Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2015, 15:40   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Punto, Linea and I think even the Zest has it I think and even the Safari Storme. I knew about the Punto and Linea but discounted any other cars that nobody bothers to buy.
Aww, that hurts (Just kidding). Yeah - from the mainstream, Maruti is the first to offer this feature. Maruthi have sure bucked so many trends here and I think this is the first car (other than gypsy) where they did not go by their unwritten rule of 'Kitna Deti Hein' ( The 1.6 mill). Really happy to see this trend.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 15:43   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
On a separate note, Suzuki seems to use the same power window buttons even on their more expensive cars, so we shouldn't complain. I just feel that VW know how to make things look and feel high-quality, while Maruti doesn't even though they definitely do the job and last.
I have been a Maruti owner/user from 1993. We had power window swiches in the Wagon R 2005 and then on the Dzire 2008. Till now none of the switches have stopped working. Front window switches had to be replaced in our accent 2001 once. True it feels cheap and feel not built to last, but somehow gets the job done.

About the price. Sedans are available at this price points. I feel that if we try to equip a car say Vento (now almost 13L OTR here) with AVN screen, HID lamps, genuine leather, automatic lamps, wider tyres, the price will easily cross 15L
Old 27th July 2015, 15:58   #198
Senior - BHPian

Motorbeam has conducted a shootout of all 3 cars - Ecosport, S Cross 1.3 and Duster 85 bhp as their price ranges would be similar.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/07/car...arison-review/
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 16:13   #199
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic product from MSIL. But there should have been more color choices. They have come out with lot of engine options. I miss Red .
Old 27th July 2015, 16:49   #200
BHPian

Nexa start seems to be a bit abnormal in Kochi I think. I had already booked the car, but I got 2 phone calls from two RMs canvasing me to book the car. Seems like I ll have to go and enquire whether my booking has been taken or not? Any one else had the same experience. Or is it peculiar to Nexa Kochi. ??

Its usually the same salesperson who keeps in touch in the usual case. Here I think everyone is confused. Nexa seems to be in some sort of delirium. Feels like they ll mess up my booking. Is this the new experience that MSIL was talking about. Anyways this has got me a bit worried.
Old 27th July 2015, 17:08   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Nexa start seems to be a bit abnormal in Kochi I think. I had already booked the car, but I got 2 phone calls from two RMs canvasing me to book the car. Seems like I ll have to go and enquire whether my booking has been taken or not? Any one else had the same experience. Or is it peculiar to Nexa Kochi. ??

Its usually the same salesperson who keeps in touch in the usual case. Here I think everyone is confused. Nexa seems to be in some sort of delirium. Feels like they ll mess up my booking. Is this the new experience that MSIL was talking about. Anyways this has got me a bit worried.
If you've made the booking, ask for an MSIL (Maruti Suzuki India Ltd.) Order number.
This is the order database that Maruti maintains and is the only thing that can confirm that your booking has been passed on to Maruti.
Old 27th July 2015, 17:10   #202
BHPian

There is not a single stand out feature in this car, not one. Why would anyone pay a premium price (assume its more than 10L Mumbai) for this?

And the same parts bin for a car thats to be positioned higher? What is Suzuki thinking? Just imagine the wasted costs of setting up a different dealership network + makrketing + publicity, what a downer.

Anything in excess of 45000 cars annually would be a bonus for NEXA.
Old 27th July 2015, 17:26   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khushrav View Post
There is not a single stand out feature in this car, not one. Why would anyone pay a premium price (assume its more than 10L Mumbai) for this?
I would pay for following features:
  1. Two Airbags and ABS
  2. 4 disc brakes
  3. Space
  4. 60:40 split seat at rear
  5. Projector Headlamps
  6. Cruise control and steering mounted controls
  7. Touch screen Audio Sysyem
  8. ACC
  9. Auto wipers and head lamps
  10. Alloy wheels (though ugly)
  11. Reliability
  12. After Sales Service

What are my other options?
sourabhzen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 18:14   #204
Senior - BHPian

As of today, if 1.6L Fiat engine with exceptional high speed stability are not stand-out features for you, then what can one say.
Suppose MSIL sells more than 45000 S-Cross, will it be considered a flop or average, I would consider it a success.

Quote:
carwatcher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 18:14   #205

Definitely a "INDIA CAR". But Don't see a point why this is placed in premium offering through NEXA and a better offering like Ciaz will sit in normal showroom.
Old 27th July 2015, 18:57   #206
BANNED

Quote:

And the same parts bin for a car thats to be positioned higher? What is Suzuki thinking? Just imagine the wasted costs of setting up a different dealership network + makrketing + publicity, what a downer.

As I mentioned earlier, many people couldn't digest/admit the fact that Maruti has come up with a product that is so competitive in areas like build quality, space, features, power, FE etc. They were just waiting for a car which is average in these areas to crib about, but Maruti shocked them with a master stroke. I expect they will price it as per the expectation of the average Indian buyer, and don't go greedy as Hyundai.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th July 2015 at 19:00.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 20:08   #207
BHPian

As a past owner of a Ford Fusion with a thirsty but eager 1.6 duratec, boxy looks and the earliest semblance to a station wagon cum crossover I think this car is doomed. I like everything that Maruti has done to up the game but Indian consumers will be bowled over by the Creta. Because it looks like an SUV. Although more like a kid with muscles. I remember people ridiculed me about choosing Fusion over the dolphin City saying 'so much money and you did not get even a boot' !

Last edited by ampere : 27th July 2015 at 20:26. Reason: Formatted post
Old 27th July 2015, 20:20   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X202 View Post
Definitely a "INDIA CAR". But Don't see a point why this is placed in premium offering through NEXA and a better offering like Ciaz will sit in normal showroom.
Ciaz is a decent car. However, the S Cross trumps it in terms of quality. In the future MSIL will be launching more products thru the NEXA dealerships. It is a good idea to stabilise a new system with a comparatively lower volume product, finetune the system before going flat out. Once this channel is established , the Ciaz may also move to it. The Nexa dealerships also did nott exist when the Ciaz ws launched. MSIL has plans to offer the YRA thru NEXA, so there is no reason not to offer Ciaz thru it.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 21:23   #209
BHPian

Even though not a deal-breaker, I am not really happy with the positioning of the USB and Aux ports in this car. There is not much difference between this and the much criticized placement in the Jazz. I definitely agree the compartment under arm-rest is better place than the glove box and it is the dangling low quality wires that has warranted the heavy criticism in the Jazz, wouldn't the area below ACC and near the 12V port be the ideal placement of these ports? If I need to hear music using Aux and also use the navigation of my phone or charge the phone in tandem, the current placement makes it impossible. Hyundai's placement is the best IMO.

Also wondering how successful the DDiS 200 variant will this car be, if it is going to be priced on par or above Ciaz. People will still go for a sedan for that kind of money. Case would be different if the S-Cross was positioned as a SUV like the Ecosport or Creta. But Maruti is being very honest here and positioning it as a crossover and it also looks like one. Will be a very tricky situation here for Maruti and the pricing will not only define the success of S-Cross but also the Nexa business model as well. I am sure the DDiS 320 will be positioned as a niche model and will fall above Duster and below Creta in the pricing. That is purely for the enthusiasts though. A common man will seldom put 14-15 lakhs to buy a hatchback looking vehicle - How much ever capable it may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Was surprised to see soft touch dash in a car of this segment. Even the Creta doesn't have it and nowadays no car below D segment 20 lakhs has soft plastics.
Well Vid, if I am not mistaken, even Duster now gets a soft-touch dashboard since the last face-lift. Yes, Creta does not have it but this is definitely not a segment first feature. And as pointed out in a different post, Punto and Linea also gets soft-touch plastics on the dashboard. I, however, don't think the Zest gets soft-touch plastics - I haven't checked the car out, but do not remember reading such a thing in our review or any other online reviews.

Quote:
Come on sir, S-Cross gets a LOT of segment firsts and stand out features. I am wondering how you missed all of them. Listing a few I can remember at the back of my hand.
  • 1.6 L DDiS 320 + 6 speed gearbox with 320 Mn of torque - segment best
  • Bi-Xenon HID projector headlamps + LED positioning lamps - segment fist
  • All round disc brakes - segment first
  • Cruise Control - segment first
  • Auto headlamps and wipers - segment best
  • Tilt and Telescopic steering - segment first (if you consider S-Cross to be above Ecosport, else it is segment best)
  • Reverse Sensors + Camera with adaptive guidelines - segment best
  • Sporty All black interiors with soft-touch dashboard and leather seats
  • 7" Touch screen AVN unit - segment best
  • Safety features in ALL variants
Really sad that you found none of these to be stand out features.

Last edited by Vigkey : 27th July 2015 at 21:30.
Vigkey is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 22:55   #210
BHPian

Nice review S2 and Rehaan!

To be very frank I had discounted this car before reading the reviews but once I was through I realised that this appealed to the head and heart (1.6). If Maruti manage to price it decently they sure do have a winner on their hands. I feel some of the sales figures may surprise us and them too. This might just be the underdog in the fight between the 10-15 lacs crossover/mini SUV space which may come out the winner in the end.

My only grouse so far is the lack of an automatic option especially since the international version gets one. I hope Maruti finds it prudent to offer one in the future on this and the Ciaz as well. That should be some car and will surely shake up the segment further.

I have my heart set on the top spec 1.6 despite wanting an automatic variant. Good luck to Maruti hope the positive review doesn't have a negative impact on pricing like it did for the Creta.

Most Viewed