Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2016, 07:35   #5131
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
How is the car running now? have the noises disappeared. I've been experiencing similar noises on ramps/ steeps, particularly during reversing. Pl share your experience and advise.
I had been to Bimal Mahadevpura yesterday for my Left ORVM replacement. Met Abhijeet who is a hardcore TBHP follower and an aspiring member. He has a 1.3 Alpha and we were discussing about the car and it's performance.

He had this similar sound and got replaced the axle tube. But even after the replacement, the sound was repeating. Later on it was diagnosed that the replaced one was also from the same batch of production as that was on the car. Got it replaced again from a later batch and the sound disappeared completely. Seems the fault was with a particular batch of production.
Sree73 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2016, 16:09   #5132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops678 View Post
Wanted to know some expert advice on if this is a good choice.
anyday the S-Cross is a better buy. If you prefer the Brezza, it can never be for a logical reason. The S-Cross is simply in a different league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Simple guess is that car might be AWD and time was noted from speedo and not GPS(less accurate).
AWD system used in the Suzuki is one of those on demand based ones where it is predominantly front wheel drive until slip is detected. The added weight may in-fact hamper the 0-100time of the car, that said if the traction levels of the stock car were so poor that one is not able to extract full torque from the motor and has to feather the throttle more than is necessary, AWD may have helped. Another reason could also be better tyres on the Euro-spec car. I am sure it won't come with crappy JKs.
Old 4th July 2016, 00:29   #5133

Yeah I too found the 1.6 really peppy and responsive. But at this stage I am not able to justify the price premium of 2L. That too I dont do too many outstation trips and in the city it's not of much use.

So from what I have been reading the 1.3 is a good buy. I hope the same is true.
Old 4th July 2016, 22:57   #5134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
How is the car running now? have the noises disappeared. I've been experiencing similar noises on ramps/ steeps, particularly during reversing. Pl share your experience and advise.
I've driven around 500 kms post replacement. Clunking sound has disappeared indeed.
Since a few of us are now reporting the same issue, it could be due to a faulty batch of Axle Tubes manufactured in 2015.
A stamp on my new axle tube does show month of manufacture as May 2016.
So if you are facing the same problem, IMHO it is completely worth to get it replaced under warranty.
Old 5th July 2016, 00:36   #5135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops678 View Post
Yeah I too found the 1.6 really peppy and responsive. But at this stage I am not able to justify the price premium of 2L. That too I dont do too many outstation trips and in the city it's not of much use.

So from what I have been reading the 1.3 is a good buy. I hope the same is true.
1.3 is a good buy but 1.6 is a better buy . 1.3 has decent performance and easy to drive in city compared to 1.6. 1.6 is torque king and even my remapped 1.3 SX4 wouldn't catch up with it on highways.
Old 5th July 2016, 02:03   #5136
BHPian

Looks like Suzuki has introduced a 6-speed dual clutch automatic with the S-Cross 1.6 diesel in the UK. Even a review is out. However the autobox is being offered only on the top end trim with the AWD system.

Here is a review I found:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/suzuki/...tomatic-review

Another one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/suzu...-cross-review/

I wonder whether Maruti would consider the automatic for the Indian S-Cross. Yes, I am sure it would be more expensive, considering it would have to be imported as well, alongside the already imported 1.6 diesel engine and 6-speed manual gearbox.

The 1.5L M15 petrol engine that is speculated for the S-Cross, seems dull. It seems to have been the 1.5L petrol engine used in the international previous gen Swift (2005), which produced 100 bhp and 133 Nm torque then. These figures just don't cut it in this age and times. Even Suzuki's own K14B 1.4L petrol engine in the Ciaz and Ertiga produce a healthy 100 bhp and 130 Nm of torque, with 100cc less.

Hope MSIL gets a good petrol engine and an automatic option for the S-Cross. I recently test drove the 1.6 diesel, and ... my god what a powerhouse it is. Seriously, a torque monster.

However, my family has never owned a diesel car till date. I've hated diesels for their noise, vibrations and smoke. But this 1.6 diesel was really something. At speeds above 30-40 kmph in 2nd and 3rd gears, I was literally pinned back into my seat as the car just rocketed forward ferociously. Amazing and too addictive for enthusiasts! The car rode and handled admirably too. Nothing I've experienced in any MSIL product thus far.

Last edited by VSG12777 : 5th July 2016 at 02:04.
VSG12777 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 06:27   #5137
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Hope MSIL gets a good petrol engine and an automatic option for the S-Cross. I recently test drove the 1.6 diesel, and ... my god what a powerhouse it is. Seriously, a torque monster.

However, my family has never owned a diesel car till date. I've hated diesels for their noise, vibrations and smoke. But this 1.6 diesel was really something. At speeds above 30-40 kmph in 2nd and 3rd gears, I was literally pinned back into my seat as the car just rocketed forward ferociously. Amazing and too addictive for enthusiasts! The car rode and handled admirably too. Nothing I've experienced in any MSIL product thus far.
Ha ha! Thats a good one. Indeed this Diesel is a Torque Monster. If you've not driven a Yeti, you should try it sometime.
I found the 1.6 S Cross to behave almost exactly the same as my Yeti does, under acceleration. The clutch however is much lighter and smoother since it is a 2WD as opposed to my Yeti which is an AWD.

But pretty much the same figures of BHP and Torque - 1.6 S Cross gives 130 BHP I think and 320Nm Torque and the Yeti puts out 140 BHP and 320 Nm of Torque.

The S Cross being lighter, makes you feel it a bit more than perhaps, the Yeti does.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 08:20   #5138
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
But pretty much the same figures of BHP and Torque - 1.6 S Cross gives 130 BHP I think and 320Nm Torque and the Yeti puts out 140 BHP and 320 Nm of Torque.

The S Cross being lighter, makes you feel it a bit more than perhaps, the Yeti does.
Precisely S-Cross has maximum 118 BHP with 320 NM. IMHO, Yeti seems better at 140 BHP and 320 NM.

I understand how torque can help in performance but can anyone make me appreciate the role of BHP in performance of vehicle
Old 5th July 2016, 14:05   #5139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
I understand how torque can help in performance but can anyone make me appreciate the role of BHP in performance of vehicle
"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." -Enzo Ferrari

Kindly go through this thread buddy. Everything is explained properly.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...top-speed.html
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 16:02   #5140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ha ha! Thats a good one. Indeed this Diesel is a Torque Monster. If you've not driven a Yeti, you should try it sometime.
I found the 1.6 S Cross to behave almost exactly the same as my Yeti does, under acceleration. The clutch however is much lighter and smoother since it is a 2WD as opposed to my Yeti which is an AWD.

Thanks Shankar! Yeah, I've not driven a Yeti till date but have heard lots of good things about the car. Yes, the S-Cross handled really well and ride quality was excellent. In a short stretch, by mashing down the gas pedal, my friend and I easily touched 125 kmph in 3rd gear. It seriously set our pulse racing! I agree 100% with the fact that the S-Cross does handle more like a European car than an Indian one, or a Maruti per se. Excellent effort by MSIL in tuning this car for India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Precisely S-Cross has maximum 118 BHP with 320 NM. IMHO, Yeti seems better at 140 BHP and 320 NM.
Hey Sip, yeah you got the figures right for the S-Cross and Yeti. The torque is the same at 320 Nm for both, however, keep in mind that the S-Cross has only a 1.6L diesel producing that 320 Nm torque, whereas the Yeti has the tried and tested 2.0L TDI from the VAG group. So, with 400cc less, 320 Nm torque is indeed a fantastic achievement by Fiat.

Now, if only MSIL could start localising this 1.6L diesel and bring the costs down! This may easily save another 1 or 2 lacs on the S-Cross's price. The 1.6 diesel Alpha on road in Chennai at 13 Lacs would make it a steal. No brainer rather! Today it is about 15.2 Lacs on road here in Chennai with some minimal discounts being offered.

13 Lacs on road for the 1.6 Alpha manual, and about 14.5 Lacs on road for the 1.6 Alpha with Dual Clutch automatic! Ah how I wish!

Last edited by VSG12777 : 5th July 2016 at 16:05.
VSG12777 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 18:28   #5141
BHPian

Hi all,

Today just few km before my home (after an hour+ on road in Bangalore), my s-cross started showing the error "Water in Fuel system". I did not stop and continued till home, switched off the engine, switched on again. But the error do not go off. Is this serious that I need to see the service centre at the earliest? I am planning to go for my second service sometime next week as I have just covered 4.4k as of today.

If it helps, the fuel in the car is close to trigger the low fuel warning.

girish
Old 5th July 2016, 18:50   #5142
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
13 Lacs on road for the 1.6 Alpha manual, and about 14.5 Lacs on road for the 1.6 Alpha with Dual Clutch automatic! Ah how I wish!
The figure quoted is correct. And yes it is a good achievement for a 1.6 to make those power numbers.
The lighter clutch and 2WD also make a difference.

On another note somewhere in 2003 when that lovely Forester was launched at 13 lacs approx on road, it was considered an horrendously frightfully expensive car which only the super-elite could afford.

The relative accessibility for many more people to cars at the Rs 13 lacs price tag nowadays is commonplace...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 18:52   #5143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Hi all,

Today just few km before my home (after an hour+ on road in Bangalore), my s-cross started showing the error "Water in Fuel system". I did not stop and continued till home, switched off the engine, switched on again. But the error do not go off. Is this serious that I need to see the service centre at the earliest? I am planning to go for my second service sometime next week as I have just covered 4.4k as of today.

If it helps, the fuel in the car is close to trigger the low fuel warning.

girish

Girish,
Fuel filter has to be cleaned or replaced if required.
It is advisable to goto a service center asap.

Name:  Fuel filter.png
Views: 5375
Size:  23.8 KB

Last edited by kpzen : 5th July 2016 at 18:53.
kpzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 19:21   #5144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Girish,
Fuel filter has to be cleaned or replaced if required.
It is advisable to goto a service center asap.

Attachment 1524680
Thanks KP, will the filter be covered under warranty if need to be replaced?
Spoke to the RM@Kalyani and fixed appointment for tomorrow. Lucky this happened today as tomorrow is holiday for me.

Last edited by girishv : 5th July 2016 at 19:23.
Old 5th July 2016, 19:57   #5145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Thanks KP, will the filter be covered under warranty if need to be replaced?
Spoke to the RM@Kalyani and fixed appointment for tomorrow. Lucky this happened today as tomorrow is holiday for me.
Girish
Most likely they will drain the water from fuel filter and your problem would get resolved. This problem happens due to bad fuel so check the fuel station from where you are filling diesel from. Better to find another good pump.
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks