Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-sg.jpg  

sandygordon is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 22:35   #272
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
Hey guys,
Seeing more and more pics of the s cross its reminding me of the fiat sedici on which the sx4 is based upon. Does anyone have any info if the s cross is also based on the same , as to my naked eye the similarities are eerily similar
The Sedici is the older model SX4 cross. This is the hatch version of the SX4 available in India.

The S-cross is the all new model launched in 2013. The similarities is because the Sedici is the SX4 which is a Suzuki so there are similarities.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 22:54   #273
BHPian

Superb Review! Clinical and precise as always.

After the over the top pricing strategy adopted by Hyundai with respect to Creta, don't be surprised if Maruti follows down the same road and prices the S-Cross more than it should be. The problem is that while the Creta is an actual SUV and can get away with that pricing, the S-Cross is not an SUV/Crossover at all. Its an over inflated hatchback with a high ground clearance and a Maruti badge stuck to the front to ensnare the unsuspecting Indian public who believe any vehicle offered by Maruti is gold.

Also the Ciaz should been the first vehicle to be launched through the NEXA dealership concept and not the S-Cross

Well, only time will tell if they shall be proven right.

Last edited by sapeco : 29th July 2015 at 22:59. Reason: edit a sentence
sapeco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 23:04   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I need that 1.6L MJD. I don't mind if they sell me the engine+transmission so that I can swap it in my Swift!
That would be a fantastic option.
And if they allow me to plonk AMT to that, my car buying is solved for quite some time in future. My Swift has done 90000 KM by now.
Old 29th July 2015, 23:12   #275
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Not sure if I followed this. How does the rear quarter glass aid in relation to what you say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I still don't understand how you do this. How on earth do you look towards the rear quarter glass and how is it useful for the driver? It is almost as good as turning back to check for something.
Hey Sandeep,

I was just browsing the posts here and came across this question you had asked regarding the use of the quarter glass given at the rear.

I'll explain what happened today that made me realise the use of this glass that is given in the S-Cross.

I had parked at a restaurant that is located on the Hyderabad-Mumbai highway that has a very high flow of traffic (All sorts - Buses, cars, bikes etc) and I have parked my car in this fashion as in the image below:

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-untitled.png

I am now wanting to reverse and join the road back for proceeding home. I sit in the drivers seat and do the following:
  1. Look at the IRVM: All clear;
  2. Look at both the ORVM's: All clear.

I engage reverse and start inching back and here comes the issue/misery:

I am NOT able to spot vehicles approaching me (look at the direction of the arrow for traffic flow). Neither can I see the traffic in my ORVM nor can I see if I bend forward to peep through the rear left passenger window.

If and when I look back the left side C-Pillar is obstructing my view. At this time I remembered the post of yours for the need of this quarter glass. If I have understood your query correctly, here is my answer to it.

This is the view from my eyes when I look back to search for traffic:
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20150729_181859.jpg

It may look ornamental but helps in such situations IMO.

PS: The picture is only to display the C-pillar obstruction. I clicked it after I got some free area to park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
4. Look over your shoulder (on the respective side) for blind spots.

And 4 is where the windows and quarter glasses come into the picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
So in my opinion the rear glass area makes a hell lot of difference (so quarter glass as well should contribute)
a4anurag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 23:20   #276
BHPian

Probably off topic, but then wifey doesnt understand the obsession and fellow petro heads would know this urge to share the excitement!!

Got a call from my RM , he was pretty sure of top spec pricing of 12 ex showroom and based on that he is collecting my loan documents on Friday and starting with the process. If all goes well, I may get the car within a week of launch!! I am so desperately hoping to not see the repeat of Creta pricing fiasco and to get the car by 9th!! Wish me luck guys!

Those pics by Leo and his driving impression has made me restless now.
Abhi99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 23:22   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapeco View Post
Superb Review! Clinical and precise as always.

After the over the top pricing strategy adopted by Hyundai with respect to Creta, don't be surprised if Maruti follows down the same road and prices the S-Cross more than it should be. The problem is that while the Creta is an actual SUV and can get away with that pricing, the S-Cross is not an SUV/Crossover at all. Its an over inflated hatchback with a high ground clearance and a Maruti badge stuck to the front to ensnare the unsuspecting Indian public who believe any vehicle offered by Maruti is gold.

Also the Ciaz should been the first vehicle to be launched through the NEXA dealership concept and not the S-Cross

Well, only time will tell if they shall be proven right.
OK, so Creta is an actual SUV? Tell me something that the Creta manages to do that the S-Cross cannot?

Contrary to your belief this car doesn't have a Maruti badge in it. And maybe what you say is applicable for 'H' fans who think anything from them is premium, which is not the case these days. Maruti isn't playing any trick on the public unlike a certain H who haven't released the weight information for its latest release. Wonder what's cooking there?

As for the inflated hatchback comment, the same can be said for the Creta as well since it looks like i20 on stilts.

Ciaz doesn't have a lot of features that the S-Cross has and has rightly been launched in the regular dealership.

Let us criticize the car for all its flaws but not be blinded by contempt for the brand.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 29th July 2015 at 23:24.
SchumiFan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 23:25   #278
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi99 View Post
Got a call from my RM , he was pretty sure of top spec pricing of 12 ex showroom and based on that he is collecting my loan documents on Friday and starting with the process.
Congrats on the process initiation.

Hope the pricing indicated by your RM be true. Many hearts will shatter if they go the Creta Case.

Sandygordan will be the most affected I guess.

Sorry for the question, I haven't read your earlier posts but the 12L indicated price is for DDiS 200 or DDiS 320?
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 23:41   #279
BHPian

Quote:
He was pretty sure of top spec pricing of 12 ex showroom and based on that he is collecting my loan documents on Friday and starting with the process.
That would translate to around 13.75 L OTR here for the 1.6 alpha
I dont want all the speculations to end up like the creta case though.
Sandygordon has no space for a 'Suzuki Lazarus aka 1.3' in his garage.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 23:42   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the question, I haven't read your earlier posts but the 12L indicated price is for DDiS 200 or DDiS 320?
Thank you for the wishes bud

12 is the indicative pricing for top spec 320ddis. I plan to get 1.6 alpha if within 14 or 1.6 Zeta.
Abhi99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 23:49   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Sandygordan will be the most affected I guess.
Never.
Then Sandy-gordon will go the Hyundai way. Premium pricing for premium offering. The premium 'SUV' with premium features. Else there is always 'the duster' to wipe this board clean.

Better to be an 'ex-s cross' admirer jumping to the creta camp than an 'ex-creta' admirer jumping to the suzuki camp.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 23:59   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
OK, so Creta is an actual SUV? Tell me something that the Creta manages to do that the S-Cross cannot?
Unfortunately SchumiFan, Creta manages to look better than S-Cross and more importantly it manages to look like an SUV.

Let me make it clear, I am not someone who go by looks. I believe in the capability of the vehicle and what it offers overall. I am sure the majority here in the form are with me. But the vast majority in real-world are not like us. This belief was reinforced by a friend of mine with whom I had a conversation of Creta vs S-Cross this evening. Below are some of his quotes.

"S-Cross looks so boring. Creta looks exciting. Moreover, it is SUV."

"S-Cross looks like i20. I am sure it will compete i20. No way they are targeting SUVs like Creta or Duster with it."

When I said that S-Cross is a crossover just like Creta, which is falsely marketed as a SUV and that S-Cross DDiS 200 will compete against i20 Active / Ecosport and S-Cross DDiS 320 will compete against Duster / Creta. He said, "i20 Active is fine, but others are SUVs. And who is bothered about the engine if the car looks like i20."

Unfortunately for us enthusiasts and Maruti Suzuki, I am pretty sure the vast majority will agree with my friend's views.

Quote:
Got a call from my RM , he was pretty sure of top spec pricing of 12 ex showroom
Abhi, hope your RM quoted an estimate of 12 Lakhs ex-showroom is for the DDiS 320 Alpha variant. My hopeful and optimistic estimate is ~12.5 lakhs.

However, the pessimist side of me cautions me and warns me to be prepared to be disappointed. Reasoning:
  • For a car >4m + 1.6 L engine, the duty is going to be on the highest slab.
  • This in addition to the fully imported engine + 67% localization + premium features will make sure the price will be well above that of Ciaz.
  • Maruti clearly knows that the DDiS 320 will be a niche model and the sales will be limited. To get a good ROI, Maruti might price it a premium of ~14 lakhs.

All said, it will be really fantastic and awesome if DDiS 200 Alpha is priced below 10 lakhs ex-showroom. If this happens, I think I know what my car will be.
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 00:05   #283
BHPian

Re: Sandy Ultimatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Provisional Purchasing Plan according to cost of vehicle
Do you still have any nails left in fingers! I do bite them while waiting for S-cross pricing. I drew a similar picture to my wife but it ended even more complex with Ciaz/City/S-Cross/Duster/Lodgy/Ecosport/Creta/Verna.

Luckily We ruled out Verna (wallows a lot), Ecosport (Cramped, cannot seat 3 at back). Lodgy was ruled out by RTO (8 seaters cannot be brought under company lease, we dont like captain seats so no 7 seater).
Hyundai rules us out on Creta with its price.

Heart is leaning towards Duster, head tell me to stick to Ciaz/City.

Sounds like 1.6 will be a quite a good to get attached to heart. It is upto Maruti to impress me with its price. (I am not sure if I will go to 1.3, I feel Ciaz being lighter will perform better than S-cross with 1.3).
Old 30th July 2015, 00:05   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Reasoning:
  • For a car >4m + 1.6 L engine, the duty is going to be on the highest slab.
  • This in addition to the fully imported engine + 67% localization + premium features will make sure the price will be well above that of Ciaz.
  • Maruti clearly knows that the DDiS 320 will be a niche model and the sales will be limited. To get a good ROI, Maruti might price it a premium of ~14 lakhs.
Points well taken
So fellow s cross admirers, wait for Aug 5th. Let the RMs speculate the prices.
They might tell a lie or two to mislead you, so that they can start the process, thinking that you wont cancel the booking midway.

But Suzuki has resorted to cost cutting measures as well
1. Steering and plastics
2. Shoddy window switches
3. Ugly uninspiring alloys
4. Thin build of the body panels compared to competition
5. Atrocious JK tyres
6. Those 'leather seats'
7. Only 2 airbags
8. No rear AC vents etc. etc.
9. No SUV or a rugged crossover look

So there are some areas to counterbalance 'the loss' for importing the engine.
Moreover it is a 2013 designed car, much of its manufacturing kit can be sourced from elsewhere.
Still pricing could be high.

Last edited by sandygordon : 30th July 2015 at 00:15. Reason: Text
Old 30th July 2015, 00:15   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post

Contrary to your belief this car doesn't have a Maruti badge in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Unfortunately SchumiFan, Creta manages to look better than S-Cross and more importantly it manages to look like an SUV.
SchumiFan, i think Vigkey has summed it up quite nicely. For the normal Indian car buying public the Looks matter more than anything else especially in the SUV segment, and Hyundai knows this more than any other manufacturer. they have come a long way in terms of design from the days of the Santro.

And yes i know the S-Cross isn't going to be badged as a Maruti, but as far as the Indian Car buyer goes its a Maruti nonetheless!

The key for the S-Cross is going to be the pricing. Price it anything closer to the Creta and its doomed to fail.

Last edited by sapeco : 30th July 2015 at 00:30. Reason: text
sapeco is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks