Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 13:43   #601
BANNED

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

MSIL has got a still born baby in DDiS320, I think they did it on purpose. But DDiS200 pricing is ok. But to push this thing out of showrooms ain't gonna be easy. Hyundai should be sending a big bouquet to Maruti headquarters.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 13:43   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Ok, let's cool down for a bit..

- How many of us are disappointed with the DDiS200 pricing ?

And that is the variant that will bring the volumes to MUL. S-Cross will be a reasonable success - much like the Ciaz.

DDiS320 is dead-on-arrival, though.
It is vfm taking into account the features and build quality. But I doubt an average image centered buyer would buy an sx4 without a boot for a sedan money

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 5th August 2015 at 13:45.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 13:44   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

While we here on BHP might cuss and rant at MSIL, I think the S Cross will still see decent volumes for the DDiS 200 variants in the next few months. Reason:Its a Maruti - junta still believe in the brand and the flashy suits and ipads will make people shell out hard earned money just because the car has that "S" on it.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 13:44   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Maruti is charging exactly 3 lakhs for the 1.6L engine vs the 1.3L. This is a huge amount to be paying for a bigger engine. I was expecting a 1-1.5 lakh premium for the 1.6 over the 1.3 but definitely not a whooping 3 lakhs!.
Talk about it Vid6639

So basically, MS is going to charge a premium from the customer just to pay up for the Fiat's 1.6 DDIS engine.

Considering this scenario, if at all MS do come with a 1.6 DDIS CIAZ from its NEXA, it will be priced at 12 lks ex-showroom !!

P.S - I still have a feeling the "S" will "Cross" the "Creta" in sales, after all its a Maruti.
Old 5th August 2015, 13:44   #605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And that is the variant that will bring the volumes to MUL. S-Cross will be a reasonable success - much like the Ciaz.

Thats a good counter thought. Maruti can handle volumes for 1.3. So that way the backend logistics are in place. But may be thats not the case for 1.6? And is that one of the reason, why they priced it high? To escape volumes as their localization for 1.6 is quite low?
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 13:45   #606
BHPian

Looking at the ddis 320 the DDIS 200 is relatively priced well. Looks like they were not interested in selling the 1.6 at all the way they have priced it. MSIL just brought the option to shut everyone up who complained about the lack of a bigger diesel engine.

So basically all they are saying is you wanted a big engine right? here take it but you have to pay more a lot more.

Seriously, MSIL 3 Lakhs!? just for an engine?

At these prices the Creta looks like a value for money product now. What are these guys smoking at MSIL? Even after seeing the Creta pricing debacle did they not learn anything?

No one would go for the ddis 320 now as there are lots and lots of options available.

I believe even the Kizashi was worth it at its price when i see this, at least that car had features, was a proper sedan and it was a CBU to command a high price.

But the S cross has 67% localisation for the DDIS 320.

Least they could have done is given the DDIS 320 extra features such as different alloys/ bodykits/ a sunroof/ 6 airbags/ better tires/ A/T transmission option. Something that could justify the premium.

Horrible alloys + highly overpriced DDIS 320 + just adequately powered DDIS 200 + unproven brand premiumness = good bye S cross

Let's all keep 2 minutes silence for the S cross DDIS 320

R.I.P

Lol just had a thought imagining what would happen at this rate when the Ciaz ddis 320 is announced all of us can have a good laugh then. Honda would be rolling on the floor laughing literally. The ciaz would cost almost as much as or more than the Honda city at this rate.

Last edited by rockporiom : 5th August 2015 at 14:11.
rockporiom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 13:47   #607
BHPian

And finally, one more OEM thinks that by making a few snazzy ads (complete in B&W), adding a new showroom line-up and taking a prime-time slot for transmitting ads, they can command a premium!

Comparing prices w.r.t Creta, suddenly the Creta seems VFM (which it is not!). Suddenly the Scorpios, Safaris and XUVs make a lot more sense. Either that or there is actually a market for these cars at these prices.

PS: Sorry, I cannot accept an S Cross with a 1.3 engine. It was the DDiS320 that drew me to it, but now its a no go!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-capture.jpg  

Aragorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 13:47   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, let's cool down for a bit..

- How many of us are disappointed with the DDiS200 pricing ?

I am!!! I feel even the DDiS 200 is 30-50k above what it should be. At least the Zeta should have been 9.49 lakhs ex-Delhi IMO. Reason, it does not have the features that make the car a real premium crossover.
  • HID headlamps
  • Automatic Headlamps & Wipers
  • Leather interiors
Without these, it is on par with i20 Active. I agree, S-Cross gets Cruise control + some extra features + space. But the engine itself is slightly below par the torquey 1.4 CRDi of Hyundai.

I would have bought the Alpha at 10.25 L ex-Bangalore but definitely not the Zeta at that price. Since Zeta is 9.99 ex-Delhi, it will touch 10.2 ex-Bangalore which is not worth paying all the extra taxes. Maruti should have been a little more careful with the price in such a way that the Zeta prices is within 10 lakhs in all cities. That would have ensured a good volume for them. I am sure many including me would have thought of moving to Zeta if the price was less than 10 lakhs. My 2 paise!!

Last edited by Vigkey : 5th August 2015 at 13:49.
Vigkey is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 13:52   #609
BHPian

I still feel that it would have been better if they had introduced S-cross in petrol too. There could have been some takers who dont need a diesel but would have gone for the features, improved build quality, ride etc. Atleast for the lower price range that it could have been in, it would have brought some more volumes.

Missed opportunity I would say looking at the pricing of the current models. Hyundai should be celebrating. People would still put their money on the Creta I guess...
Old 5th August 2015, 13:57   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
S-Cross Prices launched.

Attachment 1399688

Or get finalized on Tata Zest. More questions?
I was kind of in the same boat. Tata Zest diesel XT is so much more value for money. Agreed it does not have all those features, but heck about 75% of them at least 4-5L less. The ride quality of Zest is pretty good and I am sure Zest provides more commanding view of road than S cross.

S cross, a fantastic vehicle, just that I cannot "cross" the pricing bridge
ambujlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:07   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

First Honda slightly disappointed with the Jazz pricing, then Hyundai took that disappointment a notch above with the Creta and now Maruti has taken the disappointment levels a few more notches above with the S Cross pricing- Especially with the 320.

Now need to see what Ford does with the Aspire.

The 200 seems ok priced. But again, with no pseudo SUV look, basic safety features,poor boot space- I don't see it adding any significant value over the C Segment Sedans.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:08   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats a good counter thought. Maruti can handle volumes for 1.3. So that way the backend logistics are in place. But may be thats not the case for 1.6? And is that one of the reason, why they priced it high? To escape volumes as their localization for 1.6 is quite low?
But on the other hand had they kept a differential of 1.5 lacs (by compromising on the profitability) between the 1.3 and 1.6 they would have got better volumes for the 1.6. This would have helped them optimise backend logistics for the 1.6, increase the level of localisation, bring the costs down and gain back the margins they would initially foregone.

I think inviting an "overpriced" stamp on the product is a far more dangerous proposition than compromising some profit initially.

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 5th August 2015 at 14:31.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:14   #613
BHPian

What else can we say - these things just add more VFM tag to XUV 5OO.

Is S-Cross going Kizashi way?
sbala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:14   #614
BHPian

Bye Bye 1.6

Now. What to do?
Should I buy a DDIS 200 @ 13L OTR?
or Go for the Creta 1.4 sx+ (14.6L OTR)
or Look at the Duster RXZ with 50 k discount (14L OTR)

Took the suzuki logo out of my avatar
Is this a God given opportunity to grow out of 'Maruti' ?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-slide1.jpg  

Last edited by sandygordon : 5th August 2015 at 14:18.
sandygordon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:15   #615
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
But on the other hand had they kept a differential of 1.5 lacs (by compromising on the profitability) between the 1.3 and 1.6 they would have got better volumes for the 1.6. This would have helped them optimise backend logistics for the 1.6, increase the level of localisation, bring the costs down and gain back the margins they would initially foregone.
Agreed. But the question can be how much of 1.6 engine and parts they will need to import for the same.

Quote:
I think inviting an "overpriced" stamp on the product is a far dangerous proposition than compromising some profit initially.
+1. Of course this is much bigger a problem than the previously discussed one. What a wasted opportunity. They could have easily swept through with much bigger sales.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks