Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2015, 12:34   #2236
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Today i took my parents, 72 and 65, to Nexa to check ingress and egress for them. They were super happy with the ease with which they could enter the car. Score 1 Scross!
+1 to this Ajay. Although they never complained, my parents were all smiles on being able to get in and get out without difficulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Just a short update on my S-Cross

It gets its deserved badge, finally!
Attachment 1437092
More details are on my ownership thread. The car is much more fun to drive now.
Wow! Congratulations! Can't wait to get an update on the "impact".
Old 9th November 2015, 15:55   #2237

Mod note: Post edited, correcting punctuation for readability.

Finally, my beast has arrived. A long wait has come to an end.1.3 Zeta it is. It was a pleasant buying experience. I am overwhelmed by the overall performance & comfort. Can't appreciate MSIL enough for their genuine efforts to bring a quality product at a reasonable price. I personally feel 1.3 Zeta is the most reasonable of not just the other models of the same car, but all the cars available in the market in the same segment.

I have taken the test drive of both 1.3L & 1.6L a couple of times. Though I definitely enjoyed 1.6L more while on the highway, I still feel 1.3L has an edge considering the city driving conditions. I loved the way MSIL got rid of all the buttons in exchange for a 7 inch touch screen making it a no non-sense cabin, in both S-Cross & Baleno. I hardly spent any time to really get acquainted with the functions & it is quite intuitive, if we are not making the mistake of comparing it with the intuitiveness of Android & iOS. Though 1.6L gives us a sense of freedom compared to 1.3L, 1.3L is not a disappointment in any sense. I loved every bit of it.

Suspensions are amazing. Testing Cruise Control on the ring road for the first time was such a delightful experience. I was super excited being able to accelerate the car like a toy with just a push of a button keeping my right leg folded. Not a moment when I felt any lack of power while on the highway. It definitely gave me the experience of a full fledged luxury car. My wife simply refused to get down after a 40km drive. She surprised me by noticing all the differences in the overall performance compared to my old Verna & Polo.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_6171.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_6181.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_2363.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th November 2015 at 15:59. Reason: Mod note: Post edited, correcting punctuation for readability.
sailukitta is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 16:55   #2238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Hello All,

I've booked the S-Cross 1.3 Zeta for 12,00,500/- (approx) in Bangalore. Was just curious has anybody else got a better deal? Should I negotiate a little more?

Thanks in advance.
This is like Rs 10K less than what appears on the price list I got from Nexa JP Nagar. So it looks good.

I think you should look at the basic accessories they would have bundled and see if they are worth the money. (I am assuming basic accessories like mud-flaps, sil-guards, body-cover, car-care kit with micro-fiber cloth/shampoo etc are included in the cost you mentioned). You can omit those you don't need and ask them to deduct further. They have a spreadsheet which shows per item cost, on their ipad.

I may not be right, but I thought the Auto dimming IRVM isn't there in 1.3 Zeta. Ask them to provide this for free. I asked and did get an okay, but I ended up buying 1.6 alpha. Also, in fact, when I was considering 1.6 zeta for a few days, the RM did agree provide reverse camera for free.

Another thing is that their insurance is costlier. That's another item where you can ask for a better price. Call another insurer, get a quote and then ask Nexa to match. Even if you don't want the hassle of taking care of insurance, just do the call and tell the RM, giving him the impression you mean it. If he calls your bluff and you're too tired of this shopping and just want to get the car, like me, go with Nexa
Old 10th November 2015, 16:33   #2239
Senior - BHPian

I saw a lot of boxes of 'Day time running lights - S Cross original accessory' at the Nexa showroom. Looks like people who are buying Zeta and lower variants, are demanding these a lot.

Nexa, Baner, Pune delivered 15+ S Cross' yesterday alone, out of which only one was 1.6 and rest all were 1.3. Only 2 Alphas out of those 15 and rest all Zetas.
Old 10th November 2015, 18:22   #2240
t0m
BHPian

Quote:
I saw a lot of boxes of 'Day time running lights - S Cross original accessory' at the Nexa showroom. Looks like people who are buying Zeta and lower variants, are demanding these a lot.

Nexa, Baner, Pune delivered 15+ S Cross' yesterday alone, out of which only one was 1.6 and rest all were 1.3. Only 2 Alphas out of those 15 and rest all Zetas.
I dont think S Crozz has DRLs. These are simple LED parking lights. Or are they actually giving DRLs as accessories?
Old 10th November 2015, 19:34   #2241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0m View Post
I dont think S Crozz has DRLs. These are simple LED parking lights. Or are they actually giving DRLs as accessories?
The box clearly said "Day time running light -SCross original accessory". So if we believe what's written on the box, then its got to be that.

I have about 40k in my hand to choose quite a few accessories. What would you guys suggest besides seat covers? Gear lock is one more accessory i have in mind.
Old 10th November 2015, 22:19   #2242
t0m
BHPian

Quote:

I have about 40k in my hand to choose quite a few accessories. What would you guys suggest besides seat covers? Gear lock is one more accessory i have in mind.
The White S Cross definitely asks for a black 3M job on the roof.
Old 10th November 2015, 22:23   #2243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srideep233 View Post
This is like Rs 10K less than what appears on the price list I got from Nexa JP Nagar. So it looks good.

I think you should look at the basic accessories they would have bundled and see if they are worth the money. (I am assuming basic accessories like mud-flaps, sil-guards, body-cover, car-care kit with micro-fiber cloth/shampoo etc are included in the cost you mentioned). You can omit those you don't need and ask them to deduct further. They have a spreadsheet which shows per item cost, on their ipad.

I may not be right, but I thought the Auto dimming IRVM isn't there in 1.3 Zeta. Ask them to provide this for free. I asked and did get an okay, but I ended up buying 1.6 alpha. Also, in fact, when I was considering 1.6 zeta for a few days, the RM did agree provide reverse camera for free.

Another thing is that their insurance is costlier. That's another item where you can ask for a better price. Call another insurer, get a quote and then ask Nexa to match. Even if you don't want the hassle of taking care of insurance, just do the call and tell the RM, giving him the impression you mean it. If he calls your bluff and you're too tired of this shopping and just want to get the car, like me, go with Nexa

Hi Srideep,

Thanks a million for this. You're right, this is with the basic accessory kit and a flat 10k off on the price as per the price list. He's also agreed to throw in the mirror and the sporty pedals. I'm also pushing for window sun shades (I have them on my Ciaz, not sure if they're available on the S-Cross yet).

I might just give the insurance shopping / running about a miss, considering I just won't have the time. But I will ask to lower his price for insurance (by quoting a rival offer) in the hope he'll lower the price himself, and if he doesn't then at least for the leverage to negotiate for some more accessories.

I was just wondering if there was any diwali / dushera discounts that I missed out on.
Old 11th November 2015, 10:38   #2244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
I might just give the insurance shopping / running about a miss, considering I just won't have the time. But I will ask to lower his price for insurance (by quoting a rival offer) in the hope he'll lower the price himself, and if he doesn't then at least for the leverage to negotiate for some more accessories.
My RM mentioned to a friend I had referred that discounts are applicable to all customers who have Marutis in their stables.

About the insurance, I had an NCB certificate and that saved me 10k flat!!
Also, ask them to provide you a quote from TATA AIG. They have a strong tie-up with Maruti Insurance and are reasonably priced for comprehensive B2B.

Good luck on your new car!
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 16:26   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
My RM mentioned to a friend I had referred that discounts are applicable to all customers who have Marutis in their stables.

Good luck on your new car!
I managed to extract that same discount for my Tata Vista. So even if they say its for Maruti vehicle only, you CAN get it for other brands. Just dont give up.
Old 11th November 2015, 20:37   #2246
Senior - BHPian

How is the experience with the cruise control of S Cross? Anybody?

I have never used or even seen anyone using cruise control, so i am like an infant in this area. What i understand is that i need to use just the brakes and rest is controlled by the system. Right?
Old 11th November 2015, 21:16   #2247
BHPian

It's pretty straightforward and usable only on highways.

a. Get to the speed you wish to (Cruise engages only after 40 KMPH)
b. Press the Cruise button and then the Set - button.

The car will then hold the speed. You can use the +/- buttons to increase or decrease speed and the cancel button to disengage cruise control. Cruise control also disengages if you hit the brake pedal.

It's very convenient to use on an open highway. I used it on my last trip and it made my driving more easier.

NOTE: Whatever you do, with cruise control on, you must always maintain your vigil and concentration on the road.
Old 11th November 2015, 21:42   #2248
BHPian

Quote:
How is the experience with the cruise control of S Cross? Anybody?
I have never used or even seen anyone using cruise control, so i am like an infant in this area. What i understand is that i need to use just the brakes and rest is controlled by the system. Right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
NOTE: Whatever you do, with cruise control on, you must always maintain your vigil and concentration on the road.
Works like a charm! You have to be on the vigil just like sudeepg mentioned.

Quoting from my recently published ownership review:
Quote:
g. BONUS: Navigation, Bluetooth (works like a charm!), a very practical Reverse Camera, Cruise Control (never anticipated how useful this could be), 40:60 folding seats, all Disk Brakes, HiD Projectors (chose Zeta, eventually, not applicable) – CHECK
Quote:
Since I hadn't crossed the 1000 kms mark on the ODO, I restrained myself to under 100 kmph - the cruise function came really handy here. I was able to engage cruise control on multiple stretches, sometimes for as long as 4-6 kms - I guess you need to be on a 4 lane barricaded expressway to be able to use it for longer. Usability was top notch - extremely easy to disengage, reengage or modify speed.

Last edited by pannags : 11th November 2015 at 21:44.
Old 11th November 2015, 23:45   #2249

Hi,

Has anyone found out how to update the pre-loaded maps? I did not get any details from my Nexa RM.

Thanks,
Old 12th November 2015, 16:51   #2250
BHPian

Hi everyone,

One of my colleagues recently bought an S-Cross here in Chennai and he has been loving the NEXA experience so far.

Yesterday, while cleaning the engine bay, he noticed that rust had already formed in a few places (bolt fastening area) in the engine and was surprised. He probably noticed it because the engine bay was so clean. Pictures shown below.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross1.jpg
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross2.jpg

When he told me about this, I checked my 2 year old Swift Dzire and noticed the same thing on my engine as well (like the first picture). I had never noticed it until today.

Question 1: Is this normal in a Fiat 1.3 L engine? Please advise!
Question 2: Can other S-Cross owners please check and see if they have rust as well?
Question 3: Should anything be done about this? A paint job or something?

Thanks in advance!
Nivatakavacha

Most Viewed