Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2015, 20:50   #2146
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

I like S-Cross!

BUT - whenever I see it on the road, it looks like a 2010 model by the way it looks.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 00:16   #2147
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Update :

Though stocks have come, Maruti Suzuki has instructed dealers Not to undertake this upgrade on lower variants citing there is a mismatch in wiring harness.
Those looking for Projector lamp /HID upgrade on lower variants for both S Cross/ Baleno will need to go after market.
Would that be because Maruti wants customers to choose the top end variant for the projector setup?

The setup should be mostly plug and play and would just require the addition of a Ballast for the HID bulbs.

Getting it from outside would just void the warranty.
Old 29th October 2015, 08:55   #2148
Senior - BHPian

Read reports stating Delta will soon take the place of Zeta as the variant under 10 lakhs. I hope MSIL gives it rear wash wipe and demister for sure during the respecification. Those are a big misses.

Best move will be to retain Zeta under 10 L without the OEM alloys like they did for Ertiga soon after launch. I am sure many will gladly take it.
Old 29th October 2015, 09:37   #2149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Glad to see more people sharing the feeling. I was driving around Pune city for 8-10 days visiting various car dealers with a cheque book in my hand. But it was only when I saw and test drove the S-Cross, I felt like cutting cheque and which I did. I booked the 1.3 Zeta immediately after coming back from the TD.

The only concern I had and I still have is whether I will be stuck with a car which is not selling well. That can create various problems like parts availability, resell value (not really a major concern), etc. What do you guys feel?
I think you shouldn't worry about it for the following reasons

a. The engine is India's national engine, I mean the 1.3 MJD. 1.6 is still questionable but you should still get parts when needed atleast for the next 10 years.
b. The car is unlikely to be a market dud since it has some decent booking numbers. i just don't see enough of it.

End of the day, a well maintained car definitely finds good value in the market. You just need 1 buyer and have to do your homework diligently to find that one buyer who will want to purchase your car. Accident free cars always carry better value.
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 10:02   #2150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only concern I had and I still have is whether I will be stuck with a car which is not selling well. That can create various problems like parts availability, resell value (not really a major concern), etc. What do you guys feel?
This should be the least of your concern when buying a vehicle, especially from Maruti Suzuki.

Firstly S Cross is an international model( barring the 1.3DDiS engine) and as such parts are developed locally supporting the high degree of localization especially in the DDiS variant.
They have invested Rs 600 crore for this project and any company will go to the extent of seeing how the sales can be improved.
They may do price correction, variant jig in pricing, etc or even try bringing the petrol variants ( very unlikely though)

If you connect with your RM, you can see the DDiS200 is selling well and my guess is S Cross will have a monthly sales figures of 3000+ which is not bad considering the price and the availability of Nexa showrooms as on date.

TD the car extensively and if it connects with your driving style, go for it, or else look for alternatives to your liking!

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th October 2015 at 10:15.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 10:11   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
I think you shouldn't worry about it for the following reasons
a. The engine is India's national engine, I mean the 1.3 MJD. 1.6 is still questionable but you should still get parts when needed atleast for the next 10 years.
b. The car is unlikely to be a market dud since it has some decent booking numbers. i just don't see enough of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This should be the least of your concern when buying a vehicle, especially from Maruti Suzuki.

TD the car extensively and if it connects with your driving style, go for it, or else look for alternatives to your liking!
Thanks guys for making me feel better.

I have taken a very long and satisfying TD of the vehicle and that's what sealed the deal for me.

I guess I will go ahead and get my hands on it ASAP. I am now thinking of moving up to the Alpha variant, if the EMI isn't drastically higher.

Lastly, I am not much concerned about the resale value, since I will keep this car at least for 5-6 years. If I were worried too much about resale value, I would not have bought Indica Vista Petrol 6 years ago.
Old 29th October 2015, 10:50   #2152
Senior - BHPian

For the first time since its launch, I saw a 1.6 version on the road and that too Alpha model. Is there any TBHP member who got/planning to get 1.6?
Old 29th October 2015, 10:50   #2153
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks guys for making me feel better.

I guess I will go ahead and get my hands on it ASAP. I am now thinking of moving up to the Alpha variant, if the EMI isn't drastically higher.
I am also sitting on the fence as I haven't seen any 1.6 on the road and I am not buying the DDiS200.

After I had a TD of 40 kms on the XUV 5OO W8, I am tilting towards the S Cross 1.6. If I ever buy the S Cross, it is going to be the Alpha and I'll save money till then.

Don't worry Ajay, just go ahead and get the S Cross. It'll surely not disappoint you. People will talk, let them, get what convinced you and your family. Whether it sells or whether NEXA is a good concept of not, shouldn't bother. To date as of 5 visits to Nexa, I have been treated well and the RM I have connected with, had good enough knowledge though he isn't from the automobile background.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 11:05   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Don't worry Ajay, just go ahead and get the S Cross. It'll surely not disappoint you. People will talk, let them, get what convinced you and your family. Whether it sells or whether NEXA is a good concept of not, shouldn't bother. To date as of 5 visits to Nexa, I have been treated well and the RM I have connected with, had good enough knowledge though he isn't from the automobile background.
Thanks AnurAG !

I am buying a new car purely as a daily commute, but with some bling. So 1.6 does not make sense, due to its major lag below ~2k RPM. Hence the 1.3 is what I am getting.
Old 29th October 2015, 11:17   #2155

I got a 1.6 Delta about a month and half back.

Tried to put in a brief review here but got stuck with some size and formatting issues. Also - everyone's seen it and driven it and reviewed it - havent got much to add.

The NVH was terrible initially. But after 3k km including 2 long trips it has improved considerably.
The old school audio system is excellent. Speakers and door panels not so much. Ergonomy, handling - are outstanding. Nexa - not so much.

It can match up to the faster cars on highways and the SUVs on bad roads - giving shortest overall trip times in India where every trip inevitably involves a combination of good and bad surfaces.
shrek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 12:20   #2156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I booked the 1.3 Zeta immediately after coming back from the TD.
Congrats, Ajay! What is the tentative timeline for delivery committed to you? Also, would you mind sharing why you didn't consider the Baleno?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 29th October 2015, 12:27   #2157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Congrats, Ajay! What is the tentative timeline for delivery committed to you? Also, would you mind sharing why you didn't consider the Baleno?

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks Vikram !

If I can submit all documents by this weekend, I can get delivery by next weekend, i.e before Diwali. They have the colour of my choice ready in stock and SBI processing would take about 2-3 days at max. Finger crossed.

When you see Scross and Baleno next to each other, you will realize that the build quality suddenly degrades from Scross to Baleno. Also, the ride quality of Baleno is no where near to Scross and of course the ground clearance. Frankly, for me Baleno is the Swift reborne in a new shell with eye and skin surgery. S-Cross is almost half a size bigger than Baleno in all dimensions.

This is all my opinion. Others might think differently.
ajay_satpute is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 13:41   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The pricing has to a large extent caused the 1.6 to not sell in big numbers but the 1.3 definitely is selling. But with Nexa outlets all over India just numbering a few hundred (I think < 200) could be the major reason for the numbers not being very big.
Actually the figure given out by MSIL on the day BAleno was launched is 80 outlets. They expect the figure to go upto 100 by December and 300 by next year end
cjsarora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 13:49   #2159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Would that be because Maruti wants customers to choose the top end variant for the projector setup?

The setup should be mostly plug and play and would just require the addition of a Ballast for the HID bulbs.

Getting it from outside would just void the warranty.
SCross 1.3 Alpha is 12.18 something OTR in Gurgaon.
Getting a set of good tyres Rs. 40,000
Getting a set of good alloys Rs. 40,000
Buy-back of old tyres Rs. 16,000
Buy-back of old alloys Rs. 8,000
Additional Rs. 56,000 over 12.18 making it 12.74

SCross 1.3 Zeta is 11.28 something OTR in Gurgaon.
Additional Rs. 56,000 over 11.28 makes it 11.84
Add auto-DIM IRVM and (the wishful) headlights - 7K + 38K = 45K
Net price of car = Rs. 12.29

I relinquish the leather upholstery, I relinquish the automatic sensors and I save 45K. I add 15K and get a Sunroof. (again wishful)
Old 30th October 2015, 19:29   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
I booked the 1.3 Zeta immediately after coming back from the TD.

Firstly, many congratulations and welcome to the league!

I do not see the S-Cross selling more than 1000-2000 a month, given the price point and segment it belongs to. However, the DDiS200 being the most popular diesel sold here, combined with Maruti ASS, I don"t think you sould worry at all.

BTW, The Esteem was discontinued a year after I purchased it, but never had any problems with spares for the next 8 years!
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed