Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2018, 09:18   #8701
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnair View Post
With 4 on board and luggage, she really struggled up the hill. You have to use the first gear up any kind of slope. Really does deserve a much better engine to match the chassis.
On flats, she rides pretty well. Vehicle feels heavy and safe. I drive about 70 km a day (mix of highway and Chennai traffic) and she returns about 17 km/l.Cheers
I own the 1.6MJD and yes agreed its a bomb to drive. However, the lag issue is pretty much apparent on this engine in stock tune, and engaging gear 1 is very much necessary in steep conditions. I am surprised you face the same issue in the 1.3 s-cross. In comparison the swift hardly has lag.
Things are completely different after I got it tuned by 'wolf moto' and the engine producing 400+ Nm.
I would also like to know, if the rear passengers had any concerns like vertical movement or bouncy rear seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
That's the main problem with 1.3MJD. Turbo lag n more pronounced on hills.
I think its the state of tune issue, specific on the S-cross by Maruti. Swift 1.3MJD feels different, and does not feel as lethargic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Really? Do you mean from standstill on any kind of slope?
I have done more than 15K kms in the hills of Himachal Pradesh and I find your statement a bit exaggerated.
High altitude driving with full luggage, 5 people on board and more than half tank of fuel, gives this feeling on the S-cross. It has also to do with the engine tune and the tall gearing I suppose.
CaliforniaKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 10:22   #8702
BHPian

Quote:

I have done more than 15K kms in the hills of Himachal Pradesh and I find your statement a bit exaggerated.
Hey no exaggerations here.... Of course, I'm not saying its not possible, I did make the trip anyway. I have traveled these roads tonnes of times on other cars. But in this case, at full load, there definitely is a terrible strain on the engine. Especially when you are behind a slow moving truck and want to overtake or when you need to stop before a hair pin. Lets face it, there is definitely a need for more power and torque or I'd put it this way - A little more power or torque wouldn't harm anyone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
I own the 1.6MJD and yes agreed its a bomb to drive. However, the lag issue is pretty much apparent on this engine in stock tune, and engaging gear 1 is very much necessary in steep conditions. I am surprised you face the same issue in the 1.3 s-cross. In comparison the swift hardly has lag.
Things are completely different after I got it tuned by 'wolf moto' and the engine producing 400+ Nm.
I would also like to know, if the rear passengers had any concerns like vertical movement or bouncy rear seats?

I think its the state of tune issue, specific on the S-cross by Maruti. Swift 1.3MJD feels different, and does not feel as lethargic.

High altitude driving with full luggage, 5 people on board and more than half tank of fuel, gives this feeling on the S-cross. It has also to do with the engine tune and the tall gearing I suppose.
So its the same in in 1.6 as well? That's surprising! I've heard only good things about that one. I think the weight of the car matters a lot here. As mentioned many times before. The build quality of the S cross is definitely one of the best in the segment and the car does feel proper European in that respect.
There have been no major complaints from the rear seats. Most of the roads we traveled were pretty decent. So ride is pretty good. I have upsized to 225/R17s and that helps a lot too. With full load, I have not had any issues of bottoming out yet. That said, I also feel that its suspension setting and the overall height, make it one of the best handling cars in the segment. Body roll is minimum and the seats are actually pretty comfortable!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th December 2018 at 12:34. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 4th December 2018, 12:32   #8703
BHPian

Quote:
So its the same in in 1.6 as well? That's surprising! I've heard only good things about that one. I think the weight of the car matters a lot here.
Don't get me wrong, I am only quoting that the Turbo lag is evident. The vehicle has tons of power and torque even in its factory tune. It easily scares cars twice or thrice the price range.You just need to work on the gears and keep the engine on the boil
Old 7th December 2018, 15:11   #8704
BHPian

Is anyone using any OBD tool for Scross 1.3 on regular basis?
Old 9th December 2018, 09:36   #8705
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
That's the main problem with 1.3MJD. Turbo lag n more pronounced on hills.

But things should have been better for you after the Pete's remap. You can ask your tuner to provide a map with better lower end.
Quote:
Hi all

One place where I felt lagging was that it felt terribly under-powered during my recent trip from Mysore to Ooty. With 4 on board and luggage, she really struggled up the hill. You have to use the first gear up any kind of slope. Really does deserve a much better engine to match the chassis.

Cheers
Quote:

+1 Rishi. I recently drove to Kukke via sathyamangalam - Dhimbam - Madikeri & onward to Dharmasthala from Kukke with 4 adults & luggage and I found the performance reasonable.
Old 10th December 2018, 12:38   #8706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
+1 Rishi. I recently drove to Kukke via sathyamangalam - Dhimbam - Madikeri & onward to Dharmasthala from Kukke with 4 adults & luggage and I found the performance reasonable.
I would like to reiterate, I did finish the trip successfully!!! Dont get me wrong... S Cross is a lovely car! I am just highlighting a chink in the armor. This is a usual route for me and I have done it in different cars. So while it was extremely comfortable cruising from Chennai to Mysore and back from Ooty to Chennai, the uphills felt a tad bit lethargic. This is purely a subjective feeling and may vary from person to person. I am not claiming to be a professional but I would like to believe I'm a decent driver!!!
rnair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 22:20   #8707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Welcome to the club! This is most likely Gear Synchronizer issue. It happened to me on my Ertiga at 97K kms IIRC. I haven't faced it again after driving another 65K kms. I also heard the replacement rings have a design change due to which issue doesn't crop up again though not sure how far is this true.
I have driven around 400 kms inside city, I haven't seen the problem surface again. I am visiting the SC day after to get the car checked. I am really hoping it to be the rings as clutch is perfectly fine.

Can you share the costs involved? My Car is out of warranty.
Old 10th December 2018, 23:24   #8708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Is anyone using any OBD tool for Scross 1.3 on regular basis?
I have a scanguage II permanently connected to the OBD2 port, it was moved over from the erstwhile Ritz where it was doing duty.

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 23:52   #8709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So while it was extremely comfortable cruising from Chennai to Mysore and back from Ooty to Chennai, the uphills felt a tad bit lethargic.
The 1.3 and Scross is a terrible combination, it just isn't up to the task. It isn't up to the task in Ciaz either although it is a bit lighter. The 1.6 should have been standard on both vehicles.

I have no doubts it will post decent 0-100 figures and of course insane mileage as well, but driveability is poor, it's just too much work. You are being kind by saying lethargic.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 17:38   #8710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Rear shock absorbers (This under extended Warranty).
What was the reason for changing the shock absorbers? My car's rear suspension has become stiff of late, wondering if I can ask them to change the shock absorbers under warranty.

Thanks!
Old 12th December 2018, 08:01   #8711
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post
What was the reason for changing the shock absorbers? My car's rear suspension has become stiff of late, wondering if I can ask them to change the shock absorbers under warranty.

Thanks!
How many kilometres has your car covered? I have read in this forum itself on Swift’s suspension getting hard very fast and eventually breaking. Please go through the thread below if you already have not. Looks like it’s a Maruti ‘low quality’ trait.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post3211359 (Are my swift's Shock absorbers dead!!???)
Old 13th December 2018, 20:30   #8712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post

Thanks!
I have completed 60K. Even during my 50K service, I had complained about the rear suspension turned stiff and 'thud' noise / feeling can be easily felt in the rear. At 50K they did proper lubrication and then I continued. @60K service, I insisted to replace that as the stiffness became more evident.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 20:55   #8713
BHPian

Got 90KPMS done yesterday. The total bill came to 10,961/- including 20% discount on paid labor for service.

Issues reported:
  • 2nd and 4th gear slotting problem.
  • Hand brake needed adjustment.
  • After reading the Suspension thread, I got the shocks checked.

The issue with 2nd and 4th gear is not consistent it came up a day before service after couple of weeks when I first noticed it. Car refused to slot in reverse gear on the service floor, it took multiple attempts for the mechanic. They did clutch bleeding which according to them solved the problem. We went for a long TD and gears were slotting smoothly. I hinted them that it could be the rings, but they refused.

Engine oil used was Mobil 1 0W40. Front brake pads were replaced with OEM, rear pads were replaced last month with Dixcel pads. Car is back on road doing its duty. Have a long road trip coming up this month end which will see the Odometer cross 1,00,000 KMs.

Swapping tyres with Conti Mc5 this weekend, will use one of the JKs as spare.

Last edited by sinharishi : 13th December 2018 at 20:59.
sinharishi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 22:19   #8714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Swapping tyres with Conti Mc5 this weekend, will use one of the JKs as spare.
Interesting choice, why choose it over P3ST?
Old 15th December 2018, 15:20   #8715
BHPian

Just started exploring options for workhorse that we need for daily commute .
This vehicle would be used by my wife and it would be chauffer driven .
Hence Back seat confort is paramount .
Would like to check with fellow members on following :-
1. Is ride comfort on rear seat is segment best ? Which other car can it be compared to?
2. What's the average city mileage that you are getting in your daily commute ?
3. Is the maintenance high ? Approx yearly maintenance cost?
4. Any problem/surprises that we may face later so that we should be well prepared .
5. 15 year RC is exclusive to S-Cross as it's an hybrid (Key highlight shared by sales guy ) . Will it give me good resale value if I sell it after 3 years ?
6. Is top end variant over priced ? Does this price justify all the bells and whistles that come as part of the package ?
7. Which variant would you recommend ? Something that gives you most of the goodies at a decent price .
8. We would mostly use it for city driving . What according to you would be the next best alternative if we don't go ahead with S -Cross .

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks