Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2017, 16:06   #6991
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Engine Air Filter : 1.3 Vs 1.6

1. 1.3 Air filter costs 280 Rs (MGP)

2. 1.6 Air filter costs 910 Rs (SGP)

Now the interesting part, 1.3 air filter is a direct fit even on 1.6 S-Cross. But there are some minor differences.

1. 1.6 Air filter has extra foam type material at back

2. The element is made up of thinner paper blocks and more in number

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20170321wa0026.jpg
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20170321wa0025.jpg

P.S : I had ordered air filter for 1.6 S-Cross from an online spares parts portal and received 1.3 air filter by mistake. Anyways, the seller has agreed to refund the amount. Since the 1.3 air filter fits in 1.6, any harm in using it?
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 17:20   #6992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post

1. 1.3 Air filter costs 280 Rs (MGP)

2. 1.6 Air filter costs 910 Rs (SGP)

This is really cheating from the cost point of view. Almost same item, but costing ~4 times.

I could see exactly the same number of fins in both the filters. What do you mean by more blocks in 1.6?

Last edited by Sree73 : 21st March 2017 at 17:22.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 17:32   #6993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
I could see exactly the same number of fins in both the filters. What do you mean by more blocks in 1.6?
I did not literally count the blocks . Yes, you are right. 1.3 Air filter blocks are slightly thicker though and doesn't have that extra foam type material.

Both 1.3 and 1.6 air filters are Mahle make.

1.3 is MGP : 13780 M 65M00
1.6 is SGP : 13780 62M00

I am planning to use the 1.3 air filter and would ask the seller to refund balance amount
Old 21st March 2017, 17:36   #6994
BANNED

Quote:
Now the interesting part, 1.3 air filter is a direct fit even on 1.6 S-Cross. But there are some minor differences.

1. 1.6 Air filter has extra foam type material at back

P.S : I had ordered air filter for 1.6 S-Cross from an online spares parts portal and received 1.3 air filter by mistake. Anyways, the seller has agreed to refund the amount. Since the 1.3 air filter fits in 1.6, any harm in using it?
You can use the 1.3's air filter. The fibre mesh kind of foam in the 1.6's air filter is found on "cold weather" air filters. It is not needed for our weather. It is common for VAG models where both kinds are available.

More paper blocks? Both have same number of rows.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 17:38   #6995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
You can use the 1.3's air filter. The fibre mesh kind of foam in the 1.6's air filter is found on "cold weather" air filters. It is not needed for our weather. It is common for VAG models where both kinds are available.

More paper blocks? Both have same number of rows.
Thanks for the clarification Sankar. I think Maruti just decided to use all imported parts for 1.6 .

Haha my bad, as I said I did not literally count and it just looked like more in number as the blocks were thinner.

Quote:
The fibre mesh kind of foam in the 1.6's air filter is found on "cold weather" air filters.
Kpzen had posted the picture of 1.6 air filter package few months back and it's made in Romania. No wonder it has that fibre mesh kind of foam. I wonder why Maruti bothered to import it and charge 1.6 S-Cross owners 680 Rs premium

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross-air-filter.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd March 2017 at 10:06.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 18:16   #6996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Sankar. I think Maruti just decided to use all imported parts for 1.6 .

Haha my bad, as I said I did not literally count and it just looked like more in number as the blocks were thinner
Wow, first the brake pads and now the filters, I guess we can order them online and take it to the dealers just for installation and the associated labour charges. Quite some savings to be made
arvind71181 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 18:23   #6997
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Dr.Naren for posting these alternatives to pricey S-Cross 1.6 spares.

I honestly believe, the S Cross 1.6 owners should start a new thread on similar lines as the Old Baleno

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...eno-sedan.html

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 21st March 2017 at 18:28.
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 19:37   #6998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I honestly believe, the S Cross 1.6 owners should start a new thread on similar lines as the Old Baleno
Good idea indeed. Let me check few more parts and then plan about starting a thread I hope you would get the latest MGP parts catalogue with pricing soon.
Old 21st March 2017, 19:41   #6999
BANNED

Quote:
Sometimes desi alternatives work out to be cheaper and better ;-)
Price difference between the two is too huge to ignore!
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 20:03   #7000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes desi alternatives work out to be cheaper and better ;-)
Price difference between the two is too huge to ignore!
True that!! I just drove for 10 KM with new 1.3 air filter. Turbo kick is little stronger . I can't say 1.3 air filter is better as my stock 1.6 air filter was pretty dirty.
Old 21st March 2017, 20:04   #7001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b]Since the 1.3 air filter fits in 1.6, any harm in using it?
Here's how my thought goes on the cross product use...

1. 1.6 has approx 350cc more intake than 1.3, so the suction should be more to attract dust (esp Indian climate & Weather), so the extra foam at the back should provide additional filter in keeping the cylinders cleaner for 10K Km interval

2. Even if #1 is ignored, the missing foam at back for 1.3 when used in 1.6, might have to be changed sooner. For now, I'm unable to quantify, may be 5K Km or 3K Km. If its 3 times per 10K Km, then the cost is nearly negligible; if 2 times, then there's some savings on spares

3. The national engine might've been perfected to Indian conditions & so would be their spares as well & probably in course of time 1.6 might get acclimatized as well, so the spares prices might fall.

Just my thoughts that's all, need not be right
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 20:30   #7002
BANNED

Quote:
True that!! I just drove for 10 KM with new 1.3 air filter. Turbo kick is little stronger . I can't say 1.3 air filter is better as my stock 1.6 air filter was pretty dirty.
The Polo filter also has this cold weather thingy on it which is removable. It fits like a sock over the stock paper filter, unlike the panel filters where the mesh is non removable without damaging it. I removed that in my Polo with stock filter for a bit more flow.

Quoting post below
Quote:
The fibre mesh like foam layer could be easily removed even on 1.6 S-Cross air filter. Its attached with glue only to the plastic part of the panel and not to the filter element.
I mean not damaging the mesh. The mesh would tear i guess if you were to try to remove it since its glued? Polo's is just like a sock no glue or anything.

Last edited by Sankar : 21st March 2017 at 20:38.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 20:32   #7003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Polo filter also has this cold weather thingy on it which is removable. It fits like a sock over the stock paper filter, unlike the panel filters where the mesh is non removable without damaging it. I removed that in my Polo with stock filter for a bit more flow.
The fibre mesh like foam layer could be easily removed even on 1.6 S-Cross air filter. Its attached with glue only to the plastic part of the panel and not to the filter element.
Old 21st March 2017, 20:59   #7004
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone thought of fixing the spare wheel on the rear door of S-Cross? (A wild thought - may not be practical). It will give that muscular look for the car from the rear. Also, will release enough extra space in the boot.
Extra space in the boot seems to be the only advantage to me. I personally prefer the current design. S-Cross does not have a SUV design and hence, I feel the spare on the hatch will not look good. To me, crossovers like Avventura with the spare on the hatch looked very odd. Cars like the Creta or Brezza may look better with such an add-on, not S-Cross.

Quote:
Is that the wheel caps or alloys? If it is wheel caps, still looks better than the initial set of alloys came along.
It is the wheel cap. As you said, the wheel cap design is much better than the older stock alloy design. The new OE alloy design is much better, but still not as good looking as the Ciaz or even the Brezza alloy designs - so much for premium Nexa
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:00   #7005
Senior - BHPian

Morning woes - Went to fuel station & the fuel lid wouldn't open; initially I thought its electronic, because as coincidence, when I unlocked all doors, the LID also opened.

When I came home & tried the same, the LID didn't open no matter keeping all doors opened, closed, locked, unlocked; so confirmed that the LID is not electronic door

After several attempts, I was able to open the LID & close smoothly, not sure when it will take a hit again. 13 year old WagonR's fuel lid proved more reliable than this

Last edited by aargee : 22nd March 2017 at 10:01.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed