Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2015, 23:32   #151
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

The car looks decent enough but those alloys!!

I am wondering about the NEXA strategy for India (not sure about the global market). Maruti sold 1.02 Lakh cars in Jun 15 across its 1000 (? please clarify if incorrect) points of sale. That is about 100 cars per showroom on average. The competitors to S-Cross are say, i-20 Elite, Duster, and Ecosport - these ranging in sales from 10000 for the Elite i20 to 3600 for ecosport to 2300 for the Duster per month. If the S-cross is to be judged successful, it must sell at least 5000-6000 a month, if not over 7000. For 35 odd showrooms, that means 200 cars a month! That is a big problem for a showroom selling exactly ONE car model, even if you leave out the accessibility aside. Now what might the sales projections and the built-in costs for these premium service showrooms do to the price of the car? The RMs from more service oriented industries such as finance/airlines are going to be expensive. Those industries operate on the model of lifetime value of customer based on frequency+spend on services (e.g. credit cards or privileged banking or some platinum frequent flyer). Even separate showrooms for premium customers is not a first as a ceiling breaking strategy (SBI Kohinoor branches). There is a fundamental difference. A car is a product. Further, a car purchase is once every few years at best, with infrequent service and repairs. And most things premium, RMs or services or lounges, cost a lot and come at a price - for the consumer.
That begs the question: how will the S-Cross be priced and will this car with segment leading torque be able to shoulder that load?
The confusing branding is unavoidable. Maruti wants to position the S-Cross a bit farther than its siblings, by the lack of too much Maruti emphasis on the car styling, but not so much as to lose attention to the NEXA showrooms, lest people think it's a used car showroom and forego it.

I hope Maruti wins with this one, I need to replace my SX-4 and this seems like a good successor. Will it be a better buy than the Ecosport, which is my current favourite in this segment (doubting already)?
Delta Wing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 00:01   #152
BHPian

I am quite surprised nobody has touched the topic regarding cost of servicing for 1.6 engine, I presume I would atleast 30 percent higher than 1.3 ddis engine.
Long shot, incase these engines are only being imported then post warranty spare parts wont be readily available.

We know maruti because of reasonable cost of spare parts and after market parts availability. Also not sure durability of 1.6 mjd engine and it's sensitivity to our Indian fuel.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th July 2015 at 00:28. Reason: merging posts.
Old 27th July 2015, 00:46   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
I am wondering about the NEXA strategy for India (not sure about the global market). For 35 odd showrooms, that means 200 cars a month!

The confusing branding is unavoidable. Maruti wants to position the S-Cross a bit farther than its siblings, by the lack of too much Maruti emphasis on the car styling, but not so much as to lose attention to the NEXA showrooms, lest people think it's a used car showroom and forego it.
No offence to you but there is Nothing confusing or alarming for the NEXA concept except that the showrooms will be opened only in major cities. The 35 dealerships is the current figure. Wait for a while as they'll open 100 more.

Not a problem again as the nearest regular Maruti Suzuki dealership will take the booking on NEXA's behalf, allot you am RM. Pass on your contacts, documents etc to that RM where he'll take over and get you the car delivered the NEXA way. You'll be driven to the nearest NEXA to check the car and TD it and go ahead with the booking experience. Since buying is a single time process this shouldn't be an issue. Servicing will be at regular MASS but that servicing will be going through your RM and not the regular SA who does his duty at MASS.

Let them try their hands first and see if it burns them or applauds them. Why should be get negative even before things kick - start.

Last edited by a4anurag : 27th July 2015 at 00:47.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 00:47   #154
BHPian

I am not sure about the NEXA branding. You either spin off a brand completely to address a different demographic like Toyota did with Scion or you stick to the same brand. You can't have cars with the "Suzuki" badge only sold through exclusive dealerships, yet serviced through regular service centers and assume that the product offering will be seen as "premium". Does anyone see it as anything else but a Suzuki?
Old 27th July 2015, 01:01   #155
Senior - BHPian

Instead of the whole NEXA thing, why can't the company insist on similar standards across all their dealerships especially in major metros? Perhaps the whole RM dealing with you personally could be done only for the more expensive models but this, I feel, would do a lot more to lift the brands image in the country
Old 27th July 2015, 05:53   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Preparing for these lights as these are standard in all models except the top spec alpha. These large headlights could be a 'carbuncle on kyphosis' or an eyesore. Maybe aftermarket options would come later.
I am on the same train. I hope the Alpha spec Bi-Xenon MGA headlamps can be fitted to a lower end model if needed.

Here are my decision factors as of now
- I dont like the alloys and the touchscreen console. If i buy the Alpha spec and replace both of them, it would cost me a lot of extra $$$
- If i buy the Delta trim, which dont have the touch screen or the alloys, i will loose Auto AC and Xenon projector head lamps.
- Why cant they offer all variants with Projector headlamps just like Ciaz? (Even offering Bi-Xenon only on the top variant is good enough ). The projector head lamps is the only cool looking thing remaining on S-Cross (after the blunt front grill and the ugly alloys ). Why maruti? why?
Old 27th July 2015, 07:35   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post

I hope Maruti wins with this one, I need to replace my SX-4 and this seems like a good successor. Will it be a better buy than the Ecosport, which is my current favourite in this segment (doubting already)?

I believe S Cross is certainly more car than Ecosport. For how much money we will come to know soon.

It's only that Ecosport looks more SUV kind than S Cross. Otherwise Ecosport is beaten in almost all departments hollow. S cross is more spacious, more powerful in DDIS 320, more premium inside, much more fun to drive and more stable on the highways. Both the cars are not meant to be off roaders anyways.

The only question here is the amount of money over Ecosport you need to pay to get a S Cross. Having seen the car in flesh, I will never settle for Ecosport over it if I am in the market unless Maruti prices it out of reach. The car is simply one size bigger. No questions about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The S-cross in blue color was displayed today at the Inorbit mall.
So, had a chance to check it up.

Considering the car is yet to be launched and being a Sunday evening, the crowd was not huge. Seems like the buzz/awareness of the S-Cross is not so strong!

First things first, the car is not a looker. The only redeeming aspect of the looks is the nice projector headlamps and good detailing of the headlight. The side profile is bland and the tail is okayish. And lot has been said about those alloys - I guess the less said the better. Owners who buy the car will need to explain to the other people why the car is so costly ( I have lot of experience about this being a previous gen Jazz owner )

Things are much better on the inside. The car displayed was most probably the top end trim with leather package. I didn't find soft touch plastics and all but the quality of the plastics seemed pretty good.
Strangely here in Pune there was quite a buzz about the car. Surprised that you did not notice soft touch plastic on the Dash. It's pretty evident and not hidden away or something. In fact among the first things I noticed.

I also believe you are right in comparing the car with Jazz. Most buyers will do that specially the DDIS 200. Which is why I believe it is important the way Maruti prices this variant. DDIS 320 will in all probabilities be pricey.

Last edited by vibbs : 27th July 2015 at 07:49.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 07:46   #158
Senior - BHPian

Good points:
Fantastic engine (1.6)
Lots of space
Good ground clearance
Decent interiors
Good headlights

Negatives :
Perceived premiumness missing
Bland front end
Doesn't look new, cutting edge or eye catching at the first glance
Positioned as a mini SUV. But doesn't cut it, because of obvious hatchback / station wagon looks
Probable pricing of about 15 lacs on road for the top end

Will it sell well? Depends on the target audience. People who are in the market for a large premiumish hatch may buy. People who want to own a quasi SUV will look else where say Hyundai or the competition.
Old 27th July 2015, 08:22   #159
BHPian

Nice review. Thank you.

The car looks nice and understated but for the customary chrome splashes! Reminds of the Chevrolet SRV ..

while the 1.6 looks great, I would rather wait until localization is higher - as a Skoda owner I dread PNA! (Parts Not Available) As much as I might enjoy the ride, I think I'll let my head rule my heart.
Old 27th July 2015, 08:34   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Was just browsing through Nexa dealership's where they had displayed two design's of alloy wheels as I hate the stock alloys that look like radiator fan!
The display alloys are of 4 nuts's....
On speaking with Nexa personnel, the following list of accessories are expected.

1. Alloy wheels (exchanged wheels will not be taken back- yet to be decided though)
2. Tire Pressure Monitoring system
3. Rear Seat entertainment system (tablet)
Old 27th July 2015, 09:04   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Instead of the whole NEXA thing, why can't the company insist on similar standards across all their dealerships especially in major metros? Perhaps the whole RM dealing with you personally could be done only for the more expensive models but this, I feel, would do a lot more to lift the brands image in the country
I don't think that raising the standards of existing dealerships was on their minds when maruti decided to go through the NEXA route to sell the S-cross. The existing standards of maruti dealerships are pretty good. I've got my swift serviced at lucknow, delhi, jabalpur and even siliguri and nowhere did i find either their front end or back end lagging. Ofcourse exceptions will be there and i'm not discounting that.

Maruti has already been scalded twice when launching premium products, read the kizashi and the vitara, and they wanted to go through a different route for the s-cross. This route mainly focuses on changing the perception of maruti as solely a manufacturer of cheap and affordable cars. I had made a post in the NEXA thread. I'm just requoting that to share a few of my points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_3000ad View Post
A customer who is looking to plonk in 10-20 lakh rupees of his hard earned money on a car desires some individualized attention. He wants to step into a pristine luxurious showroom. He wants to interact with a sales team who are knowledgeable and pleasing to the eye. He does not want to hob nob with the hoi polloi looking for altos and dzires. Something akin to the expectations of a business class traveler vis-à-vis an economy class traveler.

Another factor is the vast product portfolio of Maruti Suzuki. A product division is required to better manage the footfalls.
In my opinion NEXA makes sense because it will also act as a base for maruti to launch more premium cars. The upcoming fronx maybe.

However as with all things new and novel, only time will tell.
Old 27th July 2015, 09:08   #162

The only thing that interests me is that 1.6 DDIS. Apart from that, everything is typical Maruti. Good interiors for the price you pay, lovely manners and inoffensive to look at and the same old 1.3l DDIS. Pricing is going to be crucial and I guess it's going to be on the same lines as the Duster and would definitely be undercutting Creta.
People do know that Maruti is launching a new car but the craze has somewhat subsided after the official pictures came out.

As someone who has an Ertiga in the family I know the pain of turbo lag. The excitement of whoosh goes down with time and becomes a habit but the lag nags. Almost always.
HVSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 09:38   #163
BHPian

Thanks very much for yet another fantastic review. Was a pleasant weekend surprise to see it published as I returned from a short overnight trip to Mysore.

I actually rented a self-drive EcoSport for my trip, just to be sure that my long standing interest in the mini-SUV is actually stemming from practical reasons rather than the emotion of ownership aspiration. I really want to get my hands on the S-Cross soonest possible.

BTW, While I'm beginning to understand and getting used to the characteristic turbo-lag associated with Diesels, I'm wondering if this behavior will actually be a boon in bumber-bumper traffic, especially with tall gear ratios (I read that the DDiS320 can do well above the 40 kmph in the 1st gear!) negating the need to up/down shift frequently. Will be really interesting to see if the DDiS200 has any changes in its state of tune vis-a-vis the Ciaz.

Agree that the Ford 1.5 mill does not exhibit the kind of turbo lag the Fiat 1.6 is supposedly reported to, but a TD will help understand how this "crawling effect" really feels in practice.

Coming to the alloys, I heard the design was deliberate and meant to ape the ubiquitous MS wheel-caps, just to ensure upgrading loyalists are not disappointed! Need I say I'm kidding!? :

For now, the on-hold and in-consideration status of the Rapid DSG and the EcoSport TDi remain status quo ...

Last edited by pannags : 27th July 2015 at 09:49. Reason: Added content
Old 27th July 2015, 09:39   #164
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

On speaking with Nexa personnel, the following list of accessories are expected.

1. Alloy wheels (exchanged wheels will not be taken back- yet to be decided though)
2. Tire Pressure Monitoring system
3. Rear Seat entertainment system (tablet)
Great news. Hope it is true. I'll be mainly interested in the 1st one only. 2nd one I have bought already.

3rd one not sure if I'll use though and I guess it'll be fit in the front seat headrests.

Last edited by a4anurag : 27th July 2015 at 09:41.
Old 27th July 2015, 09:51   #165
Senior - BHPian

Since there are sensors mounted on the windshield - how does it work when the windshield needs replacement - breakage or otherwise?

Does it call for replacement of sensors too? how costly such changes are?

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks