Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:50   #8866
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

My 2016 DDiS 320 Alpha will complete 3 years this month. It has been an amazing experience all throughout the 76,000 kms driven.

Over the past 2000 kms or so, i am getting a banging noise from the rear suspension when going over potholes or speed breakers. It is more pronounced with a rear passenger than when I am driving alone or with front passenger. My initial thought was of something moving around in the boot. I emptied the boot and tested again. It is still there. It is not exactly a metal to metal sound, but kind of a muffled "THUD". Has anyone else experienced this? What could be the possible cause?

I am taking my car to MASS tomorrow but not very confident of their diagnosis. I mean, they do an amazing job of regular service and small repairs, but not sure of their ability or interest in troubleshooting more unconventional issues. We ll know when we try.

Another issue that might be related to this, but unlikely, is uneven tyre wear. My right rear is having excessive wear on the inside edge. As far as I know, there is no provision of adjusting rear suspension geometry. It is perfectly fixed and depends on the rear Semi-trailing arm setup right during manufacturing. Could it be because of damage to the suspension. A minor deformation of the arm or something of that sort? Rear tyre uneven wear is something of a mystery to be.

Last edited by srinitdas : 3rd September 2019 at 11:55. Reason: added information
srinitdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:06   #8867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinitdas View Post
Over the past 2000 kms or so, i am getting a banging noise from the rear suspension when going over potholes or speed breakers. It is more pronounced with a rear passenger than when I am driving alone or with front passenger. My initial thought was of something moving around in the boot. I emptied the boot and tested again. It is still there. It is not exactly a metal to metal sound, but kind of a muffled "THUD". Has anyone else experienced this? What could be the possible cause?
Very similar issue was found in my ertiga but way early in its life. It was metal to metal brushing sound when drove over uneven surface. I too had same belief of something loose. Ertiga has the spare wheel outside and thought of the metal bracket was making that sound. But all in all it was rear suspension sound. Mine is 2016 model and this issue was common in first batch erigas of 2013s. They replaced that suspension part under warranty and I had to pay 0 for it. It was having a cost of around 12K otherwise.
In your case it seems to be something similar. While showing it in showroom please ask them to move it over uneven surfaces and do mention about similar issues found in Ertigas.
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:53   #8868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Very similar issue was found in my ertiga but way early in its life. It was metal to metal brushing sound when drove over uneven surface.
This was to do with the rear suspension beam and had affected cars including Ertiga, Swift and Dzire where based on the VIN they would replace this part FOC under warranty. And yes, this was in 2013 but my Ertiga was from 2013 (Oct) and the VIN didn't figure in their recall program.

What I had learnt about this recall was that it was due to a bad design with welding on the rear suspension beam that would cause this unusual noise when going over rough or uneven surfaces.

Not sure if this can be the case with the S-Cross though because the reason mentioned in 2013 was a design issue but you never know if this can be the first case!!!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:10   #8869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4032396 (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review)
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 16:05   #8870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Another issue that might be related to this, but unlikely, is uneven tyre wear. My right rear is having excessive wear on the inside edge. As far as I know, there is no provision of adjusting rear suspension geometry. It is perfectly fixed and depends on the rear Semi-trailing arm setup right during manufacturing. Could it be because of damage to the suspension. A minor deformation of the arm or something of that sort? Rear tyre uneven wear is something of a mystery to be.
The thud is often caused by worn out bushes in the suspension which is quite expected considering your high running versus duration of ownership. However - since you are reporting what also seems to be a misaligned camber on the rear wheel - it might end up being a suspension problem that needs shock absorber replacement or the point mentioned by Eddy (quoting below) related with dead axle replacement. Good that you are visiting the A-S-S soon. You've already run 2000 odd kms with this status, avoid any further running before fixing this as much as possible. I presume you have not noticed any leaks of oil around the rear damper.

Last edited by Reinhard : 3rd September 2019 at 16:08.
Old 4th September 2019, 16:06   #8871
BHPian

I loved this car in its original avatar, then everyone criticised the plain looks and why it doesn’t look like every other similar car, and they went for typical SUV make over.

I find the first generation S-cross to be quite a looker, plain, simple and dignified because of that. I keep thinking about buying a 1.6 but then i am already keeping a Linea and guess this time i will go for reliability and service.
nandadevieast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 19:21   #8872
BHPian

Exactly after 1.5 years of purchasing my lovely S-Cross it crosses 50,000 mark. The car is smooth as it was on day one. No issues, no sounds nothing. And with the recent tyre upgrade to Michellin Primacy the ride quality has improved manifolds. I am in awe of this car totally and look forward to drive it every day. Meanwhile sent the car for its service today evening.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20190923-7.14.41-pm.jpeg  

rickygupta2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 21:37   #8873

Hello. I recently changed my wiper blades from company service centre. After 2 months it is not leaving a clean field after wiping. Lot of lines and water film remains and it cause visibility issues especially at night. I find oem part not up to mark. Has anybody tried other options. What are the specs.
drmadhuks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 22:36   #8874
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
21 months and 26,000 km:

The left side steering controls suddenly stopped working. The service center guys seemed to know what the problem was right away. They turned the steering by 90 degrees and voila - they started working again. Basically they were working at all positions except the default ones.

Contact Coil was diagnosed as faulty and was replaced under warranty.
This issue has resurfaced. Exactly the same symptoms. Will take the car to Nexa station again.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 23:25   #8875
Vmv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadhuks View Post
Hello. I recently changed my wiper blades from company service centre. After 2 months it is not leaving a clean field after wiping. Lot of lines and water film remains and it cause visibility issues especially at night. I find oem part not up to mark. Has anybody tried other options. What are the specs.
You can try Hella or Bosch wiper blades.
When it comes to wiper blades sometimes you need luck .

I have purchased Hella and OEM for my polo but both - not great after 2 months , it can be due to my daily maintenance and usage.

More you can search on
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...de-thread.html (The 'Wiper Blade' Thread)
Old 25th September 2019, 12:25   #8876

S Cross owners drive to Baba Budangiri to meet-up and share experiences.
All owners belong to different parts of Bengaluru . Initial meet-up point was Nelamangala and thereafter drive to Baba Budangiri and back, covering almost 600 kms (up and down).
Convoy of S Cross off-roading in the hills, amidst the greenery and beauty of nature was an amazing experience and got many heads turning as we cruised through the hills
Average FE was compared after reaching the hill top spot – The highest being 18.4 kmpl on a Pre-facelift and least was 14.4 kmpl on a 1.6L Pre-facelift. The face-lifted models managed between 16-18 kmpl. All cars cruised effortlessly on the hills and there seemed to be no show-stopper. During the drive, all members shared individual GPS location and overall it was well coordinated drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-1.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-2.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-3.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-4.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-5.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-7.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-8.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-9.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-10.jpg  

Nibir Mudai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 17:28   #8877
BHPian

Planning to Book S-Cross Zeta trim in Hyderabad.
What are the maximum discounts and deals available?
Or Should I wait till Diwali??
Will the prices drop or increase?

Please advice.
Thank you.
Old 4th October 2019, 15:55   #8878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadhuks View Post
Hello. I recently changed my wiper blades from company service centre. After 2 months it is not leaving a clean field after wiping..
I had been using Bosch ClearAdvantage frameless wiper blades (24" & 16" - not the stock size) and it lasted for almost a year. Then I changed it and fitted Michelin Rainforce 24,16 hybrid wiper blades bought from Amazon which were very costly compared to the ClearAdvantage ones. These wipers started screeching exactly after 2 weeks. Now I bought a pair of ClearAdvantage again and it's been almost 2 months. The wipers have been doing well till last week, but they also started screeching now. I did park outside under sun for entire day a couple of times, but the old Clear Advantage ones which lasted a year were exposed to sun more often.

My old car (Mahindra Quanto) which I used to park under similar conditions never had screeching issues with the wiper blades and the interval of changing wiper blades was once in a year.

What would be the issue? Will there be any issue with the wiper arms? Any suggestions!
Old 6th October 2019, 12:38   #8879
BHPian

Finished a Gurgaon - Jim Corbett - Delhi drive last week in my five month old SCross. There was another car (won't judge anybody's choice), but the SCross was the car of choice for comfort.

Absolutely comfortable drive across cities, highways, forest patches, torrential rivers. Archived a mileage of approx 31kmpl. And a tiny battle scar too... a nick on the front windshield. Let's see, how long it lasts.
arnavpaitandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 14:51   #8880
Senior - BHPian

I've clocked 6000 kms on the S Cross and I'm pretty satisfied with the car. The best thing is that there is oodles of space, especially at the back. I went to check out the Seltos and the S Cross seemed more spacious.

The ride quality at higher speeds is also very good. The Delta variant was a great buy. If I had waited another couple of months, I could have gotten a further 50k off , with the discounts being offered now.

I'd say , if you're looking for a compact SUV/ crossover and are okay with a BS4 engine, the S Cross should be on your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Planning to Book S-Cross Zeta trim in Hyderabad.
What are the maximum discounts and deals available?
Or Should I wait till Diwali??
Will the prices drop or increase?

Please advice.
Thank you.
The price of the S Cross was cut by Rs 5000 last week.
Then there's a cash discount of Rs 50,000 and a 5 year warranty being offered alongside an exchange bonus of Rs 30,000 and a corporate discount of Rs 10,000. Great deal!

Last edited by coolkurt : 6th October 2019 at 14:56.

Most Viewed