Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2018, 22:05   #8461
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrashantPahwa View Post
Yes, I will get the air filter cleaned after every 5k once my paid services start. Yesterday at my car's 5k service I got that cleaned too..
Once you finish the free services, your service intervals will be 10k kms so you will need to either DIY or go to an FNG to get the air filter changed.

I also change the engine oil every 5k (mineral oil). While that may not have an immediate impact on FE, it sure played its part in my Swift diesel (same engine) running about 2.75 lakh KMs without any engine issues.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 13:55   #8462

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Thanks a lot for the details.

My colleague has one more question. I find the Engine is same for both Ertiga and S-cross. What if the S-cross is loaded with 5 passengers and luggage and taken to, say, hills. Will it struggle or able to drive without a fuss ?
I have driven the S Cross 1.3 up the hills to Kullu, about 6500 ft high, with 4 passengers and a full load. Due to turbo lag I was driving the uphill stretches on 2nd and third and occasional first gear, but the car zipped across with no difficulty.
vellat sasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 17:27   #8463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrashantPahwa View Post
But I still wonder how my Brother in Law's Ciaz SHVS gives ~22 kmpl in city and ~25 kmpl in mixed use consistently in Bangalore for last 1.5 years. So much for driving style.
I have a friend whose Ciaz gives 29 kmpl on highways and 24 kmpl in city. He drives at 80-85. The car has done 26,000 kms and he has FE records from the day he purchased the car.

I bought S-Cross seeing the FE figures of 22 because I need to drive my car at least 100 km everyday. Its turning out to be a disappointment on that front. Overall I am just in love with S-Cross
Old 26th April 2018, 17:39   #8464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
I have a friend whose Ciaz gives 29 kmpl on highways and 24 kmpl in city. He drives at 80-85. The car has done 26,000 kms and he has FE records from the day he purchased the car.
Well, I can understand 29kmpl on highways, but expecting 24kmpl in city, even with the new Dzire which is currently the most fuel efficient car in India is way too optimistic. Please re-check the Ciaz thread if any of the owners claim above 20kmpl (Tank full to tank full measurement only) in the city.

Also, a lot depends on the traffic conditions and driving style, check if your friend is able to extract comparatively better mileage with your s-cross. I would say even 22kmpl is nothing short of phenomenal, which implies running costs lesser than a KTM 390.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 22:41   #8465
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
The figures mentioned here on FE are positive extremities. Take the same Ciaz on highway, drive it for fun and it won't touch the figure of 20 even. Driving style is crucial factor in FE.

Well if you are that concerned on FE, try to reach highest legally permissible speed on the road gradually and then lift your foot off 'A' peddle, let the car roll down (say speed limit minus 20 or 30 kmph). Here diesel car covers quite a distance without fuel consumption. Again take the car to a higher speed/ RPMs gradually and follow same rolling down without accelerator input procedure. This is the most effective way to increase FE. However, this could lead to problems, may be of safety related as one is preoccupied with FE & it could be annoying other drivers maintaining constant speed forced to overtake again and again. Also it kills the driving pleasure. Take care not to lug the engine.

Last edited by Sip : 27th April 2018 at 22:47.
Old 29th April 2018, 11:15   #8466
Distinguished - BHPian

Many S-Cross 1.6 owners wanted to use fully synthetic oil. But there is no synthetic option from Maruti officially for 1.6. We are getting mineral oil for 1.6 in India. S-Cross in foreign countries get fully synthetic 0W30 engine oil. I am posting the part numbers here, would be helpful for anyone who wants to source Genuine Suzuki oil for S-Cross .
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20180429111420955_com.miui.gallery.png  

Last edited by SDP : 29th April 2018 at 14:46. Reason: as requested
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 17:42   #8467
BHPian

I have a question for the knowledgeable members here who may have little birdies to help them with info.

Is there any possibility of the SCross getting a petrol engine at least by the end of this year. I would love to buy an SCross but have absolutely no need of a diesel engine with my average distance covered per year.

I will be in the market for a new car by the end of this year and the SCross is at the top of my list. If there are going to be delays in bringing in a petrol engine then I might as well start researching other options.
Old 30th April 2018, 18:58   #8468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmenon View Post
Is there any possibility of the SCross getting a petrol engine at least by the end of this year.
Heard of Ciaz and Ertiga getting the NEW petrol engine. I guess S Cross and Vitara Brezza will get the petrol variant in FY19.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 20:11   #8469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any possibility of the SCross getting a petrol engine at least by the end of this year. I would love to buy an SCross but have absolutely no need of a diesel engine with my average distance covered per year.
Is there a reason why you are forcing yourself for a petrol engine? One of the reason to go for a petrol engine in Cochin is the comparative price differential when compared to a similar spec diesel. Like the baleno petrol vs baleno diesel.

The other reason being the power delivery / NVH of petrol engines when compared to the diesel engines.

If you are happy with the current pricing of the s-cross diesel and if you are OK with power delivery / NVH , go for it.

I do not know what other cars you own, but looking at the traffic and since you mentioned less running, you will mostly be in the city. If that is the case, I would look at a car that offers an automatic option. Have you had a look at the verna petrol automatic ? Similar / better features, but of course not an crossover.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 20:59   #8470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Is there a reason why you are forcing yourself for a petrol engine? One of the reason to go for a petrol engine in Cochin is the comparative price differential when compared to a similar spec diesel. Like the baleno petrol vs baleno diesel.

The other reason being the power delivery / NVH of petrol engines when compared to the diesel engines.

If you are happy with the current pricing of the s-cross diesel and if you are OK with power delivery / NVH , go for it.

I do not know what other cars you own, but looking at the traffic and since you mentioned less running, you will mostly be in the city. If that is the case, I would look at a car that offers an automatic option. Have you had a look at the verna petrol automatic ? Similar / better features, but of course not an crossover.
Thanks for the suggestion. I currently have an Alto. Considering the price differential for petrol and diesel and my preference for the driving characteristics of a petrol is why I'm looking for a petrol car.

I need a high riding vehicle considering the difficulty my folks at home have in a low slung car ( brother has a Ciaz) .
Hence the SCross or a WRV are currently in consideration.
Need to check out the Ford Freestyle which though a smaller car, if it fits the seat height criteria would be perfect with its full complement of safety features.
I do have a budget issue with only the base Sigma 1.3 SCross fitting my budget.

A test drive of the SCross was comfortable for the folks at home hence the preference for it.

I tend to keep cars for a very long time 10+ years hence with the current vagaries of possible diesel bans I have another reason to be inclined towards petrol.
nmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 21:24   #8471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need a high riding vehicle considering the difficulty my folks at home have in a low slung car ( brother has a Ciaz) ..

This was one of the top reasons why I went to the s-cross when upgrading from the Ritz.

The other car that I considered but subsequently ruled out was the ecosport. Maybe you can give ecosport a try.

The s-cross 1.3 is a brilliant car and you would not regret it if you would choose it.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 23:18   #8472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
This was one of the top reasons why I went to the s-cross when upgrading from the Ritz.

The other car that I considered but subsequently ruled out was the ecosport. Maybe you can give ecosport a try.

The s-cross 1.3 is a brilliant car and you would not regret it if you would choose it.
We already have an EcoSport in the family and I have had the opportunity to drive the new one with the Dragon engine as well. Somehow I prefer a crossover to a pseudo SUV which the EcoSport is.
It just doesn't handle as well as the SCross does in my opinion.

So I now have to think long and hard. Go with a diesel and get the SCross or choose the WRV or if the Freestyle is acceptable to the family get a top end Freestyle with all the bells and whistles and those safety features.

Unless of course Maruti decides to be sensible and doesn't force me to compromise by releasing the SCross with a Petrol engine.

Last edited by nmenon : 30th April 2018 at 23:20. Reason: Changes
nmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 16:35   #8473
BHPian

Dear all,
I have all plans to buy s cross shortly. My monthly average running is around 1000 kilometers approximately.
With this limited nature of usage, what problems are supposed to be expected in maintaining the diesel s cross; technical advise in this regard from the forum is requested.
Thanks.
Old 1st May 2018, 17:36   #8474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuniswami View Post
Dear all,
I have all plans to buy s cross shortly. My monthly average running is around 1000 kilometers approximately.
With this limited nature of usage, what problems are supposed to be expected in maintaining the diesel s cross; technical advise in this regard from the forum is requested.
Thanks.
1- Follow the service intervals strictly
2- Use fuel from a reliable pump
3- Keep your eyes and ears open for any un-natural noises / behavior from the car
4- Buy extended warranty for the max duration available.

Do all of the above, need nothing else.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 14:32   #8475
Distinguished - BHPian

Good news for S-Cross 1.6 Owners :

I had mentioned here couple of weeks back about 30k km labour charges for 1.6. It was same as 1.3, but there was no EGR cleaning in 1.6. I had escalated it to different levels at Maruti. Today, I got confirmation from Maruti that they have appreciated my feedback and reduced the labour charge for 1.6 officially. It would cost around 1k lesser than 1.3 for 30k km / 90k km service.

Thanks to Mr. Pankaj for sharing the revised labour charges pic
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20180502_143822.jpg

I had escalated this to Maruti around 2 months back. They did take lot of time to rectify it. I have been told that it took time because this was discussed during revision of labour charges.

Initial post here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4343962

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 2nd May 2018 at 14:42.
Dr.Naren is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks