Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 15:53   #661
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I think some members were expecting it to undercut the Ciaz and the top end Alpha to come under 10L ex-showroom which was wishful thinking. How could have Maruti's premium car undercut the non-premium one?
I got a chance to compare both Ciaz and S-Cross side by side, and I felt the Ciaz to be more premium compared to the crossover - be it looks, space or cabin feel. Sure the S-Cross has better quality plastics, but the beige and fake wood finish trims in the Ciaz does help compensate it a bit.

The main deal clincher for me was the 1.6 diesel. In fact, I made the sales rep note down my number with an added condition that I shouldn't receive a call if the 1.6 top end exceeds 15L Bangalore. And they have crossed that by a big margin now.

The 1.3 is not worth it IMO since a majority of their target customers would be looking to upgrade from a 1.3 Diesel engined car- be it from MS / TATA / FIAT. Upgrading to a bigger car with the same engine somehow doesn't excite me one bit.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th August 2015 at 15:54.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:00   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
9.99L for the Zeta 1.3 seems to be the one that they got right mainly for Bangalore customers to keep below 10L.
I beg to differ. The ex-SR prices are the highest in Karnataka. The Zeta DDiS200 will be well over 10 L in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
People who were looking at the DDiS200 will not be too disappointed. The Zeta and Alpha are well equipped, spacious and the 1.3L 90Ps engine is decent. 10.75L ex showroom equates to 13.5L on road bangalore which is in between the sedans and on par with top spec Ecosport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
And what is the logic behind DDiS 200 Zeta @ Rs. 9,99,000/- for delhi only?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I am!!! I feel even the DDiS 200 is 30-50k above what it should be. At least the Zeta should have been 9.49 lakhs ex-Delhi IMO. I would have bought the Alpha at 10.25 L ex-Bangalore but definitely not the Zeta at that price. Since Zeta is 9.99 ex-Delhi, it will touch 10.2 ex-Bangalore which is not worth paying all the extra taxes. Maruti should have been a little more careful with the price in such a way that the Zeta prices is within 10 lakhs in all cities. That would have ensured a good volume for them. I am sure many including me would have thought of moving to Zeta if the price was less than 10 lakhs. My 2 paise!!
I just can't believe the market research team and the decision makers at MS are as utterly ignorant as they proved to be. With a 25-30k less pricing for the DDiS200 Zeta, they'd have probably lured a lot more customers from other parts of the country!

For e.g., in Bangalore, the difference in tax between 9.99L and 10.25L is a whopping 80k! It's not a question of affordability, but the loss of perception of value that will drive customers away.
pannags is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:05   #663
BHPian

Re: Bye Bye 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
As others have said, I feel someone having a Swift/Dzire will think twice before getting an S-Cross DDiS 200, doesn't feel like an upgrade!
I absolutely second your thoughts. Owning Swift for the last 6 years was itching for an upgrade and was confused between a used Vento/Rapid over the Scross 1.6 Lit. The 1.3L Scross doesn't make any sense for people who have owned a Swift before, it is the same engine and I'm sure it will be underpowered for the Scross and who are looking to upgrade from a small hatch!

Now thinking I will stick to my plan of an used Vento/Rapid.
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:08   #664
BANNED

I can see many depressed potential customers now running towards the EcoSport and so-called VFM Creta! Majority of sales will be for the DDiS 200 so that I feel is priced decently and one cannot expect 12L Ex-showroom for the DDiS 320 since it is being imported completely.

I guess by some months from now, there should be some discounts on the DDiS 320 variants and also a price revision once R.S. Kalsi realises the blunder he has done on the pricing front.

I am not worried or depressed as I still have an year left before the amount is paid for the DDiS 320 Alpha.

Fingers crossed for S-Cross and NEXA. Hope they both survive the turmoil.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th August 2015 at 16:10.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:15   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
DDIS 200 is priced as per expectations.

I think some members were expecting it to undercut the Ciaz and the top end Alpha to come under 10L ex-showroom which was wishful thinking. How could have Maruti's premium car undercut the non-premium one?
Ask any average joe out to buy a 10 lac premium car, he ll chose Ciaz over Scross. Why? Coz Scross is still an inflated hatch and does not have the plush beige interiors with faux wood finish, is neither a SUV nor a 3 box sedan.

For the average joe, Ciaz is the most premium MS car today. MS fails to dislodge that perception.

Just the other day I showed the Scross pics to my uncle who owns a Swift and Dzire. He was looking for a upgrade. His first reaction - why will I again buy a grown up swift? He wud instead buy the Ciaz since its an established 'premium sedan' from maruti.
p'arth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:19   #666
Senior - BHPian

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
It is vfm taking into account the features and build quality. But I doubt an average image centered buyer would buy an sx4 without a boot for a sedan money

The Bangalore price for the top end DDIS 200 will be close to 13.5 Lakhs. That's a lot of money. I had quoted earlier in this thread that if Maruti can pull this car's sales off, India would be a super mature market.

Anyway, visited Nexa JP Nagar and had a look at the car.

Looks are subjective. The size actually looks different in different colours.

Not much to talk on this front as a lot has already been said. The wheels are just stupid!

Interiors are a big step up for Maruti. The ergonomics is just right. I especially like the placing of the power window buttons on all the doors.

The seat height adjust travel is just ok. Unlike the huge travel in the Creta.

Soft touch dash is nice and feel very upmarket. So does all the plastics. The damped globe is also huge and excellent.

Space is decent for this size of a car.

The AVN works fine with minimal setting options. I somewhat felt it looked very aftermarket in the whole scheme.

The build quality also was average. Nothing close to the Germans or the Fiats.

The interior roof quality is just pathetic. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it before. It's amongst the flimsiest I have seen. Just try pressing any of the cabin light switches and that's where you will find the entire roof crumble.

If I have to put my money down. Sorry. Not on this. Probably pay the extra Lakh and go with the SX Creta or 3 Lakhs cheaper with the I20 Asta or even better the Ecosport at 13.5 OTR loaded to its teeth.

The 320DDIS was interesting but it's going to cost close to 16.5 OTR Bangalore. Dead horse.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 5th August 2015 at 16:46.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:40   #667
BHPian

looks like wont be able to change the car soon the way these car makers are pricing. feel like premium brands are cheaper comparatively. lets wait for September to see Mahindra TUV3OO pricing
Old 5th August 2015, 16:41   #668
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Secondly the boot space is actually not all that bad in the S-cross. This is because the S-cross has a low window line. Boot space is only calculated for the area below the parcel shelf which is why the volume is lesser but when you see the photos it looks much more. If your remove the shelf you get much more boot space as boot space is only calculated up to the window line. In case of Ecosport the boot area is tall but not deep. I would guess it will be easier to fit large suitcases in S-cross vs the Ecosport.

And Ford will now have a lot more buffer in pricing with the S-cross and Creta pricing being what they are. Just hope they don't get too greedy and bump up the price too much with the facelift.
Yes Ford pushing up prices seems likely post and even before the facelift basis the numbers they do in the next few months.

The EcoSport has split folding rear seats while the Creta does not. This makes the EcoSport much more practical for carrying luggage with 3/4 on board with the Smaller or bigger rear bench folded. Very useful for Airport Trips which the only time on really carries full size bags.

The manner in which the EcoSport rear parcel shelf folds out is also more useful vs the way it is done in the Creta.

The S-Cross does have split folding Rear bench but in this case the parcel tray is the stiff one. Where does one put it if one is outstation or has shopped and got a lot of big sized parcel to place. The Parcel shelf can be left at home only if one is already at home when packing stuff in. The Ecosport Parcel shelf folds down to a small size.

When one looks at the S-Cross Thread / The Creta Thread and the EcoSport thread one almost sees a seamless conversation between the three models.

But yes this is the S-Cross Thread...

Last edited by ACM : 5th August 2015 at 17:02. Reason: Sorry ACM. I got confused. I meant S-cross and not Creta. Edited my post. :)
Old 5th August 2015, 16:43   #669
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

one cannot expect 12L Ex-showroom for the DDiS 320 since it is being imported completely.

I guess by some months from now, there should be some discounts on the DDiS 320 variants and also a price revision once R.S. Kalsi realises the blunder he has done on the pricing front.

I am not worried or depressed as I still have an year left before the amount is paid for the DDiS 320 Alpha.

Fingers crossed for S-Cross and NEXA. Hope they both survive the turmoil.
Have you ever seen Maruti reduce prices of it's car later on? Only the Kizashi was sold as throwaway as they had surplus cars more than a year old in a lot of dealerships.

Forget Maruti, only Honda has known to do it for the Jazz even after that the car bombed.

Don't expect prices to ever come down. If at all, same time next year the S-cross DDiS320 will be even more.

Secondly, 12L for the top end DDiS320 is a very reasonable price. It's 1.25 lakhs more than the DDis200 which is a decent premium to pay for an imported engine with better performance.

VW used to import the 1.6L TDI before and now the 1.5TDI is locally built. The prices never went down and even with the imported 1.6TDI, the price was not drastically higher than competition.

Ford even now imports the 1.0L Ecoboost engine. The 1.0L Ecoboost is priced lower than the diesel which is locally built.

There is absolutely no rationale behind pricing the 1.6L engine 3 lakhs above the 1.3L.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:44   #670
BHPian

I got my first car, my 1.6 Litre Petrol SX4 back in 2007 for around 7.95 Lacs on-road.It had quite a few of the same safety features - Dual Airbags, ABS. Now I understand that the S-Cross is a newer car with way more features, but to me (and most car buyers) it is almost the same car with the pricing doubled. I am pretty sure that even the most ardent Maruti ... err Suzuki fans.. are having a tough time trying to justify the pricing of the S-Cross.
nishsingh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:45   #671
BHPian

A difference of almost 3 lakhs between the 1.3 and 1.6 engines, variant for variant is ridiculous.

I remember the Old honda city 1.5 and Vtec, the difference was 1 Lakh, and you got larger tyres + alloys, leather, a spoiler, better Alpine music system, some chrome and the vtec engine. So around 30k premium for the better engine.

3 lakhs for a larger turbo and 300cc more is just not worth it, the 1.3 has a really tiny turbo, and won't be much fun to drive. The 1.6 was the car to have, but not at this premium.

I wonder with this pricing, how many cars will they sell, and will NEXA showrooms sustain themselves.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:49   #672
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I feel especially sad at the overpriced 1.6L because it is a terrific engine, and few people will ever own or experience it now. With the explosive 1.6, the S-Cross feels more like a European car than Japanese. Too bad.

Due to its hefty weight, the 1.3 will offer poor performance (for a million buck car).

The S-Cross' price and position show why Maruti has never succeeded in the premium segment. It's not the product that's ever been wrong, it's the marketing and strategy.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:52   #673
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
It will not go the Kizashi way but will taste moderate success with the DDiS200 variant.
I have this feeling that now is the time the sales guys at Ford, Hyundai and Renault will use the "it's just a larger hatch" tag to describe the S-Cross as compared to their "SUV" offerings (Ecosport, Creta, Duster/Terrano). Heck, even the Ciaz could start giving the impression of a larger Sedan as compared to this "hatch" and this could go against the S-Cross in a big way, time will tell.
For me, it does not seem like a big upgrade that will cost (> Rupees 13Lakh) more than double the amount of my Swift Dzire Petrol Vxi (cost < Rupees 6Lakh back in 2009).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:54   #674
Senior - BHPian

This car is doomed even before it is born. At this price and with those looks, only a blind man or a die-hard MUL fan will buy this car. A relative who went to check this car out came back mighty unimpressed. He says he would rather pick up an Ertiga over it at much less a price and with 7 seats. As for me, I wouldn't buy this car even at half its price but then it is me. I give FULL MARKS to looks and no matter how good a car is, if it ain't good looking then it ain't a car, for me.

Creta can breath easy. It look VFM now. And Ecosport seems like a basement bargain. If only Ecosport had a diesel AT. Or, Terrano had diesel AT ( not much fan of Duster, though).
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 17:00   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
This car is doomed even before it is born. At this price and with those looks, only a blind man or a die-hard MUL fan will buy this car. A relative who went to check this car out came back mighty unimpressed. He says he would rather pick up an Ertiga over it at much less a price and with 7 seats. As for me, I wouldn't buy this car even at half its price but then it is me. I give FULL MARKS to looks and no matter how good a car is, if it ain't good looking then it ain't a car, for me.

Creta can breath easy. It look VFM now. And Ecosport seems like a basement bargain. If only Ecosport had a diesel AT. Or, Terrano had diesel AT ( not much fan of Duster, though).
I think you are over reacting a lot. Just because it's not as aesthetic as others,the people who buy this are blind? .

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th August 2015 at 23:31. Reason: Lets not get personal, thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks