Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2016, 02:01   #5461
BANNED

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
That's what smooth cruising all about. Try it and you will be surprised to feel the difference. To put things into perspective, I tried couple of times to drive fast and I ended up saving 15 minutes, a lot less FE and a lot more stress. It's pretty easy to maintain speeds between 80-100 kmph and the in gear acceleration takes care of the braking and acceleration. At these speed you are just touching the turbo zone and there will always be power available at those rpm's. But, at 120 kmph+ the characteristics of the engine changes drastically and you surely need time to get back into these speeds again after braking. I hope I am clear now.
I do not know which route you are talking about , but I am talking about the Bangalore -Chittor -Chennai route . From Chittor to Chennai I take the Sholingur ,Tiruttani route because there is less traffic compared to the Ranipet route . To get to the outskirts of Bangalore it definitely takes a lot of time , be it the Hosur route or the Chittor route . I do not understand how one can "maintain " smooth cruising especially with a zillion of speed breakers and signals . My driving style is more oriented towards smooth cruising and when I drive I do tend to get a better fuel efficiency than most other drivers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Buddy, you have only posted Wikipedia link. Please read .

I slot into 6 th gear only above 100 KMPH. At 80 KMPH, It would be around 1500 RPM in 6 th gear. Engine doesn't feel strained at 80 in 6 th gear. But I always prefer keeping the car above 1800 RPM.

Maintain low RPM by up shifting early, you will lug the engine, it would jerk and finally stop.
Can you please tell me what does the link say ? Probably I did not understand what a VGT meant ..LOL . What I understood was that the turbine aspect ratio varies and it is varied with the help of an ECU depending on the engine speed in layman terms .
Old 17th August 2016, 02:16   #5462
BHPian

There are many people who really like the sudden acceleration one gets when one gets into the 'Turbo Zone'.
Most of the people in India have driven Turbo Diesel vehicles and consequently have gotten addicted to that feeling of one being pushed into the seat when the Turbo kicks in.
I personally haven't driven many diesel vehicles and whenever I have, I have loathed the lag. The only time I really enjoyed my drive was when I drove the 1.5 Polo TDI, as it had a much linear acceleration curve. The reason why I have loathed the lag is because it becomes a pain to keep the car in the power band especially with the kind of traffic we guys face whether in cities or highways. People experienced similar issues with the 110 PS model of the Duster which was later rectified in the AWD model by making the power band to begin at 1750 rpm than 2000.

I am guessing the other party in this discussion feels like me and hence doesn't feel that S-cross is as great a car as it is made out to be. Same feeling was echoed by some friends of mine as well who had a couple of TDs of the 1.6. They still preferred their Vento 1.6 despite the S-cross boasting of better numbers.

Having said all that, I still believe that the 1.6 has great potential and as with Turbo cars, can be tuned to suit the way a driver wants the Torque to be delivered. If I was looking at nothing else but the engine, it is one car you can't ignore especially since the price drop. Despite my inclinations towards Turbo Lag, I would definitely buy the 1.6, get the engine tuned for my driving style and get a stiffer suspension setup. If I still wouldn't like it, I would keep it with me till it makes financial sense to sell it off.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 02:51   #5463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
I do not know which route you are talking about , but I am talking about the Bangalore -Chittor -Chennai route . From Chittor to Chennai I take the Sholingur ,Tiruttani route because there is less traffic compared to the Ranipet route . To get to the outskirts of Bangalore it definitely takes a lot of time , be it the Hosur route or the Chittor route . I do not understand how one can "maintain " smooth cruising especially with a zillion of speed breakers and signals . My driving style is more oriented towards smooth cruising and when I drive I do tend to get a better fuel efficiency than most other drivers .
Well I take the longer route through hosur-krishnagiri-ambur-vellore which is of course 40 kms longer, but with less traffic and awesome roads. I cover 355 kms with an average speed of 75 kmph. And as I have posted many times here regarding FE which has never gone below 22kmpl.
Old 17th August 2016, 07:13   #5464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post

I still do not understand why the comparision is done with either Creta or the Duster . The 1.3 would compete with the i20 , etios , linea which are all priced similarly . In fact I bought my S-cross comparing the pricing of the Linea with the S-cross . With a small stretch over the cost of a linea I was able to get the 1.6 .
No one was comparing S cross 1.3 with Duster 110 / Creta
1.6 at the moment is better than a Duster 110 and Creta 1.6 in my opinion.

I bought the 1.3 as I felt it to be better than the Duster 85ps, Ecosport and Ciaz. Your opinion can be different. Etios and i20 are a step lower than the 1.3 S cross in my opinion (performance may be at par). Linea T jet, Vento and Rapid are better and more powerful, but not for someone looking for space and reliability.

Last edited by SDP : 17th August 2016 at 08:06. Reason: Removing mod-note from quoted post
Old 17th August 2016, 08:16   #5465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
No one was comparing S cross 1.3 with Duster 110 / Creta
1.6 at the moment is better than a Duster 110 and Creta 1.6 in my opinion.

I bought the 1.3 as I felt it to be better than the Duster 85ps, Ecosport and Ciaz. Your opinion can be different. Etios and i20 are a step lower than the 1.3 S cross in my opinion (performance may be at par). Linea T jet, Vento and Rapid are better and more powerful, but not for someone looking for space and reliability.

I was just curious if you really meant that SCross is more spacious than a Vento?

Regards
Bharath
Old 17th August 2016, 09:04   #5466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
I was just curious if you really meant that SCross is more spacious than a Vento?

Regards
Bharath
Yes. S-Cross is more spacious than Vento.
The wheel base of S-Cross is 2600mm (Vento - 2553mm). S-Cross is wider by 66mm and higher by 123mm than Vento.

An added advantage of S-Cross is that it's ground clearance is 180mm whereas that of Vento is 163mm.
Old 17th August 2016, 09:19   #5467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards
Bharath
When the rear seats are folded down, it creates a better overall usable space, which can easily swallow lots of luggage.

Regarding the discussion from yesterday, it is clear the greatmana, was not happy with his decision to buy the 1.6. We should respect that. The car is a very personal choice and what may be suitable for one person may not suit the other.

The s-cross does feel great and useful for a lot of us, which is why we selected this car.

The s-cross is popular with a lot of people and we have now found a person who finds that it has some short comings and is not meeting his expectations. We should respect his views, perhaps another person may also share the same feeling further on down the lane. We never know.

Like most of us here, greatmana also had the option to do multiple test drives before selecting the 1.6. It is just too bad that he was not able to find that things are not suitable for him during his test drives. Perhaps, he should go on a longer test drive next time he chooses a car. We should also recommend all future prospective owners to do the same, lest he also ends up with a product not meeting the expectation.

Last edited by govigov : 17th August 2016 at 09:21.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 09:20   #5468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Yes. S-Cross is more spacious than Vento.
The wheel base of S-Cross is 2600mm (Vento - 2553mm). S-Cross is wider by 66mm and higher by 123mm than Vento.

An added advantage of S-Cross is that it's ground clearance is 180mm whereas that of Vento is 163mm.
How about the Thigh support and Bootspace? Also does this mean three people get to sit more comfortably in SCross than in a Vento?

Regards
Bharath
Old 17th August 2016, 09:40   #5469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards
Bharath
With respect to the rear seat space and width, yes the S-Cross is more spacious. It loses out in the boot space though.

Did a Chennai - Bangalore round trip over the weekend and the vehicle performed as expected. I was cruising in the 100 - 120kmph speed and the car behaved very well. Since it is a 1.6 and the above speed is right in the turbo zone, the mileage was also a very respectful 18.5kmpl per the MID. I have not checked it via the tankful method but a rough calculation gave me around 18 which is pretty good for me as my previous car used to give max 14 - 15 during the same journey and it was also a petrol

Turbo lag was easily overcome except on cases when I had to accelerate from say 40kmph in the 5th gear, but then I guess at the same speed, even the 1.3 will have some lag.

All in all, a happy 1.6 customer for now, looking forward to more such escapades!!
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 10:48   #5470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about the Thigh support and Bootspace? Also does this mean three people get to sit more comfortably in SCross than in a Vento?

Regards
Bharath
The S-Cross' seating is not the most comfortable out there (in terms of bolstering and support it is strictly par for the course), but the cabin is certainly more roomy than the Vento's. Bootspace is obviously not as much considering the Vento is a sedan, but the added versatility and flexibility of a crossover does hold its own benefits. Strictly speaking unless occupants at the back are really tall, they would prefer to sit in the Vento given its thigh support and angle of recline at the rear bench however, as a driver I would much rather be in the S-Cross as the Vento's central console fouls with my left leg from time to time and whenever the steering is adjusted to my liking, it prevents me from heel-toe shifting (same with the Rapid but not true with the Fabia or Polo). That way the S-Cross is more ergonomically sound IMO and that plays a huge factor as well.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 17th August 2016 at 10:50.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 14:38   #5471
BHPian

Quote:
The S-Cross' seating is not the most comfortable out there (in terms of bolstering and support it is strictly par for the course), but the cabin is certainly more roomy
I completely agree with the above statement .

I have 1.6 too , and have completed 1000 kms and just did my first servicing.

I switched from petrol to diesel car and Scross is my first diesel car. Most of my travel has been within noida city and few are in bumper to bumper traffic in delhi-noida route.

My left leg has developed pain and i am slowly developing back pain as well. Initially I thought i have not adjusted the seats properly , hence the pain but now after trying almost a month with different seating positions i am unable to get a painless drive. I also asked the service guy to check the clutch as i felt it to be too stiff , but he bluntly said it will get worse

But I must say, this experience of mine related to seating is personal, it might be because of my height/weight or wrong seating position. Although i didnt faced any such issues in my Aveo (petrol).

Apart from the above point, i have not come across any other problem .

thanks
tanmay

Last edited by Eddy : 17th August 2016 at 15:15. Reason: Fixing quotes
Old 17th August 2016, 16:57   #5472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutCARS View Post
I completely agree with the above statement .

I have 1.6 too , and have completed 1000 kms and just did my first servicing.

I switched from petrol to diesel car and Scross is my first diesel car. Most of my travel has been within noida city and few are in bumper to bumper traffic in delhi-noida route.

My left leg has developed pain and i am slowly developing back pain as well. Initially I thought i have not adjusted the seats properly , hence the pain but now after trying almost a month with different seating positions i am unable to get a painless drive. I also asked the service guy to check the clutch as i felt it to be too stiff , but he bluntly said it will get worse

But I must say, this experience of mine related to seating is personal, it might be because of my height/weight or wrong seating position. Although i didnt faced any such issues in my Aveo (petrol).

Apart from the above point, i have not come across any other problem .

thanks
tanmay
Maybe you should try using the torque more instead of changing gears frequently. I know this is easier said than done as I get fed up myself sometimes driving the Polo in heavy traffic. Avoid Rush Hours... Also I had a seating posture problem but got it corrected with advise.

Regards
Bharath
Old 17th August 2016, 22:48   #5473
BHPian

Today, completed exactly 1 year of S-Cross ownership. Overall, highly satisfied with the performance of my DDiS 200 Zeta. I have clocked a mileage of 17500 KMs in this one year period. (Rather 9 months as 3 months I was out of station)

Had 4 long drives in this one year and it was never tiresome in the driving seat during these very longish drives.

Following are the 4 round trips I did in the last 1 year.
1. Bangalore - Mookampika
2. Bangalore - Thrissur
3. Bangalore - Mumbai (Twice)

During most of this long drives, my machine had returned a fuel economy of 22-23 KMPL with 100% AC
I do get a fuel economy of 19-20 KMPL in my Bangalore city traffic (100% AC)

Will post an ownership report after some time. Do not have the patience to write down very long reports and lack of time is also an obstacle.

Last edited by Sree73 : 17th August 2016 at 22:50.
Sree73 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 23:32   #5474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Today, completed exactly 1 year of S-Cross ownership. Overall, highly satisfied with the performance of my DDiS 200 Zeta. I have clocked a mileage of 17500 KMs in this one year period. (Rather 9 months as 3 months I was out of station)

Had 4 long drives in this one year and it was never tiresome in the driving seat during these very longish drives.

Following are the 4 round trips I did in the last 1 year.
1. Bangalore - Mookampika
2. Bangalore - Thrissur
3. Bangalore - Mumbai (Twice)

During most of this long drives, my machine had returned a fuel economy of 22-23 KMPL with 100% AC
I do get a fuel economy of 19-20 KMPL in my Bangalore city traffic (100% AC)

Will post an ownership report after some time. Do not have the patience to write down very long reports and lack of time is also an obstacle.
Congrats on completing 1 year! Your fuel efficiency is mind blowing 20kmpl in the city I urge you to write down your ownership report asap and also include specifics on what you do during your city drive to achieve that mileageI am getting a mileage hovering between 14 to 15 in chennai city traffic in my 1.3 zeta.
Ananthc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 12:54   #5475
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki releases more engine details of its upcoming Petrol variant of S Cross,

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-capture.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks