Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2015, 23:41   #2056
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiloop View Post
The Alpha front headlamp set is available in the workshop for Rs. 17,000 a side (Obviously, it will not be light-sensing (automatic)).
Not yet available in the accessories.
Source: NEXA Wazirpur, New Delhi
That's pretty good if it includes the xenon bulb and ballast. The bulb is usually sold separately.
Old 11th October 2015, 23:55   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That's pretty good if it includes the xenon bulb and ballast. The bulb is usually sold separately.
Hello

I am having the toughest time of my life deciding between the Ciaz and the Scross (have taken 6 test drives of 1.3 and 4 of Ciaz over the last couple of months). I'll reserve a separate post for the dilemma.

Today, while scouting for Ciaz concept tail LED headlights in New Delhi, I came across various vendors, one of whose customers suggested that milky white HIDs/Projector headlamps (front) are no good for the highway as the range of light is very low. Also, white light does not rend fog as effectively as the yellow one. He suggested me to stick with the stock HIDs/Projectors and just go for RING (angel lights) around them and cascading type DRLs.

My question - Scross too has milky white bi-xenon lamps. Are they too inefficient for fog? (this question does not consider the presence of fog lamps)
Old 12th October 2015, 00:45   #2058
Senior - BHPian

The more I am learning about S-Cross the more I am convinced that it will be a dark horse for MSIL and in the future it will be selling in very good numbers.
I remember very well that when Wagon R was launched it was struggling vis-a-vis Santro but look today, how it conquered the market and steadily established itself as a reliable workhorse, I am sure same feat would be emulated by S-Cross. The neutral design would help a lot in that regard.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 12:29   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Are JK Elanzo tire, which comes as a standard fitments with SCross available in market? I am not able to see any details online. If yes what is the price they can be bought at?
Old 12th October 2015, 12:51   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Are JK Elanzo tire, which comes as a standard fitments with SCross available in market? I am not able to see any details online. If yes what is the price they can be bought at?
Yes they are available, ask for "Elanzo NXT (TL) 205/60 R 16 104" model with the dealers. This is the specific tyre by model that you can find on their website - www.jktyrecartyres.com that is recommended for S Cross. You can find a dealer through the dealer locator tool on the website.

But, are you trying to sell the tyres on your S Cross or you intend to purchase them? if it is the former, you can exchange the tyres at any center where you are getting the tires changed. But if it is the later, please note that this tyre is only recommended for S Cross. Moreover I would not recommend this tyre. You are good to consider a different brand - Bridgestone, Goodyear, Michelin, etc.,

Hope this helps
Satishtv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 13:00   #2061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
Yes they are available, ask for "Elanzo NXT (TL) 205/60 R 16 104" model with the dealers. This is the specific tyre by model that you can find on their website - www.jktyrecartyres.com that is recommended for S Cross. You can find a dealer through the dealer locator tool on the website.

But, are you trying to sell the tyres on your S Cross or you intend to purchase them? if it is the former, you can exchange the tyres at any center where you are getting the tires changed. But if it is the later, please note that this tyre is only recommended for S Cross. Moreover I would not recommend this tyre. You are good to consider a different brand - Bridgestone, Goodyear, Michelin, etc.,

Hope this helps
Actually I am considering this tyre for my Ecosport. Any specific reason for not going for this tyre?I am not looking for superior grip levels rather I am looking for longevity. Ecosport Titanium and SCross have same same size and not sure why JK website is not listing Elanzo as an option for Ecosport and why not Vectra as an option for SCross.
Old 12th October 2015, 13:11   #2062
BHPian

Quote:
Actually I am considering this tyre for my Ecosport. Any specific reason for not going for this tyre?I am not looking for superior grip levels rather I am looking for longevity. Ecosport Titanium and SCross have same same size and not sure why JK website is not listing Elanzo as an option for Ecosport and why not Vectra as an option for SCross.
Okay, while I answer this I realize this may be going off topic, , mods please remove this post if required.

If you need a tyre to last for a long time then what you need is a hard compound tyre and that is what I presume you are looking for in the Elanzo's. I would instead suggest Bridgestone. These tyres may cost another 1.5 K more but they come with the best side wall protection and better grip. The only reason I am not recommending the Elanzo's is that you will feel the lack of road grip in daily conditions, the performance will dip even more when driving on highways, rainy conditions, ghats, etc.,
Old 12th October 2015, 14:29   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
I am not looking for superior grip levels rather I am looking for longevity.
Quote:
If you need a tyre to last for a long time then what you need is a hard compound tyre and that is what I presume you are looking for in the Elanzo's. I would instead suggest Bridgestone. These tyres may cost another 1.5 K more but they come with the best side wall protection and better grip.
I agree with Satishtv on the reliability and durability of the Bridgestones. In fact, I'm using Turanza ER60s on my Esteem since 45000 kms and the difference from the stock JKs is significant - only 2 punctures, considerable noise reduction and far better cornering.

The only problem with sourcing Bridgestone's is the availability in that size. The places I checked were essentially tyre & alloy shops and none of them was able to organise the Potenza G3s (9200/tyre). Perhaps, Michelin becomes the preferred choice at that price point

PS: With most BHPians opting to swap their JKs on delivery, you could consider picking up a new set for a reasonable price. What with less than 50 KMs on the odo they'll be as good as new
Old 13th October 2015, 12:44   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiloop View Post
Hello

I am having the toughest time of my life deciding between the Ciaz and the Scross (have taken 6 test drives of 1.3 and 4 of Ciaz over the last couple of months). I'll reserve a separate post for the dilemma.

Today, while scouting for Ciaz concept tail LED headlights in New Delhi, I came across various vendors, one of whose customers suggested that milky white HIDs/Projector headlamps (front) are no good for the highway as the range of light is very low. Also, white light does not rend fog as effectively as the yellow one. He suggested me to stick with the stock HIDs/Projectors and just go for RING (angel lights) around them and cascading type DRLs.

My question - Scross too has milky white bi-xenon lamps. Are they too inefficient for fog? (this question does not consider the presence of fog lamps)
Another dent in my pursuit for one the two cars - NEXA Gurgaon says Alpha lights are available in the workshop but as per policy the workshop will not fit the lights in any model but Alpha.

My RM says, aap bahar se lagwalena lamps, alloys to lagwa hi rahe ho.
The Gold coin scheme, by the way, continues into the navratras as well.
Old 13th October 2015, 14:40   #2065
BHPian

This is more of a general query. I do not use my S Cross during the weekdays. I only use it for family travel in the weekends. I am concerned if this will impact the diesel engine or any other mechanical aspects of the car. I understand that this is a modern diesel engine and there should not be any challenges but still want to get your perspective. I have only owned petrol cars earlier; therefore the confusion. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 13th October 2015, 14:44   #2066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is more of a general query. I do not use my S Cross during the weekdays. I only use it for family travel in the weekends. I am concerned if this will impact the diesel engine or any other mechanical aspects of the car. I understand that this is a modern diesel engine and there should not be any challenges but still want to get your perspective. I have only owned petrol cars earlier; therefore the confusion. Thanks for your help in advance.
No worries if your car remains idle over the week and is driven around only during the week ends. However ensure you don't end up doing short trips over the week end. Actually short trips are stressful on the engine as the engine does not get sufficient time to reach its optimum operating temperature
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 17:51   #2067
t0m
BHPian

A bit off topic but did not want to start a new thread for this.

Lost one of my Michelin P3STs yesterday. Rather stupid way to do it, but I swear was not able to feel that one of the tyres has a puncture before i travelled a good 6 kms, might be the new car or the handling. I have been driving for over 20 years now and this is the first time this has happened. Now the tyre is not completely gone, infact the tyre guy who fixed the puncture said it is not badly damaged. The "Michelin" inscription on the side wall is gone, so that tells that the tyre has suffered erosion. I got it again inspected by my freindly neighborhood tyre guy and he said the tyre is fine, i just need to be careful with the tyre pressure if i want to use it.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20151013_180002.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20151013_175939.jpg

Should i go ahead and replace the tyre as it might have an effect on the performance or life of the other three tyres and of course saftey purposes. I have an option to replace with the stock JK, will need to pay around 5K for a new one and i can use the partially damaged one as the spare tyre. This way i will again have 4 new Michelins in 5K. Shall i go for a replacement or friends have some other suggestions?

Also does it make sense to invest in a tyre pressure monitoring system? The S Cross does not come with a built in one so we would need an after market one.

Last edited by t0m : 13th October 2015 at 18:02.
t0m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 18:39   #2068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0m View Post
Shall i go for a replacement or friends have some other suggestions?

Also does it make sense to invest in a tyre pressure monitoring system?.
That was bad! I strongly suggest that you should replace this ASAP. Tyres are the sole base for ensuring safety firsthand, the tyre looks as it had 30k+ of ride on to it. Moreover, i still cant belive Michelin It is!

Secondly, the best practice to follow is to check the tyre pressure every single time , the fuel is filled. It hardly takes 5+ minutes on top of the fuel fill time. This will ensure that tyres are intact with optimal pressure. This saves you atleast 6 Grands

I drove everyday from Dwarka to Greater Noida, which is around 130+ Kms each day, I fill in the gas every 5 th day. My honda city diesel delivers 19 KMPL Avg easily as most of the stretch is on highway roads. I practice the above cause of checking the tyre pressure every 5 days,

Result: In my 49k+ KMS of ODO running, i only had a puncture once

Last edited by adik1984 : 13th October 2015 at 18:40.
adik1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 18:48   #2069
t0m
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adik1984 View Post
That was bad! I strongly suggest that you should replace this ASAP. Tyres are the sole base for ensuring safety firsthand, the tyre looks as it had 30k+ of ride on to it. Moreover, i still cant belive Michelin It is!

Secondly, the best practice to follow is to check the tyre pressure every single time , the fuel is filled. It hardly takes 5+ minutes on top of the fuel fill time. This will ensure that tyres are intact with optimal pressure. This saves you atleast 6 Grands

I drove everyday from Dwarka to Greater Noida, which is around 130+ Kms each day, I fill in the gas every 5 th day. My honda city diesel delivers 19 KMPL Avg easily as most of the stretch is on highway roads. I practice the above cause of checking the tyre pressure every 5 days,

Result: In my 49k+ KMS of ODO running, i only had a puncture once
Thanks Adik, i am planning to go for a replacement tomorrow. And i do check tyre pressure every time i get my car refuelled. Guess tye puncture occurred before i reached my office yesterday and while the car was parked for the day the tyre got deflated. I think i should develop a habit of checking the tyre pressure everytime i start my car after a substantial amount of time.

Coming back to the second question, are tyre pressure monitoring systems any success? Does installing one makes sense?
t0m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 18:58   #2070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0m View Post
Coming back to the second question, are tyre pressure monitoring systems any success? Does installing one makes sense?
I don't think so, It is only a Gimmick to which many people fall prey to! Btw, if it comes as a standard accessory, it is ok.

Secondly, the TPMS which one has to order ftom outside, needs to be screwed on to the tyre valves, what if it gets stolen! Thieves are a plenty in Delhi-NCR
adik1984 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks