Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2015, 00:21   #286
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapeco View Post
The key for the S-Cross is going to be the pricing. Price it anything closer to the Creta and its doomed to fail.
Then the Creta will appear to be VFM. Especially the SX would appear to be VFM when compared to the 1.6 Alpha / Delta even if priced at 14 L OTR.

But the 1.3 delta/zeta can be a run-a-way success if priced closer to i20 active.
sandygordon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 00:40   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Then the Creta will appear to be VFM. Especially the SX would appear to be VFM when compared to the 1.6 Alpha / Delta even if priced at 14 L OTR.
Absolutely. I think the good folks at Nissan and Renault must have been quite happy initially when the pricing for the Creta was announced. But i have seen worried looks on the faces of the Sales team at both the dealerships in my city. It seems quite a few potential customers who were ready to part with their money have all of a sudden changed their minds and gone ahead and booked the Creta.

It seems the women in the families of those potential customers, and like we all know have magical persuading powers, have taken to the diesel AT variant of the Creta. But looks is what attracted these potential buyers to the Creta in the first place, and then of course its the peace of mind which comes from owning a Hyundai.

Last edited by sapeco : 30th July 2015 at 00:42. Reason: text
Old 30th July 2015, 00:42   #288
Team-BHP Support

I agree that engine is imported so there maybe some premium pricing. But VW used to import the 1.6L TDI engine and so did Hyundai. While the numbers of the S-cross 1.6L are quite impressive, the numbers of the Vw 1.5L TDI with 105PS (at the wheels) and Hyundai 1.6L CRDI (128PS) are pretty much on par.

Therefore, Maruti should see that the 1.6 MJD is pretty much on par for a sedan, crossover of this segment.

The extra features are good to have but the looks can only be made up with competitive pricing.

Since the top end Ciaz is 10.3L ex showroom Delhi, my guess would be 1.2 - 1.4 lakhs premium for the 1.6L engine and the additional features over the Ciaz such as xenon lights, rear discs, auto lights, wipers and better interior quality.

Anything more than 11.6-11.8 or worse case 12L ex-showroom and Maruti will have a big problem with the 1.6L engine.

The 1.3 should ideally be 50-70K more than the Ciaz.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 01:02   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Anything more than 11.6-11.8 or worse case 12L ex-showroom and Maruti will have a big problem with the 1.6L engine.

The 1.3 should ideally be 50-70K more than the Ciaz.
This is a bit off topic..Can't help but realise that with all these new SUV's and Crossovers pricing themselves upwards of 10L ex-showroom that the Ford Ecosport is really looking Absolute VALUE for money. If you take aside the sub 4m length, Its got the Good Looks and Robust built quality. Not to mentioned service costs that are pretty reasonable. My Swift Dzire diesel used to cost more to service than my Ecosport Diesel does today.

Mods please delete post if you find it off topic.

Last edited by sapeco : 30th July 2015 at 01:07. Reason: text
sapeco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 07:19   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Ford Ecosport is really looking Absolute VALUE for money. If you take aside the sub 4m length, Its got the Good Looks and Robust built quality. Not to mentioned service costs that are pretty reasonable.

Especially the Titanium 2 airbag version. It saves around 25K on roadtax compared to the pricier options version. Sub 4m length saves around additional 30K. Add to that the excise cuts on the sub 1.5 L displacement.

There are no Hyundai Creta (1.4) to compete with that version in price. The 1.4 S+ that is supposed to be feature matched is almost 1.8 L dearer.

Then there is the 1.6 SX that is 2.2 L more than the Ecosport Titanium (base) which is feature matched. (For the extra 2.2 L you get 36 additional horses, 30nm of torque (on paper), more leg room, softer ride, larger body, better plastics, rear ac vents with an equally powerful ac, projectors and DRLs, better looks, larger boot, larger seats for the driver, larger screen for a better sounding audio-system and an extra 6th cog. Are all these worth extra 2L, will depend upon the customer's perspective. Add to that the loss of almost 70k in taxes and extra insurance. For me the extra features and loss are worth commanding a premium of say 1.5 L. The Creta may be a bit overpriced by 50-75K than what it offers.(my perspective)

I am sure majority would not want the S cross to be compared to the ecosport. But the S cross 1.3 delta or the zeta is equally equipped and the delta variant will undercut the Titanium variant. The Maruti would lose only in the looks department IMO. And there is the 'Sync' in the Ecosport (Who cares about these gimmicks these days?). But people planning on buying the ecosport will go for it, as they want an SUV. S cross may woo only those on the fence. Will have to see the S Cross prices to decide on VFM.

Last edited by sandygordon : 30th July 2015 at 07:32. Reason: Adding text
Old 30th July 2015, 08:29   #291
BHPian

Bixenons as standard! Wow. Now that's something that would interest me in this otherwise bland car. I hope that's not reserved as some high end option.
Old 30th July 2015, 08:49   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Bixenons as standard! Wow. Now that's something that would interest me in this otherwise bland car. I hope that's not reserved as some high end option.
They are not standard. HID only for the top ends
sandygordon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 09:08   #293
BHPian

Ever since the news of the S Cross coming to the market surfaced , i have many times gone to Suzuki Australia web site as the cross was launched much earlier there and with an RHS version it was presumed that we would get similar Cross in India. The one in India is similar to the GL version there and i have seen many photoshops of better alloy wheels, the GLX there gets different and better looking alloys. The photographs of both are appended for ease of comparison. Am sure the next upgrade from Suzuki will carry these.

Now what baffles me a bit is that with the same dimensions the boot in the Australian version is 430 Ltrs as against 353 Ltrs here. Can somebody who has the knowledge clarify how? Have attached a snap of dimensions page also
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-gl.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-glx.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-cross.jpg  

Old 30th July 2015, 09:14   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Now what baffles me a bit is that with the same dimensions the boot in the Australian version is 430 Ltrs as against 353 Ltrs here. Can somebody who has the knowledge clarify how? Have attached a snap of dimensions page also
It's because of the full size spare wheel that we have in India, as opposed to the space saver in Australia. This takes the boot floor higher, robbing it of some litres of usable volume; the point has been specifically clarified by S2!! in the official review.

Last edited by rednikhil : 30th July 2015 at 09:17.
rednikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 09:17   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
It's because of the full size spare wheel that we have in India, as opposed to the space saver in Australia. This takes the boot floor higher, robbing it of some litres of usable volume; the point has been specifically clarified by S2!! In the official review.
Thanks, I think I missed that out in the review.
Even i thought so initially, but still wanted to know for sure.
So that means you don't have a spare there and still they advertise it for cross country adventure!

Last edited by nkghai : 30th July 2015 at 09:19.
Old 30th July 2015, 09:21   #296
BHPian

I did see the spare mentioned as a space saver if I remember correctly. You may ckeck it from their e brochure to confirm.
Old 30th July 2015, 09:32   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Unfortunately SchumiFan, Creta manages to look better than S-Cross and more importantly it manages to look like an SUV.
Quote:
SchumiFan, i think Vigkey has summed it up quite nicely.

The key for the S-Cross is going to be the pricing. Price it anything closer to the Creta and its doomed to fail.
So except for the looks there doesn't seem to be any point mentioned as a plus for Creta against S-Cross. That doesn't seem like a lot but in the end it is the buyer's money and he puts it where he thinks he gets VFM.

I agree that the pricing is the key for S-Cross and certain things that Maruti have done makes me believe it will be priced competitively.

And as Vid6639 mentions, the Vento 1.6L and the Verna 1.6L are above 4M in length and had an engine that didn't get the excise benefits. Considering their own offering in that segment, a 1L - 1.5L premium for the 1.6L engine can be considered as good pricing for the S-Cross against the Ciaz.

Also to be noted that only the Alpha variants carry all the bells & whistles while the other variants have quite a few features knocked off. This might help them with the pricing as well. Lets see, the launch is near and the wait is getting feverish. More Nexas are the need of the hour for Maruti. 1 showroom for Chennai is a stupid move and they need to utilize the malls to display and get bookings for the car as well.

Quote:
This is a bit off topic..Can't help but realise that with all these new SUV's and Crossovers pricing themselves upwards of 10L ex-showroom that the Ford Ecosport is really looking Absolute VALUE for money.
If we are to consider Ecosport, then one can go with the i20 Active 1.4SX since it offers a lot more features than the Ecosport and at a price that is 1L less than the Diesel Titanium version.

The dimensions are similar for both the car but for the height and the GC is comparable too.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 30th July 2015 at 09:35.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 09:37   #298
BHPian

OffTopic: Been reading through all the reviews and was wondering what everyone is going to do about these new touch screens that are coming up in new automobiles. We rush to purchase a screen protector as soon as we get a new smart phone. Has anyone purchased a touch screen protector for their cars?
Old 30th July 2015, 09:50   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is a bit off topic..Can't help but realise that with all these new SUV's and Crossovers pricing themselves upwards of 10L ex-showroom that the Ford Ecosport is really looking Absolute VALUE for money. If you take aside the sub 4m length, Its got the Good Looks and Robust built quality. Not to mentioned service costs that are pretty reasonable. My Swift Dzire diesel used to cost more to service than my Ecosport Diesel does today.
Totally agree on this. In fact I had made the same comment in the Aspire thread after I went to see the Aspire (quoting myself below). The Ecosport still makes a strong case for itself. And it is now available within 2-3 weeks. No insane waiting.

Anyway, with the S Cross and Creta launching and looking to be very good products, ensures that the buyer has options for a Cross Over/ SUV Kind of vehicle.

Depending on the S Cross price points, I assume a detailed comparison with the Ecosport will definitely be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Side note and OT: Could not help comparing the Ecosport with the Creta which I had seen a couple of days back. The Ecosport still makes a strong case for itself. And with the top end diesel at 13L OTR Bangalore, it is a full 4 L cheaper than the Creta. I would still give it serious consideration if I was in the market for a SUV kind of vehicle.
Old 30th July 2015, 10:03   #300
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Depending on the S Cross price points, I assume a detailed comparison with the Ecosport will definitely be needed.
Other than the price point based comparison, I don't think the space/size wise comparison will hold any good for the Ecosport. So, in my opinion someone considering S-Cross is better off comparing with Creta, Duster/Terrano (for an overall apple to apple comparison).

What am I missing ?

Last edited by NPV : 30th July 2015 at 10:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks