Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 14:37   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Ok Guys just did a small comparison of prices for Ertiga and SCross DDIS 200. Both belong to same brand, have same engines and similar size. While S Cross is more premium with more features, Ertiga is more practical.

ERTIGA

LDi- 7.41 Lakhs
Vdi- 8.06 Lakhs
Zdi- 8.72 Lakhs

S Cross

1.3 Sigma - Rs.8.34 lakh

1.3 Delta - Rs. 9.15 lakh

1.3 Zeta - Rs. 9.99 lakh

1.3 Alpha - Rs. 10.75 lakh

Now comparing features of S Cross Delta and Ertiga Zdi, we can see that they are more or less similar give and take a couple of features on either side. While one can argue that S Cross drives better and interior quality is a notch above Ertiga (which is not too bad either), Ertiga does make up for that by being more practical.

I believe ideally these two variants should have been more closely priced. Hence even the DDIS 200 is over priced by 20-30 K.

For the common man on the street there is no reason to buy the DDIS 200 Delta over Ertiga Zdi. Enthusiasts anyway will be looking only at DDIS 320.

Last edited by vibbs : 5th August 2015 at 14:39.
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:37   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmane View Post
IMHO, it is overpriced for a blown up Alto.
!
What would you call creta then? Blown up Getz?

Scross is a great car, pricing will not change that. Yes, Nexa is likely to be a flop and we are not going to see many scrosses plying around soon.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:37   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
There is definitely something wrong with the DDiS 320 pricing, it can't be that high. A 3 Lac premium for a 300cc increase is just absurd. That equates to a cool 1K for 1 cc and I hope Maruti never ever launches the Fiat Multijet 1.9L Engine.
DDiS320 is a completely imported engine, definitely will encourage more duty and the pricing also would be on the higher side. Again 1.6 doesn't entitle for excise cut thereby again elevating the price.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:41   #634
BHPian

As i had said earlier in this thread, pricing was going to be the key to the S-Cross success.

The way the launch price stand the DDiS 320 which was the variant most were interested in is not looking value for money with respect to the Creta SX(O). Hyundai has already shipped 6783 units of the Creta to dealers in the month of July alone!

Greed has gotten hold of the Management boffins at Maruti Suzuki and this will hurt the car's success in the long run.

Last edited by sapeco : 5th August 2015 at 14:46.
sapeco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:47   #635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
DDiS320 is a completely imported engine, definitely will encourage more duty and the pricing also would be on the higher side. Again 1.6 doesn't entitle for excise cut thereby again elevating the price.
Even the Creta doesn't get the excise cut as it is a 1.6L engine. Hyundai is already charging a premium for the Creta 1.6. Maruti have gone ahead and priced it above that!

Both the 1.3L and 1.6L and 4 cylinder engines. Even if you consider the import duties and premium for the 1.6L engine it should have been at a max 1.5 lakhs above the 1.3L engine. This would equate to an on road price of roughly 2L more for the DDiS 320 vs the DDiS320. That itself was high but justified and one can actually consider it.

With the 3 lakhs ex showroom premium for the 1.6L, Maruti have made the Creta appear VFM. The DDiS320 was advertised heavily. Media drives only had the DDiS320 and all were praising it. After the huge hype, Maruti tied a noose around the DDiS320 then pulled the chair from below with the pricing announcement.

I was quietly thinking of letting my Ecosport go if the DDiS320 was priced decently considering the better performance, additional space and better ride quality. Thanks to Maruti for removing that thought completely from my head. Less confusion in life and more to enjoy with the Ecosport.
Vid6639 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:49   #636
Distinguished - BHPian

Struck off DDiS 320, will TD the DDiS200 and decide, if not can await for 2016 launches!
Now Vento DSG seems VFM to me.

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th August 2015 at 15:00.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:49   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
There is no difference in performance between ddis200 and crdi1.4. Infact ddis200 feels more fun than the 1.4 crdi
Let us not jump the gun here. I would rather wait for the team-bhp review. Remember that the S cross is 1250 Kgs, and is not at all light by any standards. Given the puny 1.3 for this segment, which in the Ciaz review itself was mentioned as "not a performer", I seriously doubt how the S Cross would drive at 145 Kgs more.
PearlJam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:52   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The pricing of the top end Alpha and Zeta is very close to the Ecosport albeit a 30-50K premium. The premium is justified as the S-cross is much larger with more space and the additional features. The Ecosport has the advantage of 6 airbags in the top end Titanium (O) else the S-cross is better equipped overall.

In that sense, Ford should be worried because the 1.3L is similar on performance to the 1.5L TDCi. The 1.6L DDiS was a league ahead.
The Ecosport facelift, due shortly, should reduce that feature gap. Ecosport facelift might also undergo a price increase which is a different matter. Space wise feel they are not miles apart. The bootspace is not very different (346ltr Vs 360ltr). Both will accommodate two in the back seat without issues but 3rd one will be un-comfortable. But the Ecosport height is what SCross does not have including the SUVish looks. So overall, Ecosport facelift can catchup fairly easily to the SCross but not the other way round.
ashua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:53   #639
Senior - BHPian

I had more or less made up my mind to buy the 1.6 Alpha. Until, that is, I saw the pricing. Forget being able to afford it or not, forget budget limits. The utter lack of VFM rules it out.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:54   #640
BHPian

The prices are once again getting a beating (deservedly). Creta was overpriced. Now that title has shifted to SCross. DDIS200 is still decently priced. 320 is another question altogether Maybe because it is imported.

Despite all that I believe this car will get decent customers (more for 200 than 320). Creta did over 6k cars in July and looking at the waiting periods of 4-8 months, it is bound to maintain those numbers in the near future. Same should apply to S Cross.
sngautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:58   #641
Senior - BHPian

When i look recent launches of Jazz, Creta & now S-cross, Ertiga looks more & more desired car for me. Specially if you look at the Zxi pricing, its a steal of a deal. Currently Zxi is around 8.5 Lacs OTR here in Pune considering discounts & on top you also get some accessories for free. Its a very good engine with good economy as well. Also it has basic safety features like airbags, ABS etc. Main thing in Ertiga is it has 3rd row of seat which is very useful for 2-3 kids for city use or smaller highway runs around 200 kms. Now i am looking forward to new Ertiga to launch in Diwali. I guess that's the best option one can get, i mean it.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:58   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

There is no difference in performance between ddis200 and crdi1.4. Infact ddis200 feels more fun than the 1.4 crdi.
Even though it could be true, with the same engine option in acceptable price range in S-Cross, I wonder if any users of Swift/Dzire waiting for S-cross launch hoping for an upgrade would still choose to go for it? Not sure...
Old 5th August 2015, 15:01   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Thanks to Maruti for removing that thought completely from my head. Less confusion in life and more to enjoy with the Ecosport.
Vid you Cudn't have said it any better!
sapeco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 15:02   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Launch events are the one when Auto Journalists get public opportunity to have Q&A session. I was surprised that only 4 questions were asked. Probably, all journalists were speechless after price announcements

More or less, Not a good set of questions & equally boring-professional answers to the same.
Very few people ask questions in such launches as they wait for their individual bytes. When the media people meet these speakers with their cameraman and that time ask them questions.

Also, who knows they might get some story information which will help them.

Its like when they are getting one on one interview, the media people try to get that and try to get as much info as they want and if any other news they get, it helps.

On other note, Maruti has just 35 Nexa showrooms to sell this car, they are conservative in selling S Cross, no wonder prices are also so high. Does BMW/Audi have more showrooms than Nexa for S Cross ?

Last edited by tanwaramit : 5th August 2015 at 15:03.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 15:06   #645
Senior - BHPian

1.3 S Cross is still priced okay, i had already stated earlier on this thread as to why Maruti will never price this car at par or below Ciaz as some members were speculating. What i just can not digest is the absurd pricing of the 1.6 S Cross, that is way over the top. Pricing 1.6 S Cross over Creta is suicidal, the Creta looks much more value at that price point.

I have met many who were not willing to pay 12-13 lakhs for a 1.3 MJD, this car being heavier than Ciaz, performance would suffer.
I was also planning to replace our Ecosport with either S Cross or Creta but seeing the price at which both are launched, i would happily keep my car for a few more years. I paid 10.6 on road for top end diesel ecosport, it is a good built car, fun to drive, successful proven vehicle, good 1.5 TDCi engine, has 6 airbags and sufficient space on offer.

Maruti and Hyundai both are too optimistic with their pricing, Hyundai might get away with it thanks to the stunning looking Creta, let us see where S Cross stands.
coolboy007 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed