Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 17:36   #916
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
Team, Where is nexa showroom in chennai?
Hi, It's located at Ambattur and owned by Khivraj Motors. Please check today's TOI newspaper for the contact details.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 18:03   #917
BHPian

So guys here is my take on the DDIS 320 and the DDIS 200 driving them back to back.

Drove the DDIS 320 first, in one word the car is a bomb but with its own share of problems. For one the clutch it is too damn heavy and vibrates like hell. Heck i couldn't keep my leg on the clutch for more than a few seconds it was that bad. I managed to stall it on three different occasion but where the ddis 320 shows its true colour is on the highway it's the new torque king in this segment. Be prepared to see crashed 1.6 S crosses as this car requires some skill to handle, one needs to understand the power delivery and the way this thing works as the jolt of torque is sudden when the turbo starts which can cause problems. Thankfully the brakes are superb inspiring confidence. The gearbox is great and the much needed sixth gear is present.

However, the engine is noisy and doesn't feel free reving in comparison to its smaller avatar the DDIS 200.

Now here is the gem the true master in the ddis 200. Superbly mated gearbox and engine with an ultra light clutch. The perfect combination for a city car the engine is superbly free revving. I pushed it all the way to 5000 rpm and it didn't hesitate one bit. Don't worry guys didn't exceed the speed limits as i simply couldn't, yes the biggest sore point of the DDIS 200 is the lack of top end power. The thing is you would make a lot of noise and feel you are making cracking progress but in reality you would be just barely managing triple digit speeds BARELY. The car is more tuned to efficiency and keeping in mind city driving conditions.

Let me put it this way the ddis 320 would be someone you won't mind having an affair with but when it comes to commitment and marriage you would choosse the DDIS 200.

Apart from the engines the car is superbly insulated blocking all outside sounds. The car is not in any terms small and has good proportions, rear leg space is more than enough. However, the boot space is a bit tight due to the full size spare.

The car was so good that i was somehow hypnotized to book the zeta ddis 200. Somehow gained my senses and fleed from the showroom else i would have been skinned alive by my dad for trading in his beloved city

That reminds me they even promised to give me superb value for my car.

Now comes the pricing disaster, i would have to make some ammends to some of previous statements

First someone going for the S cross would not look at the ciaz. There is a huge difference in the quality, fit and finsh and not to forget even the features.

Second i got the proper price list(attached) and the S cross in the ddis 200 avatar is actually superb VFM. If you eliminate the AMC tax (which i am not charged due to my location) and the EW warranty(optional) the car is cheaper than the ciaz in reality.

Third, Maruti has done a great job with training the RM's they have flown them to many places giving them the best training possible. They have the best phones/ tablets and dressed properly in suits and ties making you feel you are being treated in a special way.

Fourth, the car is a looker people stopped on the road to have a look at the car and one of them followed me all the way to showroom during my test drive.

Finally coming to availability. Yes, the car is not available everywhere and that in fact is a GOOD thing. Yes you read that right with the current scenarios its good they opened limited number of showrooms as there is such a huge unexpected demand. In one day (today) these guys have booked nearly 100 cars. YES 100 CARS. People from different parts of gujarat have come all the way to book the car. The 320 is immediately available whereas 6 weeks waiting for the 200.

Now the biggest problem of them all. Mirror Mirror on the wall which is the worst priced of them all? Its the ddis 320. The car is a disaster and they accepted it, almost all booking for the 320 have been transferred to the 200 which has brought them to a problem. What to do with the card that had been alloted previously? There is a meeting today to decide what to do with the 320. Most likely, the car will start seeing discounts very very soon like within this month. Enthusiasts keep your eyes and ears wide open as discounts for the 320 are coming your way.

The car also introduces a nexa card which is similar to the maruti autocard and gives points for referrals, services and official accessories installed in the car from NEXA. Also the NEXA service centers would start with the launch of YRA which is in the next 6 months.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-camscannernew-document-1320w00f30r30k50u10240s10001.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 8th August 2015 at 11:32. Reason: As requested
rockporiom is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 18:47   #918
BHPian

Very surprised to know that the clutch is heavy. I clearly remember the official review saying that in fact it is on the lighter side

Going to the showroom tomorrow. The nexa guy at kataria has promised a test drive of both ddis 200 & 320. Will see how it behaves.
Old 7th August 2015, 18:54   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post
Very surprised to know that the clutch is heavy. I clearly remember the official review saying that in fact it is on the lighter side

Going to the showroom tomorrow. The nexa guy at kataria has promised a test drive of both ddis 200 & 320. Will see how it behaves.
The clutch in the ddis 320 sure is heavy and vibrates a lot irritating at times. The clutch bite point is too far ahead confusing you. Also the clutch is not smooth as the car would get thrown front and back when you change gears. That is its not syncing with the engine properly slowing the car down to get in gear. This problem wasn't there is the 200 all the main components that is the clutch, gearbox and engine felt perfectly mated.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 18:59   #920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
The clutch in the ddis 320 sure is heavy and vibrates a lot irritating at times. The clutch bite point is too far ahead confusing you. Also the clutch is not smooth as the car would get thrown front and back when you change gears. That is its not syncing with the engine properly slowing the car down to get in gear. This problem wasn't there is the 200 all the main components that is the clutch, gearbox and engine felt perfectly mated.
How would you rate the 200s performance with that of Ciaz's? Do they feel alike or is Scross slower?
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 19:03   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
How would you rate the 200s performance with that of Ciaz's? Do they feel alike or is Scross slower?
I feel the ciaz is faster in comparison to the S cross but the S cross has better low end and mid range torque. The turbo lag is less evident in the S cross but the lack of top end power is more evident.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 19:11   #922
BANNED

Quote:
With around 5K driving experience of my Ertiga ZDi (29K now on Odometer) and 1K kms experience with the Ciaz ZDI+, I feel the Ciaz is much better a performer as compared to Ertiga.

I'll say this because of the shape. Aerodynamics plays lot of role in performance.

Not sure how the S Cross would behave with this engine. It would be like a Corolla Altis 1.4 D4D. For the ones tighter on budget scale should go for the DDiS 200 else one can go for the DDiS 320.

Quote:
I feel the ciaz is faster in comparison to the S cross...
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 19:15   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree every bit, but during my drive, I didn't feel any issues with clutch on the DDIS 320. Surely it felt a bit heavier than DDIS 200, but not as bad as you have reported. No vibrations or anything on the car I drove.

I loved the way you summarized- DDIS 320 as the temporary lust and DDIS 200 as the soulmate.
I would like to reiterate that one can easily live with the DDIS 200 unless you have an urge to have a race with all the torque monsters on road.

Regards
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 19:17   #924
BHPian

Quote:
I feel the ciaz is faster in comparison to the S cross but the S cross has better low end and mid range torque. The turbo lag is less evident in the S cross but the lack of top end power is more evident.
What does it mean? Are you saying 100-120 is not doable as engine strains? On NH 1 and NH 8 (beyond Gurgaon) I get to these speeds easily at the slightest hint of urgency/low traffic situations in 1.1 L Getz. 80-90 is par speed.
Old 7th August 2015, 19:20   #925
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks! From my experience of 90k on first gen swift diesel and 900km of Ciaz Zdi, it definitely feels an upgrade in performance. From the point where swift diesel would lose breath, Ciaz cleanly pulls to another 15-20kmph more.

Scross will fare better than ertiga and lower than Ciaz aerodynamically. But for sure, Scross 200 will feel better than the Swift 200 FGT, which always felt livelier than the i20's 1.4 crdi, that is being plonked in 1.4 Creta. So I would say Scross 200 will be a better performer than the Creta 1.4.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 7th August 2015 at 19:26.
Old 7th August 2015, 19:24   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
What does it mean? Are you saying 100-120 is not doable as engine strains? On NH 1 and NH 8 (beyond Gurgaon) I get to these speeds easily at the slightest hint of urgency/low traffic situations in 1.1 L Getz. 80-90 is par speed.
The car revs freely but doesnt get any speed while revving. Once it touches 100-110 the progress after that is really slow whereas in the 1.6 it is fast. The 1.3 is more drivable in the city whereas the 1.6 would enjoy the highway.

It is like the strong points of the 1.6 are the weak points of the 1.3 and vice versa.

If you like to cruise sedately on the highway go for the ddis 200 hands down.

Last edited by rockporiom : 7th August 2015 at 19:26.
Old 7th August 2015, 19:28   #927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even Ertiga cruises comfortably at 110-120kmph all day. DDIS200 is an adequate motor, not a scorcher like the GT twins or the Tjet.
Old 7th August 2015, 20:07   #928
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post

Till I saw the screenshots a little while ago, I never believed the Zeta variant will be priced 9.99 L ex-Bangalore. But wouldn't that be considered illegal? How can a vehicle coming out of the same factory have the same ex-showroom price in different states with different tax rates? Effectively, that would mean either the ex-factory prices are given inaccurately or Maruti is absorbing some amount of the ex-showroom price.
Mitsubishi has a policy of 1 India one price at least it did for the Pajero SFX and Lancer and cedia. Have not checked recently but I should be perfectly legal to have different pricing in different locations.

I would say that the conversation that supposedly took place between Maruti and Hyundai may actually have occurred. Such things occur in many industries. But we of course will never know.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th August 2015 at 21:49. Reason: quoted post edited, thanks
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 20:40   #929
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly OT, we all seem to go gaga over the 1.6 that produces 120bhp and 320Nm torque. But didn't Chevy Optra magnum come with a similar power rating? That beautiful 2.0 liter Tcdi!

Too bad it never saw many takers.
Old 7th August 2015, 20:47   #930
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! From my experience of 90k on first gen swift diesel and 900km of Ciaz Zdi, it definitely feels an upgrade in performance. From the point where swift diesel would lose breath, Ciaz cleanly pulls to another 15-20kmph more.
Quote:
The car revs freely but doesnt get any speed while revving. Once it touches 100-110 the progress after that is really slow whereas in the 1.6 it is fast. The 1.3 is more drivable in the city whereas the 1.6 would enjoy the highway.
Hey guys,

I have made a small comparison between Ertiga, Ciaz and the S-Cross. Looking at the table it should give out the average performance the cars must give out on the road.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-untitled.jpg
PS: Sorry, the pictures isn't clear as it is blown-up a bit.

Look at the Power to weight ratio and Torque to weight ratio.

The Ciaz gets off better performance because of the lower kerb weight rating compared to the other two.

I have driven the Ertiga and it is best if you are looking at average performance and all-day long cruising between 90 - 110 kmph. If it is acceleration that you are looking at then the DDiS 200 is better off in the Ciaz and Swift/Ritz.

I can summarize it as below:

FE and Average Performance: DDiS 200
Acceleration, Aggressive Performance : DDiS 320

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th August 2015 at 20:52. Reason: Formatting
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed