Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2016, 22:52   #4261
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320NmThunder View Post
1. After second service of my 1.6 the average has dropped to 15-16 kmpl, earlier it was always around 18. While enjoying teh car it also goes down to 14, had never seen this figure before second service no matter how I drove the car.
Sahil, Just wondering - is your mileage highway exclusive?? I have never managed to cross 14 while driving exclusively in the City. My mileage usually hovers in the 12-13 mark in the city and I dont drive very aggressively. In highways, however, I manage to get close to 20 every time - this even with some spirited driving in stretches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
IMO, the TURBO LAG is over hyped thing. I have an ANHC with super responsive engine & super light clutch in my garage

Exactly, it is "psychological turbo lag" rather than pure.
Breezydrive, IMHO, the turbo lag is a combination of reality and perception.

The reality of the lag was found a lot of time especially in City when the rpm drops below 1500 rpm. However, I got to drive the TUV over the weekend and I found lag till 2500 rpm - only to realize that I was already well in turbo zone and that is all the power / torque the car offered. My S-Cross had similar or better torque in the non-turbo zones

All said, there is a quite some power / torque lag under 1500 rpm - however, the feel of lag is amplified by the torque building up post 1500 rpm and the thrust the car gets post 1750 rpm. I too have driven the City and Amaze for a distance good enough to form a judgement - the power / torque delivery is much more linear and very convenient in the Hondas. However, there is nothing to contribute to fun-factor - i.e. No Grin - something that we essentially look for when we drive S-Cross gives plenty of that - every time you show it the highway.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 23:40   #4262

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmenon View Post
Could you elaborate?

Is it A/C cooling or is the engine over heating.

Additional information would help the experts guide you in the right direction.

A/C Cooling could be due to reasons such as a gas leak, or a block in the filter or something related to the blower.

Engine Cooling issues would require further investigation.

You could check the coolant levels in case it is engine overheating and get it checked at M A S S as soon as possible.
The problem is with aircon only. The engine is not overheating. With the onset of real summer, it just does not cool effectively. Initially, I thought the granite grey is absorbing too much heat but that should be countered after 20 kilometres. The cooling is still not good.
Old 3rd May 2016, 00:05   #4263
BHPian

1.3 to 1.6 - Plans for a first upgrade in teambhp

Guys.. I need a genuine reply for this question?

I had bought my hippo. I am quite satisfied by the car. My family has settled well. My wife is happy about the car, she feels it to be a luxury car. My son is quite happy about the colour (He s three and judges vehicles by looking at the colour.)

I bought the car for 12.7 L OTR Kochi.
The enthusiast in me is not happy with the car, but the family man in me is really happy. I have good ACC, navigation system, leather seats and performance is on par with the competetion (say ecosport, breeza, duster 85 ps etc..)

Had a chat with the SA. A 1.6 delta white 2015 is available with the dealer. I might be able to negotiate it for around 10.8-11 L OTR. If I sell the hippo, I might get somewhere close to 9 -9.5 lacs if the depreciation is 20%. I might have to go through loan paper works and will have to cough out an additional 1-1.5 lacs. Alloys, tyres, components all can be swapped. I can talk with the code six team for a discount for the 1.6 upgrade.

On going from the 1.3 alpha to 1.6 delta, I will be losing (what I feel I ll lose)
- leather wrapped steering
- automatic climate control, navigation
- leather seats
- rear defogger
I dont care about HID, automatic, cruise control or rear wiper
I hardly use cruise control or automatic headlamps

I can swap the alloys and 225 section tyres, components, remap the ecu to stock and sell the 1.3.
I dont mind the stock audio system, anyways I was planning an upgrade to pioneer AVN with android play. Leather can be done for 25k at a local store.

Another option is to sell the 1.3 and book the 1.6 alpha. Do the same swaps. The current price OTR for alpha is 14.25 lacs. If I get 9.5 lacs for the 1.3 I ll have to cough out another 5L (EMI increase of 8000-9000 INR). Had I bought the 1.6 when it was launched I would have got it for 15.2 L(16.3 - 90k refund). So I ll be spending an additional of 2.5 L.

What do you think guys....?
Should I
a) Sell the hippo and buy the 1.6 delta 2015
b) Sell the hippo and buy the 1.6 alpha 2016
c) Wait for the new S Cross due in 2018

What do you thing is the good deal. Those who have the delta, chip in with your thoughts. I need to take a decision by this weekend.
Old 3rd May 2016, 00:36   #4264
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Ask yourself this- Will you have the same level of connect with the New S-Cross as you have with the Hippo. Now, I know that cars are meant to be changed but this case is a bit different. If your answer is yes, then go ahead with the 1.6 Alpha.
Now, you may not be too concerned about the lack of features in the Delta, but these small features do play their part in the overall ownership experience. Ask a top variant owner and an entry variant owner of a car regarding the ownership experience and you will notice small yet significant differences in their experience. Once you get used to these 'extra' features, it is really difficult to go back.
When it comes to technology, it is always better to wait. But the practical question arises, how long is good enough. Well, you never know. If you are keen on going for the 1.6, you'd rather go for it now.

Last edited by AYP : 3rd May 2016 at 00:38.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 00:44   #4265
BHPian

Re: 1.3 to 1.6 - Plans for a first upgrade in teambhp

Quote:
Dear Sandy,

Don't be stupid. Enjoy your Hippo. Because,

1. Your family is happy ( most important point)
2. You Won't get 9.5L for your Hippo if you decide to sell now ( My realistic assessement; just think about used car market in Kerala)
3. Additional EMI burden is not a good thing (my personal opinion)
4. I know S-Cross 1.6 is an entirely different animal compared to 1.3 but it's still not a FERRARI - I think you got my point.
5. Wait for 3-4 years and pick the next generation S-cross.
6. Rather than spending a couple of lakhs now, invest the money; who knows you may be looking at BMW's 4 years down the line.

Or buy a used car like Honda city Vtec(first generation)/Honda Civic and drive hard. It will definitely make you grin everytime you unleash the horses beneath the bonnet. It will keep the enthusiast in you really happy.
DrANTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 01:07   #4266
BHPian

Quote:
I bought the car for 12.7 L OTR Kochi.
The enthusiast in me is not happy with the car, but the family man in me is really happy. I have good ACC, navigation system, leather seats and performance is on par with the competetion (say ecosport, breeza, duster 85 ps etc..)

Had a chat with the SA. A 1.6 delta white 2015 is available with the dealer. I might be able to negotiate it for around 10.8-11 L OTR. If I sell the hippo, I might get somewhere close to 9 -9.5 lacs if the depreciation is 20%. I might have to go through loan paper works and will have to cough out an additional 1-1.5 lacs. Alloys, tyres, components all can be swapped. I can talk with the code six team for a discount for the 1.6 upgrade.
Oh my friend sandygordon, with the post above, you have just made a revelation that you still love the girlfriend of yours who had eloped with the richer brat. You tried to beautify her (crippled) sister you had married and also got her better shoes and stuff which would make her less crippled(??). But I guess, she still was never able to get you over the beautiful sister you once (and always) loved. Well, all this is in reference to one of your older posts in this thread (quoted below).

Quote:
My 1.6 girlfriend has eloped with a richer brat. Either I can marry her 1.3 sister (They say she is crippled) who is sympathetic towards me ( and used to adore me )
Coming back to present days - it is not even half a day since made the below quotes.

Quote:
I totally agree
Unless you have a 6 lane highway with speed limit of 150kmph, there is hardly any utility point for a 1.6 barring the fun factor - the thing that the enthusiast is looking for. Buy the 1.6 for the fun factor and for those 100kmph+ overtakes.
Quote:
If you are stuck to a busy town, the "psychological turbo lag" of the 1.6 which many have described will take a toll on the left knee.
Quote:
Remap it and it becomes 30-40% of the fun as well
Quote:
Will Maruti bring a TCSS gear box with AWD in the 1.6 anytime in the future.? May be the European facelift might change S cross es fortune. Until then 1.3 should keep me happy.
I feel really bad for you my friend. I know you were always longing for the 1.6 and due to Maruti's pricing blunder, you had to go with the 1.3. Now the reduced price is killing you even more. I guess you were trying to convince yourself, more than others, with all the points above. I mean, the head says all this - but the heart still is longing for the 1.6.

To be very frank, I would have been in the same boat as you if I had gone ahead with the S-Cross when I had initially planned. Fortunately for me, the planets wrote some magic script which in the end of the day ended with me getting the 1.6 Alpha.

But Yes, I would NEVER sell the car and buy a new one so soon.

Quote:
On going from the 1.3 alpha to 1.6 delta, I will be losing (what I feel I ll lose)
- leather wrapped steering
- automatic climate control, navigation
- leather seats
- rear defogger
I dont care about HID, automatic, cruise control or rear wiper
I hardly use cruise control or automatic headlamps

I can swap the alloys and 225 section tyres, components, remap the ecu to stock and sell the 1.3.

Another option is to sell the 1.3 and book the 1.6 alpha. Do the same swaps. The current price OTR for alpha is 14.25 lacs. If I get 9.5 lacs for the 1.3 I ll have to cough out another 5L (EMI increase of 8000-9000 INR). Had I bought the 1.6 when it was launched I would have got it for 15.2 L(16.3 - 90k refund). So I ll be spending an additional of 2.5 L.

Should I
Well sandygordon, I dont have the Delta - but I feel you will miss the creature comforts in the Alpha if you go with the Delta - especially since you are already used to the Alpha.
  • The ACC
  • Rear demister, washer and wiper
  • Driver Seat height adjuster
  • Dead pedal
Above are extremely useful features which cannot be retro-fit.

Auto dimming IRVM, Fog Lamps, Reverse Camera, Leather seating and steering, Parcel Tray can be got as accessories. I am sure you will not miss the Cruise Control, HIDs, Pilot lamps, Auto Headlamps & wipers, Push button start, etc too much.

If the sale of 1.3 and purchase of 1.6 is not going to make a big financial impact, you can definitely think of the upgrade. I am sure this is not the case, but please do not be motivated just by the number of people who have upgraded from 1.3 to 1.6 - they were all in the booking stage I am sure you will take an informed call. All the best!!

Last edited by Vigkey : 3rd May 2016 at 01:10.
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 02:04   #4267
BHPian

Vitamin M is deficient. So no rash decisions will be taken.
However this can spark off a new set of discussions on 1.6 vs 1.3, even though I will be embarassing myself.
Old 3rd May 2016, 03:15   #4268
BHPian

Quote:
Does your car feel power deficient?
Selling and buying one with better engine isn't a solution.
Try with performance mods. The 1.3MJD a.k.a National Engine will have plenty of reliable, powerful yet efficient remap options

Click here to know the power of remap on Duster 85PS.

Still want to satisfy the enthusiasm? Save for pre owned bimmer.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 06:11   #4269
BHPian

Quote:

I had bought my hippo. I am quite satisfied by the car. My family has settled well. My wife is happy about the car, she feels it to be a luxury car. My son is quite happy about the colour (He s three and judges vehicles by looking at the colour.)

Got my 1.3 Alpha on 3-Sep because 1.6 delta was 1.5 lacs more expensive than 1.3. Alpha. Driving a stock car and have done 11k kms on it. No remap.

Always had the grudge of landing up with the crippled sister because of Suzuki pricing. Kept feeling that I got a raw deal and felt the car was under-powered. The feeling was like a sine wave but kept coming back.

But after the 3rd service less than a month back, something has happened to the car which is making me love it more each day. The drives are something I am quite excited about and look forward to.

The car seems to be giving out more power and responds quite nicely to the pressure on the accelerator. It goes upto 3k rpm without a hint of increased engine noise or delay.

I am so happy in life. I have completely forgotten 1.6 and not dreaming of it any more. My genuine question to the forum is: Should I go for a test drive of 1.6 now? 😜😜

Last edited by @viral : 3rd May 2016 at 06:39.
@viral is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 06:32   #4270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @viral View Post
I am so happy in life. I have completely forgotten 1.6 and not dreaming of it any more. My genuine question to the forum is: Should I go for a test drive of 1.6 now? 😜😜
You should
And you ll end up asking the question I have asked..
Old 3rd May 2016, 06:55   #4271
BHPian

Hi,

Just removed all the wheel-caps to see how my Dleta looks like. And, looks like I am going to retain this look for some time.

Only problem is the clearly visible rusting at the centre of the wheel. Is it common? If not what may be the alternative. Also, is there a place where I can get a cap just to cover that rusting?

Sorry for the bad quality of images. Took them from my mobile and in the parking area.

cheers,
girish
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross1.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross02.jpg  

girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 07:43   #4272
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Should I

Sandy I have read your posts regularly since your acquisition of 'Hippo' and there have been an ever-present remorse for not having 1.6.

It is certian that the factor 'Deprivation' is clearly responsible for this wherein your mind repeatedly focuses on what others have and you don't have while at the same time choosing to ignore what you have which others may not have ! It is sad that with remap too it couldn't be cured. So even those gizmos couldn't help.

In my case while deciding between 1.3 and 1.6, I think your case influenced me to a large extent besides Mi10's marvelous review of 1.6. Of course Team BHP's official review leaves nothing unrevealed!

Vigkey very aptly explained your situation

IMHO realistic resale value from 1.3 would help you to decide better or if confusion still persists you should delay it for time will surely fetch you a confident answer !

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd May 2016 at 07:59. Reason: Typos, fixing quote.
Sip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 07:52   #4273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Should I
I have driven 1.3 multijet engine in my SX4 for more than 1 lakh kms. Stock 1.3 is no way underpowered and it is decent enough. There's no point selling your car now and investing more for 1.6. A remapped 1.3 should be doing around 115-120 bhp.

I had booked 1.3 Zeta initially and now upgraded to 1.6 Alpha. It is not because 1.3 is bad. 1.3 on it's own is a capable engine and only when it gets compared with 1.6, it feels underpowered. 1.6 is a different story with that 320 nm torque. Also, I did not want same 1.3 engine(same as SX4). I wanted to try something new and powerful.

I suggest you to drive your Hippo for another 2-3 years. Maruti might localise 1.6 and get it in Vitara. Also, Who knows what would be on offer in 2018? There might be something better than 1.6.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:21   #4274
BHPian

Quote:

:
I wish you've killed your thoughts of getting 1.6. It's a beautiful car, no doubt about that. But, if you are driving mostly within the city and that you have remapped, you surely shouldn't go for 1.6. You can instead wait till the Vitara arrives and go for it.

I'm getting a mileage of around 13 within the city for my 1.6 (with ac running all the time). Highway mileage is nearing 20.
My opinion on turbo lag is, there is a lag which may be psychologically exaggerated, but there is surely a lag. In Chennai, people get off once the signal turns green like a F1 racer. In those situation, you can surely feel the lag. Everyone overtakes you, but its very brief. Once the car crosses 1700 rpm, it rockets down and then there is no stopping. The car performs beautifully on the highways. You hardly get to use the sixth gear, it doesn't slot well either in my car. You never run out of power. The biggest concern for me is braking post 100 kmph, the steering starts vibrating and that's scary. I run stock alloys.
I have a question to the experts. Mine is a Zeta version. So, I had to get my rear view camera done outside and its display is in the ICE. You can't fix a rear view camera in Zeta 1.6 like plug and play. It needs integration. If, I had to update my software with car play, will the previous integration go waste? The guy who did the integration charges a bomb and if that's the case I wouldn't update.

Last edited by Dani7766 : 3rd May 2016 at 08:22.
Dani7766 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:10   #4275
BHPian

just want to share my little experience last week.while returning from Bandra Worli Sea Link I had some doubts in my mind about steering vibrations (Lots of people have faced this).i have swapped the OEM alloys for Momo's without any Hub rings and i was expecting some vibrations.Saw some long free space ahead of me and decided to clear my doubts.pressed the right foot hard beyond my limit(I never runs the car over 100 in city limits).to my surprise there were ZERO vibrations on steering .I was around 140km/hr for about a minute or more and felt zero vibrations and car was rock solid with some little Road noise inside cabin.have to say I am more than happy with Michelin Primacy 3st

Most Viewed