Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2015, 16:35   #2116
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Limited Edition S-Cross at Dealer. Extra cost for this mod-Rs.15,000.
Sorry, but this looks ugly and costly!
Old 26th October 2015, 16:59   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
What a write-up Speed Demon! Excellent! I am almost tempted to trade-in my SX4 Diesel for the DDiS 320!
But wait, I am so smitten with my car that I just spent a Lakh to totally rejuvenate it! Got to run it for another 4 years. My kids simply refuse to sit in any other vehicle, especially for long-distance travel!
Sx4 ddis is a cruiser and king in terms of comfort.
Scross can't beat it.
DDIS 320 has lag and the turbo kick isn't sensational to make you grin every time.
However on a highway at speeds above 100kph, it would climb up speeds in a hurry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I drove the 1.6 a few days back, and was fully expecting that engine to blow me away. But it didn't happen sadly. What didn't help was the fact that I drove in the city and the lag and the gruffness of the engine was more pronounced than the immense torque on the offer. Need to take one more TD with some open roads. Besides, the TD car had some 9800 clicks on the Odo and near its service.
Exactly same feeling after driving the DDIS 320.
8 years back drove the Getz CRDi and it pasted an instant ear to ear grin everytime the turbo kicked in.
With 320Nm torque I was expecting something similar and planning to replace the Getz with DDIS 320 but naah, it isn't worth 13 lacs plus for the base model.
Engine NVH is almost same as 1.3 DDIS.
However, the handling and composure at high speeds is very mature. Braking is sharp with all 4 discs.

Last edited by kpzen : 26th October 2015 at 17:13.
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 23:13   #2118
BHPian

Hello Friends
Finally got the delivery of my 1.3 zeta today. A sincere thanks to all Team BHP members who have posted reviews on S cross. Special thanks to sandygordon for his first ownership report, which was most important trigger for me to close my decision.

Like most people even I had my eyes on Creta and S cross. Once Creta prices were announced mind was not ready to accept a 15 lakh plus pricing and yet missing on many features.
The purchase got postponed and waited patiently for S cross pricing. I was really hoping for 1.6 DDiS to be next car, but unfortunately the pricing again killed the enthusiasm.
Yet prompted by few initial test drive responses, I went ahead and did the test drive and found the 1.3 version to be adequately powered for my needs. Before booking the car I actually did 3 test drives and it just kept getting better.

Finally decided to close the matter and booked DDiS 1.3 Zeta. Most VFM model IMO.

Regarding experience, I guess it’s been better than normal dealerships. The RM is able to take care of almost all aspects and the communications are more prompt. Over all I would say it’s certainly better than normal dealerships and gives you a premium feel IMO.

Now coming to the car, got the delivery today, Sai showroom is almost 40 kms away from my house and had a chance for a good long first drive.

Positives:-
1) Very smooth drive.
2) Acceptable NHV levels.
3) Smart play system is a breeze, rather in 1 hour drive I got so use to using phone through system, that I was wondering, how to manage calls without it !!!!!!!
4) Voice recognition in the system is superb. Works fantastic.
5) FE was 18.9 after completing the drive, though only 42 kms so far.
6) Pick up is very smooth and it’s fun to drive. Will have to check the same on highway though.
7) Driving position and comfort is top most. Rather I would say absolutely perfect.

Negatives:-
1) I found the gear changing to be little hard. (This could be because of it being new. Not sure. Please guide if its problem)
2) Driver side mirror gets reflection of the right most ac vent silver strip. Not sure if anybody has noticed it. I found it quite bugging all the while. Might take time getting used to it.
3) The locking system is little crazy. To open all 5 locks we need to press black sensor twice or even the open lock on the main key needs to be pressed twice. If we press once only the driver side gets unlocked. (Friends If I am missing any trick here, please correct me).

So far so good and I very very excited. Looking forward to more drives and will keep posting updates.
akshatmangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 23:25   #2119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Are you sure its 15.25 OTR, its close to 16.25 OTR in Chennai after the 90k discount thrown in
Yes, its approx 16.15 before discounts. The road tax might be higher in Chennai, its 10% here for cars above 10L.
Old 27th October 2015, 00:47   #2120
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, its approx 16.15 before discounts. The road tax might be higher in Chennai, its 10% here for cars above 10L.
You are correct its 15% in TN and that causes a whopping 1 lac difference.

With Baleno pricing its sheer confusion now, yes both of them are different but Baleno is definitely value for money. UV cut glass available in Baleno but not Scross

For a place like Chennai UV cut glass would have been very ideal.

Also looks like leather seats are not available in the Alpha version of Beleno.
Old 27th October 2015, 05:36   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
I drove the 1.6 a few days back, and was fully expecting that engine to blow me away. But it didn't happen sadly. What didn't help was the fact that I drove in the city and the lag and the gruffness of the engine was more pronounced than the immense torque on the offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
8 years back drove the Getz CRDi and it pasted an instant ear to ear grin everytime the turbo kicked in.
With 320Nm torque I was expecting something similar and planning to replace the Getz with DDIS 320 but naah, it isn't worth 13 lacs plus for the base model.

Like I mentioned, the surge from the DDiS isn't as violent like what you get in the Cruze, or indeed the old CRDi Hyundais. But it is relentless. Maybe the 320Nm numbers had you over hyped, but trust me, if you hoof it, she'll be lunging forward every time.

The thing is, you don't feel the car gaining speed unless you glance at the speedo. Does that take away from the thrill? Perhaps.

On a side note, I do agree that Maruti needs to work on improving the NVH levels. The super silent Creta is on another level!
Speed.Demon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 06:08   #2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatmangal View Post
2) Driver side mirror gets reflection of the right most ac vent silver strip. Not sure if anybody has noticed it. I found it quite bugging all the while. Might take time getting used to it.
3) The locking system is little crazy. To open all 5 locks we need to press black sensor twice or even the open lock on the main key needs to be pressed twice. If we press once only the driver side gets unlocked. (Friends If I am missing any trick here, please correct me).
Congratulations on getting the car!

2. I have the reflection of the AC vent on the driver side window as well.
3. That can be configured in the settings. Single click to unlock all doors.
kool_maverik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 06:41   #2123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Sx4 ddis is a cruiser and king in terms of comfort.
Scross can't beat it.
DDIS 320 has lag and the turbo kick isn't sensational to make you grin every time.
Engine NVH is almost same as 1.3 DDIS.
However, the handling and composure at high speeds is very mature. Braking is sharp with all 4 discs.
I dont completeley agree with that SX4 comment. SX4 is way more bouncy especially at the rear. On good road will be a bit faster I agree.

The torque in the 320 is less peaky and you will have to reach 1700+ rpm for getting the shove. It does not give a kick with the 'pinned back' feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatmangal View Post
Hello Friends
Finally got the delivery of my 1.3 zeta today. A sincere thanks to all Team BHP members who have posted reviews on S cross. Special thanks to sandygordon for his first ownership report, which was most important trigger for me to close my decision.
Glad I was able to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Like I mentioned, the surge from the DDiS isn't as violent like what you get in the Cruze, or indeed the old CRDi Hyundais. But it is relentless. Maybe the 320Nm numbers had you over hyped, but trust me, if you hoof it, she'll be lunging forward every time.

The thing is, you don't feel the car gaining speed unless you glance at the speedo. Does that take away from the thrill? Perhaps.

On a side note, I do agree that Maruti needs to work on improving the NVH levels. The super silent Creta is on another level!
Engine noise is too much for a 16+L Car. But for a 12 L diesel car, it is acceptable. Better than a linea multijet or the duster. Verna is the king of low engine NVH. Creta is a close second.

The property of masking speeds is an S cross forte. Even in town you feel you are going slow.

Heard that Maruti is planning to hike the Zeta prices and trying to keep the delta as the VFM option. Heard from Nexa RM that Maruti will probably increase price of Zeta and Delta by 20-30k by November first week. This will push zeta out of the VFM zone and Delta will be the most VFM car. This needs confirmation. Probably Maruti is waiting for the festive season to end. Can someone confirm this?
Old 27th October 2015, 07:03   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Heard that Maruti is planning to hike the Zeta prices and trying to keep the delta as the VFM option. Heard from Nexa RM that Maruti will probably increase price of Zeta and Delta by 20-30k by November first week. This will push zeta out of the VFM zone and Delta will be the most VFM car. This needs confirmation. Probably Maruti is waiting for the festive season to end. Can someone confirm this?
I too heard the same from RKS Nexa. If that happens, out goes S-Cross from my shopping preference. I'm waiting for the year end discounts on Duster and TD of facelifted Ertiga to finalize my upgrade. TUV300 is also lurching somewhere in the corner, with Zest saying to me "I'm ready whenever your UV fever dies down". Talk about Cross shopping, eh.
mrbaddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 09:56   #2125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Heard that Maruti is planning to hike the Zeta prices and trying to keep the delta as the VFM option. This will push zeta out of the VFM zone and Delta will be the most VFM car. This needs confirmation. Probably Maruti is waiting for the festive season to end. Can someone confirm this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
I too heard the same from RKS Nexa
If this is true, Maruti Suzuki seem to making way for the pricing of 'Vitara Brezza', the CUV slotted below the S Cross and above Baleno.

With Baleno pricing looks like S Cross will not be positioned in a petrol guise, not sure about Vitara B though!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 12:11   #2126
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
If this is true, Maruti Suzuki seem to making way for the pricing of 'Vitara Brezza', the CUV slotted below the S Cross and above Baleno.

With Baleno pricing looks like S Cross will not be positioned in a petrol guise, not sure about Vitara B though!
Maruti is creating nice space for Vitara Brezza here, with no Petrol for SCross and no DDiS90 for Baleno.

IMO, this Small Vitara DDiS90 will come in the 7L - 9L range, undercutting Ecosport Diesel by 1L, and placed 75K over Baleno.
Old 27th October 2015, 14:22   #2127
BHPian

They still have space for bringing the 1.4 boosterjet engine in this car. that will be such a hoot to drive. But I think very slim chance of getting it here. Even though china gets it.
Old 27th October 2015, 15:46   #2128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whichcarnow View Post
They still have space for bringing the 1.4 boosterjet engine in this car. that will be such a hoot to drive. But I think very slim chance of getting it here. Even though china gets it.
We really can not compare China with India. China gets a lot more things than we get. They have better buying power, far far better roads, different mindset and many more. 1.6 is such a hoot to drive as per the reviews, but how many 1.6s ownership reviews are there in TBHP?

A better and imported engine (as of now) will cost more and then we will crib more. A MARUTI costing more does not go down well with us Indians.
Old 27th October 2015, 15:53   #2129
Senior - BHPian

MSIL may give the Smart Hybrid treatment to the SCross to benefit from the reduced excise duty asi in case of the Ciaz. This will surely make it more VFM as the excise would halve to 12% from 24 %.

The S Cross 1.6 can surely do with this treatment as it will make this car a lot more affordable.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 19:43   #2130
t0m
BHPian

Is it just me or the remote key range is very limited. It only works when the car is in the line of sight and the remote actually pointed towards it. My Verna and Elantra remotes have amazing coverage, works even from 7-8 storeys high or across a huge parking. Just wanted to confirm before raising it with the Suzuki guys. I mean one of the most useful features i found was in a huge parking and trying to locate the car. Usually it is a breeze with my other cars but took me almost 15 minutes to locate the S cross .

Most Viewed