Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2015, 14:01   #976

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Went to the Dwarka Nexa to test drive the S-Cross. The goddamn place was overflowing. Came back disappointed because I was 10 in the waiting line for the TD.
Thanks for the information. Had initially planned to leg it to the same place today, but then decided against it this morning anticipating the weekend rush. In retrospect, a wise decision. Hopefully will do the TD next week.

My intentions for visiting are clearly 2 fold:
  1. Measure the boot space with an "Inchi Tape" to assess if it can accomodate 2 nos of 75 cms suitcases. I care hoots about the Nexa premiumness or the Ipad weilding saleoos.
  2. Do the TD to the 1.3 to push it to 110-120. Can only do it on the Noida Expressway.
Old 8th August 2015, 14:02   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Went to the Dwarka Nexa to test drive the S-Cross. The goddamn place was overflowing.
Thanks for letting us know, i stay in Dwarka sec 9 and was planning to visit with a friend who is interested in buying this car. Makes sense to wait till mon/tue and visit on a working day.

Since there is only Nexa for the whole of west Delhi, i would not be amazed if there are tons of people waiting to check it out. Overpriced or not, Maruti tag atleast brings people to showrooms to check out their cars.
Old 8th August 2015, 14:06   #978
Senior - BHPian

Visited the Nexa showroom on Musuem road since I was passing by.

The showroom is on lines of the big Germans . The insides have a premium feel to it and all the colors were displayed in a mix of 1.3 and 1.6. And yes there was a crowd ,the most I've seen in a car showroom.
I wanted a test drive in the 1.6 which was on a test already ,but the 1.3 was available right away.
Must say here,the customer service is way beyond what I've experienced in any other showroom. These guys go overboard in making sure you are not left alone. Few minutes that I was standing alone and a senior chap came and enquired if I was taken care of. The guy who was attending to me was always behind me,but not in a nagging way. I waited for not more than 15 minutes for the 1.6 test drive and the best part was when he said due to traffic, lets head out for any empty road that I want to. I was

Since cubbon road was opened recently next to the cricket stadium and that is one road I knew will be low on traffic and is wide and we'll paved.
It was a drive of 5 kms ,I didn't want to do more since it was pointless on a peak Saturday afternoon. Turbo lag is quite a huge lag, the wait is endless and there is a annoying lag or unresponsiveness after up shifting and flooring. This was when the engine is already in the turbo range. The push back when the turbo spins up is not that harsh, but yes it is pronounced and is fun.
City crawling is taken care of due to the torque. Although close to the torque figures of a XUV,it feels no where close to it,probably due to engine size. For example, in second ,I tried moving from almost standstill without any input,but the engine turned off and felt it again when it almost shut down. The brute torque is not there.,which is what I felt. It is just about adequate torque I would say.
Overall I liked the Nexa experience ,especially the point that the SA didn't push me for anything and was willing to do more ,but in a nice way.
I liked the car as well, its a simple no offence design,inside and out which I prefer and mainly spacious.

But I'm not in the market for a car, but just had to drive this car since it caught my fancy ever since I read about it.

Last edited by tharian : 8th August 2015 at 14:10.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 14:16   #979
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashok View Post
[*]Measure the boot space with an "Inchi Tape" to assess if it can accomodate 2 nos of 75 cms suitcases. I care hoots about the Nexa premiumness or the Ipad weilding saleoos.
I'd suggest that you carry the suitcases themselves (if lying empty) than the measuring tape. Will give you an exact estimate

The SM said that he may be able to arrange a TD at home (I live in Sector 3 Dwarka) late evening today. Let's see if that is possible though it looks unlikely to me !
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 14:56   #980
BHPian

Why didn't they get the 1.6 petrol Engine It would have had more than 100bhp/ton. And from reviews in the UK, it is very economical as well!( ~21 KmpL with CVT). This would have brought down the price rather drastically as that engine can be locally produced and would have been a really good option for people with lower running. Most importantly proper driving fun with that power and the free revving nature of the engine, at a significantly lower price :(

Last edited by Whichcarnow : 8th August 2015 at 15:01.
Old 8th August 2015, 15:21   #981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whichcarnow View Post
Why didn't they get the 1.6 petrol Engine It would have had more than 100bhp/ton. And from reviews in the UK, it is very economical as well!( ~21 KmpL with CVT). This would have brought down the price rather drastically as that engine can be locally produced and would have been a really good option for people with lower running. Most importantly proper driving fun with that power and the free revving nature of the engine, at a significantly lower price :(
Yes. I hope they get that engine in the upcoming Baleno atleast.

But I believe the reason to not give SCross a petrol heart is to have space to price their upcoming models.
Old 8th August 2015, 15:27   #982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whichcarnow View Post
Why didn't they get the 1.6 petrol Engine
My guess is because of the following:
  • Because of what happened to the Grand Vitara. Once bitten twice shy.
  • The Petrol engines sold on current CUV's available are more like 2-3% only.
Old 8th August 2015, 15:40   #983
BHPian

Nexa yet to open in Ahmedabad. But vehicles are available at kataria’s makarba showroom/service centre. Went there today.RM Ketan Prajapati had promised to arrange test drives of both the vehicles and he kept his word. Had gone there with a friend.

Details (1.6)

Only a short drive was available

A longer td will be available later (RM said in the evening)

Drove it through a mix of good/bad/ugly roads. Some huge potholes too
Couldn’t take it to typical city traffic. Was driving around the showroom

The clutch is very light

Didn’t feel much vibrations on the gear stick

Engine is pretty silent (maybe more than 1.3?)

Gear slots smoothly

Once in turbo zone the car is super fun. It just takes off. Didn’t find it to be unmanageable type as has been mentioned in posts here. This coming from a petrol guy whose only diesel experience is a ritz that too for just a few days. Yes, in city traffic it could be tricky

A smile was plastered on my face once the vehicle took off. Ditto with friend too. Pure madness, said my friend after driving the 1.6.
Even before turbo kicks in, it is manageable

Suspension is good, easily handled the rutted/potholed stretches

Good braking

Fit and finish is a notch below creta, especially the dash

Back seat space is more than creta, three people will be an easy fit
While in the back seat, it was difficult to digest the fact that I was sitting in a 15 lakh car though it was very comfortable

Smaller boot than creta

For 1.3, everything the same except the FUN part

Will go for a longer spin to see how it behaves at higher speeds and corners
sreepathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 15:50   #984
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Success depends on a lot of other factors as well- and not just the product. isn't this exactly what everyone wanted.
Agreed success depends on a lot of factors & "Price" is a big one at that. Yes the World is after mini SUVs I won't say crossovers, the later never fancy among Indians.Period.

Are all those ingredients sufficient to make a success ? Sorely Price is a big factor due to which the same giant could never really crack the lux segment.

Korean competition has it beat on looks too. The road ahead is gonna be tough for this car.
Old 8th August 2015, 16:12   #985
BHPian

I ask the RM at Nexa chennai for the on road price and he texts me to check my WhatsApp! See what I get. .

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20150808wa0009.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20150808wa0008.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20150808wa0007.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th August 2015 at 10:48. Reason: Correcting orientation of last snap.
sunsetorange is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 16:46   #986
BHPian

Chennai Nexa is functioning? I registered my name & number. Yet to get any call. Thought it is not opened yet.
Old 8th August 2015, 17:10   #987
Senior - BHPian

Chennai Nexa ( Ambattur) is functioning. There are 2 cars on display and a few RMs around. Went and saw the cars personally last week.
Old 8th August 2015, 17:15   #988

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I ask the RM at Nexa chennai for the on road price and he texts me to check my WhatsApp! See what I get. .
The 1.3 Zeta at 9.99 L nationwide ! Beautiful pricing move by Maruti. Even the Duster which sells and what Renault pushes is the RxL model priced at 9.9 L (albeit that is with just one Airbag). Thats the sweet spot getting the road tax advantage while maxing the manufacturer profits. I stand corrected for my earlier post saying the 1.3 Delta will fetch decent numbers. Its the Zeta I had got mixed up with.
nashok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 17:24   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
Chennai Nexa is functioning? I registered my name & number. Yet to get any call. Thought it is not opened yet.
It's open now! Khivraj motors are running the showroom at Ambattur. I saw the car a couple of weeks before at Vijaya Forum mall and gave my number.
Old 8th August 2015, 17:55   #990
BHPian

Went to Bimal Nexa and got my booking for the Alpha 1.6 cancelled. Had to write a mail to the RM asking for cancellation. Mentioned the reasons as well- ridiculous pricing of course. RM said that he would handover the cheque in a couple of days time. RM also said that they were facing a lot of cancellations for the 1.6 and were apprehensive of what they would do to the allotted 1.6. There were a lot of people in the showroom though and clearly 1.3 was the favourite. Zeta 1.3 had a lot of demand as per the RM.

I also took a brief TD of the 1.6 and at the end of it I was really disappointed that I had to cancel it. Maruti why this pricing? Started the car and boy it was pretty silent, much more than my Ertiga. Slotted into the first and started off. Clearly the turbo lag is evident and I felt it more than in my Ertiga. Also I found the vehicle to judder when I started from stand still in 2nd gear. Guess you need to start from stand still in the1st gear.

You take some time to reach the 1.8k rpm mark and then there is a surge of power. However the push back is not like what I expected it to be. It is a beast but I guess the good build masked the speed well. The insulation was good and I did not feel outside noise intruding as much; of course benchmark is my Ertiga and comparatively Ertiga is really noisy. The steering felt nice and weighed in with speed and was light at start and low speeds. Could not test the vehicle for ride quality and handling as I could only drive for a stretch of 3 KMs. Clearly the overall feel was a couple of notches higher than any other Maruti car I have driven. I felt the drive definitely better than the Creta though the lag was more in the Cross. A great car at crazy price. Pity that I had to cancel my booking.
nurni76 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks