Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2015, 07:36   #1381
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Went to Emperor to check on ICE and alloy upgrade options. There was this arrogant 'grandpa' there. I asked about infinity components and bull audio. I mentioned to him about the bulls in my car installed by them 6 years back. He said Rainbows, hertz are the components of the day. He did not offer an audition of any of these and was not interested in showing even the boxes. He ridiculed me by saying that I am stuck in the past by asking for Blaupunkt, JBL GTO and RF amps. He quoted the bull amp for 14k. He suggested the sony and pioneer amps(at 6k and 9k respectively) for a 'budget-wala' like me.

Loved the MOMOs there. But the buy back he offered was 2.5k for the alloys and 2.5 k for the JKs. The tyres on display were some 'Han-ken' which according to him is a chineese superbrand designed in the US for racing. He quoted 5-6k for 16 inch 225 and 7-8k for 17 inch 225. LOL. 17 inch momos were quoted for 42k and 16 inchers for 34-36k.

No wonder that shop is the exact same size as it was 6 years back. May be we should have some NRI / rich arrogant brat like demeanour (common in Kerala these days) when dealing with that grand-pa. Too bad. Decided to shop elsewhere for the alloys and tyre. However I might go there for a component install.
sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 09:08   #1382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Loved the MOMOs there. But the buy back he offered was 2.5k for the alloys and 2.5 k for the JKs. The tyres on display were some 'Han-ken' which according to him is a chineese superbrand designed in the US for racing. He quoted 5-6k for 16 inch 225 and 7-8k for 17 inch 225. LOL. 17 inch momos were quoted for 42k and 16 inchers for 34-36k.
Is your model the DDiS200? If yes, why are you looking at a tyre upgrade? The S-cross already has 205 rubber which is more than enough for a 90PS car. By putting 225 tyres, you will slow down the car more, add more rolling resistance thereby decreasing FE. For a 1.3L 90PS car, 225 rubber is overkill imo. Plus the S-cross dynamics are already good.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 09:12   #1383
BANNED

Back in 2008-10 fiat was selling the Bravo premium hatchback with the same 1.6 Multijet engine at a shocking price of over Rs.25 Lakhs, I feel the price of S Cross is justified at least for the engine sakes.

Currently I am running Swift 2013 ddis with RD tuning box. Last week during a highway run alongside by brothers Fortuner, the swift was able to keep up with the mammoth at all speeds. I can only imagine what the higher torque 1.6 behave . Currently my car is run 1.10lakh kms and the engine behaves fresh as new.

The 1.6 I feel sits just below the 2.0tdis of VW engines. But reliability is a sure given on the 1.6

Way to go Maruti for bringing in this gem of a car.

Shame on Ford giving the same engine for the New figsos, fiesta and ecosport.
Old 26th August 2015, 09:18   #1384
BANNED

Quote:
Went to Emperor to check on ICE and alloy upgrade options. There was this arrogant 'grandpa' there.
I'll say only upgrade the Alloys and ICE. Let the tyres be OEM size. If your not OK with JK tyres get the same size one in better brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Is your model the DDiS200? If yes, why are you looking at a tyre upgrade?
Fully agree with Vid.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 09:25   #1385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post

While the 1.6 DDIS in the S-cross is definitely a gem of an engine and way superior to the Ford 1.5 TDCI, Ford actually consciously moved to 1.5L. The diesel was actually 1.6L sold in Europe. When they were launching the Fiesta in India, they reengineered the engine to 1.5L displacement to get the tax benefits in Ecosport and Fiesta and now the Aspire.

Unfortunately Maruti didn't have this option as the 1.6L was sourced from Fiat and not their own engine.

Rest assured, Maruti's next set of engines will be adhering to the regulations to reap maximum benefits from the excise duty.

That said, Ford had detuned the 1.5L to 90PS in Fiesta and Ecosport but in case of Aspire they have bumped that back to 100PS which is quite decent.

I'm not defending Ford, but just saying that because it was their own engine they could work on it to get tax benefits in India. Maruti Suzuki didn't have that option.

Even VW has just done the same. The 1.6 TDI has been reengineered to 1.5L TDI. Now the same engine gets huge benefits in the Polo TDI and gets some benefits in the Vento as well. Same engine is available in 2 tunes in the Polo as well.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 09:35   #1386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Back in 2008-10 fiat was selling the Bravo premium hatchback with the same 1.6 Multijet engine at a shocking price of over Rs.25 Lakhs, I feel the price of S Cross is justified at least for the engine sakes.

The S-Cross indeed is a good car, but what are you trying to say? What's the shame in having the same engine in the Figo, Fiesta and Ecosport? Do you have the same comment for Maruti for having the same 1.3L engine in Swift, Ciaz, Ertiga, S-Cross and the likes? Or Renualt selling almost all of their model range with the 1.5dci?

And!! Forget 25 lakhs, when did Fiat launch the Bravo in India?
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 09:41   #1387
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It was sold as CBU alongside fiat 500.

Also, the multijets run a DOHC 16valve configuration while ford's run SOHC 8valve. Am not sure about Renault. But look into displacement, the 1.3MJD has the smallest capacity and is able to push 90hp.

Last edited by vittalnrv : 26th August 2015 at 09:47.
Old 26th August 2015, 10:42   #1388
BANNED

Quote:

Vittalnrv,

What are you trying to say here, Maruti which is bankrupt in the world's biggest selling car market is doing us a favor by ridiculously pricing the 1.6 ?

Shame on Ford ??

Take this -

1) Ford has it's own engines, they do NOT buy engines from elsewhere and pay royalty somewhere.
2) Same engine in Figo, Fiesta etc....do you know what runs from Swift down to Ciaz and the "Premium" S-Cross.
3) 30+ years being into the market in India alone, they give a 2 cylinder 47 BHP in the Celerio ?
4) Heard of Mustang, Focus ST,Shelby GT, F-150, if yes, please compare them 1.2 K12M, that too sells right from Swift down to Ciaz (might be the K14M)

Get your basics right, before you make such comments and appreciate what others beyond Maruti/Honda/Toyota are offering.

Last edited by Torquedo : 26th August 2015 at 10:45.
Torquedo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 10:56   #1389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Back in 2008-10 fiat was selling the Bravo premium hatchback with the same 1.6 Multijet engine at a shocking price of over Rs.25 Lakhs, I feel the price of S Cross is justified at least for the engine sales.
Quote:
Fiat did not launch the Bravo in India at all. They imported a few pieces for testing and is registered in the company's name.

Not sure why Bravo which was not launched at all came into picture to justify the pricing of S-Cross. If someone is happy with the pricing so be it, but why try and justify?
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 11:20   #1390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My brown little hippo getting ready for delivery day after tomorrow.
Congratulations! Do start an ownership review once you get acclimatized with the car.
Any idea what is the on-road price for the top-end 1.6 in Kochi?

Quote:
It was sold as CBU alongside fiat 500.
OT: Ah never knew this. Shame on Fiat to secretly launch the Bravo!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 11:32   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those in cochin please suggest good alloy and tyre shops.
Congratulations! Sticking to the stock size while getting a better tyre will be the best option. S-Cross is not under-tyred at all.

Do check out DBS at Edappally. They are a very nice bunch of folks. They got one more new shop open at Aluva recently.

Info here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...bs-cochin.html
Old 26th August 2015, 12:25   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Vittalnrv,

What are you trying to say here, Maruti which is bankrupt in the world's biggest selling car market is doing us a favor by ridiculously pricing the 1.6 ?

Shame on Ford ??

Take this -

1) Ford has it's own engines, they do NOT buy engines from elsewhere and pay royalty somewhere.
2) Same engine in Figo, Fiesta etc....do you know what runs from Swift down to Ciaz and the "Premium" S-Cross.
3) 30+ years being into the market in India alone, they give a 2 cylinder 47 BHP in the Celerio ?
4) Heard of Mustang, Focus ST,Shelby GT, F-150, if yes, please compare them 1.2 K12M, that too sells right from Swift down to Ciaz (might be the K14M)

Get your basics right, before you make such comments and appreciate what others beyond Maruti/Honda/Toyota are offering.

Then why they are failures in India? The fords,GMs,fiats are biting the dust in a growing Indian auto industry. The reason is simple, the dynamics of the Indian auto market is different than the Americas. Either you adapt or perish.

There is a very good example of Apple. What they are good at is packaging. They are not the first one to introduce music players(ipod) or touch screen smart phones(iphones), but they are the most successful brand. Ever imagined why? They took something good and made it better, be it an idea or a component.

Same with Maruti(Suzuki). Suzuki mayn't be that a brand outside India, but they adapted brilliantly to Indian market. Their products are not fancy nor overpriced(as per me). They sell because they are absolute VFM, be it FE, reliability, peace of mind or resale value. Maruti cars cater to the masses where 90% are middle class public.

Coming to the same engine, the so called national engine is used in fiat, tata and maruti. But DDIS tuned maruti cars feel much powerful, much silent , much fuel efficient and much reliable. How many times we have heard engine issues in maruti? In case of s-cross, the DDIS 200 by any means is not underpowered at the same time returns fantastic FE.

The 1.6 is in very initial stage and I am sure maruti engineers will do wonders on it in future. The S-cross is not stripped down from international versions although the price is a little high for 1.6. For sure s-cross is not going to sell in numbers matching creta because of 35 showrooms. It will be a big win for maruti if they manage to sell 2000+ units per month.

Sorry for the long post. But, this thread has become a maruti bashing thread rather than discussing the +ve and -ve of the car. In a span of 1 month creta is declared leader and s-cross a dud
sou_3749 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 13:35   #1393
BHPian

sandygordon, get something like the 17" alloys available in the international S-Cross ie. machined/diamond cut + black alloys. They suit the car the best IMO. They are available from various brands in 16" as well.
Whichcarnow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 14:24   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea what is the on-road price for the top-end 1.6 in Kochi?
Around 16.3L OTR including 3rd and 4th yr warranty
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 14:39   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Around 16.3L OTR including 3rd and 4th yr warranty
Such a steep price for a Maruti , My admiration to the prospective owners. One could easily go on with a XUV5oo W8 by putting 50k more.

We shall admit, no brain thinks alike

Last edited by adik1984 : 26th August 2015 at 14:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks