Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 21:24   #1306
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
please clarify if this is directly through NEXA, in which case it would be more or less similar across cities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Is the buyback of alloys and tires through Nexa itself or from outside?? If it is from Nexa, do they also have options for other alloys and tires?? If it is from outside, please also provide the details of the place

Nexa will not buyback, nor do they have any other pattern of Alloys as accessories

The prices mentioned are from Hot Tracks -Bangalore.

You can check other sources and post here if a better deal prevails for the benefit of members looking to change them!
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 23:35   #1307
BHPian

Zeroed on the DDIS 200 Alpha Caffeine brown, a bit reluctantly (Atleast I should allow my wifey to pick the color). Loan process started today. Expecting delivery next week.
Excited.

I am confused about the tyre upgrade. Drove the 200 aggressively, but that handling issue was not very apparent. Moreover, I feel the 'crater' ridden roads of Kochi requires an SUV tyre like the JK. I am more inclined to change the alloys than the tyre. If the Ciaz gun metal alloys are available at a Maruti show room, I am ready to swap. Else I should go for aftermarket ones.

Please help me with an alloy choice.
- Black with silver (Like the one on the GLA)
- Momo full black
- Full matt silver

Anyone upgrading to 17 inchers??
The chrome on the grille will be darkened to glossy black (Will 3M do this for me?). What do you guys feel about glossy black on the roof for caffeine brown? (Had planned it for white)? Like the GLA here.

Is there any way to open the headlight assembly and darken the portions except the projectors and lights, so that the cluster wont look this bulky?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-gla.jpg  

Last edited by sandygordon : 19th August 2015 at 23:41.
sandygordon is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 23:41   #1308
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Zeroed on the DDIS 200 Alpha Caffeine brown, a bit reluctantly.
Congratulations. Sensible choice. So the pie chart and flow chart can be put to rest.

Quote:
Moreover, I feel the 'crater' ridden roads of Kochi requires an SUV tyre like the JK. I am more inclined to change the alloys than the tyre. If the Ciaz gun metal alloys are available at a Maruti show room, I am ready to swap. Else I should go for aftermarket ones.
Ciaz alloys won't fit as they are 4 hole ones whereas S-Cross is 5.

I'll suggest change only the alloys. Keep the tyres stock.

Quote:
The chrome on the grille will be darkened to glossy black (Will 3M do this for me?). What do you guys feel about glossy black on the roof for caffeine brown? (Had planned it for white)? Like the GLA here.
Yes 3M will do it. If you want to go for roof black, get it done there. They'll do a wrap. You can look at carbon fiber pattern too if interested.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 00:28   #1309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Zeroed on the DDIS 200 Alpha Caffeine brown, a bit reluctantly (Atleast I should allow my wifey to pick the color). Loan process started today. Expecting delivery next week.
Excited.

I am confused about the tyre upgrade. Drove the 200 aggressively, but that handling issue was not very apparent. Moreover, I feel the 'crater' ridden roads of Kochi requires an SUV tyre like the JK. I am more inclined to change the alloys than the tyre. If the Ciaz gun metal alloys are available at a Maruti show room, I am ready to swap. Else I should go for aftermarket ones.

- Momo full black
- Full matt silver

Anyone upgrading to 17 inchers??

Is there any way to open the headlight assembly and darken the portions except the projectors and lights, so that the cluster wont look this bulky?
Congratulations on finally reaching at the end of the flow chart.

As Anurag has said, the Ciaz alloys have 4 holes while the S Cross has 5. Also if I am not wrong, their PCDs are also different. The only alloys from Maruti which can fit the S Cross are the ones from SX4 sedan.

I had searched a bit about the alloys, S Cross in other markets do come with a 17 inches option with 215/55 tyres. But I wouldn't personally suggest that as Maruti may decline you a replacement under warranty if any suspension related issue occurs.
Plati alloys had some nice designs in the 16inch section, similar to the ones you are eyeing on the Merc.

Lastly, regarding the wraps, I feel that Caffeine brown is itself a dark shade, I don't think it will provide you the same contrast that a black roof on a silver car would provide.

Eagerly awaiting your ownership thread.

Regards

Edit- Finally your avatar comes back!!!

Last edited by Leoshashi : 20th August 2015 at 00:30.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 03:29   #1310
Senior - BHPian

I remember early versions of the SX4 coming with simple yet butch looking 5 spoke 16inch alloys. Those ought to fit and should probably be available for dirt cheap
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 06:41   #1311
BHPian

A major deterrant to the butch looks of the car is the wheels, especially the rear ones that are receded into the rear wheel arch. Is there any work about to set them a bit farther so that the tyres would just fit flush with the body than receded in?

From the blue prints I am seeing a shorter distance between the rear tyres (1535mm vs 1505 mm). Is this required / like a safety feature? Can we add 'rings' (i dont know the technical name) and set them a bit apart so that the car would have a more 'planted / squatted sort' of stance? Will it void the suspension warranty?

Last edited by sandygordon : 20th August 2015 at 06:45.
Old 20th August 2015, 06:51   #1312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A major deterrant to the butch looks of the car is the wheels, especially the rear ones that are receded into the rear wheel arch. Is there any work about to set them a bit farther so that the tyres would just fit flush with the body than receded in?

From the blue prints I am seeing a shorter distance between the rear tyres (1535mm vs 1505 mm). Is this required / like a safety feature? Can we add 'rings' (i dont know the technical name) and set them a bit apart so that the car would have a more 'planted / squatted sort' of stance? Will it void the suspension warranty?

Rear track is always lesser(5-10mm) than the front track. I am not aware of the technicalities behind the same, but that's how I have seen in cars.

You are probably eyeing a thick squat stance at the rear, with the wheels protuding a bit, I guess those can be solved by using wider alloys and rubber. This is the easiest possible way of attaining the target, without any change in suspension. However, incase of any suspension related issue, Maruti might decline you the warranty on the suspension components.

Regards
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 06:58   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Excited.
Congrats! Glad that you are picking up the Alpha.

Those JKs will become hard and ridiculous pretty soon. So, change them when new and save big on exchange.

I think change of alloys can wait. There is a certain pleasure in spacing out the mods.

The headlight bezel can be made black. There are a couple DIY threads like the one here. Modification shops will charge a nominal amount for the same if you don't want to take up the hassle. And that will look nice, as the S-Cross headlights are a little too unwieldy.

3M can do either matt, carbon fibre or gloss wrap. The Gloss looks the best, but will pick up scratches and marks easily. So, I would recommend painting the grille. But a black roof may not stand out on a brown car especially when its a wrap.

Enjoy the moment!
Old 20th August 2015, 09:14   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Zeroed on the DDIS 200 Alpha Caffeine brown

- Momo full black
- Full matt silver

Congratulations! My vote is for the GLA kind of alloys. They look stunning on similar sized cars.

3M can definitely handle the grille, the decals come in many shades as well.

As for the roof, I'd say It'll not stand out, but still add some substance to the overall looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Those JKs will become hard and ridiculous pretty soon. So, change them when new and save big on exchange.

I think change of alloys can wait. There is a certain pleasure in spacing out the mods.
Are the JK's so bad? I ran them for up to 45000 on my Esteem without much trouble. Of course, when I moved to the Turanza ER60s from Bridgestone, the significant reduction in noise, improved handling and cornering completely justified the upgrade. Pity, they don't make the ER60s anymore!

Fully agree on the "P factor" with spacing mods

Last edited by pannags : 20th August 2015 at 09:31.
Old 20th August 2015, 09:16   #1315
BHPian

Quote:

Hi sandygordon. First of all congratulations. Hope the beauty is parked in your garage soon.

Now regarding the wheel track. It is a very important variable for ride and handling characteristics of a car. Everything is for a purpose. A wider front wheel track will help in cornering and reduce under-steer. It also helps to reduce the body roll.

But then why don't all vehicles have the same arrangement (wider front track than rear)? Simply because it is just one of the several factors of a vehicle's ride and handling (others being wheelbase, center of gravity, suspension type, steering, aerodynamics, etc). So designers play with all these factors to achieve the targeted ride and handling characteristics for that particular vehicle.

You can use wider rear tires keeping the track same. It will provide better traction, but expect little under-steer.
Old 20th August 2015, 13:17   #1316
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Took the test drive of the S-cross ddis 200, 1.3 litre at Stan Nexa at Ferozepur Road, the looks of the vehicle are ok for me, it definitely appears a big car. Coming to the drive of the 1.3litre version, it appeared a bit slower to pick up speed, as compared to my 2013 dzire. May be i was a bit gentle towards it. Took the test drive of Ford Ecosport around a week back, well it appears to me that the suspension of the Ecosport is better in filtering the potholes than the s cross. Overall s cross is a good car. Had a look at the Creta also, though i only sat in the drivers seat in the showroom, i could not get a favourable driving position in it, which i was able to achieve in the s cross and the Ecosport.
Spending around 13.5 lacs on creta and not getting basic features like speed sensing auto door lock (was there in my 2008 model swift vdi), only abailable in the topmost sx- o model, no telescopic steering adjustment, no split folding rear seat, no keyless entry and go, complete day light robbery. All these features available in s cross and Ecosport at much lower on road price.
My final call will be most likely between Ecosport and S-cross. Any opinions regarding how long the leather seats in the Titanium (O) last, as no seat covers are permitted, if the seat leather gets damaged, what is the solution? Costs involved.
Old 20th August 2015, 14:42   #1317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Upgrade not in the sense that a Jazz owner goes ahead and purchase an S-Cross, but a prospective Jazz owner can upgrade to a car which is longer, wider, higher and offer a lot more in terms of features. (And I can already see one or two members doing the exact same thing here.)

I'm sure you have your personal reasons for disliking S-Cross (Seen that enthusiasm two pages back), but it is plain numbers and logic that S-Cross is a lot bigger car with more features. That doesn't have anything to do with my liking for the S-Cross.

Haven't you seen swift owners 'upgrading' to i20 here in the forum? Haven't you seen Grand i10 owners 'upgrading' to Swift? Haven't you seen DZire owners 'upgrading' to City? What do you advise those members then?

Compared to these scenarios, the word upgrade has a lighter meaning in the context I've used. I'm surprised you need a change in form factor to call something an upgrade.

As for the whole "brand" Suzuki v/s Honda debate- there are different threads for that topic. If you are game, let's have a healthy discussion somewhere else.
I have been a bit too harsh on S-Cross and I even said sorry for that. And I have moved on. Did you see any anti S-Cross remark in my latest post. Yes, I consider Jazz superior to S-Cross. How is that a harsh comment against S-Cross. If you are entitled to your opinion, then so am I. And speaking about my enthusiasm against S-Cross, mine was only against S-Cross (not against Maruti) but I have also seen your enthusiasm against Honda cars.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 14:56   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Do upgrade the tyres to better rubber, and if possible get some different alloys.
The gloss black wrap roof should go well with the car (please don't get a CF wrap those are just overused and don't look good at all) drawing inspiration from the Kizashi, might I suggest black nickel coating for the grille?

Yes you can add spacers to the car to widen its track but remember if you are aiming at widening only the rear track more, that will affect the way your car tackles a corner; you will have more understeer. Just stick to a wheel and tyre upgrade and you ought to be good.
Awaiting your ownership thread

Cheers
Old 20th August 2015, 16:21   #1319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes, I consider Jazz superior to S-Cross. How is that a harsh comment against S-Cross. If you are entitled to your opinion, then so am I.
You might even consider Brio superior to S-Cross. You are entitled to your opinion. I agree. I might consider Jazz as overpriced with cheap build quality, that's my opinion. All these are quite irrelevant here.

What matters is the logic behind those opinions. I have already pasted detailed feature comparisons and size comparisons why I feel S-Cross DDiS 200 is indeed an upgrade for a potential customer choosing Jazz.

You presented two logic - 1. Both are hatchbacks and an upgrade means a change in form factor from hatchback to sedan or SUV 2. People would prefer Honda over a Suzuki if both are stacked up.

Being entitled to explain an opinion doesn't equate to simply trolling against a particular car. If you have logic and reasons for arriving at your opinion- I'm happy to have a healthy discussion on it.

PS- You quoted me initially objecting to my opinion. I only challenged your view which IMO was baseless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
And speaking about my enthusiasm against S-Cross, mine was only against S-Cross (not against Maruti) but I have also seen your enthusiasm against Honda cars.
Thanks for reading my threads. If you have a counter opinion WITH underlying logic, please present it here-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/157091-honda-city-4th-gen-niggles-compilation-arent-honda-cars-niggle-free-anymore-18.html#post3781221
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 16:48   #1320
BHPian

What if the stock alloys are blackened out somewhat like this?
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-marutiscross05.jpg
RavSam is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed