Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2015, 17:10   #1186
BHPian

An expensive experiment

My two cents:

1. S cross may be a crossover, but just looks like any big hatch.

2. I wonder if a company uses words like premium in the ads: people would start believing it be one. Customer is an intelligent. Of all companies, Maruti should know this.

For a car to be premium, it has to have certain qualities

A. Latest design.
B. Premium options. Something like AT. It should have all mechanical features as option from the word go.

For a car to call itself as crossover, it should have:
A. Decent Ground clearance
B. Optional 4X4
C. Other real premium features like variable suspension, low gear ratios, etc.

I feel s-cross to be the neither. It is just like any other usual Maruti.

A vehicle that is big, could be premium. Or the one with loads of features. I feel Maruti has missed it this time. Creta - launched at same time - has the road presence and basic options as AT.

S cross, for nearly 13 lacs is neither a sports car, nor a crossover.

It's just a dated old styled hatch, a wee longer than 4 meters (that calls for extra excise and expensive imported diesel engine). So Maruti is desperately calling it premium sports crossover. And the company feels that slick advertising can sell it. What Maruti has to realise is that Indian customer is a very different customer. You have to produce a winner. In all departments. Otherwise, its not gonna sell.

Hopefully, they realise this sooner. And do not make these same mistakes again. Next time it launches a premium car. It better be one. From the day one:
-Bigger engine
-Big size

All features that make a vehicle a premium sports-crossover. They have cracked the Value offering formula. They can't use this same formula in a different segment. They will have to look up to Germans or even Hyundai to crack this formula. They will have to make it grounds-up, specially for India. It is highly un-likely that I dian public for fall for an dated European offering just because it is a Maruti.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 15th August 2015 at 17:26.
wanderhermit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 17:30   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
I feel s cross neither a value proposition. Like a usual Maruti nor a premium cross over.
I agree that they should offer an automatic and with changing trends, I am dead certain that the company will be working on offering an AT option. Afterall, they were the first ones to bring an automatic to an affordable hatchback. Now if they offer AWD, what is the guarantee that people will buy it? Based on most people's requirements, it is certainly not needed.

If you want to bend the rules of being premium to your preference, that is upto you, however I will once again point out that the S-Cross offers much better lighting in the form of HID bi-xenons that most D-segment sedans built as CBUs or CKDs even don't offer, soft touch plastics making the car "feel" a whole lot better on the inside, cruise control, all wheel discs and mature european like ride quality and dynamic ability (these are cars afterall, since when did dynamic capabilities of a car's chassis become so irrelevant?) there are several more factors the S-Cross brings to the table to justify why folks might call it premium when compared to other cars in the price-point, however I have only listed the features it holds above the Creta. Im not degrading the Creta in any way; if you are on the lookout for an automatic or in the need of more advanced safety options, then sure the car is a good buy. However I don't think MUL has to look up to anybody and the sales figures and eventual resale value will confirm that.

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2015 at 13:39. Reason: Last line really isn't required
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 17:42   #1188
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
Personally I am a fan of simple colours and went for granite gray which turns out to be blackish at night. Not sure but gray, silver and white suits better to s-cross.
The Premium Silver looks lovely indeed. I liked that best. Add to this, the fact that Silver is relatively easier to maintain, does not attract too much attention and does not show scratches and dust and muck as much as the darker colours do.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 18:43   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Premium Silver looks lovely indeed. I liked that best. Add to this, the fact that Silver is relatively easier to maintain, does not attract too much attention and does not show scratches and dust and muck as much as the darker colours do.
Have not personally seen that shade on the S-Cross, but if it is the same Premium Silver as offered on the Kizashi, I can tell you that yes, while it looks absolutely smashing with tasteful amounts of contrast, shine and metallic flakes, the paint is in no way easy to maintain. Bird poo and dead insects must be wiped off immediately after a road trip because the paint stains very easily, the slightest brush against your car will leave scratches so swirl marks from the local cleaner and other scratches from friends leaning against your car are easily made and cost of repainting panels in this shade is quite a bit more expensive than I was expecting. No complaints at all, still love the shade but just saying; isnt as easy to maintain as one might suspect Infact this remains my biggest grouse with my car (though I would still choose the same colour if given another chance )

Last edited by IshaanIan : 15th August 2015 at 18:51.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 19:37   #1190
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Have not personally seen that shade on the S-Cross, but if it is the same Premium Silver as offered on the Kizashi, I can tell you that yes, while it looks absolutely smashing with tasteful amounts of contrast, shine and metallic flakes, the paint is in no way easy to maintain.
The Silver is similar to what was offered in the Kizashi.

All this while the Silver never featured in my options list other than Blue and Brown but the day I saw the Silver in flesh @ NEXA showroom, the blue was thrown off my list of colour choices for the S-Cross.

It looks beautiful in every angle I see it and I would be the only one who loves the S-Cross looks. May it reflects as I have had a history to buy bad looking cars (Ritz ).
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 20:04   #1191
Team-BHP Support

In my eyes, blue is the worst colour on S-Cross followed by brown.

Silver indeed looks best. I am surprised they didn't launch it in black though.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 20:10   #1192
BHPian

Re: An expensive experiment

Quote:

2. I wonder if a company uses words like premium in the ads: people would start believing it be one. Customer is an intelligent. Of all companies, Maruti should know this.

A. Latest design.
B. Premium options. Something like AT. It should have all mechanical features as option from the word go.

B. Optional 4X4

A vehicle that is big, could be premium. Or the one with loads of features. I feel Maruti has missed it this time. Creta - launched at same time - has the road presence and basic options as AT.

1.3 varient of this car is descently priced and have plenty of good features. What this car offers is planted ride, good quality interiors and above average list of features its just the 1.6 option that is grossly over priced.

Also we need to understand that 'Premium' word is being overused by Maruti to pull the crowds and highlight that this aint their average built product.

About the looks, well there is no defined formula. If there was one perfect design, all other manufacturers would go bankrupt and the one with 'perfect' design would flourish. Each individual is different and have different tastes. What maybe ugly for one maybe beautiful for another.
Abhi99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 20:40   #1193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My two cents:

1. S cross may be a crossover, but just looks like any big hatch.

I hope your two cents are coming after the test drive of the car.

Majority customer are not intelligent. If they can believe that Creata is SUV, they will believe in anything.

Quote:

A. Latest design.

B. Optional 4X4
This is 2013 design, not old by any standard. AWD is a feature that should be provided from beginning. I hope this will be added in a year or two.

This is a crossover and not a SUV and features mentioned in point C are for SUV

Quote:

Again, I feel you did the test drive before saying that S cross is neither. I still have to do the TD and will reserve my comments till TD is completed.

S cross has loads of features, if not 'all' the features. Creta has 'basic' options like AT but what all features does an Automatic Creta has? Also Hyundai is calling this car an SUV. It is a soft-roader at best. i also feel that Creata is a mini Santa-Fe, a relatively failure by Hyundai. I mean, I will not even notice a Santa Fe if it is parked next to a Fotuner, Endeavor or Pajero Sport.

Quote:

It's just a dated old styled hatch, a wee longer than 4 meters (that calls for extra excise and expensive imported diesel engine). So Maruti is desperately calling it premium sports crossover. And the company feels that slick advertising can sell it. What Maruti has to realise is that Indian customer is a very different customer. You have to produce a winner. In all departments. Otherwise, its not gonna sell.
It is a crossover and their is no doubt about it in my mind, you may not agree based on your own observations. But I do not see any sports car in Indian market that comes at 26 L, leave alone 13L.

It may not sell at all, but I believe that this car has one of the best engines and road manners based on many comments here.

Quote:
Hopefully, they realise this sooner. And do not make these same mistakes again. Next time it launches a premium car. It better be one. From the day one:
-Bigger engine
-Big size

All features that make a vehicle a premium sports-crossover. They have cracked the Value offering formula. They can't use this same formula in a different segment. They will have to look up to Germans or even Hyundai to crack this formula. They will have to make it grounds-up, specially for India. It is highly un-likely that I dian public for fall for an dated European offering just because it is a Maruti.
It has bigger engine (in fact biggest than the competitors), and it has fairly large size.

Maruti shall realize that Indian market is not mature enough for such a product. Indians have a history of falling to dated European or international offering so nothing wrong in expecting a vehicle to succeed here which is all praise elsewhere. I think it is not justified to write off any car just because it is a Maruti.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 21:33   #1194
BHPian

According to me Suzuki S-cross is a dead on arrival. Starting onroad price(Bangalore) is 10+ lacs (1.3 liter 89bhp 5 speed manual) and the highest end is 17+ lacs(1.6L 118bhp 6 speed manual) for a 2 wheel drive for 5 seater car. It does not even an AC vent for the rear passengers. No mobile phone holder anywhere.

Why should some one buy this over Jazz(7-9 lacs) or i20 or duster or terrano or creta or yeti or xuv or innova or Corolla or Elantra?

Suzuki got this all wrong. Wait for discounts to come in 6 months !
Tommie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 21:39   #1195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
According to me Suzuki S-cross is a dead on arrival.
Did you TD the car and hence the comment ? or just going by seeing the spec on paper, just like many here with such comments.

OT- Never meant to thank you, but pressed the button by mistake

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th August 2015 at 21:41.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 21:47   #1196
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Have not personally seen that shade on the S-Cross, but if it is the same Premium Silver as offered on the Kizashi, I can tell you that yes, while it looks absolutely smashing with tasteful amounts of contrast, shine and metallic flakes, the paint is in no way easy to maintain. Bird poo and dead insects must be wiped off immediately after a road trip because the paint stains very easily, the slightest brush against your car will leave scratches so swirl marks from the local cleaner and other scratches from friends leaning against your car are easily made and cost of repainting panels in this shade is quite a bit more expensive than I was expecting. No complaints at all, still love the shade but just saying; isnt as easy to maintain as one might suspect Infact this remains my biggest grouse with my car (though I would still choose the same colour if given another chance )
I am surprised. To me it always felt that all these dark colours and metallic shades were tougher to maintain against swirl marks and scratches and so on. My Silver Yeti, looks brand new even after four years of use. And the funny thing is that I have it washed once in two weeks or more. Never oftener!
Old 15th August 2015, 21:54   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi99 View Post
1.3 varient of this car is descently priced and have plenty of good features. What this car offers is planted ride, good quality interiors and above average list of features its just the 1.6 option that is grossly over priced.
I can confirm these facts.
Since it is a maruti after all how can we forget about FE. Well took it for a 150km drive with 4 adults and a kid on board. With AC on all the time and roads not so open, the FE was 21.2 Km/l. Speed was kept between 80-110 with occasional use of cruise control.

Can Creta beat that
Sorry to bring the comparison. But when majority is bashing the car without even giving it a chance, we have to bring the strong points. Only the long term ownership will tell.

Last edited by sou_3749 : 15th August 2015 at 22:13.
sou_3749 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 22:22   #1198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
In my eyes, blue is the worst colour on S-Cross followed by brown.

Silver indeed looks best. I am surprised they didn't launch it in black though.
Yeah the blue and brown actually ruin the looks a lot. Looks less premium in these 2 colours.

The prmium silver followed by Granite grey look the best.

The silver one looks way too good. It's a much darker silver than regular silver we see and that really stands out.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 22:34   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am surprised. To me it always felt that all these dark colours and metallic shades were tougher to maintain against swirl marks and scratches and so on. My Silver Yeti, looks brand new even after four years of use. And the funny thing is that I have it washed once in two weeks or more. Never oftener!
Yeah most darker shades are tough to maintain but so is the Premium Silver which is also a highly metallic paint. Usually silver is easier to maintain but this is not your regular silver paint job. Sure it is a looker and like I said I have absolutely no regrets buying the Kiz in this shade. It is much more visually striking than the usual silver, but my car needs regular detailing to look fresh and if left unattended to for even a week, the car looks shabby.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 15th August 2015 at 22:38.
Old 15th August 2015, 22:36   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
You are right Formax, the following features were available in one car or the other. In fact there is not a single feature that S-Cross introduced to the market.
Do we measure the novelty and utility of a car by the number of NEW features it offers?? I find this more in line of an argument than a meaningful discussion.
Heres a "missing on S-Cross"feature list for you
  • Electric Sunroof
  • Automatic Gearbox
  • Curtain Airbags
  • Rear AC Vents
  • Tyre Pressure Monitoring
  • Ventilated Seats
  • AWD
  • Phone conn for MID
    ...etc

Most of the features you mentioned as premium, are nothing more than a couple of hours at a AX shop. ...and by the way, thanks for not mentioning the illuminated glovebox and bottle holders.

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2015 at 14:43. Reason: DO NOT question the integrity of fellow members. First warning
Fornax is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks