Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 21:48   #466
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
@VigKey +1 for DDIS 200. Booked it on the day the booking commenced.

I am sceptical with the pricing by seeing the other two launches this year (JAZZ and CRETA) and I am getting nightmares that the price would exceed my budget and I might have to cancel my booking.
Thats great Arindam. Good to see some company.

Everyone starting from my wife to our moderator Vidyut cannot believe that I have moved on to S-Cross. Everyone believed I would go for Jazz. Creta was in my consideration too - briefly. i20 lost the plot with its steering and soft suspension. Till That is when S-Cross came into the picture from no where and now I have my fingers crossed for the pricing. I don't want to wait for another car - if not S-Cross, I will swiftly have to make a decision from the existing options. Seriously tired of all the calculations and the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The company worked wonders with the engine and gearing in the Ciaz. Infact as long as you work it, its quite easy to hoon about.

However the added weight in the S-Cross teamed with its commendable dynamic abilities will make it more obviously lacking in the power department; don't get me wrong, it will do the job, but I would recommend you set some money aside for a remap after you've properly broken it in.
I wish the engine is tuned for performance and not efficiency. I am a sedate driver and unless the engine is seriously under-powered, I should be happy with it. I am pretty happy with the 1.2 VTVT on my Dzire and never felt it out of power. Thats why I felt the DDiS on S-Cross should be sufficient for me.

Remap or tuner box is also there in the back of my mind. I don't usually fiddle with OEM stuff, but will think about this if the current tune does not satisfy me and I feel a serious lack of power.

Quote:
Really? The 350 litre space isnt too bad but nothing great either for a car its size, however the flat and low loading lip as well as the layout actually scores it some usability points IMO
The problem with the boot is the height is too low. There is no way you can keep a tall suitcase vertically with the parcel tray in place. Putting it horizontally, there will be some empty space which might not be able to hold a medium size bag. So, even though the number is not bad, we might end up with some empty spaces due to the low height. I guess Maruti wants the buyers to be good planners to use the space effectively.

Quote:
Shouldn't go without saying that you must change those tyres to better more premium rubber if you don't do any off-roading then just slap on some good primacys or yoko decibels. Tyre size seems okay and a 60 profile is always a boon on our country's roads.
Michelin Primacy is the one I am thinking of. This should give superior ride quality and also help in reducing road noise. In addition, the grip levels are also good, going by the reviews. Again, I don't usually change OEM stuff but based on reviews, the JK tires are seriously bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Hey Vigkey, BTW, I'm sure you've though about the nightmarish prospect of Alpha DDiS200 being slotted at 9.99 lakhs, ex-SR, Delhi! (which essentially means it crosses the 10L mark in Bangalore. So much for the terrific infrastructure Bangalore offers). That's the only reason I'm looking at the Zeta DDiS200 as a serious contender.
Oh Yes, it is there in the back of my mind and I am seriously praying for a maximum of 9.99 ex-showroom Bangalore for DDiS 200 Alpha variant. Zeta is also a serious contender, but unfortunately loses out on the HID projectors and leather package. This is what makes S-Cross a seriously premium crossover. I dont mind the absence of auto head-lamps and wipers though. Worst case will be Zeta but in that case, i20 and Jazz will be back in the reckoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I Believe the 1.4 CRDi is much more torquey than DDiS 200. Multijet in 90 PS avatar has a torque rating of 200NM whereas the 1.4CRDi is somewhere around 230NM.
To Me S Cross is good only with DDiS320. With DDiS200, Ertiga and Ciaz itself pose a lot of threat to S Cross.What works against S Cross is its looks. Had it had a SUV presence, 1.3Multijet would have been a hot cake with cheaper price tag , not with current looks of S Cross cannot hold a candle to Duster/Creta/Ecosport (in terms of SUV stance).
Torque rating of 1.4 CRDi is 220 Nm to be precise. In fact, I had mentioned that 1.4 CRDi will be the more torquey engine in my post as well - No doubt about this fact. I also agree, with the 1.3 L engine, Ciaz and Ertiga are competitors to S-Cross and will appear to be better choices for many - but I am not in that list. Ertiga NEVER excited me and Ciaz is a very good car, but it somehow has not impressed me much. Maybe the low seating in the rear bench. Also, I don't really love sedans. I am more of a hatchback person.

Quote:
And the onslaught of chrome begins hope they don't come up with chrome handles, mirror covers, chrome around the lights etc. Gosh I shudder to think they might.

I nice set of Alloys is all the car needs
I am not going for any of those blingy accessories for sure. Thank God the car in itself was not over-loaded with chrome. The grille even though not classy, is not too gaudy and the touches around the fog lamps are actually classy. I hope we get a gunmetal shade alloy option in the accessories - will go very well with the character of the car. Im waiting!!!
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 23:06   #467
BHPian

@VigKey . Sure Mate hope Maruti is looking at our post.

You wrote each and everything I am going through from I20 Elite to Jazz. Got a deadline from my better half that she won't be waiting for one more new release.

Fingers Crossed!!

1 more day to Go.
Old 3rd August 2015, 23:18   #468
BHPian

Team-BHP-ians, Attaching below a set of pictures of lower variant S-Cross from TAI. Akash had clicked the pics at a NEXA dealership!!!

Pic Credits: Dear friend Akash1886 of The Automotive India.

Pearl White S-Cross which is a non top-end variant. Notice the normal headlamps, black roof rail and absence of fog lamps?
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross_1.png

Closer look at the headlamps and absence of fog lamps.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross_2.png

Door handles without the request sensor for key-less entry. Is the handle different from the ones on Alpha? It appears to have a different pattern.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross_3.png

A look at the dashboard and steering. Notice the steering without leather wrap and cruise control buttons.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross_4.png

Picture of keyhole. Notice the absence of fog-lamp buttons? Thankfully no cap in place of push button start
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross_5.png

The well integrated 2 DIN HU.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross_6.png

The manual AC controls looks very basic.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross_7.png

The 5 speed gear lever. This is the DDiS 200 model. Notice the remote control for the music system in the background.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross_8.png

Fabric seat cover in the rear
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross_9.png

The wheel cap actually looks better than the Alloys
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross_10.png

Thanks again Akash for the pics!!!

Last edited by Vigkey : 3rd August 2015 at 23:44.
Vigkey is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 00:20   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Team-BHP-ians, Attaching below a set of pictures of lower variant S-Cross from TAI. Akash had clicked the pics at a NEXA dealership!!!

Thanks again Akash for the pics!!!
Expect REAL attractive pricing for that one. Superbly stripped of things and right for giving a nice entry price. Just worried about the price difference now for the top end variants. So much equipment gets added as we go up variants.

No wonder they achieved 97% localisation for the 1.3 - Everything looks to be from some other Maruti

Last edited by audioholic : 4th August 2015 at 00:22.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 00:39   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Expect REAL attractive pricing for that one. Superbly stripped of things and right for giving a nice entry price. Just worried about the price difference now for the top end variants. So much equipment gets added as we go up variants.

No wonder they achieved 97% localisation for the 1.3 - Everything looks to be from some other Maruti
Yes, Sadly from pretty lower in segment. My brother has an Alto K10 VXI, HU seems better there!
sathya_g_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 01:53   #471
BHPian

I guess part sharing for lower spec was a given, the range is expected to start from 8. I hope higher versions in ddis200 would be nicer.

That said, how i hope that 1.6 zeta had following -
- auto ac
- Hid's
- leather steering wheel
- better alloys

Last edited by Abhi99 : 4th August 2015 at 01:56.
Old 4th August 2015, 05:14   #472
BHPian

Thanks for the pictures. Seems to be rhe delta variant DDIS 200.
IMO
Head lamps looks okay, on lighter colours would look inoffensive.
Music system looks trash, begs for replacement (Screen size similar to that in i20 LOL)
AC Knobs look yuck, alto-ish, better controls on the Duster IMO
Steering looks a notch down the ciaz's vdi/vxi unit
Wheel covers are okay
I think this model would be pegged at 8.5-9 L or with the Ertiga VDI
Nothing 'premium' here
I think to feel the 'premium-ness' if any, one should go for 1.3 zeta, 1.3 alpha or 1.6 alpha. Any other variant for me would not give the feel of a premium vehicle.
I had thought about going for the 1.6 zeta, but now I feel those ac knobs would stare at me and make me repent the decision, everytime I get into the car, until I floor the throttle.

Last edited by sandygordon : 4th August 2015 at 05:29. Reason: spell
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 06:53   #473
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Can we add a reverse cam to the AVN system??
Since the infotainment system will be there in the Zeta and the higher Alpha will have the reverse parking sensor connected to the same system, I think it will be possible to fit an after-market reverse parking camera, may take some time before the accessories guys figure this out. I'm not too sure if the Nexa guys will offer this as an accessory upgrade.
I'm not a great fan of after-market accessories because of fit and finish problems, niggles and I don't like those guys opening door panels, drilling holes, etc. I like to keep the vehicle stock as much as possible especially with electric/electronic gadgetry. If the difference in not too much do consider going with Alpha as it will come fully loaded and you will not have to bother at least in regards to reverse parking camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
The manual AC controls looks very basic.
Those AC control knobs are pretty similar to the ones in my first gen Dzire!

Last edited by NPV : 4th August 2015 at 07:05. Reason: ten=gen!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 08:27   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Tried looking on Nexa's website but couldn't source any accessory brochure there.
This logo should be ignored. This is a preview, the entire accessory list will be revealed on 5th. Let's see if I get get hold of a few more snap shots today.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 09:32   #475
BHPian

Had a chance to sit in one all in all inside it has a bit more space than the Honda Jazz "Width wise" other than that space in general is quite similar. Happy to report the sheet metal certainly is better than the Jazz.

I do hope it starts from 7lac rather than 8lac.
Old 4th August 2015, 09:54   #476
Senior - BHPian

Just coming to office at Hinjewadi as usual in the morning. I was on Baner road & on the right side i saw Nexa Showroom in progress !!! It is almost ready and looks like some work is in progress. It was looking very neat & clean. 3 cars where at display in 3 different colors. Can't take photos as i need to attend the scrum in office. But they have captured the nice location. Its well in the city and in good locality. The location of the showrooms matter a lot in my opinion. Surely it will help in doing better sales. Will post more details later.
Old 4th August 2015, 09:57   #477
BHPian

We had gone to check out S-Cross which was showcased at Viviana mall.
Sharing the information about the features among the variants:

1.3L DDIS 200 Engine
SIGMA:
  • MID
  • Driver Airbag
  • 4 Door Speakers

SIGMA (O):
  • MID
  • ABS
  • Driver & Co-Driver Airbags
  • 4 Door Speakers

DELTA:
  • MID
  • Anti Theft Security System
  • ABS
  • Reverse Parking Sensor with Display
  • Audio (AUX-IN, USB, Bluetooth, CD) player with 4 Door Speakers
  • Steering Mounted Audio & Calling Controls

ZETA:
  • MID
  • ABS
  • Front Fog Lamps
  • Reverse Parking Sensor with Camera Display
  • Rear Demister with Wiper & Washer
  • Smartplay Infotainment System (AUX-IN, USB, Bluetooth, Navigation, Smartphone App) with 4 Door Speakers & 2 Tweeters

ALPHA:
  • MID
  • Leather Wrapped Steering Cover
  • ABS
  • HID Projector Headlamps
  • Auto Headlamps
  • Front Fog Lamps
  • Rain Sensing Wiper
  • Auto Dimming IRVM
  • Smartplay Infotainment System (AUX-IN, USB, Bluetooth, Navigation, Smartphone App) with 4 Door Speakers & 2 Tweeters

1.6L DDIS 320 Engine
DELTA:
  • ABS
  • Audio with CD player (AUX-IN, USB, Bluetooth)

ZETA:
  • ABS
  • Front Fog Lamps
  • Auto Dimming IRVM
  • Steering Mounted Audio & Calling Control

ALPHA:
  • Leather Wrapped Steering Cover
  • ABS
  • HID Projector Headlamps
  • Auto Headlamps
  • Front Fog Lamps
  • Rain Sensing Wiper
  • Auto Dimming IRVM

It seems the car will be launch along with the prices tomorrow.
The token amount of booking is Rs.11,000/-.
Nick_Wanderlust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 10:47   #478
BHPian

how on earth has Maruti managed to keep the price under wraps till date..even when the scheduled launch is tomorrow. Birdies...where art thou
Travelator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 11:45   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Just coming to office at Hinjewadi as usual in the morning. I was on Baner road & on the right side i saw Nexa Showroom in progress !!! It is almost ready and looks like some work is in progress. It was looking very neat & clean. 3 cars where at display in 3 different colors. Can't take photos as i need to attend the scrum in office. But they have captured the nice location. Its well in the city and in good locality. The location of the showrooms matter a lot in my opinion. Surely it will help in doing better sales. Will post more details later.
They have opened one more at Viman nagar at saphire plaza,new airport road .Will be visiting the showroom once the pricing is out.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 4th August 2015 at 11:47.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 12:07   #480
BHPian

With less than a day to go for the launch, here is how my thought process looks ...

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-car_decision.jpg

PS: no points for guessing where the inspiration for flow charting came from
pannags is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed