Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2015, 10:51   #391
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Safari without Airbags and these crossovers are the same price points. That was the reason for comparison. Which is the safer option at this price? That's what I am pondering on.
The safer car will be the monocoque crossover/SUV vs the ladder on frame old school SUV.

Unless the Safari fell off a same bridge at the same angle or the safari toppled the same way as the Duster, there's no way of saying which would have been safer in this particular case.

But overall a monocoque SUV/crossover will always be safer than a body on frame vehicle like the Safari, Scorpio, Quanto, Xylo.

Here's a video of a Safari accident which shows much less damage than the S-cross but notice the A pillar of the Safari.

I think we are speculating too much into this accident. It's a known fact that the newer monocoques have better crash protection than the old body on frame.

Secondly, the S-cross looks like it did not just meet with an accident but went tumbling down the side of a bridge. We don't know how. With this I doubt any car whether monocoque or ladder on frame will be able to withstand this sort of impact. However, my bet will always be on the monocoque in such a scenario.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 11:02   #392
BHPian

Quote:
After seeing the crash pictures of crossovers Duster, Creta and now SCross, I feel airbags are overrated. Tata Safari or Innova without airbags are safer.
Is it right?
Quote:
Cool down guys. I am just looking at pictures of toppled cars. Safari with Airbags is definitely safer than Safari without Airbags.
Now, look at the damage at A pillar of SCross. Or look at the picture of the duster which toppled on Mumbai - Pune expressway where rear passengers died because B,C pillars totally caved in. The Front passengers are serious despite the airbags.
I am just trying to think how Safari would fare here. Wouldn't the guy wearing just a seatbelt in Safari do better in these situations.

Safari without Airbags and these crossovers are the same price points. That was the reason for comparison. Which is the safer option at this price? That's what I am pondering on.
The point is any type of car you buy, a alto or a land cruiser, the airbags can save your life.

If you compare the pricing of Tata Safari with and without airbags, the difference maybe too little to protect yourself and your family. After all life is precious.

I hope ABS and Airbags become a must have feature across all variants like it is a mandate to wear a helmet while riding a bike.
Old 1st August 2015, 12:04   #393
Senior - BHPian

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Doc, the DDiS 200 would... suffer with lesser turbo lag, aiding to better in gear acceleration and better city driving.

A remapped 200 S cross, rated at 115hp and 250 Nm might just beat a stock 320, purely my guess as the same engine in the Linea, after getting remapped beats the T-jet in performance.

We must understand that turbo lag is always relative to the vehicles peak torque performance. Therefore while the 1.6 may not accelerate as furiously at 1200-1750rpm as it does after 1750, it is certainly going to accelerate better than the 1.3 in that same range. It is just that post 1750, the 1.6 wallops one in the rear, while the 1.3 keeps going a little more linearly.

I don't think the 1.6 is going to be any less driveable in the city, though I agree it will be significantly more expensive.

And imagine what a re-map would do for the 1.6
Old 1st August 2015, 12:20   #394
BHPian

I was going through the S-cross review in the autocar.uk website and this is what they have said

Quote:
On the face of it, the diesel version is a pretty ordinary performer. A power output of 118bhp is a pretty middling delivery for a 1.6-litre diesel, so it’s no surprise that it’s moderately quiet and quite responsive. It’s not overly boosted, and although its respectable 236lb ft of torque is developed from 1750rpm, it’s keen enough to pull from 1500rpm.
The reviews on team-bhp and other Indian websites say that the 1.6 MJD is explosive and the Indian reviews contradict the UK review. Is there any difference at all?

Also, I believe that the Delta variant does not come with the touch screen. This below is how the audio set-up looks in the UK variant. Could somebody say how it looks in the Indian variant? I think the integration is so much better.

Source : http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/suzuki/sx4-s-cross
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-suzuki_s_cross_stu_025.jpg  

Last edited by searacer932 : 1st August 2015 at 12:22.
Old 1st August 2015, 12:33   #395
BHPian

Quote:
After seeing the crash pictures of crossovers Duster, Creta and now SCross, I feel airbags are overrated. Tata Safari or Innova without airbags are safer.
Is it right?
Took me a while to wrap my head around "airbags are overrated". Airbags are not a substitute for poor driving and are meant to prevent serious injury to the passengers.

I would never buy a vehicle with less than two airbags in India - even if it is an additional cost and not provided by default.
Karthik_S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 13:28   #396
BHPian

Hope I had pictures of our old generation safari which met with an unfortunate accident on day 1 of transit. Total loss after it had hit a dumper then a divider at very high speed.

My point is accidents like these should encourage us to make better choices when it comes to driving on the road and selecting a car with safety features instead of Gizmos.

Coming to SCross I have seen the vehicle and it inspires confidence in me seeing the safety features. In case my budget permits I would go for it.

Drive Safe !!
Old 1st August 2015, 13:46   #397
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Guys, lets back to the S-cross. What needs to be said regarding airbags and ladder on frame vs monocoque has been said. We have dedicated threads on these as well. Please continue the discussion in one of those threads.

Thanks,
Team-BHP Support
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 14:55   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
I was going through the S-cross review in the autocar.uk website and this is what they have said

The reviews on team-bhp and other Indian websites say that the 1.6 MJD is explosive and the Indian reviews contradict the UK review. Is there any difference at all?

Also, I believe that the Delta variant does not come with the touch screen. This below is how the audio set-up looks in the UK variant. Could somebody say how it looks in the Indian variant? I think the integration is so much better.

Source : http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/suzuki/sx4-s-cross
This is a bespoke unit customized for the UK model. Here we are getting a standard 2-DIN rectangular unit. Hence it looks very aftermarket!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 18:28   #399
BHPian

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

I had an opportunity to check out the Scross and the Creta today. I am posting a comparison of the two primarily in the looks and interiors departments, since I only got to test drive the Creta.

Firstly, the Nexa showroom at ORR near EMC is still work in progress. There was lot of work happening there whilst we were checking out the car. I was immediately attended to by a well dressed RM who had an Ipad with him. He took me around the vehicle and explained about the vehicles displayed there both of which were 1.3 Alpha variants in Blue and Brown shades. I did lend my ear though was Already aware of all the features thanks to the great details of the Review on the forum😀. He did sound well prepared and knew his stuff. I was impressed with what I saw. Maruti has put a lot of effort in building the Nexa. Whether this is the right strategy only time will tell. Post the visit to Nexa I visited the Hyundai Showroom on ORR and did a TD of the same. Now for my take on the 2

Exteriors:
Looks are subjective and a lot has been said about Scross not having a great presence. I agree to this and Creta does come out as more SUVish compared to Scross. However, to me Creta appeared a pretender a wannabe SUV while Scross had a lot of character as a crossover. There was not many flowing and fluidic lines like the Creta, but the plain looks will probably age better. Scross looks big in person and probably as big as the Creta.

Overall I liked the Scross better and I may be among the minority.

Interiors:
This actually was where I was surprised. I always thought Maruti had a lot of catching up to do with Hyundai on interior fit and finish. Not with the Scross though. I was impressed with the overall fit and finish and design of the interiors compared to the Creta. Sure there are the odd buttons and levers that are of poor quality, but overall the design is more modern and pleasing.

Interior space is where again I felt the Scross trumps the Creta. The seats were more comfortable, leg room at the rear a little better than the Creta. Seats in the rear of the Creta are a little low with the window line being high giving a claustrophobic feeling. Scross on the other hand, despite the all black interiors, felt more open. 3 in the rear would probably be a little more comfortable in the Scross.

Overall in the interior department, in my books the Scross scores more points. Some missing features on the Scross like the rear AC vents and just 2 airbags on the Alpha is a let down though.

I TD the 1.6 Sx (O) diesel for a short 1km stretch. Started the engine and was super impressed with the refinement. The engine was silent and smooth like butter. Slotted the gears which were smooth and started off. There is a slight lag below 1500 rpm after which there is good surge of power. The steering felt light at low speeds though it weighed in on at speeds between 60-80kmph. I could not test it beyond this speed and hence can't comment on the steering feedback at higher speeds, but definitely my Sx4 feel was better. Can't comment much on the ride quality and handling as the stretch did not allow me to test either though my wife felt not very comfortable at the rear. Overall the drive was nice.

Now my heart was pulling towards the 1.6 Alpha brute, though I had not been able to TD it. Finally I let go of my mind and listened to the heart and booked a 1.6 Alpha. Blue was the first preference followed by silver. I have asked for a TD as soon as possible and the RM has promised me the same. He was mentioning that the top end 1.6 could be 13.5L ex showroom. That was a downer for me. If this is true OTR could be close to 17L. At that price I may end up cancelling and Maruti may end up losing a lot of customers. Maruti hope you are listening and the OTR for the same is not more than 15L in Bangalore.

Last edited by nurni76 : 1st August 2015 at 18:45.
nurni76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 19:22   #400
BHPian

On seeing the pictures of the crashed s-cross, it appears to be a deliberately beaten up car, using a bulldozer or something(I may be wrong). Because had it been an accident, there must be some signs of cutting of the panels, to remove the occupants. It would be really difficult for the passengers, to come out from such badly crushed car!!
Any expert opinions.
Old 1st August 2015, 20:40   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
On seeing the pictures of the crashed s-cross, it appears to be a deliberately beaten up car, using a bulldozer or something(I may be wrong). Because had it been an accident, there must be some signs of cutting of the panels, to remove the occupants. It would be really difficult for the passengers, to come out from such badly crushed car!!
Any expert opinions.
Wonder if the rival manufacturers have a role in sensationalizing such incidents in such a way that the actual reason or causes are lost. The Ecosport toppled, the Creta had an accident and now the s cross. Not sure if the actual causes are clear for all these.
Old 1st August 2015, 21:21   #402
BHPian

True S cross is no looker. But a lot of mods to make it look better can be done.
A tyre upgrade to 225 55 R 16 with some dark alloys can really do some good for butch looks. I somehow feel that the rear hatch spoiler is a touch too small. An optional spoiler would make the back look more attractive.
Still can't come into terms with the ordinary headlamps for lower models. Destroys the premium campaign altogether IMO. Smoking those lamps and blackening the chrome slats can do good I think.

Last edited by sandygordon : 1st August 2015 at 21:23. Reason: spell
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 21:22   #403
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Engine & Driving Experience

Excellent review and thanks for sharing, i was keenly awaiting this launch and was thoroughly disappointed when it was announced there would not be a 4x4 version. Recently i had an opportunity to do some long drives and mild offroad venturing, on a duster AWD and boy oh boy, the 4 wheel setup makes quite a difference to the way the car behaves (for the good). The independent suspension set up in duster is so much way ahead and better compared to the 2WD version.

In short it is not just about the 4x4 advantage, its about better ride and handling too. Which adds in a big way to the premium experience of the car. Instead of wasting money and burdening dealers with the so called Nexa thing, MUL should have got in the 4x4 version!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
While on it, I must mention that - during idling - you can hear the air-con compressor kick in & out very frequently. I'd noticed a similar trait in the Celerio diesel that we tested recently; enhancing fuel economy whilst maximizing cooling, is it?
Seems more like cost cutting moving away from variable compressor to the traditional clutch type compressor. Is it same in 1.3 engine also?
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 21:34   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Excellent review and thanks for sharing, i was keenly awaiting this launch and was thoroughly disappointed when it was announced there would not be a 4x4 version. Recently i had an opportunity to do some long drives and mild offroad venturing, on a duster AWD and boy oh boy, the 4 wheel setup makes quite a difference to the way the car behaves (for the good).
Is Duster 4WD useful for a person who is not going to do any dedicated off-roading trip, but use the vehicle on long drives with bad roads? I understand that it will help to escape tricky situations, as in a Leh trip.

Sorry for the noob question, I got this doubt as I see many people going for 4WD (Santa Fe and Duster) even though they do not do any off-roading as such.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd August 2015 at 12:24. Reason: Typos
Old 1st August 2015, 22:47   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

Off-topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Is Duster 4WD useful for a person who is not going to do any dedicated off-roading trip, but use the vehilcle on long drives with bad roads? I understand that it will help to escape tricky situations, as in a leh trip....
I guess you would be better off with the 2WD itself. The ride quality is really good & why pay for something which you don't need in the first place? Consider this only if the (better) ride quality is justified more than the added cost, weight, lower FE, complication & maintenance.

Note: I would probably select a Scorpio 4WD over 2WD for the better ride/handling, not a Duster as it's good in 2WD form itself
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks