Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2016, 07:00   #3841
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

With the price drop, the S Cross is a compelling proposition.

Wonder whether the advent of the Brezza will make an appreciable dent in the Creta.
Old 1st April 2016, 07:48   #3842

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post

Considering Cochin roads, even the 1.3 would be over-powered. More over overtaking at slow speeds requires calculation and downshift on our roads, be it 1.6 or the 1.3. I miss the 1.6 on short stretches of some highways while dragging bigger cars.
Yes sir. You are true. Daily commutation of mine is being carried out in thick traffic and thin roads.
Old 1st April 2016, 09:20   #3843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish_kochi View Post
Yes sir. You are true. Daily commutation of mine is being carried out in thick traffic and thin roads.
If your drive is mainly in traffic, you are right buddy. 1.3 is the engine to go for. I had taken test drive of both 1.3 and 1.6 back to back in calicut. 1.3 was way better in city with reduced turbo lag, light clutch and slick shifts. I found the gearshifts little notchy and clutch heavier in 1.6 compared to 1.3. But 1.6 makes you smile every time you cross 2500 rpm
Old 1st April 2016, 13:09   #3844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Idiot View Post
Mod note: Post edited. Adjusting paragraph spacing for readability. Thanks.

One important note to those looking at the variants on offer: The Alpha has Bosch speakers and has excellent sound, but I recently heard the speakers on a Delta, and was surprised that it didn't sound the same at all . They have Nippon speakers in the lower version, don't know about the Zeta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Here are the OEM 'premium' speakers (woofers and tweeters). No crossover. You will have to use the 'premium crossover' instead.
Paper cones

Poor output for the stock HU as well, audiophiles should opt for an HU upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodest View Post
2. The audio playback from the USB thumb drive isn't very good. The vocals are not very clear and it seems like they are drowned. The EQ settings don't help either. During test drives, I tried playing music from my friend's iPhone using AUX and the quality was great. Is the audio hardware on the infotainment system inherently poor?
I had issues with the usb port and I also couldn't get the aux to work.But after some more detailed analysis, found the usb port to be fine. And just today went to the car and found the setting to make the Aux port active.

But I do believe that the sound quality is not good on the lower variants only because the speakers are not good. The speakers on the alpha "are" different!

I am sure the test drive vehicle was an alpha, also if you look at the boot of the test drive vehicle carefully, you might see the amplifier that some dealers have had put in, the one that they try and sell you as an accessory

I had found this unacceptable when I was looking at the variants and could not believe that companies do that. But I guess they do.

All this aside, if you car hear the audio quality being acceptable when using an aux cable, then it does not have to do with either the speakers nor with the hardware.

There are only two things possible, one, the audio recording is not high quality in itself or the cable used is faulty.

Transfer the same track which sounds fine on the aux to the usb device you are using and check if it sounds different.
Old 1st April 2016, 13:27   #3845
Senior - BHPian

@Pro-Idiot - How do you identify if the speakers are Bosch / Nippon apart from tearing apart the door frame?

They do mention that alpha and zeta gets 6 speakers (4+2) whereas delta and below gets only 4 speakers. This is mentioned in their brochure. So, does that mean the 4+2 variants get the better speakers? Or is it the addition of the tweeter that brings the sound quality.

Along the same lines, can some one try and get a picture of the back of the headunit? Is there a sub out / video-out present in there?
Old 1st April 2016, 14:09   #3846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Idiot View Post
But I do believe that the sound quality is not good on the lower variants only because the speakers are not good. The speakers on the alpha "are" different!
I disagree to this particular comment. I had test drove and heard music systems in three variants, 1.3 Zeta, 1.3 Alpha and 1.6 Alpha. I played the same song from the same source on all and it sounded exactly the same.
Old 1st April 2016, 14:18   #3847

Just got my Bosch infotainment system on the S-cross upgraded to version 740, it has Apple Carplay support.

Reached out to Varun motors near my office and it took the technician 15 mins to upgrade the software from Ver 720 to Ver 740.

Loving it, the only issue i saw was Apple Maps logo was not available in the Carplay menu options.
Atalp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 14:22   #3848
BHPian

I can confirm that the speakers in Zeta 1.6 are made by Nippon. By looks, they are not of very good quality.

I got them changed to Hertz.
Old 1st April 2016, 16:34   #3849
BHPian

Can you please share the pics of upgrade if you have. I own 1.6 delta and somehow not too happy with the sound quality. Thinking of an ICE upgrade, starting with speakers.
Can you also share how much poorer you are?

Girish

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
I can confirm that the speakers in Zeta 1.6 are made by Nippon. By looks, they are not of very good quality.

I got them changed to Hertz.
Old 1st April 2016, 17:03   #3850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Can you please share the pics of upgrade if you have. I own 1.6 delta and somehow not too happy with the sound quality. Thinking of an ICE upgrade, starting with speakers.
Can you also share how much poorer you are?

Girish
I do not have pics of the upgrade. Went for Hertz DCX -170 on all doors and added a 140 W active subwoofer.
Got this done at Nexa and I became poorer by 19k.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 17:22   #3851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
I do not have pics of the upgrade. Went for Hertz DCX -170 on all doors and added a 140 W active subwoofer.
Got this done at Nexa and I became poorer by 19k.
Are all these speakers driven by the HU only. Wondering whether they work fine with my non touch screen player.

Thanks for the info.
Old 1st April 2016, 17:36   #3852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Are all these speakers driven by the HU only. Wondering whether they work fine with my non touch screen player.

Thanks for the info.
Yes. They are driven by HU. The subwoofer has an inbuilt amplifier.
They should work fine with your HU.
Old 1st April 2016, 18:07   #3853
Senior - BHPian

It looks like delta and Zeta variants are now stopped by Maruti.

http://overdrive.in/news/maruti-disc...ants-in-india/

I am seriously speechless now. RIP S-Cross 1.6.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 18:16   #3854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
It looks like delta and Zeta variants are now stopped by Maruti.

http://overdrive.in/news/maruti-disc...ants-in-india/

I am seriously speechless now. RIP S-Cross 1.6.
IMHO, it is a logical step by Maruti. If you are going for the 1.6 S-Cross, then you are already spending at least a lakh and half more than the 1.3. So it becomes sensible to go for the fully loaded Alpha, rather than the lower variants. Also, the Zeta variant of 1.6 loses a lot of feature compared to the Zeta variant of 1.3.
Old 1st April 2016, 18:25   #3855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
IMHO, it is a logical step by Maruti. If you are going for the 1.6 S-Cross, then you are already spending at least a lakh and half more than the 1.3. So it becomes sensible to go for the fully loaded Alpha, rather than the lower variants. Also, the Zeta variant of 1.6 loses a lot of feature compared to the Zeta variant of 1.3.
I would not think that is a logical step. The price point (around 10.8 ex showroom) at which the delta trim 1.6 was available made a compelling case of itself due to the sheer performance it offered at the price.
The delta and zeta trims are not poorly loaded by any means.
For people who want the 1.6 engine alone and do not need so many features (which include some very ugly alloys), these variants could have suited them fine.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks