Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2015, 14:51   #781
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashok View Post
Note that Maruti has only imported 3000 1.6 engines.
The 1.6 MJD Imports now cross 3000+( ~3400). This could be the last consignment of the 1.6's for a long time to come.

Name:  1.6.PNG
Views: 4025
Size:  18.9 KB

source:Zauba
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 15:07   #782
BHPian

Maruti setting up a nexa and calling the s cross a premium cross over was exciting, especially with the 1.6 engine. The 3L premium over the 1.3 has just killed everything though. I have an sx4 with the same 1.3 diesel and knowing how underpowered it is on the highway it just doesnt make sense to look at the 1.3 s cross. Its just ridiculou pricing.
Old 6th August 2015, 15:15   #783
BHPian

With a pricing fiasco there is one possibility which is worth considering based on whether the 1.3L come with Fixed Geometry Turbo (FGT) or Variable Geometry Turbo(VGT) as with 1.6 as mentioned in the review. If it is VGT then better.

If we can get the base 1.3L which is 90PS and then re-map it with Tune-O-Tronics (T-O-T), then we have a formidable package at 112PS ( assuming power up by 20 %). T-O-T already have a remap package for the Punto 90HP engine which have good reviews.

With the enhanced handling and better build quality of the S-Cross it would be a good fun to drive car at 10lac -11lac (on-road). I'm assuming better handling dynamics of the car as reported in 1.6 review.

People disappointed with S-Cross pricing as well as less powerful 1.3 might consider this option.

Could be best of both worlds in the current scenario.

Cheers
MKP
Old 6th August 2015, 15:16   #784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post

This will be followed by the YBA hatch, which will be priced at 1L less. Then the Vitara Breeza 1.3 MJD). WoW.. It would be raining 1.3s.

Media should ask for a seperate event for the DDIS 200.(Atleast Team BHP should have a seperate review)
YBA is the code name of the speculated Vitara Brezza( name not confirmed yet.). This will get only the 1.3MJD engine.

Guess you are referring to the NEW Vitara( 1.6 MJD) , the schedule is not yet known for India launch.
Now it gives suspicion the New Vitara with 1.6 MJD is in development phase?

Agree we need a full review for S Cross DDiS200!

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th August 2015 at 15:33.
Old 6th August 2015, 15:29   #785
BHPian

It is clearly not a volume game. They have enough products in the market which are volume leaders. It is more of a margin game. Sell less but at higher margins. People who understand the value of this 1.6L engine will still go for it. But yes, this is just the beginning of upward price movement in every segment. Launch prices of creta and SCross will be the triggers. If there is even a slight success in sales, others will be tempted to raise prices. The auto industry has seen enough quarters in slump over the past many quarters. They will want to compensate their losses by forming a kind of cartel and dictating the price increase.
Old 6th August 2015, 15:33   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
The Sigma S Cross has a passenger airbag as well. The launch specifications have changed from the initial specifications that was going around. Kindly check the brochure.
The brochure seems to be a little inaccurate. In the safety section, the S Cross has rear disks in all variants but the specifications section mentions otherwise. Also,every review and website says that the base model doesn't have a passenger airbag.
Old 6th August 2015, 15:35   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
How is the S-cross mass market? It starts at almost 10L on road for the lowest trim with 1.3L?

Secondly I don't think anyone was expecting mind blowing pricing for the DDiS320. People expected it to be priced even above duster.

As I mentioned earlier, an ex-showroom price of 12 lakhs for the alpha DDiS320 would have been quite acceptable. It would have been higher than all C2 segment sedans and slightly more than the Duster 110 2WD.
Agreed! When I said we continue to expect "Mass market pricing for premium features" in that equation somebody has to be making a loss.

Now I wasn't suggesting in my post that S-cross is mass market, I was instead saying we don't seem to appreciate a non mass market vehicle from Maruti!!

OR rather let me put it this way. Imagine an Audi All road kind of package coming from Maruti at 15L, I would say we are not ready for that from Maruti but we don't mind going gaga over when Audi releases it. All I am trying to say is quality effort needs careful evaluation and appreciation and was just trying to alert people going on bashing spree without seeing the car in person because sometimes it is evident in the type of comments. May be my assumptions are at fault here.

All said and done without team bhp in the first place we couldn't have had this many people scrutinizing, reviewing appreciating and educating public about these machines.
So I was not commenting about careful evaluation and education about the new cars I was more attending to people who join bashers for bashing sake. Thats a typical
"mob" mentality and any good soul will intervene that.

Let me now shut up and let the forum continue to discuss. Once again there is nothing personal here. If it should become one please do gift me an S-cross

Moderator's note: Please avoid typing.... like.... this.... It hampers readability and isn't as per the forum's posting etiquette. Please read the forum rules before posting any further!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th August 2015 at 17:42. Reason: Please refer the note posted above.
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 15:41   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
But yes, this is just the beginning of upward price movement in every segment. Launch prices of creta and SCross will be the triggers. If there is even a slight success in sales, others will be tempted to raise prices.
I agree. I hope we dont see Tata and Mahindra follow the same suite.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th August 2015 at 17:43. Reason: Quoted post edited.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 15:46   #789
BHPian

I should be ready to pay 14.62 to 16.5 lakhs or more, OTR in Bangalore for their S Cross with the 1.6 L engine ( Delta to Alpha)

Yes Maruti has THE best sales and service network, the lowest ownership costs among all other brands in India, higher resale value , niggle free ownership etc

But honestly what is Maruti thinking? at 16.5 Lakhs i can buy at XUV 500 or a Creta SX(o) or a Duster AWD / Terrano , Safari , the mighty Innova, put a Lakh or so more i even get an Elantra base model. [And of course if i am a Maruti loyalist i can get 2 swift cars / a ciaz and a swift / an ertiga and a celerio the list goes on]

Now the names i have listed from the competition are not just cars you "brush" away - its a tough fight out there mate, Creta might be the real favourite but each commands their own fan base and now enter S cross to change the game?

Yes Maruti has got the "Midas" touch - whatever product they launch goes on to become a hit in the Indian market, will be glad if the S Cross also does but will i pay that much money for the S Cross - NO. In fact even the "Ciaz" is not something i will put a million rupees on simply because the competition north of a million rupees is in a different league altogether and ciaz is a good product but there are many better.

In warfare there is a concept "Hitting the enemy where the enemy thinks they are strongest" , is S cross an attempt at that by Maruti? i dont know, i dont think so , but i will wait, Nexa showrooms cant be stocked only with the Ciaz and S cross, more models should be in the offing and well yes the concept might just work. Business is war !
Old 6th August 2015, 15:47   #790
Distinguished - BHPian

For those getting the S Cross, here is the entire accessory list.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-capture.png
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-capture1.png
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-capture2.png
Name:  Capture4.PNG
Views: 3641
Size:  321.2 KB

Accessories_Brochure.pdf

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th August 2015 at 15:54.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 15:48   #791
Senior - BHPian

Okay so the 1.6 liter motor is out of the contention for most folks and quite understandably so. It is simply way too overpriced. Period.

Now the 1.3 is priced within reason and may not actually be such a bad thing. We all know that Suzuki would have tuned it to perfection and mated it with well chosen gear ratios to offer what I as an enthusiast would call an adequate drive. Remap the thing and this will be very quick. Definitely not as mind blowing as the 1.6 in terms of what 320nm of torque feels like, but still quicker than one might imagine and certainly an upgrade for people using FGT equipped Swifts. People are claiming that remapped vgt equipped Puntos are performing nearly as quick as T-Jet Lineas, and that is with that awful gearbox that fiat provides so you can only imagine how impressive a remapped 1.3 S-Cross would be. Infact now that the initial charm of the 1.6 has melted away, if I were in the market for a practical car, I myself would go for the top-end 1.3 liter S-Cross with absolutely no regrets. I would have saved a lot of cash which I can now use to remap the car, pimp out the sound system and get a nice set of alloys and tyres.

I also just remembered that I now have a car that is 70 kilos less nose-heavy. This means less under-steer, and a car that is much easier to chuck into corners. Overall the best dynamic package of any S-Cross out there. So in the end, I get all the premium bits like HID bi-xenon projectors, cruise control, electrochromatic IRVM, parking sensors, soft touch dash, leather seats, all-wheel disc brakes and an even better dynamic package, in a car that's cheaper to maintain due to the fact that the 1.3 is fully localized, and still have butt-loads of money left, helping to keep a healthy bank account balance. Honestly the only thing I would miss is a 6th gear but savings and benefits in the form of a better dynamic package, more than make up for that.

I just love my mind sometimes

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th August 2015 at 16:02.
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 15:50   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I'm sorry about the word blind but what I meant was someone who is blind to aesthetics. I mean when you pay 15-16 big ones, is it too much to expect a good looking car? How hard is it for these guys to make a good looking car? If Hyundai can do it with Creta, can't MUL do it with S-Cross? Heck, Etios cross looks so much better. Those bland looks AND that price? And at a time when you have Creta on hand? MUL has lost its mind. Already Ciaz is hitting new lows month after month. Do you think S-Cross will get anywhere? It will follow A-Star, Estilo and Ritz. In fact MUL's own Ertiga makes more sense, less price and more seats. And what is that S-Cross can do which Elite i20 and Jazz cannot do. The latter cost much less and look infinitely better. Swift itself costing half the sum looks infinitely better, with 10 year-old design.

And where did Cielo spring into it all? I don't quite understand this.
In spite of being on TBHP, we can still be less informed.

Sir, do you know S-Cross is not a new car model Maruti Suzuki has developed now for this launch? It is a crossover iteration of the SX4 car and has been available internationally for 2 years now. Just because India is in love with SUV wannabes, MS can't make the S-Cross into a fake SUV. Many members here have actually appreciated Maruti Suzuki to call the S-Cross a (premium) Crossover. Not an SUV. No pretence.

Aesthetics is also subjective; you're appreciating the super-darn-good-looks of The Perfect SUV but go through this thread again and you will see, many members have preferred the practical styling of the S-Cross compared to the Creta.

Like SourabhZen has said, MS only went bad with the pricing. If the 1.6 DDiS was 12L ex-showroom or in the ballpark, this thread would have gone crazy in reverse trend, with people confirming their bookings or lining up to put one down.

And Etios Cross looks better than S-Cross. Full marks.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th August 2015 at 18:27. Reason: Post edited on request.
k_ajay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 15:51   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Also, when it comes to Maruti/Suzuki,

- Resale value to be relied on
...[/b]
Try selling a used Estilo or A-Star. This is myth. Those days when you could buy a car, use it and then sell it at almost same price as bought are gone.
Old 6th August 2015, 15:54   #794
BHPian

I believe we would be seeing hefty discounts on the ddis 320 very soon. In fact sooner than we are thinking. Even the ddis 200 doesn't look like VFM now since a person wanting to spend 11- 12 lakhs OTR for a car would look for sedan now. Here are a few cars you can get at that price OTR ahmedabad:

Only including cars above 10 lakhs OTR but below 12 Lakhs OTR

1. Honda city :
Petrol: all vanriants except vx cvt
Diesel: SMT/ SV MT/ V MT

2. Maruti CIAZ:
All variants in all engine configs

3. Ford ecosport:

4. VW Vento
Petrol: all variants
Diesel: all variants except highline TDI DSG

5. Hyundai Verna:
Diesel: all variants except for SX and SX AT

6. Hyundai creta
Diesel: only 1.4L and 1.4 S

7. Honda mobilio
Diesel: all variants except RS option

8. Mahindra Scorpio
All variants upto S4 plus 4WD

9. Renault duster
Diesel: all 85ps variants and 110ps only in RxL

10. Nissan Terrano
Petrol: the one and only variant available
Diesel: 85 ps xe and xl

11. Toyota Innova
Only EV variant available in BS4

12. Renault lodgy
All 85 ps variants and the 110ps RxL

13. Skoda Rapid
Diesel: all variants upto 1.5 TDI AT elegance

14. Ford fiesta

15. Tata safari storme
EX and LX variant

16. Tata Aria
Only the Pure LX 4x2 variant available

17. Fiat Linea

These are all the cars you can get between 10 -12 Lakhs OTR ahmedabad. Barring a few cars which are not so successful most of the cars sell well.

All prices exclude any kind of discounts or freebies that means that a few variants exceeding 12 lakhs by a small margin can also be bought if discount is good.

Last edited by rockporiom : 6th August 2015 at 16:02.
rockporiom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 16:17   #795
Senior - BHPian

I'm not advocating the high launch price of the S-Cross 1.6 litre but I'd like to remind all, that this car rivals the Skoda Yeti and the Nissan Qashqai in international markets, where it is priced substantially lower and proves to be a worthy alternative to these. Here in India, unfortunately, this car has to compete with the likes of the Duster and EcoSport which are almost a segment or two below the S-Cross. Clearly the 1.6L was dead (in India) the minute its prices were announced, owing to the very capable competitors in its price range.

I was silently wishing for Maruti to launch the 1.6L between Rs. 10.49 and Rs. 12.99 lakhs. That is what I'd be willing to pay for the car had I been in the market for it. After yesterday's shocker of a pricing, I've already told a couple of my friends to look for other models (who initially I had convinced to wait for the S-Cross).

Last edited by S2!!! : 6th August 2015 at 16:18.
S2!!! is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks