Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2016, 14:56   #4891
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

I thought S-Cross 1.6 has Bosch EDC16 C39 ECU. Fiat Bravo with same 1.6 multijet engine has this ECU. But now I have found out that S-Cross 1.6 has EDC17 C49 ECU. It is listed as bench flash in both CMD and Alientech websites.
Old 8th June 2016, 18:19   #4892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
4. And last but not least Abhinav...who just didn't allow me to pick 1.3 version. @ Abhinav, you better owe me the 4 lakhs buddy
Congratulations buddy! To any taker of the S-Cross I always advocate going for the 1.6 if they can afford to shell out the extra buck. I got my 1.3 Zeta back in September when the 1.6 variants were 3L+ on ex-showroom! I had expected the onroad price of the top 1.6 variant to be about 13L before launch and the 1.3 about 11.5L.

I used to have a hard time (still do) listening to respones like "Why didn't you get a Creta instead?", "1248cc is a very small engine to be paying 11L for!" and so on. Guess Maruti should have coincided the introduction of SHVS with the S-Cross instead and then upgraded the Ciaz and Ertiga.

Do let us know what are your immediate upgrade plans with your Cross. I am yet to get my S-Cross new seat covers, audio upgrade (speakers only) and/or exterior modifications (doubtful).
sunejarahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 09:53   #4893
BHPian

Noticed this in stock JK Elanzo after 12k Kms. Will this be covered in warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-imag0682.jpg  

Old 9th June 2016, 09:59   #4894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Remap/Tuning Box for 1.6 S-Cross

I am very happy with stock power. But I might plonk a tuning box or remap in few months. So I have decided to consider various options and contacted many.

I have few more months to decide. I have narrowed down to RD dual channel box vs TOT vs Wolf remap.
I'd strongly recommend TOT Just out of curiosity, will you be requesting a change in outright performance or focusing on better extracting more driveability from the 1.6? Would be interesting to read an experience of a more tractable version
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 10:02   #4895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @viral View Post
Noticed this in stock JK Elanzo after 12k Kms. Will this be covered in warranty?
Now this is the 2nd case in this group where jk tyres have failed.seems like i made a sensible choice for swapping them with Michelin's primacy 3st .as far as i know this should be covered under warranty.side wall damage is not covered but this will be covered i guess.
sahiltodankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 10:28   #4896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
I've read that S-Cross's underbelly is protected using a metal sheet, and you cannot see the ground. Yesterday when I opened the bonnet I could see a bit of the ground. Metal sheet needs to be removed only while changing the oil right? Mine has completed just 8k km and oil is yet to be changed for the first time.I think couldn't see the ground .
White area above the turbo heat shield is the ground

Is this normal? Mine is a 1.6 Alpha
After reading this, I checked in my 1.3 Zeta. I could not see any metal sheet and the ground is visible completely. I've taken the delivery just 5 days back.

Should I check with the dealer, if they have missed fitting the metal cover that projects the engine?

Can anyone who has 1.3 version, confirm if it comes with metal protection plate under the engine?
Old 9th June 2016, 10:59   #4897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Don't worry, it's perfectly alright for the engine to throw out black smoke under sudden rpm increase due to partially burnt fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes it is normal. Don't worry, just enjoy the car.
Is the puff is visible post 3000 RPM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
For better clarity- Is this puff coming as soon as you step on the throttle after running in lower rpms for some time? If yes, then it's normal and it's just the clearing of accumulated soot from the exhaust pipe due to the sudden rush of air through it.
Thank you all for your valuable inputs. Based on what you guys have mentioned, the puff of smoke seems to be an expected result. I do not see the smoke being emitted continuously. It is only when I accelerate suddenly, the car throws the smoke. So all in all, "Aaall is well".

BTW, the FE has improved to about 16-16.5 now in dense (read pathetic) city traffic.

It does make a me a bit disappointed that Maruti reduced the prices of 1.6 after I bought my 1.3. 1.6 S-Cross is arguably the best product in its segment. My first RM had promised to buy back my 1.3 at 10 lakhs and exchange for the 1.6 at new prices, but he lost his job unfortunately.

All said and done, 1.3 is not a bad product at all. It has got almost everything right, except the famous power surge. As my usage is 80% city, it is ok for me. So those who are confused between 1.3 and 1.6 and have similar usage pattern can go for 1.3 without much deliberation.
ajay_satpute is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 11:11   #4898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I'd strongly recommend TOT Just out of curiosity, will you be requesting a change in outright performance or focusing on better extracting more driveability from the 1.6? Would be interesting to read an experience of a more tractable version
I have not taken my 1.6 above 3000 RPM. So I have not experienced the top end power much. Usually stock cars have poor top end. But during my TD of 1.6, I felt top end is decent enough. Any remap will have prominent gain in mid range. Stock power is too good in mid range and remap would just make it BRUTAL. I wish for little more grunt at low end, but remap/tuning box won't be able to make much difference here. In gear acceleration and driveability is my priority during any remap .

TOT is th leading custom remap tuner, I believe. Their support is also too good and they have guys almost everywhere.

I am sending my single channel RD box(used in Grand i10) back to company and they will tweak it for 1.6 S-Cross. I have to buy a new connector. RD is also sending dual channel box for trial. If I am buying the box, it would be dual channel. Dad is planning to sell Grand i10. So I have decided to use the box in S-Cross till I remap/finalise on dual channel box.

A good remap is better any day. As I have mentioned before, I have concerns about warranty claims. TOT vs Wolf is also confusing me a lot because Wolf charge for remap (discounted) is almost half of TOT price.
Old 9th June 2016, 12:31   #4899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
There is no official confirmation by Maruti about 1.6 engine. Maruti has not imported a single engine in 2016. Around 4500 units were imported in 2015. I got my 1.6 last month. But engine is produced atleast 1 year before (confirmed this by looking at various tags on engine parts). Maruti has not yet started localisation of 1.6 engine. I have good rapport with service guys and got information that Maruti is going to discontinue 1.6 and that's the reason for not importing any new engines. There should be no problem even if 1.6 is discontinued. Maruti will provide the spares. Since you are planning to buy after few months, I too don't know if 1.6 would be available then.
This is a real bummer. I had my hopes pinned on the 1.6 for a recent purchase. Due to other priorities the purchase got pushed to festive season this year.
First the Nexa folks confirmed discontinuation of delta and zeta 1.6, and now this. Love this car. I wonder which car will I have to choose when I am ready to buy.
Old 9th June 2016, 13:40   #4900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @viral View Post
This is on my 1.6, have done 7000 kilometres on the JKs. I don't think a warranty claim would be 'easy'.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this definitely is a manufacturing defect right? Why does it occur?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-dsc_0131.jpg  

Old 9th June 2016, 14:28   #4901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post
Now this is the 2nd case in this group where jk tyres have failed.seems like i made a sensible choice for swapping them with Michelin's primacy 3st .as far as i know this should be covered under warranty.side wall damage is not covered but this will be covered i guess.
I hope Maruti address this issue. This is the 2nd or 3rd instance that we are seeing on this forum itself. They should replace the JK Elanzo tyre and put a much better tyre. Customers should not be taken for granted. I don't think it's safe at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunthead View Post
This is a real bummer. I had my hopes pinned on the 1.6 for a recent purchase. Due to other priorities the purchase got pushed to festive season this year.
First the Nexa folks confirmed discontinuation of delta and zeta 1.6, and now this. Love this car. I wonder which car will I have to choose when I am ready to buy.
Well, if this is the case then it's going to result in more sales for Creta 1.6.

Last edited by searacer932 : 9th June 2016 at 14:29.
Old 9th June 2016, 15:25   #4902
Senior - BHPian

For all those who are complaining about the quality of stock JK Elanzo tyres - there is a thread for that!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...g-quality.html
Old 9th June 2016, 18:57   #4903
BHPian

Greetings ! Fellow BHP’ians. This is my first post on the forum and I’m pretty pleased to share my thoughts with all of you regarding my first independent purchase - the S-Cross 1.6 Delta.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160124_180011.jpg

I purchased it back in January this year under the discount scheme offered by Maruti (for 2015 models only). It cost almost 10.6 Lac OTR here in Chandigarh and I’ve driven 6000 kms till date. Before I further discuss my ownership in detail, I’ll just share with you some brief Pros & Cons of this car I’ve noted till date.

Pros:
- The Highlight - Gem of a Diesel Engine: Fiat’s 1.6 litre engine delivers superior power & torque resulting in an impressive power/torque to weight ratio. I personally feel this engine is more fun to drive than the Hyundai’s 1.6 litre engine (found in the Creta & Verna)
- Good Stability & Dynamics: Being a cross-over it handles well at both high & low speeds. Furthermore, It has all 4 disc brakes. ABS & 2 Air-bags are offered as standard
- Firm Suspension: A harder suspension absorbs the undulation of rough roads pretty well.
- Decent Exterior & Interior design: Grows on you with time.
- Healthy fuel efficiency: I’am getting an average of 17 Kmpl with 80% City Driving.
- ICE system on the Delta model is satisfactory. Sound quality is much better than what is offered in the Baleno.
- Comfortable Seats with nice legroom, adequate Boot Space & Good General Visibility.

Cons:
IMHO, most of these account for Cost Cutting retorts by Maruti.

- Terrible Sound Insulation: It is something which you do not expect from a premium segment car. I’m not embarrassed, but surprised to find that I could not feel this during my test drives. Major Sound Source – Tyre Noise, Neighboring traffic & the Air-Con compressor. Some friends have advised for an immediate tyre change – from the notorious JK Elanzos to Michelin. Second thing, to install the Parcel Tray. I hope both these steps would reduce the road noise. In Contrast, Maruti has managed to keep engine sound quite minimal on the inside.
- Improper installation of Interior Plastic Parts: Although the finish on the interior is better off than the Baleno, there are some itsy-bitsy plastics which are already having a play in them. Most affected part is the Arm-Rest. Many other parts also generate an irking sound while driving even through minor bumps like the seat-belt Buckle, Plastic Beading around the ICE console & Side Window mirrors.
- Low intensity of Headlight Bulbs: It is really something you don’t expect in a high segment car. Would definitely have to change them soon.
- Hard Suspension: It sometimes goes against you and jerks everything on the inside while going over deeper potholes or obtrusive bumps.
smitz4u is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 21:08   #4904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitz4u View Post
Greetings ! Fellow BHP’ians. This is my first post on the forum and I’m pretty pleased to share my thoughts with all of you regarding my first independent purchase - the S-Cross 1.6 Delta.
Welcome aboard!!

Quote:
Cons:
IMHO, most of these account for Cost Cutting retorts by Maruti.

- Terrible Sound Insulation: It is something which you do not expect from a premium segment car. I’m not embarrassed, but surprised to find that I could not feel this during my test drives. Major Sound Source – Tyre Noise, Neighboring traffic & the Air-Con compressor. Some friends have advised for an immediate tyre change – from the notorious JK Elanzos to Michelin. Second thing, to install the Parcel Tray. I hope both these steps would reduce the road noise. In Contrast, Maruti has managed to keep engine sound quite minimal on the inside.
So this is what I did. I put a layer of Dynamat inside the front doors. Also coated the underbody and most importantly upgraded to Michelins.

Quote:
- Low intensity of Headlight Bulbs: It is really something you don’t expect in a high segment car. Would definitely have to change them soon.
Yup. My next change. But mine is an Alpha. Check out the review from Mi10. He has done done an awesome upgrade.

Quote:
- Hard Suspension: It sometimes goes against you and jerks everything on the inside while going over deeper potholes or obtrusive bumps.
Again, change in tyres to a softer compound should improve your ride.
shivasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 22:50   #4905
Sip
BHPian

A new TVC on S-Cross is available on NEXA website. Curiously mention of DDiS 320 conspicuously left out though 6 gear knob is visible.

Has it been prompted by May 16 sale figures of S-cross?

Last edited by Sip : 9th June 2016 at 22:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks