Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:47   #451
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Team,

Checked out the Scorss and Creta in Hyd. My impressions below:

Scross: Please All Offend None car (this desc fits Scross to the T)

It doesn't really look like an extended hatch at all.

They had 3 alpha variants in Brown, Silver and White on display.

-Ve's:

1. Hump in the rear seat is very prominent
2. Added to is the cup holder / rear arm rest makes is ideal for only 4 passengers
3. Rear seat head rest is not positioned as correctly pointed out in our review. It would be better if we remove it completely
4. I am 5.6' and I fund the head room very average in Scross at both front and back
5. Front seat seemed to be less spacious than my current Swift which I found strange. Even the Duster front seat doesn't seem to be as spacious as the Swift front seat
6. Boot space is very less or very average
7. Steering wheel is a bit small for the car this size
8. You need press the center for honking as there is no provision to use the thumb for honking

Now to +'ves:

1. The car looks very good in real. Pics don't do justice
2. Paint quality is top notch. Very very good.
3. Interior fit and finish is very good
4. Alloy wheels don't look ugly or out of place at all. They look decent and compliment the car looks. You have see in real to believe
5. Instrument cluster looked good
6. All black interiors is elegant and has a classy feel

RM told me that the 1.3 will be 10.5 and 1.6 would be 12.5 ex show room.

I am willing to go against the norm and bet that S-Cross will be a sure shot success irrespective of price. Suzuki have a winner on hand.

Nexa experience was ok / decent. Nothing great at the sametime no irritant.

Creta: (sx model was on display)

Didn't spend much time as Scross.

The Hyundia interiors is not really great to be honest. It is given for more credit than it deserves.

Biggest issue with Creta is egress. If you have middle aged and elderly parents, they are going to be really pissed off with getting out of the car. It is horrible.

Creta looked good from the front but somehow the side profile and back aren't seamless. It appeared tacky to me.

Service was poor in Hyundai showroom.
BheemBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:41   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
  • Creta
    1.4L CRDi Base - 9.59 Lakhs
    1.4L CRDi S - 10.56 Lakhs

S-Cross Alpha offers MUCH MUCH more than these 2 variants but the engine is equally powerful and more torquey with lesser lag in Creta. Overall I feel S-Cross Alpha will be much more VFM than Creta for the same price.

• Duster
    85 PS RxE - 9.1 Lakhs
    85 PS RxL - 10.15 Lakhs

Again, S-Cross Alpha offers MUCH MUCH more than these 2 variants but the engine is more tractable in Duster with a better ride + handling package. Overall S-Cross Alpha will be much more VFM than Duster for the same price.

• i20 Active
    1.4L CRDi SX - 9.05 Lakhs

S-Cross Alpha offers a lot more features than this variant but i20 Active will be better to drive as it will weigh less and is shorter in length as well. From a VFM perspective - it will mostly be a match or S-Cross might edge ahead for the additional space it offers.

• Ecosport
    1.5 L Titanium - ~10 Lakhs (not able to find exact figure from Ford website)

S-Cross Alpha offers some more features than this variant but Ecosport's engine will be better more powerful and also has lesser lag. The space is at premium in the Ecosport but is plenty in the S-Cross. Stiffer ride and ultra-light steering also pulls down the Ecosport a notch bellow. But then, from a VFM perspective - it will mostly be a match or Ecosport might edge ahead just for the looks (much more macho and aspirational) and also has a better engine.
This is my perspective and why I chose to go ahead with the S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha. However, if we bring in hatchbacks like i20 / Jazz into picture and if one is not sucker for features - the S-Cross might stand to lose on the VFM equation.

I Believe the 1.4 CRDi is much more torquey than DDiS 200. Multijet in 90 PS avatar has a torque rating of 200NM whereas the 1.4CRDi is somewhere around 230NM.
To Me S Cross is good only with DDiS320. With DDiS200, Ertiga and Ciaz itself pose a lot of threat to S Cross.What works against S Cross is its looks. Had it had a SUV presence, 1.3Multijet would have been a hot cake with cheaper price tag , not with current looks of S Cross cannot hold a candle to Duster/Creta/Ecosport (in terms of SUV stance).
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:29   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
What works against S Cross is its looks. Had it had a SUV presence, 1.3Multijet would have been a hot cake with cheaper price tag , not with current looks of S Cross cannot hold a candle to Duster/Creta/Ecosport (in terms of SUV stance).
The whole point is, neither is the S-Cross an SUV, nor does it claim to be one - it in the name after all

Therefore, while the looks of the car may not appeal to all, comparing it to the likes of wannabe/mini SUVs is, perhaps, unjustified if not inappropriate. It's a coincidence at best that the Creta and S-Cross have a 2 week apart launch. My 2 cents.

Last edited by pannags : 3rd August 2015 at 12:30. Reason: corrected typo
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:43   #454
BHPian

Bumped into the S-Cross displayed at the Season's mall (I did not know there was going to be a display) and spend 5/10 minutes looking at the interiors and the exterior. There were a lot of people checking it out, so think the car is ticking a few boxes in the looks department for the junta. Some impressions/points that stood out
  • Its not a looker like the Jazz or the Elite i20 but it can still be termed as pleasant to look at. The car on display was the Urban Blue which looked cool. Wife was impressed with the exterior looks and the paint quality.
  • It looked to me like an elongated hatch. Hence, in my mind the comparisons were with the Jazz and the i20 and not the Ecosport, Creta or the Duster.
  • Very spacious inside. Good headroom and leg room for me (5' 4'') both in the front and the back. Comparable to the Jazz.
  • One of the things that I did not like in the car when sitting in the front is
    the front/back seating position adjust bar (which is under the seat). It protrudes quiet a bit in lower seat area. So much so that when sitting in a normal position (without stretching your legs) the back of your leg is touching the bar at all times.
    While this might not be such a big deal for the driver, for the co-passenger this is a annoyance.
  • The dashboard area with the 7" touch screen did not actually look very good to me. The sore point was the shape of the unit Vs the V/U shaped housing of it. Made me feel like some buttons are missing on the sides of it every time I looked at it. On the lower versions which don't get the large touch system this should probably not be the case. The piano black finish on the side of the unit seemed to attract a lot of finger and thumb marks which is expected.
  • The interiors are great but not close to the Elite i20. I would probably rate the interiors at the same level as the new Jazz.
  • The boot in the S-Cross appears narrow and high. But its pretty much flat so unloading should be a simpler exercise as you would not need to lift the luggage up to remove it. Overall the Jazz boot seems larger though the number capacity of them both might be similar.
  • The Nexa executive that spoke to us was quiet knowledgeable and well mannered. Have received a prompt SMS on my number about the interaction on Saturday and that the launch is on the 7th (of the showroom and the car). This one seems to be coming up at Shivaji Nagar (between Sancheti and Bank of Maharashtra).

Overall, seems like a decent proposition for someone looking for an upgrade and remain within the Maruti/Suzuki stable but not something that is a WOW offering otherwise (both in the looks and the interiors department). A petrol and an automatic offerings are sorely missed; if they had at least one of those, it would have been in our list (but probably at the bottom) of probables.

Last edited by ashua : 3rd August 2015 at 14:48.
Old 3rd August 2015, 15:50   #455
BHPian

Brilliant review guys. So many points which usually we miss as buyers of such cars. Exceptional. Was fun reading though it.
Old 3rd August 2015, 16:19   #456
BHPian

The review and the vehicle, both are spot on. I hope Maruti tastes success in this endeavor of theirs. The car seems a winner as it is addressing areas (drive, handling, feel and finish) where other brands traditionally have been better.

Thanks once again for the crisp and detailed review.
Old 3rd August 2015, 17:23   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

The first accessory for S Cross from Nexa, more to come ( seat covers, alloy wheels, electric cool box, etc)

1. Bumper protectors.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-fullsizerender.jpg
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-fullsizerender-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 17:48   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The first accessory for S Cross from Nexa, more to come ( seat covers, alloy wheels, electric cool box, etc)

1. Bumper protectors.
And the onslaught of chrome begins hope they don't come up with chrome handles, mirror covers, chrome around the lights etc. Gosh I shudder to think they might.

I nice set of Alloys is all the car needs
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 18:24   #459
BHPian

Wonderful review. Rated it well deserved 5 star.

As I am looking to replace my 6yr old Swift, my mind was occupied only with Jazz and Creta in last few months that I had completely ignored S Cross. Maybe some uninspiring S Cross exterior photos from net contributed to this. Both Jazz and Creta disappointed me on varies counts. I was primarily looking for a AT car/SUV for around 14L for my city and highway drives(50:50). Jazz pricing was horrible with almost 10L OTR for AT and that was not a top end. And Creta's 17L for AT which is again offered only in 1 non-top end variant. After reading this wonderful review and knowing fully well there is no AT offered in S Cross I paid a visit to Nexa JP Nagar with my father and wife during weekend.

First the Nexa experience. Really liked the whole setup and the way customers are handled. Completely opposite to what I experienced at Hyundai showroom (Trident Hosur) last week. Entire 45min we were in the showroom to checkout the Creta not even a single soul bothered ask us why we are there, if that's your idea of selling a 17L car, good luck. My RM at Nexa was very well informed about the car and he patiently answered all my questions. He was all gaga over the way Maruti Suzuki has trained him and some other handpicked RMs last month in Delhi and told me that MS has invested around 600 crore for Nexa setup alone. Hope Nexa guys don’t develop complacency over the years and start taking customers for granted like few of us have experienced at Hyundai sales centres.

Now the car itself, first what I didn't like:
-As already pointed out by many, exterior design is no head turner not from any angle
-Awfully designed alloys, how does these even get approved? But only relief is they don't look as bad as pictures suggest.
-Boot space should have been more for a car of this size. But I get it, as per RM Maruti don't wanted to compromise on GC by providing spare wheel any lower than this.
-Proper DRLs should have been provided
-HU integration and dash design should have been much better
-No rear AC vents
-As per my RM, Maruti provides only 2 years of warranty by default. Customers can opt for 2yrs extended.

What I liked:
-Rear seats split 60:40 a major plus for me (This is provided in all the variants. In Creta only AT gets it, may be someone someday will explain me the logic behind this)
-Cruise control
-Rear leg room. I am 5.11" I was comfortable at the back with driver seat set to my driving position
-Bottle storage on all the doors
-Front arm rest which slides forward, extremely handy.
-Apart from 2 front doors rear boot door also gets sensor
-Those HID projector headlamps look gorgeous
-And, off course going by reviews the mighty 1.6 DDiS engine

Like few on this forum I took the plunge and booked Alpha DDiS320 Caffeine Brown colour I think S Cross looks good in this colour especially front end with chrome inserts around fog lamp. Chrome doesn't look intrusive as it does on most of the new cars. I can anyway opt for different colour later. Here is the screen grab from one of the video reviews on the net.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-1.jpg

How I wish Maruti had provided a AT variant as well, may be my next car. I really hope Maruti would provide good amount of official accessories. If better looking alloys are in the list, I will replace them with stock alloys before even I drive the car out of the showroom. I also think rear spoiler will add that sportiness to this otherwise dull looking exterior. My RM has told me that he will mail me the accessory list on Wednesday morning.
Now agonizing 48hrs of wait continues for the prices to be announced. I just spent few minutes to carefully scrutinize e-brochure to weigh my options for top 2 variants, Zeta and Alpha. This is what Zeta misses over top end Alpha:
-Leather package
-HID Projector Headlamps
-Rain sensing wipers
-Auto Headlamps
-LED position lamps

However certain features like reverse parking camera, cruise control and ACC are provided in both DDiS200 Zeta and Alpha while DDiS320 get these 3 features only in top end Alpha. I really liked the fact that Maruti is offering all 4 disk brakes, dual airbags, ABS and 60:40 split rear seats on all the variants including very low end Sigma. It will be interesting to see how much of price gap between different variants Maruti decides to keep. If DDis320 Alpha touches 15L OTR Bangalore I will change my booking to DDiS200 Alpha. Having driven the same 1.3L engine on my Swift for last 6yrs I know what it is capable of but will have to wait and see if its enough for a car of S Cross size, can't wait for the TD.
Old 3rd August 2015, 19:08   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Attachment 1398671
The MARUTI SUZUKI logo is slapped on I thought this wasn't happening. Tried looking on Nexa's website but couldn't source any accessory brochure there.
Old 3rd August 2015, 19:12   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

S Cross Brochure pictures:

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-1.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-2.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-3.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-4.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-5.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-6.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-7.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-8.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-9.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-10.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-11.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-12.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-13.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-14.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-15.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-16.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-17.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-18.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-19.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-21.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-22.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-23.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-24.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-25.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-26.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-27.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-28.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th August 2015 at 09:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 19:50   #462
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

An update to my earlier post with the Variant comparisons on the old S-cross thread.

This one is based on the brochure link in @volkman10's post

It's good that there is no Sigma(O) variant with the DDiS 200, simplifies things a bit and all variants will now get Front & Rear Disc Brakes, ABS, 2 Airbags, Yay
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-featurelist1.png

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-featurelist2.png

Name:  FeatureList3.png
Views: 6985
Size:  31.4 KB

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-featurelist4.png

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-featurelist5.png

So, here goes..
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-common-features-yay.png

*The ones called out with Yay! are the ones that made me happy, especially considering Maruti's past history with equipping variants. This includes safety and some nice to have utilitarian features.

*The DDiS 200 Sigma gets 4 speakers but no CD Player/infotainment system!

Lower to next higher variant comparisons (upgrade scenarios) - once pricing is announced, we can see if it makes sense to plonk the extra money the higher variant commands for the additional features offered

DDiS 200 Sigma Vs Delta (Sigma does not get these):
  • Roof Rail
  • Chrome door handles
  • Luggage room illumination
  • Glove Box illumination
  • Front footwell illumination
  • Anti Theft Security system
  • Reverse parking sensor with display
  • Steering mounted audio controls
  • Steering mounted calling controls
  • Bluetooth connectivity
  • USB + Aux In Connectivity
  • Telescopic steering
  • Driver side vanity mirror
  • Sliding front centre armrest with storage
  • Glove box damper
  • Driver side footrest
  • Sunglass Holder

DDiS 200 Delta Vs Zeta (Delta does not get these):
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Turn Lamps on ORVM
  • Front Fog lamp
  • Reverse parking camera
  • Rear wiper & washer
  • Rear Demister
  • Smartplay infotainment system
  • Tweeters (2)
  • Navigation system
  • Remote Control through Smartphone app
  • Voice Command
  • Electrically foldable ORVMs
  • Auto AC
  • Vanity mirror lamps
  • Rear centre armrest with cup holders
  • Driver seat height adjustor
  • Reclining rear seat
  • Luggage room accessory socket
  • Dual side operable parcel tray
  • Engine Push start/stop
  • Cruise Control system

DDiS 200 Zeta vs Alpha (Zeta does not get these):
  • LED Position Lamps
  • Door armrest in PVC
  • Leather seat upholstery
  • Leather wrapped Steering Wheel
  • HID-Projector headlamps
  • Auto headlamp
  • Rain sensing wiper
  • Auto dimming IRVM

DDiS 320 Delta Vs Zeta (Delta does not get these):
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Chrome door handles
  • Front Fog lamp
  • Auto dimming IRVM
  • Rear wiper & washer
  • Rear Demister
  • Smartplay infotainment system
  • Tweeters (2)
  • Navigation system
  • Remote Control through Smartphone app
  • Voice Command
  • Vanity mirror lamps
  • Rear centre armrest with cup holders
  • Glove box damper
  • Driver side footrest
  • Driver seat height adjustor
  • Reclining rear seat
  • Luggage room accessory socket
  • Dual side operable parcel tray
  • Engine Push start/stop

DDiS 320 Zeta Vs Alpha (Zeta does not get these):
  • LED Position Lamps
  • Door armrest in PVC
  • Auto headlamp
  • Rain sensing wiper
  • Reverse parking camera
  • Auto AC
  • Cruise Control system

*I think the DDiS 320 Zeta should have got Auto AC and Cruise Control!

*Wondering if the dual side operable parcel tray can be fixed on lower variants if available as an accessory ?

Last edited by NPV : 3rd August 2015 at 20:14. Reason: Parcel tray upgrade ?
NPV is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 20:58   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

DDiS 320 Zeta Vs Alpha (Zeta does not get these):
  • LED Position Lamps
  • Door armrest in PVC
  • Auto headlamp
  • Rain sensing wiper
  • Reverse parking camera
  • Auto AC
  • Cruise Control system

*I think the DDiS 320 Zeta should have got Auto AC and Cruise Control!

2 big misses for me (See in bold)
Can we add a reverse cam to the AVN system??
Has anyone seen the ac knobs in the lower variants?? Please share pictures if some one has them.

S cross perfomance as per ACI August 2015
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-1.6.jpg  

Last edited by sandygordon : 3rd August 2015 at 21:17.
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 21:21   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
S cross perfomance as per ACI August 2015
Thanks. While looking at these performance figures, it's imperative to keep in mind that the S-cross (1.6) runs much taller gearing than any competing car, which is the reason why the "on-paper" figures look less impressive than they ought to be.

3rd gear - ~28 kmph / 1000 RPM (Typically around 22-23 kmph /1000 RPM)
4th gear - ~40 kmph / 1000 RPM (Typically around 30 kmph/1000 RPM)

Last edited by d3mon : 3rd August 2015 at 21:25.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 21:29   #465
BHPian

While Creta had too many Price related Scoops floating around before its launch, S-Cross didn't get variant by variant price scoops. Looks like Maruti is doing its bit to keep it well hidden. Good job!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks