• Automatic Gearbox
  • Curtain Airbags
  • Rear AC Vents
  • Tyre Pressure Monitoring
  • Ventilated Seats
  • AWD
  • Phone conn for MID
    ...etc

Most of the features you mentioned as premium, are nothing more than a couple of hours at a AX shop. ...and by the way, thanks for not mentioning the illuminated glovebox and bottle holders.
You really don't seem to have got his point do you? Also, none of the features mentioned by VigKey apart from the roof rails, are gained by "a couple of hours at a AX shop". They are all frightfully expensive features as well if you were to go the aftermarket route. I see you own an Innova; a lot more can be said against that car as well from your standpoint . Anyway, don't want to start a war here about features because that is an endless parameter that folks can go on and on listing

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2015 at 14:44. Reason: Quoted post edited
IshaanIan is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 23:12   #1202
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Heres a "missing on S-Cross"feature list for you
  • Electric Sunroof
  • Automatic Gearbox
  • Curtain Airbags
  • Rear AC Vents
  • Ventilated Seats
  • AWD
  • Phone conn for MID
    ...etc
Thanks for letting us know what's missing on the S-cross but I'm not sure what the point of this post is? I can list even more features that are not in the S-cross or in any car in this segment.

So which car in 15 lakhs bracket has TPMS, ventilated seats? Some of these features like sunroof, rear AC vents are in the Honda City and some of them in Ecosport but not one car has all of them.

No car is loaded with everything and even if it is there's some other issues like reliability, example XUV5OO.

If we are mentioning features missing then why not add the following:

1. Hybrid engine
2. Knee airbags
3. LED headlights that bend with steering input
4. electric seats with memory
5. ESP
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 23:22   #1203
BANNED

Quote:

Most of the features you mentioned as premium, are nothing more than a couple of hours at a AX shop.
Why are you getting so sarcastic and I find no need to loathe car at all.

Looking at your posts in the thread (see below):

You ain't interested in buying it anyway so why get hyper and list all features that the S-Cross?! None of the posts are worthy or meaningful or contributing to the discussion going around.

You plainly hate the car and for many out here the S-Cross is premium in many ways except for the Looks (as many have pointed out). I am happy that Maruti have given good lot of features and not skipped any safety equipment.

If you are a prospective customer of the car then go on with a healthy discussion rather than acting strange. Sorry but I had to type this after seeing your repeated posts on the same subject.

Any BHPian/customer will research and look at the +ve's and -ve's before investing their money on any car and what posts you see on this thread show that they are prospective customer or some who have booked the car. No one comments just for the sake of increasing their post counts.

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2015 at 14:45. Reason: Quoted post edited
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 23:24   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
  • Electric Sunroof
  • Automatic Gearbox
  • Curtain Airbags
  • Rear AC Vents
  • Ventilated Seats
  • AWD
  • Phone conn for MID
    ...etc
Oh Yes Fornax, in addition to this, S-Cross does not have many other features. Moderator Vidyut has helped us by listing some of them and I do not want to elaborate further. But let me tell you something - No one here is getting the point you are trying to make. List one car which has at leats of the features you have listed above and comes at the price of S-Cross DDiS 200??

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2015 at 14:45. Reason: Quoted post edited
Vigkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 23:45   #1205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why are you getting so sarcastic and I find no need to loathe car at all.

You plainly hate the car and for many out here the S-Cross is premium in many ways except for the Looks (as many have pointed out). I am happy that Maruti have given good lot of features and not skipped any safety equipment.

If you are a prospective customer of the car then go on with a healthy discussion rather than acting strange. Sorry but I had to type this after seeing your repeated posts on the same subject.
I agree. If we really look at what each car doesn't come with, it will be a never ending list. When the 18L Rupee Innova doesn't come close to the equipment list of the S-Cross, its definitely not a right thing again to term the innova to be a not so worthy product or bash it up. Each car has its own purpose/character on which it is built. I cannot bring in an 8 seated MPV with a 5 seater crossover and then see what features it offers.

Personally, I feel that everything but the price is a commendable job done by MS. They did work on some good features which were never heard of in a Maruti, since the products were never feature rich compared to the Germans or Hyundai.

Secondly, I am one of the few who like the looks. The reason is - I don't want a small sized car that tries to look like an SUV. If I am wanting the status factor of an SUV, I will always buy a full sized car and enjoy its actual capabilities and feel. These compact SUVs are never my cup of tea. Instead the S cross is of decent size, not too big nor too small. Gives the feel of a bigger hatch, and not a small car perched high(read creta) just to make you get an SUV driving position.

Hence I feel that it's okay for people to not like the looks, since its after all their personal taste, and in that process, leave the few people who are okay with the looks to themselves, since anyways the looks are keeping you people away from buying it. Let the people who have brought the car enjoy the experience(haven't brought this one nor having plans to buy one, just not dampening prospective owners spirits by involving in unnecessary criticism)

And regarding the background of the posters, just to make sure there are no employees of MS or Nexa, I am an R&D engineer working for a German auto major, and yeah I own a couple of Marutis at home too So I can always get to choose on which side I would be.

Last edited by audioholic : 15th August 2015 at 23:51.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 00:00   #1206
BANNED

Fornax, if you hate scross and sold to creta, why you are brooding over this thread? Let this be a healthy discussion.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 00:17   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Thank you for this - its quite refreshing to see someone not be bothered by political correctness in this age.

I also wonder why we exhibit this political correctness and paranoid pussy-footing around calling a vehicle out for what it is. Its not like the car will need to visit a shrink to deal with the depression following such name-calling.

I do not see anything wrong with calling an ugly or plain looking automobile exactly what it is. We are an auto-forum, discussing automobiles - not the parliament discussing religious/ethnic/linguistic/any other -ic group that may feel offended.
Thanks a ton Steeroid for stickin' up for me. We seem to be in minority here and looks like any time soon, moderator's axe will fall on our posts. But that said, I'm still surprised why people get so offended when all we are doing is criticising MUL and not the buyers. I mean would the buyers not have been more happy if this car had stunning looks too, to match other virtues? But got to admit the car is overpriced by couple of lakhs for all that it offers. My biggest worry was/is that if such cars succeed, we will see more and more ungainly cars.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 01:18   #1208
BHPian

Funny, damn if you do, damned if you dont.

All my posts on this thread are as an ex-Owner of SX4 1.6 VVT Petrol, which I drove around at 7kmpl (that means pinned back to my seat most of the time). I would NEVER downgrade to SCross.

Since the SX4 was launched in 2005/6, most manufacturers have been busy adding features to Indian cars and when the 2015 SCross was announced (+ its premium badging) I like many others were upbeat about something outstanding hitting our shores. Has it? No way! My other posts speak about the contraption that has been launched instead.

Now, for a buyer having nothing to do with SX4, sure, it might seem awesome. Buy it if you genuinely believe its a great car, dont let mine or anyone else's critique dissuade you. I have seen R***** K******* criticise Ertiga at every opportunity, has it stopped the car from becoming a best seller? No! But outright intolerance of criticism or even personal comments about something as unrelated as my Innova is ridiculous (BTW, GTO says this about the Innova captain seats "Am a huge fan of the captain seat version and insist that it remains the best way to be chauffeur-driven around, this side of the E-Class.").

Vid, your list is derisionary, but mine is limited to ones found in similiarly priced car in India.

Others, I didnt read most of what you wrote, just sensed a lot of prejudice and bias, and did what others would do too - ignored it.

PS: The Official review ended on the first page itself, the comments are neither official nor meant to be a one-way affair.

PPS: Thanks to those who took the pain in going through my history and timeline. Bet you overlooked my SX4 ownership thread.

Last edited by Fornax : 16th August 2015 at 01:28.
Fornax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 01:49   #1209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would NEVER downgrade to SCross. .
Why is it a downgrade?

Newer generation, a lot more features, an explosive engine, and a minimum of 15 kmpl while you are pushing it.

PS- Unlike the SX4 that was made into a sedan just for the Chinese and Indian markets, the S-Cross is more like it.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 02:42   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why is it a downgrade?

Newer generation, a lot more features, an explosive engine, and a minimum of 15 kmpl while you are pushing it.
Besides the lack of boot, my deal-breakers are a) Lack of petrol option, b) Almost identical interiors of Ciaz, which I'd disliked the second I stepped in and c) Black Interiors especially when films are banned and the ban strictly enforced. (My SX4 had Garware 70 front/back and 50 on sides).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
PS- Unlike the SX4 that was made into a sedan just for the Chinese and Indian markets, the S-Cross is more like it.
Yes, but the SCross that has made it to India is a seriously downgraded version of the real thing. The supposed top end version misses CVT, 1.6L Petrol, Panoramic Sun-Roof, AWD and other luxuries offered elsewhere. In its current state it belongs to its usual sales channel, and its at-par version marketed through Nexa.

Last edited by Fornax : 16th August 2015 at 02:56.
Old 16th August 2015, 03:26   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxax View Post
Exactly what went through my mind when I heard the pricing. Time to visit NEXA and cancel my 1.6 Alpha booking. My two cents, shared this evening...

"Another fine example of pricing being decided by Engineers and Accountants, agreed by the Managing Director. I wish the NEXA Marketing team best of luck. This is going to be a tough cookie to sell."

As a marketer myself, I empathize with the team, but if they have done this to themselves, then they've been smoking some really weird stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
Yes, I completely agree with you. The only reason I have not cancelled my booking (originally wanted to go for the 320) is because the DDiS200 Zeta suddenly looks like a good buy. The car would cost 1L more than the top end diesel Jazz that i had booked earlier, and that is perfectly fine.

I wish the car is not sluggish, will get to know with a TD.
Last Saturday Me, wife and our two friends test drove both the 1.6 and 13 ltr variants of the Suzuki S-Cross at NEXA dealership. I have to say the 1.6ltr and the six speed gearbox combination is well defined package. Like always the lack of precise feedback from the steering was disappointing. The torque is enough and more to keep the vehicle going.

On the other hand, the 1.3ltr and five speed gearbox will remind you of the Swift Dzire, no significant difference in gear ratios until you hit the fourth gear. That's a lot to ask for a 10lakh plus car. Not to mention I despised the fit and finish inside; be it the loose/moving window sill when operating power windows or the plasticky feel of the switches on the cabin light console. I need my money back. Thank you!

Personally, the S-Cross' most alluring feature was the four disc brakes, sadly the excitement did not last long. After two 45 min test drives of both 1.6 and 1.3 ltr alpha versions, we decided to visit the Skoda showroom. I'm a guy who did not enjoy the response times of the V6 petrol Mercedes Benz 250 Saloon's AT gearbox. After spending 30 min driving the Skoda Rapid AT I was dazzled by how the DQ250 performed. Test drive Saturday, got me thinking; How many sedans and crossovers in India (10-15lac on-road) offer anything over the 5-Speed gearbox? No thanks to 4 Speed Auto of the Ciaz.

I'm happy to announce the end of my search for a second car that can help us start touring India by road all over again. We've booked the Skoda Rapid 1.5 Elegance Plus AT in toffee brown.
proxax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 03:27   #1212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Besides the lack of boot, my deal-breakers are a) Lack of petrol option, b) Almost identical interiors of Ciaz, which I'd disliked the second I stepped in and c) Black Interiors especially when films are banned and the ban strictly enforced. (My SX4 had Garware 70 front/back and 50 on sides).
I can understand this fascination with the boot. My mom says the exact same thing too- booted cars are better. She doesn't really know much about cars though. Anyways- it's down to personal preferences.

1. Petrol v/s diesel is really a personal preference. Can understand that. But that doesn't really steal any credit away from the 1.6 diesel, does it? It produces the exact same power figure as the 1.6 petrol available internationally, while having 320Nm of torque as against 156Nm.

b. Interiors are the same design as international version I believe. The quality is a huge step up for Maruti Suzuki. I own a FIAT and loathe all tin build cars, but the S-Cross felt decent enough.

3. The SX4 sedan came with grey interiors if I remember correctly. I feel black is a huge step up.

PS- Didn't get the connection between black interiors and tints. My Punto has black interiors and no tints. Is it the heat you are trying to point out? The air conditioner can sort that out effectively.

Quote:
Yes, but the SCross that has made it to India is a seriously downgraded version of the real thing. The supposed top end version misses CVT, 1.6L Petrol, Panoramic Sun-Roof, AWD and other luxuries offered elsewhere. In its current state it belongs to its usual sales channel, and its at-par version marketed through Nexa.
What is NEXA? Who defines what is the benchmark for a car to be sold through NEXA? It's only Maruti's marketing wing trying their best to break the small car maker image. Should we be bothered?

As far as I am concerned- NEXA till now has meant more customer oriented behaviour (Valet parking, fluent English speaking RMs, well appointed showrooms, dedicated time for discussion with RMs etc). I don't see a reason to complain why S-Cross was displayed in that showroom instead of another?

As for the missing features- the top end 1.3 diesel is 13L on road Bangalore. It's good VFM. The 1.6 is priced over the moon, but we all know it's due to the imported engine and transmission and adding more features could only have worsened the situation for Maruti.

With all the features mentioned- S cross goes head on against the likes of Skoda Yeti in the international markets. Our market with its fascination for boot (and chrome and macho for that matter) will be paying only half the price for the product. Maruti seems to have done a good job meeting both ends meet with the 1.3 diesel variants - both the features offered and pricing for the same.

PS- I have no plans of buying the car now with my Punto going strong still. But the S-Cross 1.6 with that massive torque surge surely has my respect more than any other hatch on stills in the market today.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th August 2015 at 03:31.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 07:14   #1213
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
When the 18L Rupee Innova doesn't come close to the equipment list of the S-Cross, its definitely not a right thing again to term the innova to be a not so worthy product or bash it up. Each car has its own purpose/character on which it is built. I cannot bring in an 8 seated MPV with a 5 seater crossover and then see what features it offers.
The Innova is an extremely overpriced vehicle considering what it offers. The trouble is that there is Zero competition in that segment and Toyota is just making hay while the sun shines. For ten years they have milked the market here.
Yet, I note on this forum that there is this "certain shyness" when it comes to criticizing Toyota. All the other manufacturers take the brunt of the brickbats but Toyota? No way! According to most people here they are the best, most reliable, greatest VFM and the deserving recipients of every other possible plaudit.
I think personally that there is a lot of bias here though we call ourselves a neutral forum.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 08:43   #1214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Thank you for this - its quite refreshing to see someone not be bothered by political correctness in this age.

I also wonder why we exhibit this political correctness and paranoid pussy-footing around calling a vehicle out for what it is. Its not like the car will need to visit a shrink to deal with the depression following such name-calling.

I do not see anything wrong with calling an ugly or plain looking automobile exactly what it is. We are an auto-forum, discussing automobiles - not the parliament discussing religious/ethnic/linguistic/any other -ic group that may feel offended.
Problem may not be about political correctness, but more about the way its being expressed. I can say that I did not like a car because of so and so reasons, but not to the extent of expecting that rest of the world should agree to that thought. And what is wrong is saying ‘looks are subjective’; I liked the plain jane look of the S-Cross. I also loved the quirky looks of the first gen Yeti, which was indeed panned by many. And there maybe many who love the fluidic Verna, but I felt its nothing but an over-styled jazzy automobile. But that does not mean that I should just go on criticizing Hyundai in a way that it was a cardinal sin to launch their Fluidic designs in India.

------

As a few others pointed out, that the S-Cross is in the same space as of the Skoda Yeti in the international markets. In India, if compared with the Yeti 4x2 elegance, the S-Cross does miss out on a couple of safety features (6 airbags, traction control/ESP), but its close to 8 lakhs cheaper (on-road) as well. Never liked Suzuki's model range in India, but I feel this indeed is a right step to the (relatively) premium space.
vb-saan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 09:00   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the bland looks which is not to my taste, my main grouse with the S-cross is it falls below the expectations set by Maruti in calling it a 'premium' vehicle.

The 1.3 engine in the S-cross is available in half of the cars plying on the Indian roads.Even the 90 PS VGT version is available in cars like Vista/Zest/Punto/SX4/Linea etc. since many years.Also, other cars from segments below offer more powerful engines - Amaze/Jazz/Aspire/I20 (more torque) and some also offer 6-speed transmission.

Now, the 1.6 seems to be a really powerful engine but for the price they are asking, Maruti should have provided more kit particularly safety features like 6 airbags,ESP etc. and may be some luxury features like sunroof.

Last edited by adimicra : 16th August 2015 at 09:05.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed