Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2016, 15:53   #3196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/50547676.cms

Maruti halts production of 1.6L SCross, planning to launch 1.5L Petrol by May!
Is this news confirmed? Has Maruti really discontinued the 1.6 Scross? Asking this on behalf of my colleague who is interested in buying one.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 9th February 2016 at 16:05.
Old 9th February 2016, 16:28   #3197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Is this news confirmed? Has Maruti really discontinued the 1.6 Scross? Asking this on behalf of my colleague who is interested in buying one.
There is a difference between halting production and discontinuing a product!

This is anyway old news (12 Jan 2016) and they have halted production to clear existing stocks. New Stocks will come post March 2016.
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 16:36   #3198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
For New model of DDiS320 (2016) - build will happen only on order( and hence the word 'halted' being used).

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th February 2016 at 16:43.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 16:48   #3199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
For New model of DDiS320 (2016) - build will happen only on order( and hence the word 'halted' being used).
Even with reduced priced, they will only make it to order ?
If its true, then its indeed quite depressing for such a good quality product
Old 9th February 2016, 19:48   #3200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatmangal View Post
Even with reduced priced, they will only make it to order ?
If its true, then its indeed quite depressing for such a good quality product
The good news is that there a lot more S-Cross visible on the road but maybe 1 in 50 spotting is a 1.6. It is a ticklish feeling when I see one. Wish they had current pricing in August and I would have probably stretched to go for the monster. But a difference of over 1.5 lac between 1.3 Alpha and 1.6 Delta was completely no*sense and unjustified. Happy with my choice but was so close to a 1.6.
Old 9th February 2016, 19:59   #3201
BHPian

Oops, the draggers are out again and lot of them seem to be keen to write an epitaph for the 1.6. This is one efficient engine and I firmly believe that it's here to stay. We might see it on other Maruti offerings as well in the near future. Considering the kind of demand that is seen for the 1.3 vs 1.6 it only makes sense for Maruti to build one only after a booking is done. But totally removing it from the line of offerings is something that I don't see in the near future.

On another note, just completed two 800 kms trips in the last one week on my month & a half old 1.3. The experience was just awesome. The more I drive, the more I appreciate the decision to pick the S Cross over few others that I had on the list. On the first trip I had not completed the sacred 2,500 KMS and hence kept RPM around 2000 and speed around 80-85 and the car returned a praiseworthy mileage of 24. In the second trip I had very open & free roads and let it cruise at around 2,500 RPM and speed around 120 and the mileage was 21. This is certainly a lot more than I bargained for when I picked up the SCross.

On these two trips, took a few friends and relatives for a drive and these were the reactions
"Wow, when I looked at the car I never knew that this would be so good. You really have to ride in it to appreciate it."
"How did I miss test driving this before I picked up the Jazz. The comfort level is at a different level altogether"
"Buddy, this is such a nice car. Love the interiors & once inside its a great feel. Looks like you have really spent a lot of time researching and have made a good decision by not opting for the more popular ones around"
SafeDrive0107 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 20:11   #3202
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive0107 View Post
The more I drive, the more I appreciate the decision to pick the S Cross over few others that I had on the list.
This is like the Ritz, but in a more acceptable look. You need to drive it to know it.
Old 9th February 2016, 20:32   #3203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive0107 View Post
On the first trip I had not completed the sacred 2,500 KMS and hence kept RPM around 2000 and speed around 80-85 and the car returned a praiseworthy mileage of 24. In the second trip I had very open & free roads and let it cruise at around 2,500 RPM and speed around 120 and the mileage was 21. This is certainly a lot more than I bargained for when I picked up the SCross.
Do aluminum alloy engines really need running-in? I thought that was a concept relevant for cast-iron engines. I mean 2500 kms or for that matter even 10000 kms won't even scratch the cylinders or the pistons of this engine.
@viral is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 22:01   #3204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @viral View Post
Do aluminum alloy engines really need running-in? I thought that was a concept relevant for cast-iron engines. I mean 2500 kms or for that matter even 10000 kms won't even scratch the cylinders or the pistons of this engine.
For all engines it is recommended to follow the running in process.
Here is an extract from the S Cross Manual,

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20160209_215008.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 22:38   #3205
BHPian

Quote:
Ideally all engines require running in, no matter how close your tolerances are, when 2 mechanical components are coupled they will take some time to smooth out and couple perfectly.

The case is more so in the components that make up the combustion chamber, the piston, the rings and the cylinder are made up of different materials, they will have different co-efficient of expansion. The rings will need some time to make a perfect seal between the Piston and Cylinder.
Old 10th February 2016, 00:34   #3206
BHPian

My search for alloys and tires

Since the day I booked my S-Cross, I have been searching for the perfect alloys and tires. This is where I stand now. I have interacted with 2 tire dealers and the third is the Showroom accessory manager.

Dealer 1 - Seshadripuram
Tires
  • Bridgestone Potenza GIII: Rs 7250
  • Pirelli P4: Rs 8150
  • Michelin P3ST: Rs 7900
  • Yoko 550 db: Rs 7000
I am still waiting for the quote for Continental ContiMaxContact MC5

Alloys
Momo Alloys: Rs 8400

Dealer recommends Bridgestone Potenza GIII and asked me to pick it eyes closed. He opined that Pirellis are not that good. He says Michelins are good but there is still some complains about the sidewall. He also said Contis are decent and have improved the sidewall. Not too keen to sell Yokos. Even though everything else looks perfect, he is offering only Rs 18000 as buyback for JK tires + OE Alloys All said, the person I am dealing with is a nice guy and is willing to discuss further tomorrow and said he will try his best to give me the best deal.

Dealer 2 - Indira Nagar
Tires
  • Michelin P3ST: Rs 9000
  • Pirelli P4: Rs 8700
  • Continental ContiMaxContact MC5: Rs 8500
  • Yoko: Rs 8000+
Alloys
Momo Alloys: Rs 8200

Dealer recommends Contis after listening to my usage pattern. He adds that if I am going for Bridgestone, it is not an upgrade in terms of comfort or performance or noise reduction. Michelins are very good but there is some concern about the sidewall. Even he was not too keen on selling the Yokos - In spite of him being a Yoko dealer However, he is offering Rs 28000 as buyback for JK tires + OE Alloys

Showroom Accessories Division
Tires
  • Pirelli: Rs 8800
  • Michelin: Rs 9000
  • Continental: Rs 8800
  • Gooodyear: Rs 7000
The good thing is he is offering Rs 28000 as buyback for JK tires + OE Alloys and I am sure he will offer even 30k if pushed hard. However, the bad thing is below.

Alloys
Neo: Rs 9500
Plati: Rs 11000

Basically, any buyback he is offering will be annulled by the exorbitantly priced alloys. I mean, Dealer 2 is offering Plati for 7000 to 7200. That is like >50% premium.

Now, I guess Dealer 2 is giving me the best deal overall (combining tire + alloy + buyback), but I feel he is over-charging for the tires. This is in direct comparison with the prices offered by Dealer 1. Both the dealers are reputed guys and are pretty famous here in Team BHP.

In fact, the Showroom accessory guy came into picture simply because of one of my posts in this thread where I said I will go for after market alloys and tires. Next morning I get a call from my RM and the Accessories manager asking why I was going aftermarket and why not from them. So I asked them to give their quote and try to match or better the aftermarket rates. I am sure they failed pathetically.

I had a chat with BHP-ian Satishtv who also has Conti MC5 on his S-Cross and he is very happy with the tire. Based on our conversation my Dealer 2 is giving a decent deal on the Contis. I am looking for thoughts on this from other members also. Is Potenza GIII really good or really bad? I had contrasting views on this from both dealers and am really confused. Since I have finalized on Momo Black Knight alloys, I want to choose off the tire tomorrow itself. Then I want to calmly rest till I get the car delivered. Any and all thoughts welcome!!!

Last edited by Vigkey : 10th February 2016 at 00:42.
Vigkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 01:53   #3207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
...Is Potenza GIII really good or really bad? I had contrasting views on this from both dealers and am really confused...
I had Potenza GIII on my Swift, within 100 kms of taking delivery. 2 of the tyres served me 88,000 kms and other two 55,000 kms. The car was primarily in Bangalore city with trips to Kerala once in 3 months or so.

Have gone thru really crazy bad roads and also super smooth tarmac. The tyre is really good, but noisy! It grips well, corners well too. I have had enough punctures, but I think that was due to the bad parking places by the side of the road.

After that I changed to MRF ZLO, which is a soft compound tyre. It was silent and comfortable, but had quite a lot of body roll on the corners. Was a VFM buy, but half of the FTD factor of the Swift was taken away.
Old 10th February 2016, 09:09   #3208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Nexa Palace (attached to Mandovi Motors). Should you want to "question" the accessories chap, I can PM you his contact

Appreciate if you PM me the contact details related to this accessory.
Old 10th February 2016, 10:29   #3209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Ideally all engines require running in, no matter how close your tolerances are, when 2 mechanical components are coupled they will take some time to smooth out and couple perfectly.

The case is more so in the components that make up the combustion chamber, the piston, the rings and the cylinder are made up of different materials, they will have different co-efficient of expansion. The rings will need some time to make a perfect seal between the Piston and Cylinder.
Got it! Sedate driver anyway. Drive around 1500 rpm. Have started exploring 2000 rpm recently. Getting a mileage of 20 kmpl in city and 22 on highways. Use cruise on highways set at 80 or 100 depending on the roads.
Old 10th February 2016, 11:33   #3210
BHPian

Quote:
Got it! Sedate driver anyway. Drive around 1500 rpm. Have started exploring 2000 rpm recently. Getting a mileage of 20 kmpl in city and 22 on highways. Use cruise on highways set at 80 or 100 depending on the roads.
@viral. It is not advisable to use Cruise Control if you are in the run-in period. The information manual and our experts suggest NOT to keep the car running in the same speed / rpm for prolonged periods - and this is exactly what the cruise control does. Hence better to avoid cruise control till the run-in is complete. Experts can correct me if I am wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks