Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2015, 06:00   #2776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
I have observed something strange with the range feature of the S Cross. If say the range is showing as 230 kms, you start climbing a mountain the range comes down to about 140 kms. When you are coming down the range shows about 330 kms. I attribute this to the way the fuel shifts in the tank due to these changes. But, certainly this is very confusing...
This probably due to the dip in mileage while climbing up. It extra polates based on current mileage for the range. While coming down the mileage increases hence range increases. I observed similar thing in my ciaz.
sathya_g_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 07:22   #2777
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
I have observed something strange with the range feature of the S Cross. If say the range is showing as 230 kms, you start climbing a mountain the range comes down to about 140 kms. When you are coming down the range shows about 330 kms. I attribute this to the way the fuel shifts in the tank due to these changes. But, certainly this is very confusing...
IMO the calculation is correct. While going uphill, you would be on lower gears using lot more power as a result consume more fuel. On the other hand while coming downhill you have gravity helping reducing the effort of the engine and the FE will definitely be higher.

It could be due to how they place the sensors. I had noticed this in my old Santro as well. While going uphill the fuel level used to show a slight drop and once you are on the plains it used to climb up a little. However never noticed any changes while driving downhill.
SafeDrive0107 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 09:00   #2778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
i definitely feel bad for folks who bought the car when it was launched a couple of months back
I don't think any of the S Cross owners would regret, except for those who would have switched to the 1.6 due to the pricing difference now.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 10:03   #2779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive0107 View Post
IMO the calculation is correct. While going uphill, you would be on lower gears using lot more power as a result consume more fuel. On the other hand while coming downhill you have gravity helping reducing the effort of the engine and the FE will definitely be higher.

It could be due to how they place the sensors.
Totally agree. It could be because of placement of sensors. But the mileage got to increase downhill as fuel consumption is too low. Thumb rule is that you should desend in the same gear you would use for ascending the same slope. So basically even coming down you are in a lower gear. RPMs are high but its the wheels that keep revving the engine, hence fuel going in the engine is minimal, increasing the range drastically.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 11:07   #2780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I don't think any of the S Cross owners would regret, except for those who would have switched to the 1.6 due to the pricing difference now.
Not much of regrets, but would have gone for the 1.6 if they had priced it on par with the duster RXZ 110 at launch.
Old 28th December 2015, 11:52   #2781
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Rumors are rife the S Cross will get the SHVS to lower the Pricing ( DDiS320 ?, and hence the hefty discounts for clearing the 2015 stocks) , and will also come in its Petrol avatar (ZXI+?).
Let SCross come with a 1.4L NA Petrol and 1.3L Diesel SHVS engines and priced between 7L - 10L, while the new international Vitara come with the 1.4L Turbo petrol and 1.6L DDiS SHVS engines and priced between 9 - 12L.

The sub-4m Vitara 'light' can come with the 1.4L petrol and 1.3L 90BHP Diesel engines, and priced between 6-9L.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 12:02   #2782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
The sub-4m Vitara 'light' can come with the 1.4L petrol and 1.3L 90BHP Diesel engines, and priced between 6-9L.
I doubt if the sub-4m Vitara Brezza 1.4L petrol could be priced at 6 lakhs considering the tax rates over 1.2L petrols.

Edit: I just checked the Ertiga prices for Delhi and the base variant is priced at 5.99 lakhs. You are right romeomidun. It is achievable albeit at the cost of less features.

Yesterday, I went to a maruti dealer for test driving Alto K10 for a colleague. SA is mentioning that Vitara Brezza is also to go Nexa route and they are not expecting any new launches to come to regular showrooms for a while.

Last edited by mrbaddy : 28th December 2015 at 12:06.
Old 28th December 2015, 13:04   #2783

Have gone ahead and booked a 1.3 Zeta here in Pune after an initial see saw between the 1.3 Zeta and the 1.6 Delta.
Actually because of a really long weekend the RTO Registration etc was delayed and now I will be getting delivery of the vehicle maybe tomorrow or the day after.
Was supposed to drive to Coorg for the new year Storm Festival. Now I'm in two minds if I should drive the new car the first day itself over 900 kms. Any advise from fellow BHPians on if I should go ahead or precautions that I should take.
Had I got the delivery a couple of days earlier I would have probably done about 2 or 3 hundred kms but not possible now.
Have done Pune Banglore a few times before so am familiar with the roads, no problem there.
Please advise.
Paresh
Old 28th December 2015, 13:15   #2784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP3776 View Post

Had I got the delivery a couple of days earlier I would have probably done about 2 or 3 hundred kms but not
Congrats on your new car and enjoy the drive. Do not worry at all about taking your new car on a long highway trip. Just ensure you get the tyre pressure checked right after delivery as dealers inflate tyres to very high pressures, this is important so dont miss it.

Just keep the rpm in all gears below 2500 for the first 1000 kms and do not accelerate or revv her hard, no precaution other than that, enjoy your new ride.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 14:58   #2785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have gone ahead and booked a 1.3 Zeta here in Pune after an initial see saw between the 1.3 Zeta and the 1.6 Delta.
Actually because of a really long weekend the RTO Registration etc was delayed and now I will be getting delivery of the vehicle maybe tomorrow or the day after.
Was supposed to drive to Coorg for the new year Storm Festival. Now I'm in two minds if I should drive the new car the first day itself over 900 kms. Any advise from fellow BHPians on if I should go ahead or precautions that I should take.
Had I got the delivery a couple of days earlier I would have probably done about 2 or 3 hundred kms but not possible now.
Have done Pune Banglore a few times before so am familiar with the roads, no problem there.
Please advise.
Paresh
Hi Paresh,
Congratulations for your new car.

You can surely drive the car more than 900 km on the first day itself. Just remember two things:

Do not exceed 2500 rpm on the tachometer, in any gear.
Get the car serviced at around 1000 km (1st free service). So look for the ASS at or near to your destination and book an appointment there.

Reliability wise, there shall not be any issue. You are buying a good car from a good company. Do not worry.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 15:43   #2786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please advise.
Paresh
Should not be a problem at all. My brother got his S-Cross and the next day traveled 400kms Bangalore to Chennai. No issues. The car can easily handle it
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 15:50   #2787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly congratulations on your ride mate Secondly, ofcourse you can take your car on a long drive; the S-Cross' mature ride and handling setup makes it perfect for our highways. Never let the car sit at any rpm for too long though so don't cruise at one speed in one gear, keep varying the rpms and occasionally, feel free to flex your engine once in a while. Modern engines are so robust that newer tests show a marked improvement in the sealing of your piston rings when driven hard once in a while (remember to just do this perhaps only 3 times during the entire journey and just over the course of a couple of gears). Carry a spare oil filter and some bottles of engine oil because I would recommend you switch out the filter and change the oil after your trip and then proceed to do your next service only during the recommended service interval which is probably at 10k kms
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 16:38   #2788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Never let the car sit at any rpm for too long though so don't cruise at one speed in one gear, keep varying the rpms and occasionally, feel free to flex your engine once in a while.
I have a question here, a lot of suggestions say nver let the car in the same RPM for too long. Now how long is too long? How often should you look at varying the speed and RPM?
SafeDrive0107 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 17:25   #2789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a question here, a lot of suggestions say nver let the car in the same RPM for too long. Now how long is too long? How often should you look at varying the speed and RPM?
Uhm I'd say that's pretty obvious isn't it? As often as possible Ofcourse it wouldn't hurt if you let the engine spin at a certain rate constantly for a short stretch

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th December 2015 at 17:26.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 17:51   #2790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even if you drive on a highway, there will be some braking, some slopes, some overtaking, crossing some towns, tackling some two wheelers / three wheeler on the road. So you will keep changing the gears and rpm will anyway vary. So no need to worry unless all 1000 km are run on a road like Mumbai Pune expressway.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks