Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2015, 18:23   #1156
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Not sure if my RM was correct, but he said only 2 S-Crosses were delivered by Bimal Nexa until yesterday.
Not sure of total number of deliveries done till now, but I am aware of two deliveries one on Monday and the other on Wednesday. Yes, those were for big shots and I heard later one was got into a minor accident.

Mine was the second delivery of my RM, seems all the formalities are completed and ready for delivery tomorrow.
Old 14th August 2015, 18:41   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
The next one - ROFL. It looked nothing like a 2015 car, looked outdated, and very very ordinary. This car is gonna depreciate fast, very very fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
"this does feel like an oversized hatch, say a larger Swift to compete with the Elite". It certainly doesnot command the Rs. 14 lac for the DDIS 320 top end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
a) The car felt like a big hatchback, I mean a BIG Hatchback. For easy understanding, we as customers should leave aside marketing jargons such as Premium Crossover, Compact SUV etc here.
With all due respect and looks being subjective, why don't we hear the same kind of comments for say, the Merc GLA200?! We have no qualms when a "premium" European car maker creates segments in the market to offer mini-SUVs, Crossovers (and what not!).

Let's give credit where its due - the S-Cross's claims are anything but marketing sham. Yes, the bigger engine demands an unreasonable premium and the outcome of that, perhaps, will show up in the stockyards anyway.

OT: I still remember how the humble Swift was made mockery of, only to go on to clock a decade of unparalleled success.

Last edited by pannags : 14th August 2015 at 18:43.
pannags is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 18:51   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
With all due respect and looks being subjective, why don't we hear the same kind of comments for say, the Merc GLA200?! We have no qualms when a "premium" European car maker creates segments in the market to offer mini-SUVs, Crossovers (and what not!).
Name ONE feature introduced by S-Cross 200, that was unavailable till date in an Indian car below 10L.
Fornax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 19:06   #1159
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Well yes, for 14 lacs you will end up paying about 1.25 lacs more in interest for 5 years term, the last I checked a year back the difference was about 3% between new and old, 13.5% for used cars and 10.5% for new. I think it is more about the new car and the used car which are strong opinions right across in all types of buyer profiles.

BTW a Yeti replacement has to be a real replacement, I am sure you will not sell the Yeti when buying a Cooper S , Evoque may be?
Zulfi. The trouble with you is that you are a man of taste. Unfortunately or fortunately, I believe, so am I.

I am actually what one might jocularly call "A gentleman of rank, with no money in the bank!".

So yes, the Range Rover Evoque for sure pushes all my buttons and I would love one. But at these prices in India? Not very likely. An used one in India fetches about the same price as a new one in the UK or US (converted). No way mate, not for me for sure. Unless I have some serious money to spend one day!
So the little Yeti that I own, it shall be, for my preferred choice of daily driver, for some time to come!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 19:10   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Name ONE feature introduced by S-Cross 200, that was unavailable till date in an Indian car below 10L.
Let me take the Zeta 200, which is 9.99 ex-factory - disk brakes on all wheels, cruise control, C2-class wheelbase, 185 mm GC (without appearing like the body is peculiarly mounted on the chasis), apart from the driving manners.

Of course, there are obvious things that could've been done better (the wheel cap inspired alloys, for instance), but these omissions do not take away the fundamentals of the car.

Hey, BTW I mean no offense to your disliking the S-Cross's looks I felt the brickbats were a little overused. Just my opinion.

Last edited by pannags : 14th August 2015 at 19:17.
pannags is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 20:00   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Zulfi. The trouble with you is that you are a man of taste. Unfortunately or fortunately, I believe, so am I.

I am actually what one might jocularly call "A gentleman of rank, with no money in the bank!".

So yes, the Range Rover Evoque for sure pushes all my buttons and I would love one. But at these prices in India? Not very likely. An used one in India fetches about the same price as a new one in the UK or US (converted). No way mate, not for me for sure. Unless I have some serious money to spend one day!
So the little Yeti that I own, it shall be, for my preferred choice of daily driver, for some time to come!
Oh tell me all about it, and the trouble is serious! Even I am of the same rank with no money in the Bank but then life is all about it. We both do seek the same values in a car, for sure, and may be many other things too. Looking at the prices in US or UK will never let you buy any car in India worth its salt, you already bought the one which was closest. And you never know, that time will come when a Evoque will evoke the right cords in you, some day it will all be just perfect.

I did see the S-Cross today at NEXA SBI Road [St. Marks Road], a friend was interested, well he liked the car. Could not take a TD, so he has booked it for Monday. Frankly it is a true MSIL car, special for them? Yes, but nothing great for me, I'd say mediocre. I am sticking to my guns, rather spend that 17 lacs [or even 20 lacs] on a pre-loved / owned German, or if the deal is really good why not an XC60.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 20:55   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Bi-xenon head lamps are available in the Alpha 1.3 and I don't think any car has offered them yet in this price bracket.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 21:33   #1163
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I am sticking to my guns, rather spend that 17 lacs [or even 20 lacs] on a pre-loved / owned German, or if the deal is really good why not an XC60.
Ah the XC 60 or XC 90. Lovely cars no doubt, as also the S60 and S80.
But sadly their pricing in India is just absolutely ridiculously high if considering a brand new purchase.
Old 14th August 2015, 23:37   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post

Let's give credit where its due - the S-Cross's claims are anything but marketing sham. Yes, the bigger engine demands an unreasonable premium and the outcome of that, perhaps, will show up in the stockyards anyway.

OT: I still remember how the humble Swift was made mockery of, only to go on to clock a decade of unparalleled success.
Looks are subjective is a big euphemism for ugly cars. No one says looks are subjective when they refer to Civic, Lancer Evo or a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. I see this caption "looks are subjective" only when we refer to Ritz/Getz/Innova/Qualis/S-ross etc. I think this has become a big cliche. And I'm bored stiff of this cliche. Time to call a spade a spade.

I will never understand how hard it is to call a car ugly. It's just a piece of metal, plastic, rubber etc.etc. We are not calling any person ugly. Now that will be a politically incorrect statement to call a person, any person, ugly. But cars? They are just a metal piece. They are not made by God. If this ugly car feedback reaches the manufacturer, may be next time they will design a better car. What all those who call this car bland mean is that how hard is it to design a good looking car. Is it a rocket science? I mean would it not have been better if this car had good looks too, in addition to other virtues that it has?

Someone above said Qualis was ugly but successful. Well that was in late 90s. Let Toyota launch Qualis again and see who buys, other than taxi owners. This is 2015. Should we keep manufacturing dumb looking cars? Besides Qualis had no competition ( Sumo being weaker and equally ugly looking car). Hatchback market is different. I request that person to come to my town and try to sell a Qualis and let me see who buys it now. Forget Qualis, if a guy sells a used Ritz today along with a same-condition used Swift then for every 2 enquiries Ritz gets, Swift will get at least 10 enquiries despite both having same engine and performance.

Lastly, I think it would have been ok if MUL had called S-Cross a hatch and sold at whatever price they wanted (after all we have 40 lakh rupee hatchces by Fiat and VW) but to call it a crossover? Hmmm... I tried my best to find a crossover in it but could not. There lies my grouse. Just my opinion. People may disagree and buy, That is ok. It is their money and their wish. I'm not questioning anyone's wisdom to buy this car. Whom am I to. I'm just questioning MUL's abilities or willingness at designing good looking cars. My tirade is against MUL and not S-Cross buyers.
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 00:08   #1165

Legged it to the Dwarka Nexa today with my little angel in tow - she provides valuable feedback and is my appointed expert on the back seat comfort. There were plenty of cars in stock so I had a look and chatted up the Sales guy. Could also manage a very short TD on the Scross 1.3 .

Quick Summary on the findings:
  1. The Zeta version had black fabric seats with circular designs. Didnt look too upmarket.
  2. Original Leather (?) Seat Covers are available as MGA for 24K Rs. Lower priced seat covers also available - I assume Leatherite.
  3. HID's are not offered as MGA's.
  4. Had a close look at the Boot. Would suffice my need of the Airport runs with the 2 nos 75cms Samsonites.
  5. All 4 colors offers look smashing. The Aussie Scross pic posted earlier in this forum is the Silver color offered.
  6. Claim of no of bookings done is close to 300 nos.
  7. Most bookings are for the 1.3 Zeta variant. The 1.6 variant bookings I assume stand close to zilch as the Sales guy didnt offer any information on this.
  8. The car looked smaller on the road than inside the showroom.
  9. I still find the looks understated and elegant.
  10. The dual front chrome grills seem borrowed from the same Honda City vendor
  11. Paint quality looks top notch.
  12. Build quality looks fantastic. Have never seen a Maruti this well built.
  13. Once inside the car, found the Dashboard width on the smaller side than I like - more in the league of Vento or Rapid
  14. The interiors still pleased me with small exceptions of the quality of plastic on the power window switches and the passable light and wiper stalks.
  15. The hornpad is small. Prefered to punch it rather than use fingers.
  16. The car has simply outstanding driving manners and inspired a lot of confidence.
  17. I could throw it around corners at sizeable speed with confidence
  18. Largish pot holes are completely dismissed with a mild thump and no discomfiture at all. The ride was absolutely flat. Suspension is on the firmer side seems to be in the same league or better than Duster/Terrano.
  19. Clutch is very soft and a pleasure to drive
  20. Gear changes slot extremely well but there is a rubbery feeling.
  21. Contrary to some of the reviews here, I found the car sluggish at low speeds
  22. Once past the 2000 Rpm, there is a mild kick of the turbo
  23. The engine has already been well tuned to handle low speeds. However, the linear acceleration experienced at low speeds on the Duster/Terrano 85bhp was far superior.
  24. My little angel complained of the Rear seat headrest causing pain ! She had to slouch to avoid the headrest. Will need to enquire if the headrest can be removed totally, else this is a serious issue.

The TD left me with a distinct impression that this car would be absolutely explosive with the 1.6 engine, or even a decent petrol engine. The lust for acceleration with the driving manners of this car made me want more. This is certainly a very capable car.
nashok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 00:40   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Not sure if my RM was correct, but he said only 2 S-Crosses were delivered by Bimal Nexa until yesterday. Even though the vehicles were allotted already, they seem to wait for the RTO formalities and stuff before they start full on deliveries. Looks like the deliveries made till now were for big-shots who had a lot of influence and can afford to drive around even without competing the registration formalities. In fact I saw one White 1.6 S-Cross in the ORR near K R Puram and I guess that was one of thee two delivered by Bimal. My RM told about a big shot in Mahadevapura who wanted a white top end ASAP and he was the first to get the delivery. I was told that he owns the property where the Nexa showroom is.
And I am the third one
Though I am no way influential. Yes the RTO approvals actually delayed the overall delivery process, but I have got mine after registration. There are a lot of zeta's to be delivered next week. I saw most of the cars in the stockyard were zeta 200 during my PDI.

I won't talk much, but would like to say that "It's a big hatch with SUV capabilities".
sou_3749 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 00:51   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Looks are subjective is a big euphemism for ugly cars. No one says looks are subjective when they refer to Civic, Lancer Evo or a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. I see this caption "looks are subjective" only when we refer to Ritz/Getz/Innova/Qualis/S-ross etc. I think this has become a big cliche. And I'm bored stiff of this cliche. Time to call a spade a spade.
The reason why folks say looks are subjective, is because there are takers for a few cars that most might deem ugly. I for one, believe that the shoulder line and large headlamps coupled with the stance, offers the S-Cross an understated yet strong character. I personally like the way it looks (ugly wheels apart which you will find, no one claims the looks to be subjective of) especially when compared to the Creta, which like most Hyundai designs, I find to be too predictable and boring.

Quote:
Someone above said Qualis was ugly but successful. Well that was in late 90s. Let Toyota launch Qualis again and see who buys, other than taxi owners. This is 2015. Should we keep manufacturing dumb looking cars? Besides Qualis had no competition ( Sumo being weaker and equally ugly looking car). Hatchback market is different. I request that person to come to my town and try to sell a Qualis and let me see who buys it now. Forget Qualis, if a guy sells a used Ritz today along with a same-condition used Swift then for every 2 enquiries Ritz gets, Swift will get at least 10 enquiries despite both having same engine and performance.
Uhh they are already selling a car like that and it is called the Innova. The car has even got uglier with that stupid grille and added reflectors. BTW, no one cares which town you're in, a Qualis, even today with newer competition, commands a very high resale value and remains a very sort-after car.

Quote:
Lastly, I think it would have been ok if MUL had called S-Cross a hatch and sold at whatever price they wanted (after all we have 40 lakh rupee hatchces by Fiat and VW) but to call it a crossover? Hmmm... I tried my best to find a crossover in it but could not. There lies my grouse. Just my opinion. People may disagree and buy, That is ok. It is their money and their wish. I'm not questioning anyone's wisdom to buy this car. Whom am I to. I'm just questioning MUL's abilities or willingness at designing good looking cars. My tirade is against MUL and not S-Cross buyers.
You really did try your best? Perhaps you need to try again. The S-Cross tackles bad terrain like you would expect any SUV to, and offers the ride quality and dynamic capabilities that you would expect from a sedan. Infact I would call it more of a crossover than the Creta which has the same rough-road-ability but doesn't match up in terms of dynamic abilities. (you see the S-Cross truly blends the two personalities thus deserving the "crossover" title)

Perhaps it is time to quit ranting so much. We must all remember to try not to degrade the quality of a moderated forum such as ours, and we could start with a little more maturity and understanding as automobile enthusiasts.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 15th August 2015 at 00:57.
IshaanIan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 01:07   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
You are right Formax, the following features were available in one car or the other. In fact there is not a single feature that S-Cross introduced to the market.
  • HID Projectors + LED DRLs
  • Auto headlamp + wipers
  • 4 wheel disc brakes
  • Cruise Control
  • Soft touch dashboard
  • Functional roofrails
But, can you name ONE car in the price range of S-Cross DDiS 200 that offers ALL of these?? I, for sure, do not know of any. Please let the forum know if you know of any one car.

Even otherwise, how does it matter?? Do we measure the novelty and utility of a car by the number of NEW features it offers?? I find this more in line of an argument than a meaningful discussion.
Vigkey is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 02:33   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Guys why so much hatred towards the S cross?

Agreed that Maruti skimped on quiet a few things like rear A/c vents/6 airbags/ESP and gave it bogus looking alloys but look at the pricing of the DDIS 200 and then consider the value it offers. Regarding looks being subjective. Well, honestly I like the way the S cross looks and as rightly said by Ishaan it is an understated design which makes it look more european than japanese. It has a good stance and proportions. It may look boring to some but i doubt it offends anyone.

S cross is a product that offers features from different cars in the C2 segment in one common package with Maruti network and excellent pricing(DDIS 200).

The S cross in no way is your everyday hatchback and does have off roading capabilities. The S cross is sold in other countries with a smart all wheel drive system which comes with terrain management. Maruti might plan to add this later in the future just like renault did with the duster. The problem is many suspect the product to flop even before it has completed its first month. Why not give MSIL a chance to prove themselves and wait for next 2-3 months to see the market response which uptil now looks pretty good.

And no, repeating again i am not on suzuki payroll just felt that a good product deserves a chance in our tough indian market.
rockporiom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 03:47   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for this - its quite refreshing to see someone not be bothered by political correctness in this age.

I also wonder why we exhibit this political correctness and paranoid pussy-footing around calling a vehicle out for what it is. Its not like the car will need to visit a shrink to deal with the depression following such name-calling.

I do not see anything wrong with calling an ugly or plain looking automobile exactly what it is. We are an auto-forum, discussing automobiles - not the parliament discussing religious/ethnic/linguistic/any other -ic group that may feel offended.
Steeroid is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks