Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2015, 13:22   #1246
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

+1 to all the "Premium Silver" lovers. Of all the colors in S-Cross, Premium Silver looks the best to my eyes. It is one of the best Silver shades I have seen in a car. When I had booked the car, my preference was Silver, White and Gray in this order and once I saw the cars in flesh, I asked him to strike off White and Gray. If it is S-Cross, for me, it should be in premium silver To me, it elevates the looks a notch up and looks truly premium. In a very rare occurrence, my wife also agreed instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
But how many cars are advertised so much as 'premium' vehicle? Maruti even opened separate dealerships to deal with their 'premium' vehicle.
I very well agree Adimicra. S-Cross DDiS 200 is not really a premium vehicle. I am sure Maruti's tagline "Premium Crossover" is for the S-Cross DDiS 320. However, the tag just flowed into the DDiS 200 version also. Just like how marketers use the power figures of DDiS 320 and FE figures and starting prices of DDiS 200 version to pull customers into the showroom - this is another marketing tactic. Every brand does this - cannot single out Maruti. Again, Hyundai calls Creta the Perfect SUV - unfortunately it is neither perfect nor SUV. From an alternate perspective, like we have discussed before, S-Cross DDiS 200 also offers a LOT of exclusive features (which definitely does not include the engine) which can be considered premium in its price-range - so it kinda justifies the tagline also.

Coming to Nexa, I think the primary objective of Nexa is to give premium showroom experience to buyers who come to buy premium cars and based on my experience and general feedback, Nexa is more hit than miss. There is some scope of improvement and I am sure they are on their learning curve. Maruti will have to decide the cars they sell in the premium outlet, but need to work on maintaining the premium experience for a longer duration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Even if you compare with the 1.4 diesel mill from the I20, it offers better refinement, higher torque and 6-speed gearbox. And this is a car that is positioned well below the S-cross.
Yes Adimicra, you are correct. 1.4 CRDi with 6 speed gearbox in i20 is a benchmark for refinement and premiumness in its segment. It is no slouch in power or torque delivery either. But, Hyundai offers the same combo in the pseudo-crossover i20 Active - which is a competitor to lower variants S-Cross DDiS 200 and also in Creta 1.4 CRDi - which is a direct competitor to S-Cross DDiS 200 offering much lesser VFM. It just depends on what we compare the S-Cross DDiS 200 with.

Believe me, DDiS 200 in S-Cross is not much behind in performance compared to the 1.4 CRDi in i20. I say this having test-driven both the cars. Definitely, DDiS 200 is not as punchy as the 1.4 CRDi or as drivable as the 1.5 iDTEC in Amaze - but the majority can easily live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
The problem I am facing now is the difficulty in convincing myself that DDIS 200 alpha /zeta is a logical upgrade from my 2009 dzire.

Add to that, I am afraid of the 'play-station' handling in a Hyundai. I have asked for a TD of the creta 1.6 once more.
Sandygordon, I am also upgrading from the old gen Dzire - a petrol one though. So for me, it is indeed an upgrade. I understand your situation as both cars have the same engine with only the Turbo being different. Based on my TD - the engine + gearbox exceeded my expectations. After driving Honda Amaze and City, I had expected DDiS to be much lower on low speed drivability based on the feedback regarding turbo-lag. But the S-Cross did really well and the lag was negligible to me. In fact the use of clutch and gearshifts were much lesser than what is needed in my Dzire Petrol. The power surge post 1800-2000 rpm is also really good and something my Dzire has never given to me. I could touch 100 in no time with ease inside Bangalore in ORR.

For me, One of the important irritants with i20 was the life-less steering with 0 feedback and its overall vague feeling. Looks like it is the same with you as well. If not for this, it would have been an i20 for me and Creta for you

Last edited by Vigkey : 17th August 2015 at 13:25.
Old 17th August 2015, 14:04   #1247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
While I am saying all this, I still say that S-Cross 1.3 Zeta seems a VFM at 11.5 lakhs OTR!
Correcting the comparison from my previous message:
The right comparison to S-Cross 1.3 Zeta would be Swift Zdi (not Zxi) - and the price of Zdi is 8.5L OTR.
So comparing this, at 3 lakhs premium S-Cross does feel a good VFM given the richness of the product - with respect to the Swift.
Old 17th August 2015, 14:25   #1248
Senior - BHPian

Lots of talks about high pricing of the 1.6 model. I do agree that its over priced. But why make so noise? They are not the only one to price it high. Toyota sells Corolla, Fortuner and Innova at premium, Duster is also clearly overpriced from Renalt, same with Terrano as well, Ford sells Ecosport at high price. I guess people are used to VFM tag from Maruti for almost all the cars, that's why so much noise. One thing for sure, S-cross 1.6 is really a good car, T-BHP review confirms that as well. So if someone really want that power, can ignore the price & buy what they want. I am sure it will put smile on the face
Old 17th August 2015, 15:03   #1249
BHPian

Me and @opendro took a test drive of the DDIS200 alpha.

These are the impressions I got:
  • If you're looking for raw power, you will be sorely disappointed. This is no scorcher at all. You can feel the extra weight, and the engine struggling to impress. Don't get me wrong - it is not underpowered, and will work for most of the people. But an upgrade from a Swift? No way.
  • Ride quality at the rear was not that great, and there was considerable harshness. I'm not sure if this was due to overinflated tyres.
  • Ergonomics at the front are fantastic. Sitting position is high.
  • Refinement is not that great. Even after sufficient warm up, there is considerable clatter that seeps in. At higher RPMs, the engine sounds coarse. Ciaz is way ahead in refinement
  • Plastics are not that great in some areas, as the team-bhp review perfectly pointed out. Again, Ciaz is much more ahead
  • Steering was light, though not as light as the Ciaz. No complaints here.
  • Rear leg room is quite good. No rear a/c vents
  • Boot is quite small, if you use the parcel tray. Without the tray, it seems decent enough.
My gut feel: It will sell just because it is a Maruti that has been priced quite well.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 15:19   #1250
Distinguished - BHPian

Moving from the stock tires- JK Elanzo 205/60 R16, which are the recommended options? Not looking for an upgrade in size.
Old 17th August 2015, 15:22   #1251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Moving from the stock tires- JK Elanzo 205/60 R16, which are the recommended options? Not looking for an upgrade in size.
Same as Ecosport size so you have option of Goodyear Assurance if you need VFM tyre or Michelin P3ST if you want premium tyres. The Good years are around 5.5-6K per tyre whereas the Michelin is around 9.5-10K per tyre.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 15:23   #1252
BHPian

To be honest, I was expecting Ciaz like refinement. It is more like FIAT (Linea) in refinement. But I felt that Linea, while being as loud as S Cross, had lesser vibration. Overall, disappointment. If Maruti is smart, they should introduce the 1.4L petrol and try to get some more numbers, though a 1.4 petrol will mostly lose out to Jazz 1.2 in performance and price. But it will at least give some more choices to the customers.
Old 17th August 2015, 15:26   #1253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Same as Ecosport size so you have option of Goodyear Assurance if you need VFM tyre or Michelin P3ST if you want premium tyres. The Good years are around 5.5-6K per tyre whereas the Michelin is around 9.5-10K per tyre.
Would check both , inclined to go the Michelin way!
Old 17th August 2015, 17:14   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The biggest grouse I have with MSIL is with removal of 6 airbags and ESP. Apart from these features, the S-cross is fairly well loaded.
+1. Not to forget, the glaring omission of rear seat vents, when its on the Ciaz.
Old 17th August 2015, 17:30   #1255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
+1. Not to forget, the glaring omission of rear seat vents, when its on the Ciaz.
Even the European and Australian versions come without rear ac vents so it isn't like the company has subtracted the feature only on the Indian model. Also, the S-Cross is based on a different platform and is not the same as the Ciaz at all.
Old 17th August 2015, 17:39   #1256
BHPian

Checked out the S Cross and let me just say that it's not as impressive as I thought it would be. The build is nothing special, just better than other Japanese cars. The Creta felt more solid,the Ecosport even more so. The scross clearly feels like a hatch from the outside and inside as well. It doesn't have a lot of headroom at the back and leg room is just about adequate. The plastics were okay,nothing special here apart the padded dash board. Switch gear from the cheaper cars from the stable is a downer,my was convinced that the swift has a better interior. The 1.3 is pretty mediocre IMO,couldn't try the 1.6. Overall, I am pretty convinced that ecosport is a better car, especially in its 6 airbag ecoboost variant.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 17:43   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Even the European and Australian versions come without rear ac vents so it isn't like the company has subtracted the feature only on the Indian model. Also, the S-Cross is based on a different platform and is not the same as the Ciaz at all.
I know. I mentioned, as it would be the features you'd consider comparing when shopping for a 15 lakh car.
Old 17th August 2015, 21:08   #1258
Distinguished - BHPian

Moving away from the looks of the car and a more serious note for which this thread is intended, and for those wanting to change the tires, here is some information.

From JK stock( Elanzo 205/60 R16) to Goodyear tires

Cost of ~ INR 5300 / tire

For Bridgestone or Michelin

Cost ~ 9500 /tire

Buyback of stock JK tyres in both the cases will ~INR 3000 /tire. ( assuming <100 kms)

Warranty will be void ( Maruti Suzuki) in case of a Tire Size upgrade.

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th August 2015 at 21:12.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 21:08   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think this is the point. Why do you say power is a problem here?

Let me illustrate my case:

I own a Duster 85, and am a sedate driver who does not do high speeds on the highways.

But if you are like me, who has one's own idea of a safe cruising limit, then irrespective of what the vehicle lets you feel; you will stick to your driving style. So in that case, you wont be utilising the better specced product at all.

To summarise, whether I look at a 1.6 or a 1.3, my perception of a cruising speed wont change. So I am actually better off with the 1.3 than the 1.6 (Isn't it?).
Thanks for the input.
Thought a lot about my driving style. I never go above triple digits on highways around here. Most of the time its in peak traffic, or a sedate cruise at 80-90 kmph on empty one lane state highways.

For my profession and preference, I would any day pick an understated car. Creta seemed too flashy to me. That high seating position and disconnected feels gives me shivers when I think about it. Creta might be a beauty and a supermodel, but I cant connect to it any way.

Almost zeroing in on the 1.3 alpha. However 'ugly' and 'underpowered' she is.
1.3 zeta may be more VFM, can save me a good 50-75k but atleast once in life I want to buy a top end model.
sandygordon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 21:18   #1260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashok View Post

My little angel complained of the Rear seat headrest causing pain ! She had to slouch to avoid the headrest. Will need to enquire if the headrest can be removed totally, else this is a serious issue.
Your angel is right. That is something that is bothering me as well. I had pre-booked the car. The rear seat comfort is a big thing for me (Coming from a honda city) and I am trying to figure what can be done about it before making the purchase.
Say thanks to your little angel please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Thanks a ton Steeroid for stickin' up for me. We seem to be in minority here and looks like any time soon, moderator's axe will fall on our posts. But that said, I'm still surprised why people get so offended when all we are doing is criticising MUL and not the buyers. I mean would the buyers not have been more happy if this car had stunning looks too, to match other virtues? But got to admit the car is overpriced by couple of lakhs for all that it offers. My biggest worry was/is that if such cars succeed, we will see more and more ungainly cars.
pgsagar - I believe your opinion that S-Cross is ugly looking is justified. I firmly believe every one has the right to make comments about what they think about the products. However, when you use bold letters it sounds like screaming. In a public forum, it always valuable to express your point of view, but its best to keep it to the point and subtle than appear to be screaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Besides the lack of boot, my deal-breakers are a) Lack of petrol option, b) Almost identical interiors of Ciaz, which I'd disliked the second I stepped in and c) Black Interiors especially when films are banned and the ban strictly enforced. (My SX4 had Garware 70 front/back and 50 on sides).

Yes, but the SCross that has made it to India is a seriously downgraded version of the real thing. The supposed top end version misses CVT, 1.6L Petrol, Panoramic Sun-Roof, AWD and other luxuries offered elsewhere. In its current state it belongs to its usual sales channel, and its at-par version marketed through Nexa.
Sigh! You said it. How much I wish there was a petrol option. For my kind of running, petrol would be perfect and since it's not an option I am considering the diesel 1.3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Problem may not be about political correctness, but more about the way its being expressed. I can say that I did not like a car because of so and so reasons, but not to the extent of expecting that rest of the world should agree to that thought. And what is wrong is saying ‘looks are subjective’; I liked the plain jane look of the S-Cross. I also loved the quirky looks of the first gen Yeti, which was indeed panned by many. And there maybe many who love the fluidic Verna, but I felt its nothing but an over-styled jazzy automobile. But that does not mean that I should just go on criticizing Hyundai in a way that it was a cardinal sin to launch their Fluidic designs in India.
+ 1 to your thoughts. Comments are most welcome to the extent that it's personal opinion to the point and kept subtle. I appreciate it when people start commenting when they begin with "In my eyes..." or "Personally, I think..." That sets the right tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The point remains, what is it that you need from your next car? And does a considered product satisfy that aspect? No amount of Maruti forcing into promotions that its a Premium product will answer an informed buyer. You need to decide whether you like it or dont like it! Once you are solved on that, its then a question of logic, if the price aspect justifies that product.

If you ask me personally the top end DDIS200 looks to me a good next car for you. Its up to you whether you like the S-Cross or Creta 1.6.

PS: Its always confusing when you start thinking the way others think!
This is so true. The real question for everyone is just that - What is it that you want from your next car.

Quote:
Jeez... 9.5 - 10K for Michelins? Do you know if Yokohama Earth 1s are available? I personally loved these tyres after a recent upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
While I agree it's an omission, these are feature you can do without. If the A/C can keep the cabin cool enough, I think I'd it is something that we can live with and not a glaring omission. You'd think that I appreciate function over form and that's absolutely true. I think rear A/C vents are desirable, especially for a large cabin vehicle but not so much as a glaring omission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Checked out the S Cross and let me just say that it's not as impressive as I thought it would be. The build is nothing special, just better than other Japanese cars. The Creta felt more solid,the Ecosport even more so. The scross clearly feels like a hatch from the outside and inside as well. It doesn't have a lot of headroom at the back and leg room is just about adequate. The plastics were okay,nothing special here apart the padded dash board. Switch gear from the cheaper cars from the stable is a downer,my was convinced that the swift has a better interior. The 1.3 is pretty mediocre IMO,couldn't try the 1.6. Overall, I am pretty convinced that ecosport is a better car, especially in its 6 airbag ecoboost variant.
In reading through pages of posts, I only see that there are all types of enthusiasts on this forum,
1) Some who prefer an excellent drive experience while trying to have some of the premium features...
2) Some who want practicality (like me - Rear seat comfort, luggage carrying capacity) especially the tall folks
3) Some who absolutely loathe features (rear aircon, sun roof etc etc), fit and finish.
4) Some of us who want the car to be head turners
5) Some of us who want VFM... and so forth

.... Nothing wrong in these, but the common factor seems to be that most of us base their reviews and comments upon their personal experiences with many vehicles, features available and more importantly the desirability. I can tell you all one thing for sure - Hyundai and Maruti has managed to confuse the heck out of all of us enthusiats and it's giving many of us sleepless nights and torturing us in many different ways. Would you all not agree?

As someone said, it's best to stay calm, find out what each individual wants and go get the car that fits your needs closest. The indian market sadly does not have anything that fits everyone's needs although there is enough choice to confuse you.

If it's drivability or performance or anything else, evaluate what you love the most and go get that machine that gives you peace of mind, even if it means stretching your budgets a little. I am sure the wise folks will say, you will never regret it because you will always have a smile pasted on your face every time you drive your vehicle. IT's something that will de-stress you and that's an important thing in life.

I have a city and it served me well for 5 years. It leaves this week and that puts me in a state where I need a car for long trips. Like some of us on the forum my top priorities are

a: Safety (Must with a 3 year old on board)
b. Ground clearance.
c. Decent engine and some feel good factor plus rear seat comfort.
d. Speed of 100 KM or less on highways. Prefer relaxed cruising.

and most importantly - Budget of 13 L Max. So S-Cross sort of fits my needs at the moment. I thought I'd wait for the Vitara brezza, but quickly realized there is no end to this madness! So I am most likely to go for it and hoping to write an ownership report sometime next month. I think ownership reports are very important as it will tell the long term usability of the car and benefit the community.

I loved reading all the comments and please keep them coming. It has certainly helped me make an informed decision.

Thanks all!

Last edited by sudeepg : 17th August 2015 at 21:20. Reason: fixed spelling mistakes
sudeepg is online now   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed