Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2016, 12:49   #5401
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

The "Made in India" Suzuki S-Cross is showcased at the ongoing GIIAS Auto Show in Indonesia.

Unlike India, the Indonesian-spec S-Cross is equipped with a 1.5L 4-cylinder petrol engine which produces 109PS of power and 138 Nm of torque, mated to 5-speed manual and 6-speed automatic gearboxes.

For India, MSIL has already announced that the S-Cross in it's petrol avatar will be launched soon. It remains to be seen which engine option the S-Cross will come with.

RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 13:35   #5402
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
They cost Rs. 600/piece which is good enough pricing considering you don't have to alter stock configuration. I know higher wattage bulbs technically give you more lighting, but on the flip side they will generate a lot more heat. The electrical system is not designed to sustain high capacity lighting, neither the reflector which might become dark upon usage. Also the lifespan of these bulbs are very poor and there is always a possibility of the fuse going kaput. To me if you are not okay with the small improvements, projector setup is the way to go. I know some of our members have upgraded to projectors, but I would like to see their reliability before taking the plunge.
Agree with you on the pricing or the technical details .As far as electrical system goes , a seperate wiring is used for higher power bulbs . Relay wiring kit costs about Rs.1000 and even if one does not upgrade to a higher wattage kit a relay kit is useful in some of the lower priced cars as they do not use relays and the head lights are directly connected to the switches .
While there is a lot of heat generated by a higher wattage bulb , I have never noticed any darkening of the reflector in over 15 years of usage on different cars .

Ideally , 60 W bulbs are more than enough for normal road conditions . One is forced to upgrade the bulbs because on the highways there are a lot of buses , trucks and cars with insane lightning . 20 years back one would be fined if they did not have a black spot painted or a black sticker on the head lights . Today I never see any .
When the light is too intense from the opposite side of the road and it is blinding , without a higher wattage bulb it is next to impossible to see the road . The first thing I check when I have a highway drive is to check the headlights , aux lights , brake lights .
greatmana2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 19:17   #5403
BHPian

After an evening shower of my S-Cross. I think the rear 3/4 angle is the best view for this model.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-psx_20160813_183338.jpg  

Sree73 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 08:01   #5404
BHPian

Rattles

Thanks for the inputs

75% of rattling has disappeared after the sunglass was removed from the sunglass holder. There is still some more rattling that appears to come from the door trim.
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 08:59   #5405
BHPian

This is what happen when you choose alternative routes to reach your house.
My SCross 1.6 Alpha completed 25000 kms in 9 months. As GTO said, real pleasure come after 20000 only and I can now understand now. 1.6 is real beast and nothing can beat that.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_7801.jpg  

chaudharysaab is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 17:22   #5406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudharysaab View Post
My SCross 1.6 Alpha completed 25000 kms in 9 months.
Wow. The beast looks really muscular
25K KMs in 9 months is a very good mileage. Hope you had really good long drives in this period. Wish you many many more happy miles.
Old 15th August 2016, 18:30   #5407

Hi fellow S Crossers.

In my previous car I had used the Blaupunkt New York Touch Screen in-dash Entertainment and Navigation system, which used the MapMyIndia Application - which had many choices for Voice Guidance, Search Parameters, Save Location, etc., hence I find the pre-installed system in our cars to be pretty clunky and feature poor, and I would love to revert to the MMI Guidance if possible. Thus, my queries to the experts are:

1. As MMI Map software is also downloadable on to the SD Card, is it possible to convert our navigation to an MMI version?
2. Can this be done without adverse affect on the warranty, or will it be viewed as such by MSI?

Thanks!
Old 15th August 2016, 19:28   #5408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudharysaab View Post
My SCross 1.6 Alpha completed 25000 kms in 9 months. As GTO said, real pleasure come after 20000 only and I can now understand now. 1.6 is real beast and nothing can beat that.
Justice done to the S-Cross

That's some proper running. Is it in the city or highway? Was interested to know if it was in the city how is your left leg feeling. I didn't find the 1.6 clutch to be that hard but similar to my SX4. But sometimes I feel that too isn't comfortable for extended distances in traffic. The 1.3 on the other hand has a feather light clutch.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 21:30   #5409
Sip
BHPian

Hi fellow BHPians !

Proud to announce that I have taken delivery of granite gray 1.6 Zeta and yes its made in 2015, perhaps today its a rare peace made in 2015. Cracker of a car guys ! shankar.balan is most vociferous proponent of this car and believe me this guy has good inference! Guys a detailed initial ownership report would follow in due course.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160814_140119.jpg  

Sip is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 21:55   #5410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Hi fellow BHPians !

Proud to announce that I have taken delivery of granite gray 1.6 Zeta and yes its made in 2015, perhaps today its a rare peace made in 2015. Cracker of a car guys ! shankar.balan is most vociferous proponent of this car and believe me this guy has good inference! Guys a detailed initial ownership report would follow in due course.
Congrats buddy!!

I understand shankar.balan effect . I had given up with dad and booked 1.3. Finally, shankar.balan motivated me not to give up and I argued with dad every day. Now I have run 3000 KM in 1.6 S-Cross and it would be remapped soon .
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 11:02   #5411
BANNED

After having driven the S-cross for over 6000km , I am not satisfied with the car . First , the suspension is too bad for me , the rear is a virtual springboard on bad roads and then the power . While 320NM on paper looks good and in the leagues of skoda , audi , merc , bmw the engine is a pure irritant if one needs to do spirited driving on high traffic highways . The gear shifting is constant and you just feel that the 320 NM is at a particular narrow power band RPM and the engine drops too much of power before and after the band . The power delivery is just at 2000 -3000 RPM . The highways that I frequent ,the gear changing is constant .

http://training.suzukiauto.co.za/SAS...s/newsx4/1.pdf

SX4- Service manual . It is the petrol version , but the body documents are fine
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Transmission_Transaxle.pdf (6.73 MB, 4140 views)

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 16th August 2016 at 11:30. Reason: inserting tech downloads
greatmana2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 12:22   #5412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
After having driven the S-cross for over 6000km , I am not satisfied with the car .
http://training.suzukiauto.co.za/SAS...s/newsx4/1.pdf

SX4- Service manual . It is the petrol version , but the body documents are fine
I am not just surprised regarding your experience with the S-Cross, but shocked to an extent. S-Cross is famous for exactly the opposite of what you have mentioned. Did you visit the workshop and explain them your concerns? You might have just got a lemon. Better to get things repaired/replaced under warranty, if need be,

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 16th August 2016 at 12:28.
Old 16th August 2016, 12:42   #5413
BHPian

Quote:
... While 320NM on paper looks good and in the leagues of skoda , audi , merc , bmw the engine is a pure irritant if one needs to do spirited driving on high traffic highways . The gear shifting is constant and you just feel that the 320 NM is at a particular narrow power band RPM and the engine drops too much of power before and after the band . The power delivery is just at 2000 -3000 RPM...
The turbo lag along with narrow power band is very much present in all 1.6 S-Cross. In fact the 1.3 MJD too suffer from lag, but is much less compared to 1.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
... S-Cross is famous for exactly the opposite of what you have mentioned ...
Why do you say that?
Turbo lag of 1.6 has been discussed on this thread multiple times.

Not to offend the current 1.6 owners, but I really fail to understand the reason behind the hype of 1.6. Even the veterans like GTO consider it to be an amazing engine, but why? Just because of that huge push back effect(320Nm) at 2000 RPM band? What about the power before and after this RPM?

I guess there is something which I failed to observe/understand in my multiple test drives of 1.6.
Old 16th August 2016, 13:59   #5414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After having driven the S-cross for over 6000km , I am not satisfied with the car . First , the suspension is too bad for me , the rear is a virtual springboard on bad roads and then the power . While 320NM on paper looks good and in the leagues of skoda , audi , merc , bmw the engine is a pure irritant if one needs to do spirited driving on high traffic highways . The gear shifting is constant and you just feel that the 320 NM is at a particular narrow power band RPM and the engine drops too much of power before and after the band . The power delivery is just at 2000 -3000 RPM . The highways that I frequent ,the gear changing is constant .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Not to offend the current 1.6 owners, but I really fail to understand the reason behind the hype of 1.6. Even the veterans like GTO consider it to be an amazing engine, but why? Just because of that huge push back effect(320Nm) at 2000 RPM band? What about the power before and after this RPM?

I guess there is something which I failed to observe/understand in my multiple test drives of 1.6.
I own a 1.6 Alpha, done 5000km in 4 months. About half my running is on highways. I used to own a Figo before I bought the S-Cross.
I have just come back from a 900km trip, so here is my take on this car.

Please remember that all cars have a "sweet spot". You need to find it. Take suspension for example. In my Figo, the "sweet spot" was around 40-45kmph on broken roads. At these speeds, minor bumps and potholes were swallowed up, and vertical movement of the car was minimal. The S-Cross too, similarly, has a sweet spot around 50-55kmph. But then, it depends on the type of broken surface, to judge the optimum speed. Can it get "bouncy"? Yes, it can. I have also felt some "looseness" of the back at certain speeds on undulating roads, I almost felt as though I was driving an old Verna! But then, I guess I was out of the "sweet spot". I have done 100kmph on a gravel stretch (road under construction) and used left-foot braking to adjust the line. For those few minutes, my name was Tommi Makinen

As far as turbo lag is concerned - lets say you are driving on a 6-lane highway (just came back from a trip, remember?). As is typical of such roads in India, all manner of traffic doing a range of speeds, occupies all lanes at random. I was able to average 75kmph over ~300km. The S-Cross turbo wakes up at 1700rpm. At 100kmph, 6th gear, car is doing 1750rpm. Shift speeds need to be judged correctly if you are weaving through this kind of traffic. I never had to drop below 4th (50kmph @ 1500rpm), and you can hold 5th until your speed becomes illegal. Where turbo lag catches you out badly is if you have to drop speeds quickly and don't downshift. If you can judge your shifts correctly, you can get past slow moving trucks on 2-lane highways very very quickly, and make rapid progress. Gaps that were previously impossible now become wide open because of the in-gear acceleration.

The 1.6 is also not very fast off the line. Acceleration in 1st and 2nd is not much better than most other cars in the B+/C segments. But it will out-accelerate most other cars once past 50kmph, and continue to accelerate long after those cars have run out of ideas.

However, my enthusiasm for the S-Cross 1.6 is because I love the car enough to learn its sweet spots. That is not everybody's cup of tea, however.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 16th August 2016 at 14:00.
KiloAlpha is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 14:08   #5415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Why do you say that?
Turbo lag of 1.6 has been discussed on this thread multiple times.
I agree that turbo lag of 1.6 has been discussed at length on the forum. But it is also discussed that the lag very much manageable and it is something you can get used easily.

Also, the suspension setup of S-Cross is one of the best in the segment, better than Creta for sure, so even the suspension related comment was surprising.

Do not think that I am trying to defend the product. Every person has/will have a different experience with the same product. But, by and large, every S-Cross owner is happy with the product, hence the surprise.
ajay_satpute is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed