Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2015, 19:54   #76
BANNED

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
He pointed at this thing (shown in this picture between return air grills) and said that this is the sensor for auto dimming wind shield.
That sensor for the ACC? Mainly for Cabin temperature/Solar Temperature!

EDIT:

An excerpt from the Swift ZDi's manual:

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-untitled.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
What you have highlighted is the heat sensor / in-car temperature sensor which works in tandem with the acc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are right, Sir.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th July 2015 at 20:00.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 20:02   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
What you have highlighted is the heat sensor / in-car temperature sensor which works in tandem with the acc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess the NEXA guys aren't well-trained just yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
That sensor for the ACC? Mainly for Cabin temperature.
Thank you for correcting me. I need to direct him to this thread for more information on the car. They should put the link to this thread on their I pads in NEXA.
Old 25th July 2015, 20:18   #78
BHPian

Excellent reviews guys....as usual !! I was eagerly hoping for creta official review when this came as a pleasant surprise and also a mostly positive one. Think maruti has gone way up in handling ,stability and in short the whole performance department. This engine + brakes+ handling in ciaz = octavia/Jetta killer at almost 3/4 th the price even if priced at 14 - 15 lakhs.
How I wish FIAT manages to plonk this engine in their linea and punto? I would trade in my vento the next day for any of them.
Now waiting for bhpian comments about NEXA dealership and their finesse !!
Why can't the self imposing German premium brands like VW and more importantly SKODA learn from these guys about customer service ?
Thanks again for the wonderful review. While others may tend to call it a crossover , I feel it's the hottest grown up diesel hatch in the market as of now.
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 20:36   #79
BHPian

Thank you for the much awaited review guys! It has all of the information that i was looking for.

I am kind of glad to have made the right decision about this car. As someone rightly said, looks are subjective - its more of handling and riding characterstics that brings the smile as you drive the car. I think it checks most of the boxes that you expect from a crossover. I could do with slighly larger boot but upgrading from swift, i can dowith 353 ltrs of it.

Again, thank you for the detailed review guys.

Last edited by Abhi99 : 25th July 2015 at 20:37. Reason: Typo
Abhi99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 20:38   #80

I just went through all the posts on the pages and totally love this car. However, I indeed have to agree with everyone on the missing 'butchy' looks part. Somewhere along the line, most of the guys spending over 10 big ones on the car expect that 'big' feel. Fortunately, I found the car to be appealing with few simple tweaks. In continuation with my previous post at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3762280

Here's my attempt:

2 Changes Vs Original:
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-new.png
(Alloys and the Body Colored C-Pillar)

@Moderators - Please merge with my previous post if required.
vj1303 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 21:01   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti's excellent after-sales support network
Thanks for the good review. I do have my one cent request to all reviewers,

Wide network? Yes. But is it "excellent"? That's a gross overstatement. I believe we should let this point out of car reviews and stick purely to the car technicalities in all the reviews.

Last edited by Theyota : 25th July 2015 at 21:02. Reason: q
Theyota is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 21:19   #82
BHPian

Why on earth does Fiat give their engine to someone else to make its debut? I think, while calculating monthly sales numbers, we should add maruti diesel sales to Fiat's numbers: ) There is a dialogue in film Swades, "Apani choukhat ka diya dusare ke ghar lagana" All Lineas, Puntos and Avventuras must be saying this
Old 25th July 2015, 21:45   #83
BANNED

Was just browsing through Nexa dealership's where they had displayed two design's of alloy wheels as I hate the stock alloys that look like radiator fan!

The display alloys are of 4 nuts's:
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-untitled.jpg

Whereas the S-Cross gets 5 nuts:
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-marutiscross23.jpg

Am I missing something here? To me the second one in the picture looks like Ciaz's 16" wheel.

Hope the picture in the NEXA's website is mainly for illustration purpose and IF they do give alloys as options then hope they do get some good designs.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit View Post
Why on earth does Fiat give their engine to someone else to make its debut?
Who'll buy the Fiat if they add the 1.6L MJD directly and debut.

What Fiat does is use Maruti as guinea pigs where the engine is put to through tests by customers as sales are high for Maruti and later on once all the fun and drama is done, Fiat cooly launches the same in their portfolio. Sad IMO for Fiat lovers but Maruti will be happy to get the MJD!

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th July 2015 at 21:48.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 21:54   #84
BHPian

Great Review! Enjoyed reading the details.

My 2 cents. Maruti should have launched with an automatic variant as an option as well. Maruti has now an automatic option even in the Alto then why not in the S CROSS?!! People who primarily drive in the city definitely would go for it. Somehow while slowly the automakers are warming up to the automatic as an option they don't seem to have it as part of their main scheme of things.

FIAT also should learn from this. They have been too conservative and have not yet have the 1.6 multijet as an option in the Linea or Punto and they also do not have an automatic option!! Probably they fear selling more cars then!!!!
Higgs_Boson_i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 22:15   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Does that mean that where NEXA is not available (smaller cities/towns), they will be available via the normal Maruti dealerships?
Here is an extract from the Nexa homepage, answering your query( see c)

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 7146
Size:  63.8 KB
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 22:44   #86
BHPian

Nice review S2 and Rehan!
Off road behaviour details, comparison with the competition and other details are sorely missed.
Coming to the car it looks dated even before launch. Interiors are unmistakably Maruti. Same rudimentary steering shared across all cars, cheap buttons and plastics, alloys don't go with the premium image. Rather than a premium cross it looks like a hatch on steroids. And which product of Maruti is competitively priced so that S-Cross would be?
Provided it has FIAT sourced engine, low level of localisation, royalty to be paid to FIAT, I don't see any chance.
Welcome move from Maruti to take safety seriously.
As usual it will sail on Maruti's brand and A.S.S.

I would buy Aventura with the same engine over S-Cross any day.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 23:04   #87
BHPian

I once had the chance to drive the first generation Suzuki swift diesel. The old swift also suffered with the same problem of turbo lag below 2000 rpm. The turbo took its time to spool up and after 2000 rpm – whoosh! That surge was quite exhilarating and exciting. The, now defunct, optra magnum also had this characteristic. The new generation swift diesel is a lot more refined with the turbo kicking in sooner and more linearly thus making it easier to live with and maybe, dare I say it, a bit boring.

Now to highlight a few statements made in the Team bhp review :-

“Get in the turbo zone (past 1,750 rpm) and there is a wild surge of power. Get this: if you completely mash the A-pedal in 1st or 2nd gears above 2,000 rpm, you can feel some torque steer (car pulling to the left). The diesel engine relentlessly pulls all the way to its 5,000 rpm redline, with power only just beginning to taper off in the final 250 rpm. What's more, the diesel doesn't sound too strained or coarse, even when it's being driven hard.”

There was a manic laughter inside my head as I read the above few lines. This car should be bloody entertaining to drive. Its better to get your hands on it now before maruti takes george of the jungle outside the jungle and decks him in a tuxedo.

Eagerly waiting for the TDs to start.
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 23:04   #88
BHPian

Can someone suggest a good and relatively inexpensive ICE set up for the s cross with the current HU? I was thinking about JBL carstage, but I am not a 'treble' lover.Would love some good punchy mids and lows with some tight bass. Budget: 20-30 k. I have a six year old sony 1000 W sub- bass tube and a sony 2 channel amp.
Old 25th July 2015, 23:48   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_3000ad View Post
There was a manic laughter inside my head as I read the above few lines. This car should be bloody entertaining to drive. Its better to get your hands on it now before maruti takes george of the jungle outside the jungle and decks him in a tuxedo.

Same thoughts running in my mind as I have heard news of Maruti developing their own 1.5L Diesel mill for the S-Cross, Ciaz and the rest cars. Now if they develop one and get the 1.6L MJD off the S-Cross I will be disappointed totally.

Hope they do not do any changes (engine wise) for the next 1-1.5 years till I buy the SCross in this avatar.
Old 25th July 2015, 23:55   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Well written review. I am convinced that this will be an ideal upgrade for our SX4 before which I was looking away from Maruti and this car has got me back interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Am I missing something here? To me the second one in the picture looks like Ciaz's 16" wheel.

Hope the picture in the NEXA's website is mainly for illustration purpose and IF they do give alloys as options then hope they do get some good designs.

EDIT:

Who'll buy the Fiat if they add the 1.6L MJD directly and debut.

What Fiat does is use Maruti as guinea pigs where the engine is put to through tests by customers as sales are high for Maruti and later on once all the fun and drama is done, Fiat cooly launches the same in their portfolio. Sad IMO for Fiat lovers but Maruti will be happy to get the MJD!
The alloys were just fillers for the photo-shoot. They couldn't leave the space empty no? Hence easy way is to flick some alloys from the usual dealership and nail it there just to make it look nice and occupied. The first one on top isn't even a 16 incher I guess. Only the bottom one is from the Ciaz which again isn't compatible with this car.

Regarding engine, its all in the numbers. Fiat didn't have the prospects a company like Maruti had to do the job of importing the engine, bearing some loss to keep prices low and related work. Now that MS has got it, they might obtain some import surplus and put them into the Linea maybe They are in the process of developing a 1.5L mill says everyone. But that again will be feasible only if they have a consistent demand from Maruti, OR if India will become an export hub for them in the future.

It's a really welcome move Maruti woke up from a deep slumber filled with fuel efficiency types dreams and decided to offer something from the performance point of view as well. Didn't expect them to import engines to give a good package.

My guess is that they will NOT be charging a heavy premium for the 1.6L even though its imported. And Zauba shows that lots of engine components are being imported from Italy. Maybe they want to start localized production as well?
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed