Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2016, 14:17   #6331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
A quick question, what about the steering. S-Cross has a electrically actuated steering lock, is there a risk of the steering lock getting engaged?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Good question, but I didn't try steering at all since this was not a very controlled test and was tested on an empty straight stretch after making sure no cars were around. But in all likelihood, the steering will lock
Brezza ZDi+ has the same setup. Once you switch off the car, the steering will lock only if any of the doors are opened and not just unlocked. Suppose you switch off the car while a passenger is getting down and a door is ajar, then in that situation, steering gets locked only when another door is opened. So if the car ignition is switched off during motion, you can turn the steering although with great effort. I had a chance to experience it twice when I was new to a diesel car (Brezza) and stalled it on a couple of occasions. The steering became very heavy but was maneuverable till it came to dead stop when it was kind of difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

This is particularly a good logic because, children sitting in the front seat would sometimes press the button accidentally when the car is in motion and the driver would panic for reaction.
Sorry to nit-pick but it's always better to keep children away from front seats, preferably secured in a child seat.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 14:51   #6332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Completed 22,222 KMs by the end of drive today. Very pleasant ownership of 16 months. (Took delivery on 17th Aug 2015)

Get approx 19-20 KM/L consistently in Bangalore City traffic with ACC 100% @ 23-25 Deg C. (Routine Whitefield - Electronics City). Long drives give me 23-25 KM/L with AC
That's quite a staggering FE you are getting on your SCross that too in Bengaluru traffic. I am assuming this is the 1.3 ! How has been the overall experience and have there been any niggles?

I have gone bonkers in my car search as I test drove almost all the cars (SCross, Brezza, Duster, Creta). Only Terrano is pending.

Heart says Terrano => Duster => SCross 1.3 =>1.6 in that order, while mind says wait for 2017 for refreshed models / new launches !
Old 22nd December 2016, 15:20   #6333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
That's quite a staggering FE you are getting on your SCross that too in Bengaluru traffic. I am assuming this is the 1.3 ! How has been the overall experience and have there been any niggles?

I have gone bonkers in my car search as I test drove almost all the cars (SCross, Brezza, Duster, Creta). Only Terrano is pending.

Heart says Terrano => Duster => SCross 1.3 =>1.6 in that order, while mind says wait for 2017 for refreshed models / new launches !
+1, I am sailing in exactly the same boat. my heart says: Creta> Terrano>SCross> Ecosport> Duster
Old 22nd December 2016, 16:41   #6334
BHPian

Quote:

Would love to share my car hunt phase. It started in the first half of 2015 or maybe earlier. I test drove vento, ecosport, xuv, creta, duster, brezza, city, brv and scross. Did some drives multiple times and of different variants. Maybe some more cars I drove which I dont recall. But there was only one car which really put a grin on my face and that was scross1.6. As per my requirements it didnt tick all the boxes and i dropped it and went ahead. Had booked hexa (without a test drive) but somehow I came back to scross 1.6.

I will get to know on Christmas or day after that whether my choice of colour is available or not.

Keenly looking forward to some long drives
deevee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:29   #6335
BHPian

Quote:
Yes NFS. I own S-Cross 200DDiS Zeta (1.3).

Not much of any niggles in the 16 months of ownership so far. It was a wonderful experience in city / highway runs. Had multiple long drives including Bangalore-Mumbai twice. Very stable and wonderful steering response.

Only one issue I faced during the first week of ownership was the car refusing to start with a message "Key fob not detected". The key was kept at the cubby hole just to the right side of the push button start. The service centre addressed a loose coupler and this was rectified.

They advised to keep the key in any of the cup-holders near the hand brake as the key sensor is located below that.

I got the same "Key fob not detected" message once or twice when I kept the fob in the cubby hole after that also. So, as a practice I keep the key fob in the centre cup-holder only.

Otherwise, the ownership is almost trouble free.
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:48   #6336
BHPian

I have to make an unscheduled trip to Chandigarh, Jammu City and Dharamshala. The Odometer is at 9208 kms. The trip will add another 1200-1300 kms to the Odometer. I will be returning on Monday evening and will take the car for 10,000 kms service on Tuesday.

Will the SC make a fuss about getting the 10k service done at 10,600 or 10,700 kms?
Old 22nd December 2016, 21:15   #6337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
I have to make an unscheduled trip to Chandigarh, Jammu City and Dharamshala. The Odometer is at 9208 kms. The trip will add another 1200-1300 kms to the Odometer. I will be returning on Monday evening and will take the car for 10,000 kms service on Tuesday.

Will the SC make a fuss about getting the 10k service done at 10,600 or 10,700 kms?
Generally they do not.

Only issue is that in case of any major technical claims under warranty, it can be interpreted as (they will not do in any circumstances) you did not follow the recommended service frequency. A very very remote probability.
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 22:22   #6338
Team-BHP Support

A +- of 1000 km is fine, they don't fuss about it too much.
Eddy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 00:37   #6339
BHPian

Booked a S-Cross 1.3 DDiS 200 Alpha (Granite Grey) couple of weeks back. That came with some offers:

- 10k Corporate Discount
- 15k cash discount
- 15k worth of accessories.

During booking process, was never told these offers are only for existing 2016 manufactured cars. In any case, was not bothered as long as I got a car manufactured not older than 3 months ago.

Now Sales rep calls me and says they do not have same color in stock and we either opt for a 2017 model, which would probably cost us more due to price rise OR we opt for another colored car (2016 manufactured) lying in their stockyard.
Went and checked both cars (from the stockyard) today, since they brought both of them to the showroom.

- VIN says one is October (KG) manufactured, and the other November (LG) manufactured.
- Odo says one is driven 50km and the other one 43km.
- One is shod with the older alloy while the other with new design alloy.
- Since these are the last two 1.3 Alpha variants lying with them, they want these sold off and are offering 35k cash discount (after lots of haggling), instead of 15k.
- Corp discount of 10k remains.
- Assessories, as earlier remains.

Since one of them has been in the stockyard for a month and another being used as a showroom display unit (for past couple weeks per sales rep.), do you guys recommend buying such cars?

I plan to keep them for 7-8 years at the very minimum, so 2016 vs. 2017 does not really matter much.
My main concern is ending up with a costly lemon.

Thanks.

Last edited by aryasanyal : 23rd December 2016 at 00:48.
aryasanyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 09:46   #6340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Booked a S-Cross 1.3 DDiS 200 Alpha (Granite Grey) couple of weeks back. That came with some offers:
Now Sales rep calls me and says they do not have same color in stock and we either opt for a 2017 model, which would probably cost us more due to price rise OR we opt for another colored car (2016 manufactured) lying in their stockyard.

Since one of them has been in the stockyard for a month and another being used as a showroom display unit (for past couple weeks per sales rep.), do you guys recommend buying such cars?
I would recommend that you buy the one in their stockyard. It has been sitting for just a month, so nothing would have gone wrong. Please do a thorough PDI per the T-BHP checklist though, before handing over the final amount.

The reason I wouldn't want to buy a showroom display car, even if it is slightly newer, is because a million people would have poked and prodded it from all angles. I am not comfortable with that. On the other hand, a car standing stationary in the stockyard is untouched.

Congratulations (in advance) on your new car!
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:32   #6341
BHPian

Hello everyone i need some advice from you guys. With heavy heart i have decided to let go my Scross 1.6 alpha for following reasons:

1) My work pattern have changed drastically and involves no Highway trips but only bumper to bumper Mumbai traffic from Borivali to Churchgate which usually takes 3 to 4 hours just to complete about around 30-35 kms.

2) To be honest 95℅ times i drive it alone and somehow i am finding it difficult to control this monster in bumper to bumper traffic without riding clutch continuously( Which is quite Hard and i avoid ) or changing gears 3 times in a minute

3) As metro work have started in Mumbai now i dont think traffic conditions are going to get better anytime soon.

4) not using my car on daily basis so it feels like i am not making justice with its high price tag.

5)i strongly feel you should own a car which satisfies your needs rather than showoff.

So depending on my needs now i need a compact city car which is easy to drive in cities and not dull to drive on some rare outstation trips. I am not looking for AMT's as it comes with high maintenance costs.
I am looking to exchange my car for Baleno Petrol alpha or Upcoming Baleno RS( fun to drive factor) or may be Ultra Compact Ignis. Any advice?
Also is it sensible to wish for around 12 lakhs for car which is yet to complete an year with 12k kms on odo?
Sorry for long post but instead of 3 4 small posts i combined everything in one
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-snapseed05.jpeg  

sahiltodankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:33   #6342
BHPian

Quote:
Yes NFS. I own S-Cross 200DDiS Zeta (1.3).

Not much of any niggles in the 16 months of ownership so far. It was a wonderful experience in city / highway runs. Had multiple long drives including Bangalore-Mumbai twice. Very stable and wonderful steering response.

Only one issue I faced during the first week of ownership was the car refusing to start with a message "Key fob not detected". The key was kept at the cubby hole just to the right side of the push button start. The service centre addressed a loose coupler and this was rectified.

They advised to keep the key in any of the cup-holders near the hand brake as the key sensor is located below that.

I got the same "Key fob not detected" message once or twice when I kept the fob in the cubby hole after that also. So, as a practice I keep the key fob in the centre cup-holder only.

Otherwise, the ownership is almost trouble free.

Thanks for the update. Have sent you a PM, pls respond.
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:12   #6343
Distinguished - BHPian

VFM solution : No need to wrap ORVM

Maruti provides only ORVM cover as MGP. It is gloss black in colour and looks decent. It wouldn't match the look of gloss black wrap or paint. But it costs only 400 bucks. Another advantage is we can replace only the cover if damaged. For my SX4, Maruti doesn't provide only cover and I had to change the entire mirror assembly. Also I had wrapped ORVM for S-Cross from 3M and it costed 1200 Rs. But it's already peeling off at edges. I won't have any peeling issues with this cover
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20161221wa0029.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 23rd December 2016 at 17:15.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:28   #6344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post
Hello everyone i need some advice from you guys. With heavy heart i have decided to let go my Scross 1.6 alpha
Takes courage to make such a decision. I can't say I don't agree with what you have said. Your speculations might be spot on there. IMO, expecting 12Lacs for a 12k/1yr car isn't unreasonable provided the car is in good to excellent condition. As for your new car needs I would recommend the TATA Tiago. It is a great product that has an exceptional VFM tag to it. Prefer an AT if going for a petrol engine; it would save lots of physical stress in traffic.

PS: This instance is a good example for anyone considering the 1.6 variant of the S-Cross. The motor is thrilling but can also get tiresome & test your patience levels in routine traffic situations.
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:29   #6345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only one issue I faced during the first week of ownership was the car refusing to start with a message "Key fob not detected". They advised to keep the key in any of the cup-holders near the hand brake as the key sensor is located below that.

I own a Baleno Zeta, and never have to remove key from my pocket.
Please get this checked, I feel the sensor should have a wider range.

Even I get "Key fob not detected" at times, but that goes away after restarting/relocking the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks