Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2016, 20:51   #5566
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Hello everyone.as reported earlier i am facing black smoke issue in my Scross 1.6 alpha for quite sometime now.have diagnosed the car for two times already but everytime it gets sorted for 1 2 weeks and black smokes starts again.tomorrow getting it serviced at sai service lower parel.hope they solve the issue permanently this time as they look more qualified than borivali sai service for nexa cars.

Also i am looking for something like body kits for my Scross to give it more aggressive racing car look but i am yet to find it in Indian market.
Or else will order something like this from ali express .
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-images-5.jpg  

Old 29th August 2016, 22:03   #5567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Thanks for the reply. He has changed the alloys immediately after getting the car. No accident.
Indeed, I read that at as 40k kms, and wondered how he manged 40,000 kms in a such a short time.

So, if I am correct, with the fog lamps and alloys, your car should now look like a zeta, right?
Old 29th August 2016, 23:10   #5568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post

Also i am looking for something like body kits for my Scross to give it more aggressive racing car look but i am yet to find it in Indian market.
Or else will order something like this from ali express .
If you are talking about black part at bottom, it is called samurai rubber skirt (imported from Thailand). It is available in most of the accessory shops. Also you can order it directly from Samurai India FB page.
Old 30th August 2016, 06:36   #5569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Indeed, I read that at as 40k kms, and wondered how he manged 40,000 kms in a such a short time.

So, if I am correct, with the fog lamps and alloys, your car should now look like a zeta, right?
Yesterday it was too late to get the wheels fixed. Will get them fixed today along with balancing and alignment, and most probably from Ayengar's tire clinic close to my place. Any other suggestion near Bangalore south?

The four wheels are in very good condition and looks pristine, except for very minor scratches and I can say Im happy with the purchase.

Will post the pix after getting the wheels fixed and, hopefully it will look like zeta

Girish
girishv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 11:41   #5570
Senior - BHPian

Enjoying Mumbai monsoon at the reclamation. Pic taken with my humble Moto g3.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160828_103332143_hdr.jpg  

rakesh_r is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 20:06   #5571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Enjoying Mumbai monsoon at the reclamation. Pic taken with my humble Moto g3.
Beautifully framed. Thanks for sharing.
@viral is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 09:48   #5572
BHPian

Guys,

What is the ideal mileage one can expect in city and on highway for both 1.3 and 1.6, if driven in normal driving conditions, particularly, if not driven aggressively for 1.6.

Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 31st August 2016 at 09:50.
Old 31st August 2016, 10:17   #5573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Guys,

What is the ideal mileage one can expect in city and on highway for both 1.3 and 1.6, if driven in normal driving conditions, particularly, if not driven aggressively for 1.6.

Thanks.
For the 1.6, my current mileage is ~15kmpl in the city. On the one highway trip, I got upto 19, but I expect it to probably increase a bit as it has only run 2000 kms.

The 1.3 gave me an astounding mileage of around 21 kmpl when I took it on a Bangalore - Coorg - Bangalore trip. City, no idea.
Old 31st August 2016, 10:20   #5574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
The 1.3 gave me an astounding mileage of around 21 kmpl when I took it on a Bangalore - Coorg - Bangalore trip. City, no idea.
Expect a FE for DDiS200 in city driving conditions (BLR) to be ~ 19 - 22 km/l
Old 31st August 2016, 10:32   #5575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks.
For reference : FE of my 1.6 in last 8 months.

It includes
a) Daily office crawling traffic
b) Highway runs to Rajasthan and Himachal
c) Driven through temperature varying from 5c to 48c.
d) Tested across 90% of the speedometer range

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20160831-10.22.57.png
kpzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 11:55   #5576
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks.
I own a 1.3 with around 17k on the odo. In Bangalore type city traffic,the realistic mileage one can expect is 15-17 kmpl. On highways it's a different story though. I never got below 22kmpl and the numbers were as high as 29kmpl if driven carefully in some occasions. Most of the highway drives better the claimed ARAI figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Dear Scross 1.6 owners,Has anyone used or using Shell Diesel? any difference in performance, good or bad?
The engine surely feels smooth as well as the clatter sound has been very low with shell diesel. But, I haven't observed any noticeable improvement on the performance and mileage front.

A question to fellow BHPians. I believe some of us early 1.3 owners have received the gift vouchers due to price corrections and some might have used it. In my case the voucher was initially registered and validated on the nexa site. But, eventually it was cancelled with the reason being the voucher doesn't work if you have activated it after 10k mileage. How's that for an excuse! My dealer is Bimal and the nexa guys are claiming there are more candidates like me who are unable to avail the coupons. They say that they are having a dialogue with Maruti for a resolution, but I am not sure if it will happen. I do understand it being a free gift, but shouldn't they honor it? Your opinions guys.
sou_3749 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 15:22   #5577
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks.
With my 1.6 maximum FE achieved by me during highway drive with sedate driving was 23.1 ! Refer post No 5502 on this review. However on highway if one maintain steady speed FE over 21 easily achieved but with spirited drive added with few burst of power drive here and there (highway) FE is only 19.

During city (sedate) driving with regularly moving traffic FE 17-18. But with crawling traffic FE can plunge to any level.
Sip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 21:17   #5578
Sip
BHPian

S-Cross review has been one of the most elaborate reviews within an year of launch. Turbo lag of 1.6 engine has been much discussed.

It has been 2 weeks since I bought my 1.6 and odometer reads 2000 Kms!

However, IMHO this car has been unfairly criticised for turbo lag in powerband below 1750 RPMs. I have some observations on city driving for only below 1750 RPMs.

Let's look at different speeds / gears with right foot off accelerator -

3 rd gear - 20 kmph
4th gear - 30 kmph
5th gear - 40 Kmph

These are speeds for particular gear from where car pulls up comfortably without any throttle input. And the good torque is so clearly evident that one doesn't feel the need to increase RPM. Anyone can check this. 2nd and 3rd gears alone would put you through any city traffic comfortably. With clear idea of sweet spot its perfectly manageable rather enjoyable in city traffic!

Some possible reasons for turbo lag perception :-

May be this engine was launched with much hype about power and this could have created unmet expectations.

Price difference of about 3 lac between 1.3 and 1.6 was at least apparently bad. And 1.3 had better response vis-a-vis 1.6 in the subject power band. This provided comparison and hinted to better choice in backdrop of bad pricing.

First time attempted breach of low cost car manufacturing image of Maruti. Manufacturers image is linked to cultural aspects and it is established fact that it takes longer time to change it.

Some facts which don't subscribe to perceived turbo lag :-

Torque and power graph posted on this review by fellow BHPians confirms starting torque (at idle RPM) of 175 Nm and upward available till 1750 RPMs. I am sure this is handsome figure! So this calls for specific driving skills to harness the 'pull' available in reality. This could prompt one to speculate that it is difficult to master 'sweet spot' during few Kms of test drive. Team BHP official review too mentions that car has enough torque in lower power band. Right dose of particular gear /speed / throttle input are crucial. So to conclude either some post launch tweaking by Maruti or may be some inaccurate appreciation of so called turbo lag.

On a highway this car can make a mockery of most of other cars due to superb maneuverability and engine capacity. And only problems seems to be the 'speed limit'

Last edited by Sip : 1st September 2016 at 21:20.
Sip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 21:28   #5579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Let's look at different speeds / gears with right foot off accelerator -

3 rd gear - 20 kmph
4th gear - 30 kmph
5th gear - 40 Kmph
I second that. Yes, car pulls at these speeds when you are gentle with throttle. But if you do pedal to metal, you will find lack of response and people start complaining about turbo lag. There is something called drivers wish map in ECU. It's like a table with Engine RPM, Accelerator pedal position and Injection quantity of fuel. At 100 percent throttle IQ is maximum and when you WOT at these low speeds, ECU will request high IQ but engine won't be able to deliver it and hence lack of response.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 1st September 2016 at 21:30.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 09:13   #5580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Torque and power graph posted on this review by fellow BHPians confirms starting torque (at idle RPM) of 175 Nm and upward available till 1750 RPMs.
Guys, we should never trust manufacturer posted torque curves - they do not tell anything about turbo lag. They are done on a standalone engine testbench, where the RPMs are allowed to increase very gradually by loading up the engine, hence negating the presence of turbo lag.

In the real world, things are quite different. Take a look at this (optimistic) torque curve measured by NASA.
It's optimistic because it's only looking at the max power that can be generated assuming all the oxygen in the air can be converted completely to power.
https://www.facebook.com/NorthernAut...type=3&theater

It shows that you only have 125NM actually generated at 1500RPM in 3rd gear. And even lower at idle, a far cry from 175NM that you quoted, buddy.
That's not too great to lug 1275 kg around, hence the perception of lag. Having a peak torque of over 300NM, when compared to the low figure of 125NM at lower RPMs doesn't help either.

That lag is real - probably just that it makes you salivate more when you actually hit the turbo zone
d3mon is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks