Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2017, 00:23   #7846
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
A friend of mine (not a tbhp member) has shortlisted 1.3 S-Cross Alpha and Rapid DSG Style LE diesel. He is a sedate driver and does not care much for resale value or cost of maintenance. He said that both the cars are excellent to drive with Rapid being more convenient due to AT box.

Car will be driven 80% in city. He does not like how his present Brio vibrates over bridge joints and jumps over not so even roads. He could not differentiate much on S-Cross and Rapid on these two points in his short test drive as he felt both are major step up compared to Brio. So, if somebody has driven both the cars extensively, can they please comment on the above points? I have personally recommended him S-Cross, but thought of knowing other's points as well.
If I was in your friend's shoes and if resale and maintenance wasn't a concern, I'd definitely choose the Skoda over the 1.3 S-Cross for the following reasons.

- 80% city use and sedated driving style? An automatic makes more sense, no?
- 1.5>1.3. Bigger and more powerful engine.
- Lightening fast gear shifts thanks to the DSG and 7 forward gears!
- I own a 1.6 S-Cross and the ride is bumpy and quite hard at low speeds. But, it evens out as the speed picks up. The Skoda has a much better suspension setup IMO.
- The new Rapid looks really good and sharp. Where as, honestly, the S-Cross looks like a mutated version of the SX-4 and doesn't stand out.
- Better quality and finish than the Suzuki.
- Rear AC.

I was confused between the Rapid DSG and the 1.6 S-Cross, as well. But then, the 1.6 engine won me over and I'm really happy with the choice I made.

Last edited by grease.monkey : 26th July 2017 at 00:29.
grease.monkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 08:57   #7847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grease.monkey View Post
If I was in your friend's shoes and if resale and maintenance wasn't a concern, I'd definitely choose the Skoda over the 1.3 S-Cross for the following reasons.

- 80% city use and sedated driving style? An automatic makes more sense, no?
- 1.5>1.3. Bigger and more powerful engine.
- Lightening fast gear shifts thanks to the DSG and 7 forward gears!
- I own a 1.6 S-Cross and the ride is bumpy and quite hard at low speeds. But, it evens out as the speed picks up. The Skoda has a much better suspension setup IMO.
- The new Rapid looks really good and sharp. Where as, honestly, the S-Cross looks like a mutated version of the SX-4 and doesn't stand out.
- Better quality and finish than the Suzuki.
- Rear AC.

I was confused between the Rapid DSG and the 1.6 S-Cross, as well. But then, the 1.6 engine won me over and I'm really happy with the choice I made.
Looks like you have gone through similar situation and that's why tbhp is such an excellent forum. Thank you. I feel you still have a soft corner for Rapid :-).

Your points are well taken, only thing is that my friend did not complain about the low speed ride in S-Cross 1.3 and he said that even without AT, S-Cross 1.3 was extremely easy to drive. Yes, but it does lack the punch of Rapid on open stretch. I will ask him take a final test drive before issuing the cheque.
sups is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 10:09   #7848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
A friend of mine (not a tbhp member) has shortlisted 1.3 S-Cross Alpha and Rapid DSG Style LE diesel. He is a sedate driver and does not care much for resale value or cost of maintenance. He said that both the cars are excellent to drive with Rapid being more convenient due to AT box.

Car will be driven 80% in city. He does not like how his present Brio vibrates over bridge joints and jumps over not so even roads. He could not differentiate much on S-Cross and Rapid on these two points in his short test drive as he felt both are major step up compared to Brio. So, if somebody has driven both the cars extensively, can they please comment on the above points? I have personally recommended him S-Cross, but thought of knowing other's points as well.
I had the same dilemma, exactly 2 years ago. In fact, I had cut a cheque in the name of "Vinayak Motors", under the condition that I would receive a full refund in case I were to decide on an alternative.

Quoting my review, "To begin with our return - the long TD on Bangalore airport road - we were encountered by bumper-bumper rush hour traffic as we veered out of the expressway. These were testing times for the S-Cross, and for once, I was looking forward to driving in conditions I usually try circumventing. The single biggest difference to driving the S-Cross versus my Esteem was the reduced need for continuous gear shifts at lower speeds. The seemingly wider gear ratios and substantially better low end torque make handling slow moving traffic a relatively easy task."

The rest, like they say, is history

Last edited by pannags : 26th July 2017 at 10:10.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 08:58   #7849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post

4. Music via Google Play Music works. Will check more supported apps.
Sir, I'm using an app called 'Anyautoaudio' to make Wynk and any music app work with Android Auto.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/forum...-t3607916/amp/

Last edited by noopster : 28th July 2017 at 18:43. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 28th July 2017, 12:17   #7850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Sir, I'm using an app called 'Anyautoaudio' to make Wynk and any music app work with Android Auto.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/forum...-t3607916/amp/
Hi,
Anyone from Chennai was able to get their infotainment firmware updated for Android Auto?.
When I contacted NEXA OMR, the RM confirmed that update for Android Auto is available but I have to get the update done in a regular Maruti Showroom as they don't have technicians @NEXA. However, my calls to MSM Chennai and Popular Vehicle (Keelkattalai) were not promising and planning to go to the service center to get a clear response.

Meanwhile, it would be helpful to know if any BHPian got the firmware updated in Chennai?

Last edited by noopster : 28th July 2017 at 18:43. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 28th July 2017, 12:17   #7851
BHPian

So, I just came across this amazing app on the Iphone called 'Wheelco'. I don't know if you guys already know about it. Do check it out if you haven't.

So basically, you just have to upload a side profile picture of your car and then choose from a set of already loaded wheels in the app. The available options are 3SDM, Advan, Avant Garde, Cosmis, Enkei, Rotiform, Volk, VIP Modular, Vossen and Work Wheels. You also get to pinch and increase/decrease the size of the rims. Simple!

Here are the few options which I tried on my S-Cross

This is the setup which I have right now. Lenso 17x8J wheels with 225/50 Pirelli Rubber.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-original.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0145.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0146.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0147.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0148.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0149.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0150.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0151.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0152.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0153.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0154.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0155.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0156.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0157.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0158.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_0159.jpg

PS : I didn't have the patience to properly size or align the rims

Cheers.

Last edited by grease.monkey : 28th July 2017 at 12:36.
grease.monkey is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 19:59   #7852
BHPian

Another milestone crossed: 33,333 kms. Went for a 300 kms drive with BHPians from Delhi to Karnal last Sunday. Couple of trips lined up in the coming days, one to Chail for the Delhi/NCR monsoon meet and the the other one to Amritsar.

Have completed close to 10,000 kms since the wiring harness replacement, no issues to report.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_8157.jpg
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 07:47   #7853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Thanks to Mr. Manoj for sharing the details about OE Europe grill for S-Cross :

He had carried it from Poland and price was around ~2400 Rs.

http://allegro.pl/krata-grill-atrapa...811986980.html

Few pics are posted here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4225902
Did anyone order this from the website? I was not able to locate any international shipping details on the site.
Old 30th July 2017, 11:28   #7854
Distinguished - BHPian

Perfect Blend of Speed, Comfort & FE : S-Cross 1.6!
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20170705_101046.jpg

S-Cross 1.6 is pretty good even in stock form. But there are certain things which could be improved. I have done the same in my 1.6 and loving it .

1. Poor low end & not so great top end : Got Wolf remap

2. Poor grip & noisy Elanzos : Got Continental MC5

3. Poor stock lighting : Got Bixenon Fog Projectors

4. Wheel cap inspired alloy wheels (The present ones are much better) : Got Machine finished alloy wheels

5. Plain Vanilla looks (Subjective) : Got 3M Satin Black Wrap
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 10:28   #7855
Senior - BHPian

A lot has been said in this thread about the difficulty the driver of the 1.6 S-Cross faces if he/she needs to stop on a steep uphill slope, and then set off. Looking at the torque and power curves of this car, I strongly felt that there is sufficient power & torque required to get the car going. So why are so many complaining?

I own a 1.6 Alpha. I live in Bangalore, in a part of town that has fairly steep slopes. I had taught myself, more than 20 years back, to set off uphill without using the handbrake (Ambassador Mk.2 - handbrake is useless in this vehicle). So, I decided to do my own bit of investigation.

Turns out, there is enough power & torque to set off, and one does not need to burn the clutch at all. BUT, the S-Cross 1.6 still has one issue, which will most likely fox the driver and make him/her burn the clutch in an uphill start.

The bite point of the clutch is not at all obvious. The clutch feel does not change through the bite point, which is why I was having lots of issues in stalling and over-revving when starting off uphill. While the car has enough power and torque, during an uphill start, it is critical to modulate the accelerator and clutch so that the engine is held at around 1500rpm up until the point when the car gains sufficient momentum. The slightly lifeless clutch is a major hindrance to this.

So, for all 1.6 owners (and prospective owners): Please don't feel bad if you either stalled the car or burnt the clutch setting off uphill. Neither do you lack skill, and neither is the car insufficient in any way. Just practice clutch-accelerator modulation in this car - it poses a unique challenge.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 31st July 2017 at 10:29. Reason: wording for clarity
KiloAlpha is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 10:36   #7856
Senior - BHPian

Isn't this too early to sell an S-Cross or for that matter, any car?

I think the asking price is way too high. Wishful thinking may be.

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...k=42&isP=false
Old 31st July 2017, 11:38   #7857
Distinguished - BHPian

I had noticed that the ride of my 1.6 S-Cross had become little bouncy. SA assured me it's normal and told me to fill Nitrogen .

Today, I noticed oil leak from front right shock. Anybody else faced this issue in S-Cross? My car has run only 23k km.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20170731_112340.jpg  

Old 31st July 2017, 13:13   #7858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Isn't this too early to sell an S-Cross or for that matter, any car?

I think the asking price is way too high. Wishful thinking may be.

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...k=42&isP=false
The owner clearly doesn't know how vehicle valuation is done in the second hand market. I have come across a bunch of 2016 S-Cross 1.3 variants in Delhi going for about 8.00 depending regardless of it being Zeta or Alpha. The Delta ones don't have buyers because of the sheer lack of equipment and thus are a hard sell even at 7.00 for 2016 models.

A friend of mine is into car sale & purchase business and has told me that this has nothing to do with car's desirability quotient and is present in all segments for all manufacturers. He has admitted to have stocked 3-4 Creta 1.6 models at over 10L and has had a tough time realising decent profits. He had to face similar issues selling Honda City back in 2015 for higher variants. Even though buyers have been aplenty, according to him, people aren't willing to pay over 75% of the car's OTR even for cars under an year old.

PS: I have never bought a used car myself but from a buyer's prospective it doesn't really make sense buying a 2016 S-Cross for over 9.00L!
Old 31st July 2017, 17:09   #7859
BHPian

Took the delivery of my S Cross (1.3 Zeta Premium Silver) on Saturday 29th July 2017 from NEXA Electronic City, Bengaluru. The new alloy design is quite good as compared to the older ones. Will post a detailed ownership/initial driving experience review in due course.

Last edited by unleash_thunder : 31st July 2017 at 17:11. Reason: Forgot to mention the alloy design
unleash_thunder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 18:48   #7860
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Today, I noticed oil leak from front right shock. Anybody else faced this issue in S-Cross? My car has run only 23k km.
Didn't expect to happen so soon. 23K and leaking strut.

Don't push the car too much.

What's the plan?
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks