Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2016, 11:14   #5026
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Is this based on the old M16 unit with a shorter stroke? AFAIK the M series engines are older than the K series ones. Not complaining anyway since I love the grunt from the older Suzuki motors Out of cruiosity, how much of a tax benefit would cars like the S-Cross and Ciaz get by using a 1.5 instead of a 1.6L motor?
S-Cross with more than 4m length, ground clearance more than 170mm and petrol engine of capacity above 1500cc will fall in SUV category. For this excise duty will be 30%.
But with this M15 engine, Maruti will have to pay 24% excise duty.
RoadSurfer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 12:03   #5027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
S-Cross with more than 4m length, ground clearance more than 170mm and petrol engine of capacity above 1500cc will fall in SUV category. For this excise duty will be 30%.
Won't the S Cross still come under SUV category being more than 4m in length and having more than 170mm GC? What am I missing here?
Old 21st June 2016, 12:58   #5028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrin View Post
Won't the S Cross still come under SUV category being more than 4m in length and having more than 170mm GC? What am I missing here?
Aren't you guys saying the same thing?

Bottom line is that S-Cross will always fall in the SUV category. Cheers !
Old 21st June 2016, 13:58   #5029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Aren't you guys saying the same thing?

Bottom line is that S-Cross will always fall in the SUV category. Cheers !
For a vehicle to be considered a SUV (don't know who defined this), all the 3 conditions should be met
1. Length more than 4m
2. Engine capacity above 1500cc
3. Ground clearance more than 170mm
So, as of now S-Cross 1.6 falls in the 30% excise duty category but not S-Cross 1.3. Similarly S-Cross with M15 engine will not be under 30% bracket but 24%.
RoadSurfer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 15:39   #5030
BHPian

To all the S Cross owners,
I have been driving the DDIS 200 Zeta Caffeine brown for a month now, gem of an engine and a lovely experience so far, everything seems to be working as required till now but and have been facing a unique issue: I am 5' 8, and I like to sit close to the steering and high so that the bonnet is a bit visible now due to the excellent flexibility in the seat height adjuster and height and reach adjusting steering I have been able to find a sweet driving position, however the IRVM then comes in to my driving vision when looking left-center for on coming traffic. It sort of becomes a bit irritating to swing the neck right and left to check for traffic
Now, I used to drive the Indica vista before this and never faced such an issue as the IRVM is position quite high due to the large front windscreen.
Is there a way the IRVM position can be changed?
What about Alpha owners? is the position of the IRVM on the front windscreen or from the car ceiling?
will changing the IRVM to the auto dimming one solve this issue of positioning?

Last edited by schitre05 : 21st June 2016 at 15:59.
Old 21st June 2016, 20:47   #5031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Is there a way the IRVM position can be changed?
What about Alpha owners? is the position of the IRVM on the front windscreen or from the car ceiling?
will changing the IRVM to the auto dimming one solve this issue of positioning?
It will be difficult to change the mounting position of IRVM.
In all the variants, the IRVM is from the top position of front windscreen.

Do not understand how the change to auto dimming will address the positioning issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

I also drove on cruise control for close to 20 kms this time. When on cruise control, the FE keeps going up as if it is displaying the RPM.
Every time I tried cruise control, I got FE a tad less than what I used to get in manual mode. May be I use coasting in manual mode and which helps in improving the FE as against the cruise control in which coasting is not possible.

Last edited by Sree73 : 21st June 2016 at 21:03.
Old 21st June 2016, 22:13   #5032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I seem to have the heavy clunking sound as well. It has happened twice when the vehicle was at a turn. both the times it scared the living daylights out of me. I stopped the car and then looked around for fallen trees on my car. There is nothing noticeable in the ride and handling when this happens. No sudden twitching or anything like that.

Edit: Can you please help us to locate the issue in the picture on the old tube? What was the reason for the clunking sound?
Yes, as such there is no affect to the ride and handling because of these clunks.They only generate while turning on a ramp or some sloping surface. Imagine it in a way wherein both the ends of the Axle Tube are not at the same distance from ground. This would obviously occur while maneuvering on a surface having some gradient.

There is no specific location I would be able to identify, but certainly it is heard from either of the tube's ends. Reason for such a sound as per MSIL is due to defective welding at the joints in the Axle Tube (it weighs around 25-30 Kilos). So probably friction in these faulty joints creates a clunking sound.

One of the mechanics at the service center mentioned similar problems faced by customers of Swift Dzire (2009-10 models) wherein MSIL had ended up modifying the design of the axle tube.
smitz4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 22:22   #5033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
I am 5' 8, and I like to sit close to the steering and high so that the bonnet is a bit visible now due to the excellent flexibility in the seat height adjuster and height and reach adjusting steering I have been able to find a sweet driving position, however the IRVM then comes in to my driving vision when looking left-center for on coming traffic.
Simply put, you are sitting wrong. Autodimming IRVMs are also mounted on the top of the windscreen since their light sensor needs to sit there. Why do you have to be able to see the bonnet may I ask? The S-Cross' bonnet tapers downward so while you may see a part of it, it's not like you can see the end of the bonnet, what use is that? This reminds me of the driving position I switch to when maneuvering my Kizashi through ditches off-road in narrow paths in poor light absolutely not recommended for normal driving. If you are not confident driving in any other way, perhaps you need to look into taking an intermediate driver improvement course.
Old 21st June 2016, 23:14   #5034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
My old ritz had an upgraded wiring kit with 100/130s on left and 100/90s on right. It was just brilliant. The current ones in the s-cross does not even come close. The ritz had a brilliant reflector design that gives a very good throw. I am not sure what the scenario is in the s-cross. I would be upgrading soon, with rains and on roads without street lights (read NH47 currently) the road is literally a light sponge and you cannot see anything at all with the stock s-cross head lamps.
Why do we need such powerful bulbs? Is it legal? We have threads where we talk about these things as not proper and yet we are looking out for more powerful bulbs.
Old 22nd June 2016, 00:14   #5035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHarPree View Post
Why do we need such powerful bulbs? Is it legal? We have threads where we talk about these things as not proper and yet we are looking out for more powerful bulbs.

Believe it or not, I did not know I had 100/130s on the left until a friend pointed it out. (But I am not complaining) . I do most of my driving post 1 am and in the kind of roads that I drive on, I am putting myself at risk with low wattage bulbs. The 100/90s on low had a clear beam cut pattern that in no way shines right into the eye of the on coming traffic. The high beam is used as a flasher to force oncoming traffic to use low beam. I am even careful on left and right hand curves.

These lights and upgrade kits are available in the market and easy to obtain. There has not been a crack down on these from the cops and they save my life and my car on these dark roads. I feel it is better than auxiliary driving lamps.
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:03   #5036
BHPian

Can fellow bhpians who bought the S Cross 1.6 in this year advise the car's year of manufacture please? With the rumour in the air around Maruti trying to exhaust the current stock of 1.6 and then discontinue it, what will be the year of manufacture if someone books the 1.6 now?
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:05   #5037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvelprakash View Post
what will be the year of manufacture if someone books the 1.6 now?
DDiS320 is manufactured based on an order. Year of manufacture if booked now will be 2016

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd June 2016 at 09:08.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:26   #5038
BHPian

Facing a peculiar problem in my 1.6 delta. The alarm triggers on its own some times. Has any one else faced similar issues
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:30   #5039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish.thomas View Post
Facing a peculiar problem in my 1.6 delta. The alarm triggers on its own some times. Has any one else faced similar issues
You need to set the sensitivity of the alarm as it is prone to trigger based on this.
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:29   #5040

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish.thomas View Post
I've had that twice.
But both times I was sitting on a couch with the key in my back pocket - could be an accidental two button press.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks