Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2015, 23:41   #331
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Not sure if someone already asked this and it was answered.

1. How good is the reverse camera in low light conditions?
2. What is the LED for on the dash board just under the hazard switch?
3. Does the driver side window get anti-pinch function?
4. Where is the media slot on the infotainment system?
5. With the keyfob inside the vehicle, is it possible you could accidentally lock the car from outside by using the request sensor button? I know there is a warning chime, but can you really lock the car with key inside?
Old 30th July 2015, 23:53   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post

5. With the keyfob inside the vehicle, is it possible you could accidentally lock the car from outside by using the request sensor button? I know there is a warning chime, but can you really lock the car with key inside?
4. Media slot is the 'USB drive' and 'aux in' in the hand rest compartment. No DVD/CD drive
5. It wont lock when the key is inside. It wont start if the key is outside.
I always had this doubt. Once the car is running, what if someone throws the key fob out of the car? Will the car stop?
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 00:03   #333
BHPian

This wait seems to be too much. Everyday when I see the creta heart is longing for it, but the enthusiast in me (if any) is pulling me back. As days go forward without TDing the S cross, Creta is slowly clawing in. I drove the Duster AWD and the RXZ and loved the way it rode and handled in the crater filled roads in Cochin. Seems like the flowchart will be toppled. The real fight starts now. 1.6 Zeta 320 vs Creta SX CRDI vs RXZ 110 + (13.XX L vs 13.4 L vs 13.8L OTR).
Old 31st July 2015, 00:04   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I always had this doubt. Once the car is running, what if someone throws the key fob out of the car? Will the car stop?
One of my friends rented a Jetta once for a business trip back in US. Our friend came out on a cold NY morning, got in and switched on the engine and left it to rev for car to get warm. He then stepped out with the keyfob, went inside the house to get a cuppa coffee and left the keyfob home. Happily drove all the way to CT, ignoring the mild no key reminder and reached destination (some 160 miles out). There as he pulled into parking and shut the engine, car locked as he got out. I had to drive all of 160 miles to fetch him the key .

I hope that answers it ..

Last edited by Abhi99 : 31st July 2015 at 00:25.
Abhi99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 00:29   #335
BHPian

Quote:
4. Media slot is the 'USB drive' and 'aux in' in the hand rest compartment. No DVD/CD drive
I see a slot in the unit, just above the time display.
Isn't this the maps-media slot?
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 00:48   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats probably the Allgrip version with the dual clutch gearbox that they are talking about, which if brought to India would cost close to 18-20L OTR.
Wishful thinking
The point I was trying to say is, the Duster is widely considered as among the most basic SUV one can buy. It retails from £11,995 - £15,995 whereas SCross from £13,999 - £25,149 in UK. You can very well see the difference across the variants and not just the top end.

However when Duster was launched in India, Renault who hardly had any presence in India decided to go premium pricing. What stops Maruti from adopting similar tactics for a car that is considered more premium than Duster internationally?

I won't be surprised if SCross DDIS320 will be priced at par with Duster.

Will it work for Maruti? I don't know.

Market dynamics are different in India. Looks will be a major factor here. However they do have an opportunity to have a good starting price. The DDIS200. Make sure it is not too far from Ertiga and it should sell.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 01:37   #337
BHPian

While I wait for S-cross, wanted close in on my purchase decision if S-Cross is priced way beyond. Kindly help me with your thoughts/clarifications.

My Budget is <12L OTR and can stretch this upto 13L but keeping it <12L will do a world of good. TDed lot many and narrowed down as below.

1) Ciaz ZDI vs Duster 85 RXL
I like the ride quality of duster, so did my family. However as you all know duster is generations behind in interiors and Ciaz is a well rounded option which has best of interior. While all the Ciaz reviews point towards puny 1.3 engine, it does have more power than Duster 85.

My Question: Keeping ride quality/interior apart, with sheer performance only in consideration is Duster 85 any better than Ciaz. Who is better in City and who is better in highway?

2) If It decide to stretch, could get Honda City SV (or) Duster 110 RxL.
While i like the way City drives, I test drove VX model which has specially damped windshield, NVH levels are way better than Amaze/Mobilio, but not sure about SV which doesnt have that noise insulation, any inputs?

Duster 110 RxL, well if I could stretch that much, will definitely go for 110 RxL overlooking all the above.

BTW, if S-cross has an 1.6 variant this side of 12.5 OTR, will close my eye and go for it. Ticks all the boxes rightly.

Last edited by sathya_g_m : 31st July 2015 at 01:40.
Old 31st July 2015, 02:49   #338
BHPian

Quote:

I had visited the NEXA showroom this evening and below are the answers to your queries.

1. No idea - the car was inside the showroom and I could not start the car.
2. Not sure - but when I asked, the RM told it is the sensor for keyfob. I dont think he is correct though.
3. Yes - the RM demonstrated this feature
4. USB and Aux slots inside the driver armrest compartment. No CD / DVD drives
5. No, the car cannot be locked from outside with the keyfob inside.

I will post a detailed first-impression post later
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 07:49   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
My Question: Keeping ride quality/interior apart, with sheer performance only in consideration is Duster 85 any better than Ciaz. Who is better in City and who is better in highway?
The biggest advantage of the Duster 85 is its drivability at all RPMs. It puts from as low as 1200 RPM. Thats its USP. While the 1.3 MJD does not respond below 1800 RPM I think. So from that point of view a Duster 85 any day is good for the city commute.

For the highways, 85 Duster does not have much in it. It can cruise well at 90-100 for hours together. It can go higher if needed, but I would suggest just about three digits for best results.

Quote:
Duster 110 RxL, well if I could stretch that much, will definitely go for 110 RxL overlooking all the above.
Yes the 110 definitely makes sense. Earlier it was rejected thanks to its heavy clutch. That has improved now. And I am also being told that lag on the 110 is quite less.

Quote:
BTW, if S-cross has an 1.6 variant this side of 12.5 OTR, will close my eye and go for it. Ticks all the boxes rightly.
That I think may be a bit optimistic. Expect at least a lac more for the base variant. But yes, if it goes that low, every one would love it!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 09:14   #340
Senior - BHPian

How is the under thigh support and comfort of the driver seat for a tall person? I am 6' 2" tall.

Usually maruthi cars have a good sliding range for the front seats.
Old 31st July 2015, 09:16   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I had visited the NEXA showroom this evening and below are the answers to your queries.

1. No idea - the car was inside the showroom and I could not start the car.
2. Not sure - but when I asked, the RM told it is the sensor for keyfob. I dont think he is correct though.
3. Yes - the RM demonstrated this feature
4. USB and Aux slots inside the driver armrest compartment. No CD / DVD drives
5. No, the car cannot be locked from outside with the keyfob inside.

I will post a detailed first-impression post later
Thanks much! I wish this was included in the team-bhp review since they had the opportunity to review the car thoroughly. More and more I read about this, the more value I feel about this car, just need to know the pricing to know if its really VFM.

Now about 4. The review also pointed out to an SD card which contains the maps for navigation. I wonder where this SD card sits. Any idea? The armrest only has a USB and Aux ports.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I see a slot in the unit, just above the time display.
Isn't this the maps-media slot?
Thanks! I didn't notice it at first.

About 5: I like that because my 3rd gen City also has the same functionality. I.e. you cannot lock the car with the keys inside. Very useful if you have children.

Last edited by sudeepg : 31st July 2015 at 09:21. Reason: Found the answer for a question posted.
Old 31st July 2015, 09:52   #342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now about 4. The review also pointed out to an SD card which contains the maps for navigation. I wonder where this SD card sits. Any idea? The armrest only has a USB and Aux ports.
The SD card slot is visible in the head unit photos. It's on top of the head unit.

The keyless entry system no longer needs explanation. Earlier it was a USP but nowadays it's the norm. Starting from grand i10, Micra, Ecosport, Ciaz, City, Verna, i20, Cruze and more all of them have this system.

Our earlier reviews had detailed explanation but nowadays it's not needed as there's no difference.

The system is quite simple. If the keyfob is inside the car there's no way to lock the car. If you leave the keyfob inside with engine running, the system will not even do anything as it's not a valid condition. If you leave the key fob inside but switch off the car you will get a display inside the MID that key is inside and car cannot be locked.

If you start the car, remove the key, leave it at home and drive off, there's a problem. System will warn you that key is not inside vehicle but engine will still be running and you can drive. Once you reach your destination, you're in trouble as you can switch the car off but cannot start it again without the key.

I'm using it for close to 2 years now and it's pretty much idiot proof.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 11:16   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The SD card slot is visible in the head unit photos. It's on top of the head unit.

If the keyfob is inside the car there's no way to lock the car.

Yup, I noticed it after I posted and edited it. Thanks again!

Well, we can still lock the car from inside using the lock switch, right? I've never used it so I don't know yet.

Also, I wonder how the system detects whether the keyfob is inside the car or outside. Does it literally detect that the keyfob is outside the car as soon as you get out of the car?
Old 31st July 2015, 13:02   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
How is the under thigh support and comfort of the driver seat for a tall person? I am 6' 2" tall.

Usually maruthi cars have a good sliding range for the front seats.
Am 6'2" and found the under thigh support quite decent on the driver's seat.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 13:52   #345
BHPian

Bimal Nexa is now open in Bangalore. As members have already posted, the location is exactly opposite to the EMC2 office. They have 2 vehicles displayed currently - a blue and a brown one. Both cars were DDiS 200 Alpha variants. I visited the showroom around 7:45 pm last night and spent almost 45 minutes there. I was attended by RM Harry Samson, an enthusiastic guy and yes, the experience was pretty good overall. Even before I post my observations - I am thoroughly impressed by this vehicle!!!

Exteriors

Front
  • The car looks much better in reality. It is not a looker by any means though.
  • It is pretty big and will have decent road presence among the sea of hatchbacks but cannot match that of the Dusters and Cretas.
  • The chrome grille looks good and not as gaudy as it initially appeared in the pictures.
  • Panel gaps were tight and consistent and paint quality looked very good. Both blue and brown looked attractive. But, I will prefer the greyish silver shade as it makes the side cladding stand out.
  • Sheet metal also looks to be decent and thick enough. It is not as thin as most other Marutis for sure. It did not flex anywhere while I pressed with my thumb.
  • The headlamp cluster is a size too big IMO and not as sleek as found in the Hyundais. But the HID projectors and DRLs in the Alpha makes the front end look imposing.
  • Fog lamp enclosure is stylish and the chrome garnish here looks classy and stylish. Really liked this bit. Fiat - learn something from Maruti.
  • 2 units for the jets for the Wiper fluid with 3 nozzles each. Nicely hidden under the edge of the bonnet hood.
  • Bumper design with all the cuts and creases looks good. The faux silver plastic skid plate is a nice touch. The plastic quality also felt good.
  • Engine bay has a LOT of free space with the DDiS 200.
  • There is partial protection underneath, but I felt the engine is fairly exposed. The RM was very sure that the engine will not be bothered by any of the undulations or even flying stones. He said that the engine base is protected adequately and I should not have any concern - but I am not sure.
Side
  • Side profile is like that of a hatchback - a long and big hatchback.
  • The cladding looks decent - not as good as the Elite i20's but not as bad as the Etios Cross's. Looks very similar to that of Ecosport. The faux silver plastic side skirts breaks monotony and hides the bulk of the cladding. Nice and unique touch.
  • Plastic quality of the cladding is top notch and the fit and finish is also awesome. This plastic IMO will not fade as easily as the one on say Etios Cross.
  • Door handles are unmistakably Maruti Suzuki.
  • The rubbery buttons on the door handles for key-less entry feels cheap and might not last for a lifetime.
  • No floating roof for the S-Cross
  • Roof rails are metal and usable and looks very stylish - to me, it integrates well with the side profile without attempting to visually increase the height of the car.
  • Alloy wheels is not as pathetic as in pictures but still among the worst in business.
  • Doors open reasonably wide and getting in and out will not be a problem.
  • Doors are thick and are heavy too. The sound while closing is very assuring too.
  • ORVMs on the door looks very stylish. The blinkers also look cool on the ORVMs.
  • A rear spoiler would have given the car a killer attitude.
  • Overall a very grown-up stance and a very clean side profile. Looks very mature without any unnecessary cuts and creases.
Rear
  • Rear looks super cool and is very well designed IMO
  • Tail lamps are super stylish and goes well with the overall design. I like it better than those on the i20 and even Creta.
  • The HMSL looks ordinary and the integration of the rear washer leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Thanks Suzuki for not giving us any chrome on the rear. Such a relief!!!
  • The black portion of the rear bumper could have been better designed. Even though the rear skid plate tried to break monotony, the black portion looks out of design sync.
  • Rear parking sensors are body colored and sit pretty high on the bumpers. Absolute usability might be slightly less IMO.
  • Bumpers protrude out reasonably well and will serve the purpose unlike many other hatchbacks we see on road.
Interiors

Front
  • All black interiors looks classy and simple. It looks more modern compared to the Swifts and Dzires but the Suzuki DNA is still there. Design language is very consistent and dashboard has a neat symmetric layout.
  • Soft touch plastic on the dashboard is a finger print magnet. But the carbon fiber like pattern felt very good on the fingers.
  • Steering felt good to hold and the leather quality on the steering was very good.
  • Reach and Rake arrangement is welcome and will ensure good driving position for everyone.
  • The buttons on the steering looked to be of low quality. The phone controls felt good though. Also loved the fact that Cruise Control is given.
  • Indicator stalks are vintage Maruti - would have loved to see better quality and design in a premium offering.
  • Instrument cluster looks classy and is one of the best I have seen in recent times. The blue rings make it look unique IMO. The design, fonts, back-light everything about this cluster is classy. Love it.
  • Thanks Maruti for providing the analog temperature gauge.
  • TFT MID screen is reasonably big and has adequate resolution and looks good and has a lot of information to share.
  • Engine push-button start is on the right side of steering and IMO, the right position for it.
  • Switches(??) for Fog lamp, parking sensors and headlamp adjuster are same as the ones on my decade old Dzire. Seriously Maruti?? Same with the power window and other switches on the door pad.
  • However, the door arm-rest is superbly padded and is very comfortable to keep the arm on.
  • Silver element on the door breaks monotony and looks very good.
  • Door also has space for a 1 L bottle and some space for other stuff as well.
  • Door beading rubber is of superior quality. Awesome stuff here Maruti Suzuki!!!
  • Driver seat was comfortable and has a very healthy adjustment range for height. There is adequate thigh support too. The leather feels soft and I guess it is of decent quality.
  • Adjustable driver arm-rest is a super feature. It is also wide enough for the co-driver to rest his / her arm on. But the faux-leather material quality was not that good.
  • Height adjustable seat-belt is another plus!!
  • Center console with sliver border looks good but the silver is too dull IMO.
  • The touch unit had a very good resolution and touch sensitivity was very positive. Might not match the modern tablets, but much better than many units I have tried in other cars.
  • Could not check the navigation as the SD card with maps was not in the car. Also could not check the reverse camera display as I could not start the car inside the showroom.
  • ACC buttons looks tacky and similar to the plastic buttons on the steering wheel.
  • Gear lever felt good to hold and use. I think the one on DDiS 200 is similar to the one on Ciaz - not sure though.
  • Keyfob design was decent but I felt the key-fob to be unusually heavy. S-Cross comes with two smart keyfobs!!!
  • The switch for the front cabin light was very hard to use and had a very uninspiring design.
  • Both the sun visors get ticket holders and were of superior quality.
  • Glove box is an excuse. It serves very less utility IMO. Too small, oddly shaped. But yes, it is damped - opens in a slow-motion.
  • Grab-rails also had a damped action and were sturdy.
Rear
  • With the driver seat set to my position, I was able to sit behind it with hardly an inch of space. I am 6' 3" and I am sure not many cars in this segment / below give better knee / leg room in the rear.
  • Rear sits higher than the front and hence there is no shortage of under-thigh support.
  • The seat is wide enough and can seat 3 with reasonable ease.
  • The middle section of the seat is reasonably flat but the floor tunnel is rectangular and too high IMO. This will cause some discomfort to the third passenger.
  • No shortage of head room even for my height and should not bother a normal passenger.
  • The cushioning and quality of leather were good and I am sure the rear passengers will have nothing to complain except for the absence of rear ac vents.
  • Parcel tray is flat and I have no clue why Maruti Suzuki has not put much thought on this. This is virtually unusable even to keep a box of tissues.
Boot
  • Boot is the biggest disappointment for me in this car. The numbers are decent but not for a car of this size.
  • The boot is long but not deep enough.the floor is on the same level as the boot lip and hence there is no depth at all. You might find the luggage hitting the hatch on the move.
  • The manual boot lamp is another
  • IMO, Maruti got everything wrong between the hatch and rear seats.
  • But yes, it is good enough for a normal family of 5 to pack for a weekend outing.
Overall a very lovable car but Maruti Suzuki has done enough to disappoint the prospective buyer in a couple of ways. You will NEVER get 100% satisfied - the manufacturers make sure you wont be.

Some interesting points given by the enthusiastic RM. I have no assurance that these are facts, but he was very sure.
  • The Alpha variant of DDiS 200 will NOT EXCEED 10 lakhs ex-showroom.
  • The Alpha variant of DDiS 320 will be ~14 lakhs on-road.
  • The design philosophy for the leather is called touch-leather. This means that wherever the body touches the seat, it will be genuine leather and other places will be faux-leather.
  • The transmission hump is actually a safety feature and a beam passes through it which will result in additional safety.
Overall he was pretty well-informed and answered most of my queries correctly. He was also enthusiastic and willing to show every features and was with me for the whole 45 minutes I spent in the showroom. Overall a very positive experience in the showroom and with the RM and the car. I might end up pre-booking the car over the weekend.

Last edited by Vigkey : 31st July 2015 at 13:57.
Vigkey is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks