Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2015, 22:57   #406
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Engine & Driving Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Is Duster 4WD useful for a person who is not going to do any dedicated off-roading trip, but use the vehilcle on long drives with bad roads? I understand that it will help to escape tricky situations, as in a leh trip.
The ride and handling is way better, vehicle is very well planted even on very bad roads. If that makes a difference for you (it sure does for me), worth the slight premium. And yes might come in handy in some difficult situation also.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 23:38   #407
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
....... and the RM has promised me the same. He was mentioning that the top end 1.6 could be 13.5L ex showroom. That was a downer for me. If this is true OTR could be close to 17L. At that price I may end up cancelling and Maruti may end up losing a lot of customers. Maruti hope you are listening and the OTR for the same is not more than 15L in Bangalore.
Hi. Just a query. If you're ok for 15L OTR price, at 15.66L OTR, do you not think that the Mahindra XUV 5OO W6 variant is more value for money?

SandyGordon, similar query for you too (as I suppose we're all in a similar situation, prefering the 1.6 Alpha but hoping price isn't exhorbitant).

Also, even if S-Cross was priced sanely and below 15L OTR, is the XUV 5OO W6 not an 'as good' or better vehicle? Just trying to collect some other perspectives/opinions.
Old 2nd August 2015, 07:05   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hi. Just a query. If you're ok for 15L OTR price, at 15.66L OTR, do you not think that the Mahindra XUV 5OO W6 variant is more value for money?

SandyGordon, similar query for you too (as I suppose we're all in a similar situation, prefering the 1.6 Alpha but hoping price isn't exhorbitant).
True.
I started the search for a car at 11 lakhs, stretched all the way to 14L. I've reached the upper limit. I feel I won't be able to spend a penny above 13.5 _14L. DId not check out d xuv.1.6 mjd was the only reason to consider the s cross. From a sedan shopper now I have transformed into a crossover shopper. My runs will be 50 50 on d highway and town. I don't feel it's worth spending 15 or even 14 lakhs for the 1.6 alpha. The probable high pricing has forced me to look at other options at that price point. Checked out the creta. Appears well built for the price. My wife who is 5 4 could not find a good driving position. My mom had a tough time climbing into the back seat. The cabin was excellent for me from a driver's perspective. Seems like l 'll have a good look at the s cross 1.3 and settle for the alpha if it's adequately powerful.
For me even 13.5 L is a huge stretch unless I find emotional attachment with the car on a test drive. If alpha 1.6 is priced more than 14lakh and if I can arrange that kind of money I might consider creta 1.6 option, duster 110 rxz and the xuv 500. Finally it seems I 'll go for 1.3 alpha with a tuning box a good speaker and amp upgrade and good set of shoes with alloys and save some money for some holidays in the car. Let's see the prices on Wednesday.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:24   #409
BANNED

Quote:
With both these cars belonging to a different segment it ain't fair to compare them directly but I will get the XUV in comparison only due to pricing factor which I know you are too bringing-in because of the same case. If one can find value in spending 15L OTR for 1.6L Alpha and moreover a "Maruti Suzuki" car, then I see no harm.

I too have thought on the same lines since long and was pretty sure that I'll be getting the 1.6L Alpha. Though this investment will be 1 year later so launch pricing shall not affect my decision but what Maruti keeps the pricing at later stages. If it crosses 15L OTR, then wait for a while, save a bit more and get the W8 variant.

If one is tight on budget and wants more bang for the buck, then XUV takes the cake.

XUV is more reliable and tested in for our conditions more as compared to the DDiS 320 that hasn't tasted Indian environment and driving styles so maintenance is still a question but looking at the reliability quotient of the DDiS 200, the 1.6L engine too should perform well. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by a4anurag : 2nd August 2015 at 08:29.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:31   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also, even if S-Cross was priced sanely and below 15L OTR, is the XUV 5OO W6 not an 'as good' or better vehicle? Just trying to collect some other perspectives/opinions.
Hi,

Although the query is not directed at me. I believe it is not whether xuv is a good vehicle or not. It defenitely is, just that its a different kind of vehicle.

Something like if you want a more SUV kind of a vehicle XUV come into picture. Creta and Duster too if you dont need as much bulk as XUV.

Scross is for people who are ideally looking for a Sedan/spacious hatch (and dont care about the boot) which does more things like a hatch /sedan than an SUV. At the same time lends some versatility on the kinds of roads that can be handled due to increased ground clearance etc.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:32   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. Just a query. If you're ok for 15L OTR price, at 15.66L OTR, do you not think that the Mahindra XUV 5OO W6 variant is more value for money).

Actually I am not OK with 15L OTR but have kind of kept that as an outer limit. I have not checked the XUV though and so can't comment on that. However from the reviews I am sure that Scross will be a better drivers car than the XUV and so if one is looking for that pleasure XUV may not fit the bill.

I really have booked it for the 1.6 and the handling and highway ride of this car that has come for so much of a praise in the forum and I am hoping it doesn't disappoint me on those counts. Sincerely urging Maruti not to price it beyond 14 L to 14.5 L OTR. Guess they may get greedy with Creta giving them that space to price it higher and that will be a disappointment if it happens.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:50   #412
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

In this thread also, one notes the innate preference for size, space and "road presence".
People who consider the S Cross and other similar vehicles will not be motivated by any of these above.
They would desire a relatively unconventional vehicle which fuels their image, desire for the less mundane, desire for a little adventure and some decent features and functions.
This is, like it or not, the age of the CUV.
Space on our Indian roads is a big motivator to buy smaller vehicles. And the horrid traffic is a motivator to buy AT.
Interestingly I believe that nearly 20% of all Hyundai Creta bookings are for the AT variant. Clearly shows that the market is maturing and shifting away from the more traditional outlook of even 5 years ago!
I for one, am glad because it is really sad and silly to see a bunch of huge SUVs running about in these narrow roads and worse, only populated by one passenger, the executive driving to work in it!
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:26   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Still can't come into terms with the ordinary headlamps for lower models. Destroys the premium campaign altogether IMO. Smoking those lamps and blackening the chrome slats can do good I think.
Would it be impossible to change the headlamps to the projectors in Alpha trim? My idea is that it could be possible.
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:46   #414
BHPian

I'm yet to hear from my RM on the status of their upcoming showroom in Palace road. With 3 days to go for the official launch, I guess the inauguration will more or less coincide.

All in all, by time next week, I should know where my moolah is headed.
Old 2nd August 2015, 14:57   #415
Senior - BHPian

Checked out S-Cross in the Nexa showroom opposite EMC square, Outer ring road, Bangalore. I like the space, design, interiors, build quality, disc brake on all wheels, features and engine options.

I was hoping that the boot space is practical with more vertical space, even though it is only 350 litres. Highly disappointed with the boot space, which is quite similar to what I am getting on my Getz - 285 litres. That is a deal breaker for me. Another minus point is the lack of rear AC vent, do not know why Maruti skipped it on a basic feature on a premium car.

I do not intend to test drive the 1.6 version as I might be tempted to get the car without boot space, which is a primary requirement for me. Hope they will free more boot space by using a spare alloy wheel, given internationally as mentioned in the review.

Overall, a very good product from Maruti. In fact, I prefer the classy design of S-Cross compared to Creta.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 15:12   #416
BHPian

If Scross top end is 14 plus on road, I am sure there would be very few takers for this car. It has a lot of things going against it and very few things going for it. I am afraid this could end up as another dud for Maruti in India.
Old 2nd August 2015, 15:42   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

As we head into the next couple+ of days for the suspense to be revealed on the pricing, here is the specs from the official brochure of the 'S Cross'.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-capture.png

Here is also the S Cross in Granite Grey- suits the Crossover!

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20150802_123732.jpg
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20150802_132011.jpg

Official brochure of S Cross.

http://nexa.cloudapp.net/Content/Brochures/S-Cross.pdf

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd August 2015 at 16:00.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 16:48   #418
Senior - BHPian

I went and checked out the S-Cross in the Nexa showroom in JP Nagar, Bangalore. It is a lot bigger than it appears in photographs. Blue and grey appear to be the best suited colours for it.

Wife liked it. I liked it. Son liked it. Trouble is, wife does not like leather. So the RM kinda hinted that we could buy the top end (Alpha) variant and delete leather seats. I am not so sure, do you think this could be done?

On the other hand, I can't abide by the fact that the Zeta variant does not have climate control and HID headlamps.

Decisions ... Decisions ...
Old 2nd August 2015, 16:49   #419
BHPian

pretty average looks worsened by focal lengths

Thanks for those shots. Shows the length of the car. Wide angle shot distorts the already nose heavy looks of the car. More over the person in the frame gives a good frame of reference as regard to the size. If the head light cluster was a tad smaller the looks would have been better to show the real dimensions. All shots taken in the normal or tele focal lengths show the correct proportions. Even the Nexa ad shows the car on the edge of a wide angle shot which makes the car appear disproportionately nose heavy and tail very short.
Old 2nd August 2015, 17:40   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I went and checked out the S-Cross in the Nexa showroom in JP Nagar, Bangalore. It is a lot bigger than it appears in photographs. Blue and grey appear to be the best suited colours for it.

Wife liked it. I liked it. Son liked it. Trouble is, wife does not like leather. So the RM kinda hinted that we could buy the top end (Alpha) variant and delete leather seats. I am not so sure, do you think this could be done?
:
Easy. You will have to work out swapping the seats with a person who brought the lower end versions while taking delivery. There will be a lot of people buying mid versions and then going for aftermarket leather. Maybe you or the SA can workout a deal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks