Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2015, 22:03   #2626
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Wonder if this whole pricing thing was a super smart marketing strategy. Launch it at a very high price, make use of the hype and Maruti muscle to ensure a good initial couple of months.

Follow it up with the Baleno which launched at much lower than expected prices. Ensured that the high level of interest translated into huge number of bookings.

Now you have a huge footfall in the Nexa showroom, now drop the S-Cross to more realistic pricing and create a perceived VFM/discounted image- tap the buyer base not very happy with the Baleno (either due to waiting or performance) and hence ensure good sales for the S Cross without really impacting the Baleno
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 22:23   #2627
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Wonder if this whole pricing thing was a super smart marketing strategy.
May not work in their favour as always as conceived! Such strategies will back fire hard and the situation will be a no-return one.

All the hype, praises are dropped the moment the pricing was revealed and all the one who had their cheque books ready went straight to Hyundai showroom and got themselves a Creta!

This is not a reversible and has hit many customers!

The steep price cut only says that they are begging for customers and realising that their overconfidence was the worst ever! They have lost the plot with that pricing. Creta itself was considered pricey and to beat that Maruti came with the S-Cross's pricing just to shift the bashing from Creta to S-Cross!
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 07:55   #2628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Wonder if this whole pricing thing was a super smart marketing strategy. Launch it at a very high price, make use of the hype and Maruti muscle to ensure a good initial couple of months.
New fiesta never recovered from the pricing debacle despite a re-launch at a VFM pricing. Same applies to S-Cross 1.6 here.

Instead they could have priced it lower and then increased it which would have given a momentum to the sales of 1.6. Bad pricing strategy, I would say.

S-Cross 1.6 pricing made Creta VFM.

Last edited by arun_josie : 18th December 2015 at 08:09.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 09:38   #2629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
New fiesta never recovered from the pricing debacle despite a re-launch at a VFM pricing. Same applies to S-Cross 1.6 here.

Instead they could have priced it lower and then increased it which would have given a momentum to the sales of 1.6. Bad pricing strategy, .
You couldn't be more right about this, sir. I own a Fiesta. Got the top end Titanium for ₹12.50L on road in Bangalore, sheer value for money. I bought it for driving pleasure, so it didn't matter what competition was offereing at that time, but IIRC, City diesel with start stop, auto viper etc costed ₹2L more, similar for Verna. Ciaz would have costed ₹1.5L more perhaps, and Vento was not as feature loaded to begin with. Still, Fiesta didn't sell. This should have been a learning for Maruti. If they had kept launch price of the S Cross 1.6 at current prices, it would have sold more, seeing more S Cross on roads would help sale of 1.3L also.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 11:08   #2630
Senior - BHPian

Happy Morning.
Booked TWO Scross 1.6
1. Silver
2. Grey (Yet to be confirmed)

However, a lot of things to be sorted before taking delivery.
kpzen is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 11:10   #2631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Happy Morning.
Booked TWO Scross 1.6
1. Silver

I see from the forum that you were a great fan of the diesel torque(seeing your diesel getz ownership), but did you by any chance think that you could get 640NM of torque by just booking two of these beasts at once?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 11:15   #2632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I see from the forum that you were a great fan of the diesel torque(seeing your diesel getz ownership), but did you by any chance think that you could get 640NM of torque by just booking two of these beasts at once?
Haha

History repeats itself.
Two Getz CRDis were also booked together 8 years back.

Last edited by kpzen : 18th December 2015 at 11:20.
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 11:24   #2633
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki offering discounts upto 3 lakhs on S-Cross 1.6 !!

This was bound to happen.
Actually I feel Maruti Suzuki has been over ambitious with this car.
They did wait for Creta's price (which is overpriced in first place) and followed them blindly.
The same package with slightly masculine front face would have faced much better fate.
When you want to sell a car as SUV then it should look like an SUV.
Even MSIL accepts that this is not a SUV in their tagline which says 'The Premium Crossover' and then they pit it against Creta ' The Perfect SUV' grin emoticon
Old 18th December 2015, 12:00   #2634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Maruti Suzuki offering discounts upto 3 lakhs on S-Cross 1.6 !!
That's a mouth watering discount I think it will be only around 80K more than the 1.3 when we compare the top-end version.

Is this a official discount or only on cars lying at the dealership for a long time?

Last edited by arun_josie : 18th December 2015 at 12:01.
Old 18th December 2015, 12:19   #2635
BANNED

Quote:
Happy Morning.
Booked TWO Scross 1.6
You would be treated like God for that NEXA dealership and that SAw ould get some nice bonus during his appraisal time.

Lucky you! All the best and do check the car thoroughly as they would be at the yard since long! Do try and get the fresh batches if possible.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 13:17   #2636
BHPian

With the discounts on 1.6 on offer (so soon after the launch) and increasing a little by each month makes me annoyed with Maruti.

As someone who waited for this car for almost a year, hundred times assured by RM about the sane pricing - i felt cheated as Maruti announced the prices at launch. I feel for fellow 1.3 owners too who might have settled for the lower engine varient because of steep price difference and now see these discounts flowing around.

Maruti had a comptent product in hand. But their obsession with 1.3 ltr engine (which is brilliant btw), lack of any serious effort of adding a higher capacity diesel in its stable and over inflated pricing to launch a 'premium' brand of dealerships has seriously hit the prospects of the car.

I wish they were so over enthusiastic with NEXA brand and had launched it about 20% cheap.
Abhi99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 13:38   #2637
Distinguished - BHPian

The discounts are available at Patna also but not as much as other places. 1.3 Delta has a discount of about 50k whereas Alpha has 30k only including loyalty and other discounts. Incase of 1.6, a discount of 90k is available across all variants. My RM said that prices will increase from next month or if we look at it, discounts might be less.
Old 18th December 2015, 13:50   #2638
BHPian

For those thinking the S-Cross safety features may not be working as expected, here's a pleasant information from a real life experience.

I was on my way to office today at a speed of about 50 KMs on a main road when a santro guy joined from a side road at good speed without watching who is on the road. I almost slammed the brakes and successfully maneuvered the car to safety and stopped. My sudden instinct was to get out of the car to talk to that guy if he realized what he had just done, but couldn't move an inch. Why?

The seat belt pre-tensioner had done its job!
sudeepg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 14:35   #2639
BHPian

Quote:
Happy Morning.
Booked TWO Scross 1.6
1. Silver

Wow - Looks like history repeats itself - Planning to take a TD of 1.6 - lets see how it goes

Keep us posted of the developments
Old 18th December 2015, 14:41   #2640
Senior - BHPian

What is Maruti's plan for the S-Cross offering the cars for so much of a discount?

Is it a case of fail fast when they realise that the pricing was too ambitious and future models are going to be priced at the after discount price?

Or are they gearing up to release a facelifted version that is going to be priced at the current ex-showroom.

The former strategy would hurt them long term as customers will never trust their initial pricing at that level.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks