Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2016, 20:15   #4006
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I found the S Cross 1.6 perfect. But then Im used to the same level of Torque and a high level of BHP in my Yeti.
The S Cross Alpha 1.6 is clearly a superb car.
I think you would do well to consider this rather than the 1.3 for sure!
Fully agreed with Shankar.Ddis 320 is gem engine. Buying car depends on usage pattern.if person wants to drive it in city only then 200 makes sense over 320.if someone keeps his car for 6 7 years then 320 makes more sense after price correction. I have 320 alpha and I am more than happy with my car. Clutch is on little heavier side but easily manageable. Seems like you driving a beast with that clutch.
sahiltodankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 21:25   #4007
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post
Fully agreed with Shankar.Ddis 320 is gem engine. Buying car depends on usage pattern.if person wants to drive it in city only then 200 makes sense over 320.if someone keeps his car for 6 7 years then 320 makes more sense after price correction. I have 320 alpha and I am more than happy with my car. Clutch is on little heavier side but easily manageable. Seems like you driving a beast with that clutch.
Even the Yeti 4x4 140BHP 320 Nm Torque monster has a harder clutch than the 4x2 110BHP version.
But I love the extra "Dhum" especially when accelerating on an empty stretch or while overtaking some pesky rat creature type vehicle on the highways!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 08:09   #4008
BHPian

I have 1.6 Zeta. The gear shift in my car is definitely notchy. It's no way smooth. Every time I Shift, say from second to third, there is a slight resistance in between neutral to third, as though there is a slot in between. This happens for all gears. Also I find it difficult to slot to sixth gear. I showed it during service. They told they've lubricated and as I use it, it will become better. But, the problem continues.
I don't experience any clutch vibrations as reported by many. But, when I brake at speeds post 100, the steering vibrates a lot, which is highly irritating.
The car does seem to have few niggles, but it'll make you forget all when it surges beyond 1700 RPM. You'll have a big smile on your face every time post 1700 RPM. The engine is the best part of this car. Otherwise, you can't expect the German qualities in this car. I drove Jetta after a few days of driving this, Jetta is in totally a different league. I agree both are in different segments, but when Maruti first launched it, it was close to 17.2 lakhs in Chennai for the top end. That was very close to the Jetta price. Maruti were definitely over ambitious in their pricing.
Dani7766 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 09:08   #4009
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani7766 View Post
I have 1.6 Zeta. The gear shift in my car is definitely notchy. It's no way smooth. Every time I Shift, say from second to third, there is a slight resistance in between neutral to third, as though there is a slot in between. This happens for all gears. Also I find it difficult to slot to sixth gear. I showed it during service. They told they've lubricated and as I use it, it will become better. But, the problem continues.
I don't experience any clutch vibrations as reported by many. But, when I brake at speeds post 100, the steering vibrates a lot, which is highly irritating.
The car does seem to have few niggles, but it'll make you forget all when it surges beyond 1700 RPM. You'll have a big smile on your face every time post 1700 RPM. The engine is the best part of this car. Otherwise, you can't expect the German qualities in this car. I drove Jetta after a few days of driving this, Jetta is in totally a different league. I agree both are in different segments, but when Maruti first launched it, it was close to 17.2 lakhs in Chennai for the top end. That was very close to the Jetta price. Maruti were definitely over ambitious in their pricing.
I second that buddy. I drove 1.6 thrice and found gearshifts little notchy all the time. It is not irritating though. Performance and high speed stability at good speeds makes you forget about little notchy gearshifts. My vote goes for 1.6 any day but I ended up booking 1.3 due to various reasons.
Old 15th April 2016, 09:08   #4010
BHPian

Quote:
i have clocked around 4k on ODO now with 60% in city and 40 on highways. sometimes i feel if you drive it continuously in city then clutch becomes slightly heavy and gearshifts acts weird too.i know i am not making any sense with this but those are my observations

I agree quality is not that great compared to Germans.but the dash looks solidly put together. the only thing I don't like is door plastics.I have planned to wrap it under carbon fiber to improve overall ambience of the car.
in my car I have no problems with gearshifts.its not buttery smooth I agree but not bad at all.after 3rd service I guess you will see improvements in the overall feeling of the car.
Old 15th April 2016, 10:17   #4011
Senior - BHPian

320DDIS was put to test on the hills @ 3000m altitude.
Performed pretty well, fantastic handling and comfort levels.
However, the engine was gasping for oxygen at times on steep gradients. You need to keep the RPM high to keep it going.

Idle RPM at that altitude was around 1000 RPM. Guess, the ECM alters it with pressure difference.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-kps_5898t.jpg
kpzen is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 10:29   #4012
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Idle RPM at that altitude was around 1000 RPM. Guess, the ECM alters it with pressure difference.
I guess the MAF sensitive was inputting the ECU with air density and air temperature figures to alter the RPM to keep the engine running.

Excellent picture, BTW. Who says SCross doesn't look good. Totally under-rated car.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 11:20   #4013
BHPian

Quote:
However, the engine was gasping for oxygen at times on steep gradients. You need to keep the RPM high to keep it going.

Attachment 1497221
This is one of the best pictures I have seen of Scross. If you don't mind then can you share some more pictures? Like to see blacked out top.also do you faced any problem while staring the engine at that altitude?

Last edited by ampere : 16th April 2016 at 17:51. Reason: Fixed typo
sahiltodankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 11:41   #4014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I finally booked 1.3 Zeta today in premium silver colour. I should get the delivery in 2 weeks. 2015 1.6 delta was available with 70k discount along with new reduced price. I couldn't convince my dad for it. Heart always say 1.6,but couldn't help. I would have got delta 1.6 at same price as 1.3 zeta.
Congratulations doc! Without a qualm, the S-Cross is a fantastic car to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatmangal View Post
hello friends, i have been observing that average of my s cross 1.3 zeta has been slowly falling and now is consistent between 13-13.5 Earlier first 2-3 months it was hovering between 16-17.
Could this be some problem or law of averages catching up.
Thanks
I guess this is dependent largely on driving conditions as well as driving style. In my 60 km tri-weekly commute, mostly driving in the 2nd and 3rd gears, the average as shown in the MID and calculated during refuel has consistently remained in the 16.8-17.2 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Thanks, a friend has it in his car and he is not sure if this came as an accessory or as a standard fitment.
Another way to find out is if there is casing for the wire running from the IRVM to the ceiling. The factory fitted casing is not availabe as an accessory. This is one of the reasons I decided against getting an auto-dimming IRVM for an accesory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
When I drove S cross 1.3 and 1.6 back to back, I found the gearshifts little notchy and clutch slightly hard in 1.6 compared to 1.3. I am not saying gearshifts in 1.6 is bad, it slots in perfectly, just that gearshifts in 1.3 is better coupled with lighter clutch.
Cheers!
I've read a few posts that complain of vibrations in the clutch and notchy gearshifts, but haven't had these on my car, or maybe just not able to recognise that. The gearshits, for one, are anything but nothcy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
May be good news for some..
Met the SA at Palace Nexa (Mandovi) and he mentioned that they have got the HID projector lamps available for lower versions of S-cross. Only problem is they are waiting for the mechanic from Mumbai (his words) to teach them how to fix it :(
The cost of the set-up is 29k as told earlier and hence I am tending to believe him. Hope they get the mechanic soon...
Girish
My RM called me to verify if the accessories team got in touch with me the regarding the projectors. I think they've ordered all needed parts to complete the setup. Will try to confirm that from a contact I have.

Quote:
Your S-Cross looks stunning in this picture! You must send this to NEXA for the next year's desktop calendar
pannags is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 14:38   #4015
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to update the ICE on my Delta. My plan is to begin with component speakers/tweeters and move on with time. I do not intend to change the HU as of now though. The show room guy gave a quote of 10k for Hertz speakers in the front including fitting. He did not know the model number though. Will this be better than the Nippon speakers that comes with S-cross variants? Or, getting the doors damped is better than going for a new set of speakers?

Can you please suggest me the least expensive options to start with? Say only tweeters or only damping.

The tweeters are mounted in the front of the dash (marked in blue) in other variants. Does this mean there is provision for installing tweeters in the front? Is it the correct place?

Not related to this. There is this dotted area in the middle of the dashboard (marked in red). What exactly is this?

Thanks in advance

cheers,
girish
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-marutiscross.jpg  

Old 15th April 2016, 15:10   #4016
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Can you please suggest me the least expensive options to start with? Say only tweeters or only damping.
Damping without changing the speakers are not going to help. My suggestion would be to change the front speakers to components + damping. Infinity, rockford etc are the one you can consider.
This forum may help: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ml#post3940388

Last edited by lovetorque : 15th April 2016 at 15:12. Reason: spell
lovetorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 15:24   #4017

Hi All,

Just got the membership approved, feeling great to be able to participate. The forum has really helped me and i truly appreciate and thanks for the help and views that are shared here.

Quote:

Attachment 1497221
I just had a trip to mountains, Nainital, and visited some of the very narrow and steep lanes with my SCross 1.6. Though the car was amazing on most of the journey but as also quoted, on real steep path the car was loosing momentum and revs were goig down even on first gear. Had a challenge at a particular point where the car was stopped on steep slope and then it would just not go up. Had to reverse it down and then take it up.
The only part is that I have visited that place quite often with my Ritz VDi and it was never a problem and now having issues with 320 engine

But everywhere else driving SCross was a real pleasure.
320NmThunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 18:05   #4018
BHPian

Quote:

The tweeters are mounted in the front of the dash (marked in blue) in other variants. Does this mean there is provision for installing tweeters in the front? Is it the correct place?

Not related to this. There is this dotted area in the middle of the dashboard (marked in red). What exactly is this?

Thanks in advance

cheers,
girish
The blue is where tweeters are installed. I'm not sure, if it's the correct area. Experts can comment on it. If I'm correct, I think mi10 once told that isn't the correct area to install tweeters. Anyway, I leave it to the experts to debate. The Red portion is dummy. There is very less place below it. I doubt it serves any purpose. I initially thought it was provision for sub woofer in international version. But, when I actually saw it inside, I don't think that's the case, considering the space below is negligible.
Dani7766 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 18:18   #4019
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

Attachment 1497221
Ooh! That is a gorgeous picture! What lovely photography. Close your eyes for a moment and it looks quite like a Merc GLA!
Amazing!

On another note, what you've described about the S Cross 320Nm climbing up a very steep gradient and struggling, is something that the Yeti does admirably and mostly because of the Electronic Differential Lock and "Torque on Demand" "Power on Demand" to all Four Wheels as required. The 4x4 system really really helps on very steep inclines.
I drove to Nandi hills last week and there are parts of that road especially up near the summit where the road per se has been dug up and is merely a dirt track with plenty of loose stones and gravel and ruts thrown in. The Yeti, with is AWD and excellent torque, did not bat an eyelid at this. Just went up peacefully.
On various parts of the main road leading up the hill, I just let the vehicle's inherent torque propel it up with zero accelerator input!

Indeed, on these pretty steep ramps at Malls etc, I just take my foot off the accelerator and let the vehicle's inherent torque take it up the ramp, which it does brilliantly.

If the Maruti fellows had been kind enough to give the India spec car also these bells and whistles, it would really have been quite a Star in its own little space.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th April 2016 at 18:34.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 19:45   #4020
BHPian

Quote:
The blue is where tweeters are installed. I'm not sure, if it's the correct area. Experts can comment on it. If I'm correct, I think mi10 once told that isn't the correct area to install tweeters. Anyway, I leave it to the experts to debate. The Red portion is dummy. There is very less place below it. I doubt it serves any purpose. I initially thought it was provision for sub woofer in international version. But, when I actually saw it inside, I don't think that's the case, considering the space below is negligible.
Thanks for the info.

How do you access the tweeter area? Do I have to open the complete dashboard for it or ?

Girish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks