Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2016, 10:30   #5071
BHPian

Any comments. Tyre damage. Possible reasons? Tyre quality issue or any tyre can have this.
Old 25th June 2016, 12:07   #5072
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by @viral View Post
Any comments. Tyre damage. Possible reasons? Tyre quality issue or any tyre can have this.
You are talking about which incident? No reference points in your post.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 14:14   #5073
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Thought the pic was attached but it did not. Somehow it does not allow me to upload pics from phone for some reason. Here is the pic and the same question.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-tyre.jpg  

Last edited by @viral : 25th June 2016 at 14:15. Reason: Wrong quote
Old 25th June 2016, 16:29   #5074

Happy to share that my S-cross 1.6 Alpha, Pearl Arctic White, has finally arrived. Did a thorough PDI at the Dealer's workshop. Yes, it comes with gun metal finish alloys but with the same JK Elanzo NXT shoes.

As I stood discussing the tyres with the technicians, I was approached by a service engineer from JK Tyres who had overheard the conversation. He had come to the workshop to attend to a warranty claim. When I explained to him that I would like to change the tyres immediately after delivery (for all the reasons mentioned in this review), he called up his RSM and asked me to narrate my feedback to him. After doing so, the RSM told me that he would exchange these tyres with JK Royale UX AT of the same profile, which as per him, will bring down the noise levels while enhancing the road grip. To sweeten the deal, he mentioned that the exchange would be on FOC basis.

I am spoilt for choice here, whether to go for the offer (which will not cost a dime) or to stick to the usual route of exchanging the JK Elanzo NXT with Michelin Primacy 3ST (which will cost a limb and an eye). Anyone having any idea about the JK Royale UX AT may please advise.

The car will go for registration in a couple of days so I have time to take a decision.

Thanks in advance.
Parryontheprowl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 17:56   #5075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parryontheprowl View Post
Happy to share that my S-cross 1.6 Alpha, Pearl Arctic White, has finally arrived. Did a thorough PDI at the Dealer's workshop. Yes, it comes with gun metal finish alloys but with the same JK Elanzo NXT shoes.

As I stood discussing the tyres with the technicians, I was approached by a service engineer from JK Tyres who had overheard the conversation. He had come to the workshop to attend to a warranty claim. When I explained to him that I would like to change the tyres immediately after delivery (for all the reasons mentioned in this review), he called up his RSM and asked me to narrate my feedback to him. After doing so, the RSM told me that he would exchange these tyres with JK Royale UX AT of the same profile, which as per him, will bring down the noise levels while enhancing the road grip. To sweeten the deal, he mentioned that the exchange would be on FOC basis.

I am spoilt for choice here, whether to go for the offer (which will not cost a dime) or to stick to the usual route of exchanging the JK Elanzo NXT with Michelin Primacy 3ST (which will cost a limb and an eye). Anyone having any idea about the JK Royale UX AT may please advise.

The car will go for registration in a couple of days so I have time to take a decision.

Thanks in advance.
Congrats buddy and I too own 1.6 S-Cross in same color .

If JK Royale is better quality and priced higher, go for it. Anyways it's done free of cost for you and in case if you still want to upgrade, you will get a slightly higher buyback price.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 20:58   #5076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Congrats buddy and I too own 1.6 S-Cross in same color .

If JK Royale is better quality and priced higher, go for it. Anyways it's done free of cost for you and in case if you still want to upgrade, you will get a slightly higher buyback price.
Thank you Dr. Naren. I have been following your ownership review thread quite closely and it has helped me take this decision. The JK Tyre RSM has promised to call me tomorrow to confirm whether I wish to avail the offer or not. I feel there is no harm in agreeing to it.

Although we live in diagonally opposite ends of the sub-continent, it is the ownership of this beautiful beast that will unite us in camaraderie. I shall look forward to sharing my own experience with the car with the wonderful people in this forum.

Warm regards.
Old 25th June 2016, 22:13   #5077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That clearly looks like a quality issue. I haven't seen a tread scooped out like that. So, there might be a reason why MSIL has chosen the Alnac now. Get rid of them ASAP.

Quote:
I don't have experience with JK Royale but wouldn't recommend it as JK makes really crappy tyres. And especially for a powerful car like the S Cross 1.6.

I can put up with those stock alloys on the S Cross but really wouldn't like that brand of tyres to be on the car for a day even. And new tyres have better resale which helps the eventual purchase.Tyres are really important, and not just for safety. It really affect the way a car drives or rides.

Go ahead with the Primacy 3 ST! They are worth the premium commanded in the market. Just got a new set for the Fiesta a few days back and I really like it.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 23:58   #5078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....T of the same profile, which as per him, will bring down the noise levels while enhancing the road grip. To sweeten the deal, he mentioned that the exchange would be on FOC basis...
I suggest to take the upgrade. All tyre shops are OK to give the same price to the owners if the vehicle / tyres has done less than 100 kms (they religiously check the ODO to confirm this).

If you don't feel the tyres are good in 100 kms, you can get it exchanged. That way, you could test the tyres and provide the rest of us (and JK company) an initial feedback on the tyres and also benefit from a better exchange price. Just ensure you keep the RSM posted about this.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th June 2016 at 17:19. Reason: As requested
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 01:57   #5079
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Hi Parryontheprowl, congratulations for your new 1.6 Alpha. My Pearl White 1.6 Alpha would be happy to have a twin friend in Kolkata.

I have driven 5.5k kms on my Michelin Primacy 3ST in Kolkata and NH2 in the last 6 months and I am super happy with them. I had the JK Elanzo NXT for the 1st 2 days and definitely felt the difference the day I switched to Primacy 3ST.

S-Cross 1.6 definitely has a stiffer suspension when you compare it to other passenger segment cars and since my friend also owns a 1.3 Arctic White Alpha, back to back on the same road, my 1.6 feels tad stiffer. Both the 1.3 and 1.6 have Primacy 3ST hence we are testing them under identical scenarios.

I have to generally keep my pressure at 31 PSI Nitrogen and feel that the ride has improved a lot.

The biggest difference I feel with the Primacy 3ST is in the braking and tyre noise department. It feels super glued to the tarmac and braking is also very confident inspiring. I rarely get a wheelspin even when I am shooting out at a traffic signal when it turns green.

I could find this Youtube video review about JK UX ROYALE by someone at Changemytyre.com but its pretty informative.

I would suggest that you change them to JK UX ROYALE as it comes at no extra cost and check it out even before you go for an exchange. Anyway the UX ROYALE should get you better buyback than the JK Elanzo NXT.

Look forward to seeing your S-Cross in flesh

Cheers
Ranendra
Ranendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 08:51   #5080
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Thought the pic was attached but it did not. Somehow it does not allow me to upload pics from phone for some reason. Here is the pic and the same question.
It's called the chipping / flaking / chunking of tread. It's definitely a defect and cannot be attributed to manufacturing defect always. This is more prone in hard compound tyres (JK Elanzo is one).

Some possible causes for chipping is below. Please see whether you subjected the tyres to any of them.

1. Operating on very bad roads especially on loose gravel roads
2. High torque starts. (Starting from stand still with a heavy foot on accelerator)
3. Over inflation of tyres - This is more prominent in drive tyres. (ie here the front tyres).

Anyway, you can take up this with the service. Tyre is OK to continue without much of trouble. Press for a replacement. But be realised that getting a replacement for such kind of chipping is very difficult. Even if you do not get the replacement, do not worry. This will run with out much trouble.

Last edited by Sree73 : 26th June 2016 at 09:08.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 09:07   #5081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
3. Over inflation of tyres - This is more prominent in drive tyres. (ie here the front tyres).
Recommended tyre pressure is 31 psi and that changes when we have 4 passengers+baggage.
I would like to know whether I have to increase and decrease the pressure every time according to the load or is there any particular tyre pressure at which I can maintain.

I am using nitrogen and I don't have petrol bunks or shops with nitrogen nearby to check regularly. How often should I check?

I have to take care of the tyres (JK Elanza). I didn't opt for the tyre swap because of Vitamin M deficiency.

Last edited by BenHarPree : 26th June 2016 at 09:12.
Old 26th June 2016, 10:47   #5082
BHPian

Need some advice about tyre pressures.i know recommended value is 33psi with only front passenger's.i have swapped my tyres and alloys.new alloys have rim width of 7 where stock alloys comes with 6.5 if i am not wrong. Michelin's primacy 3st's are of stock size.i guess recommended tyre pressure wil change accordingly?i mean 0.5 increase in rim diameter will change recommended psi? Right now i keep it around 35-36 as i feel more comfortable over that value. Correct me if i am wrong.
Old 26th June 2016, 17:14   #5083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHarPree View Post
Recommended tyre pressure is 31 psi and that changes when we have 4 passengers+baggage.
I would like to know whether I have to increase and decrease the pressure every time according to the load or is there any particular tyre pressure at which I can maintain.

I am using nitrogen and I don't have petrol bunks or shops with nitrogen nearby to check regularly. How often should I check?.
Recommended tyre pressure is 33 psi. Not 31. I always keep 2 psi more at 35. It takes care of single passenger or more.. That works perfectly fine with me.

Regarding nitrogen, there is not much improvement in our scenario as no way we will be able to know the purity of nitrogen getting filled. Anyways atmospheric air contains 78%Nitrogen and with these outlets it may get to a value of early 90s..

If we are filling high quality nitrogen, pressure check can be once in 2 months.. I get the pressure checked at every fuelling. I always do tankful and it means pressure check after a run of ~750 KMs.. The pressure drop I usually see is around 2 psi..

Last edited by Sree73 : 26th June 2016 at 17:41.
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 20:19   #5084

Hey Guys,
I am in the market for a new car and have actually booked a Ciaz ZDI. The delivery is taking bit of time due to the Maruti plant shutdown and is due by 10th July.
In the meantime took test drives of S-Cross 1.6 and was blown away by the engine power, interiors and driving dynamics of the car. Budget will restrict the option of looking at Delta variant at best. Have also looked at Creta 1.4 and the looks are definitely more futuristic to say the least. I may cancel the Ciaz and go for one of these cars. Mind says Creta, heart says S-Cross 1.6, really confused

Did any of the owners here face such a situation and what helped you decide in favor of the S Cross
Old 26th June 2016, 21:19   #5085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneLane View Post
Hey Guys,
I am in the market for a new car and have actually booked a Ciaz ZDI. The delivery is taking bit of time due to the Maruti plant shutdown and is due by 10th July.
In the meantime took test drives of S-Cross 1.6 and was blown away by the engine power, interiors and driving dynamics of the car. Budget will restrict the option of looking at Delta variant at best. Have also looked at Creta 1.4 and the looks are definitely more futuristic to say the least. I may cancel the Ciaz and go for one of these cars. Mind says Creta, heart says S-Cross 1.6, really confused

Did any of the owners here face such a situation and what helped you decide in favor of the S Cross
Firstly, check if the S-Cross 1.6 is available in the Delta trim. Secondly, if it is available, it should be a model that the dealer has in stock and can speeden up delivery / give discount as the trim has been discontinued.

Between the Ciaz and the S-Cross, we picked the S-Cross as it was better to drive, better built and could handle what the roads throw at it. Lastly, the headroom was just about perfect for 6 footers unlike the Ciaz.
We lost out on luggage space and rear seat legroom, but it was an acceptable compromise for us as we have other cars for highways, and the leg space was perfect for our family sitting in it together.

Regarding the Creta - it is a jack-of-all, master of none (except the 1.4 will be lacking in power compared to the 1.6 S-Cross). However, my only grouse was that the car didn't feel special - the soul was missing in a way. Appealed to the head, not the heart; and to be honest, if the S-Cross didn't come into the picture (and meet the minimum qualifications on some criteria - luggage space and city ride quality, while shining on other criteria - highway ride, performance, features, etc.) it would have been the Creta in the garage.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks