Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2015, 10:57   #751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to S2!!! for preparing this price & specs comparison (also added to the opening page).

Good thing that Nexa salesmen have iPads. They'll need it to kill time.

Attachment 1400208
If we look at the Power to weight ratio of SCross 1.3 and Avventura, both are same. Only if Maruti has done wonders in the gearing, Scross is going to struggle for sure with that 1.3 MJD.

Seems like SCross 1.6 will become a Halo product for most of us Indians. Does not make any sense to go for it instead of Creta.

This pricing fiasco of Creta and SCross will surely help Ranult and Ford. The market since last 4-5 years is pushing C segment cars to C+ and C+ to D. Creating new segment lower down the pricing as under 4m sedans.
Old 6th August 2015, 11:14   #752
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost 24 hours since price was announced, I still cannot digest it.

For people who don't mind losing out on new car feel, there are so many wonderful options in the used market. For an example, 2012 Kizashi at 7.5 lakhs,
2012 Laura 1.8 TSI at 9 lakhs, 2012 Cruze LTO at 9 lakhs, 2011 Jetta 2.0 at 7.5 lakhs!!!

These are C1 segment and B2 segment prices and you get a proper, safe, superbly built, great driving powerful cars that are way spacious and have greater image too.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 11:15   #753
BHPian

When we spend a million of our hard earned money, even a non enthusiast expects reasonable safety, atleast 100 bhp, reasonable space (atleast more than a B segment hatch) and comfortable ride.

Spending 13L on a car with a hatch-back engine seems heart-breaking. That is why I did not go for an 85ps duster 2 years back, when I had an opportunity. Dropped the ecosport as space and ride was not to my expectations. I predict a similar case with the 90 ps 1.3 alpha.

Last edited by sandygordon : 6th August 2015 at 11:17.
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 11:21   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
As per Kenichi Ayukawa, they had 6000 bookings of S Cross with 30000 inquiries.
Out of the 6000 bookings at least one third would have been for 1.6 L DDIS, where the maximum cancellation will be.
1510 units already shipped and if he is to be believed and they were expecting 4000 S Cross per month, so by this month end all bookings taken care off and then we will have Nexa showrooms as good relaxation points.
And the icing will be huge discounts in the festive season on 1.6 L. Wishful thinking ? Anything can happen in the market.
All those high flying SA s with their I pads would now be busy playing candy crush saga and temple run! Jokes apart, what a wasted opportunity to seize the segment.
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 12:00   #755
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review! Best I have come across in recent times! Thanks!!

Just like the Swift, this will be a paradise for field modifications/upgrades. Alloys and the tyres to start with..

Suddenly l see a lot of options in the market, for people upgrading from C class sedan. Excellent!
Old 6th August 2015, 12:01   #756
BHPian

Cancelled my booking I did for 1.6 "mighty engine". I was confused between vento diesel DSG and S Cross and Maruti helped me in taking the decision. Being living in NCR, automatic is only option to survive.
chaudharysaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 12:12   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudharysaab View Post
Cancelled my booking I did for 1.6 "mighty engine". I was confused between vento diesel DSG and S Cross and Maruti helped me in taking the decision. Being living in NCR, automatic is only option to survive.
I'm most likely to cancel my booking for the DDiS200 Alpha!

Heck! The OTR in Bangalore for the Zeta is higher than the OTR in Delhi for the Alpha

I'm also deliberating on taking the AT route, albeit with the Rapid - the looks department box does not have a tick mark yet - or the Ecosport MT.
Old 6th August 2015, 12:25   #758
BHPian

The S-cross DDiS 320 is out of my wishlist. For that price the Hyundai Creta is a better product. I would go for Creta 1.6 for that money.

I don't think DDiS 200 can be termed premium at all. There is nothing premium about that engine which does the job all the way from Indica Vista - Ritz - Swift - Enjoy to Ertiga.

The JAZZ 1.5 iDTEC is a much better product then the S-cross DDiS 200. The EcoSport 1.5 TDCi makes lot more sense and is a better product than the S-cross DDiS 200.

Last edited by searacer932 : 6th August 2015 at 12:36.
Old 6th August 2015, 12:26   #759
BHPian

just got a call from Nexa dealer for exchanging old SX4 with S-Cross Alpha . He mentioned will offer very good price for old vehicle. looks like already feeling the heat
Old 6th August 2015, 12:32   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanthosh View Post
just got a call from Nexa dealer for exchanging old SX4 with S-Cross Alpha . He mentioned will offer very good price for old vehicle. looks like already feeling the heat
Aha! So discounts are not too far off then.

Any thoughts on what this pricing will mean to the dealers who put in money for setting up dealerships in prime locations across cities?

I'd be fuming if I was a dealer who spent big bucks to promote a single vehicle that has priced itself out of consideration ..
Old 6th August 2015, 12:48   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I do not find Innova good looking at all but it is segment leader due to it's other qualities and it is more than 15-16 big ones. Etios Cross is another ugly car but I think you got used to it's look.

Maruti did not design Scross after they saw Creta in market so they could not modify it after Creta's launch. It may follow A star, Estilo or Ritz but that will because of it's pricing and not because of it's look
Who said Innova is a great looker? But advantage Innova has is a very large taxi market. Plus Innova has weak competition. S-Cross is not a taxi market car. And its competitors are not weak. Creta is formidable. Much better looking and lower priced. Then MUL's own Ertiga. Equally bland looking but cheaper and with more seats. Then there are new i20 and Jazz which again look much better and cost much less.

But all said, I want both Creta and S-Cross to fail otherwise atrocious pricing will become norm. If these two succeed, you will be looking down a price increase on Duster/Terrano/Ecosport/Scorpio/Storme/XUV and what not. It will trigger a chain reaction and that is my fear.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 12:56   #762
BHPian

July'15 sales figure for S-Cross is 1510. Form the pricing reactions wondering what the August'15 figure will be?

-1510 maybe
Old 6th August 2015, 13:17   #763
BHPian

My silent aspiration of upgrading my Dzire for the 1.6 is completely tossed out of the window! Am not even going to waste time to check out the car but would go next month to check out the upgraded Ertiga with the same 1.3L engine - lol.

Ridiculous is an understatement for the pricing. c'mon Maruti - surely after the debacle of Kizashi and Vitara you should have learnt. In fact no, you went ahead and spent more money in removing Maruti - the very name which helps you stand in the country. Complete marketing strategy blunder as GTO said.

What will happen now is that other Maruti cars will become more expensive in order to subsidize the losses of opening these fancy showrooms and hiring SAs for lakhs of rupees. Am sure a large number of CVs are back in the market and old employers are being frantically contacted!

VERY DISAPPOINTED...
Old 6th August 2015, 13:19   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi;3771871
Maruti, if a class 9th student can understand that [U
Volumes won't come unless priced right, and unless volumes don't come you won't price it right(that's your condition)[/u]!!! What sort of childish business strategy this is??? You got to loose on some aspect. Better don't consider launching a product just for the sake of it, unless you are truly determined to sell it!!
May be I am over-reacting here. @Leoshashi please don't take my comments below personally since I am referring to the whole discussion in this thread. Please note I don't
own any of the Maruti products and I am not related to their sales department in any manner either.

Is team-bhp becoming a team-bashing forum when a new car arrives in the market? Come on. Why teach someone who is a volume master the lessons of how to do
Volume business.

If anything Maruti wants to learn is to do "premium" business that they are trying to learn. But wait. We won't allow them to learn because, we want what we always
wanted from Maruti and that is mass market cars. I agree pricing of 1.6L is not right for obvious reasons (>1.5L and a whole import) but that stops there. 1.3L pricing doesn't seem bad. OR am I seeing this wrongly?

As with all crossovers there is an identity crisis just like the owners who wants them. Essentially their owners want both Sedan and a SUV at the same time. So the product
is born out of that necessity only and nothing wrong there.

For example:-

- I don't want Creta I want a car that has high ground clearance why would I buy a Creta? Just because it looks big?
- I want a car that handles well, reliable and acceptable quality materials and don't want to deal with stupid after sales and service, so why will I buy a Polo OR Fiat?

Now the answer to millions of people's basic questions is usually Maruti and give Maruti a VW/Fiat product and they might even better it in reliability and making it accesible to public and they have already shown that. I am not sure if people have visited the car and taken a look at how good the interiors and overall quality is. So, I highly recommend everyone should do that.

Also, when it comes to Maruti/Suzuki,

- Ride and handling is something that can be relied on
- FE figures to be relied on
- ASS to be relied on
- Resale value to be relied on
- Peace of mind package to be relied on

Now if a product is expensive market will decide its fate. But deciding if a product is worth the price can't be done at the time of launch. Quality usually is skin deep.
And takes a proper evaluation by the prospective buyer to see if he is wiling to pay a premium for a feature/product that he/she wants.

Moderator's note: Please refrain from typing like... this... Please format your post for removing unwanted spacing when posting from a smartphone/tablet. Thanks!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th August 2015 at 13:54. Reason: Please refer the note posted above.
WRXXX is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 13:20   #765
BHPian

The pricing of S-Cross and the strategy to sell it exclusively through their Nexa Outlet makes me wonder what number of cars they are interested in selling (For both DDis220 and DDis320). If they want to sell in volumes, they could have tapped their already existing strong network of Maruti Suzuki Showrooms all over India. More than any other manufacturer, Maruti knows how to sell a car in volumes. Even a car that is considered as a dud in Maruti terms sells in thousands. Consider this: Ritz is selling more than the cumulative figures of many manufacturers.
By going premium, they want to go away from the mass market game, and sell cars that cater only to a few, just like Volkswagen Group having different brands for different target audience.
But a premium customer who puts in the money that 'Nexa' wants for a car, may not really be a pure enthusiast who wants to just secretly enjoy the power of DDis320 hiding under a plain looking vehicle. Such a customer might actually want to boast the looks that is distinctively different from the rest of the lot, and is easily identifiable as a premium car. Now what Suzuki has given is a car that looks like an extended Swift or a face-lifted Ertiga with the last bench removed. Now, by the combination of its unassuming looks, the premium pricing, and the exclusivity that is available only in select cities, Maruti Suzuki actually might manage to sell a few S-Crosses, matching the numbers of.. May be Datsun Go+?
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed