Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 21:12   #931
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Looks like deliveries have started in bangalore. Saw one brand new blue S Cross today clad with ribbons and flowers.

The NEXA showrooms seemed crowded as well. Looks like the national engine can pull off yet another success story for Maruti Suzuki.

And here we were all guessing it's only the 1.6L diesel that will save the day for MSIL.
Old 7th August 2015, 21:18   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hey guys,

I have made a small comparison between Ertiga, Ciaz and the S-Cross. Looking at the table it should give out the average performance the cars must give out on the road.

Attachment 1401000
Swift/Ritz has FGT and 70bhp. The are as heavy as Ciaz, when comparing Weight to Power/Torque, they could be further lower isnt it? One of my friend owns a Verna and always amazed on Swifts overtaking him easily (he drives pretty fast). If they can keep up, S-Cross could also?

EDIT:
BTW Weight of 1.3 Scross is 1180-1205 per the brochure. 1275 is weight of 1.6. All in all, it will be lighter than Ertiga for sure but heavier than Ciaz. So does the performance?

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th August 2015 at 21:46. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 21:18   #933
BHPian

After much of thought and annoyance with Maruti/Nexa and my (So Called) RM, I decided to cancel my booking. I do not like the way I have been taken for a ride by this company and I am not sure if I would prefer Maruti ever again.

I called my RM last evening to go through the pricing and to decide on the future course of action, but our boy declined the call with a message ‘In a meeting Sir, would call you as soon as done’. Waited all evening by no message or call was ever made. I woke up severely annoyed so dropped a message to my RM – ‘You must be incredibly tired, if your meeting is still on’; As expected got a message with a min ‘I am extremely sorry sir, but meeting went on late and I could not call’.

Now, I am a reasonable man and understand that he might be busy but I have been getting sorry for everything since I started interacting with him. Picture this, I gave the cheque on 5th Jul and I am yet to get the receipt, while it was promised on the very next day! After multiple follow ups and a promise to get it within 2 days everytime, I just gave up any hope of seeing a receipt.
As expected again, I got a call from our RM at 10:45 –

RM - I am extremely sorry sir, but I do not have the OTR prices as yet. I expect to get it soon.

Me- The prices are way off! I was told the guidance figure of 8-12 lakhs

RM – Yes sir, they are little over, there was a slight variation from initial estimate

Me- 2%, 4% even 8% is a variation, 20+ % is a disaster, How do you justify the high price of Maruti?

RM – It is a premium crossover sir, it has many segment first features. It’s a NEXA car you are buying.

Me – I can afford the car still, but why should I pay you so much money? Would this car hold its value? What if I sell this car 3 years down, I suspect it would only fetch 5-6 lakhs, since spare would be in shortage and there wont be many car’s in circulation?

RM – Maruti always holds it value sir, you rest assured you would get the best of value when you sell it

Me – But you said it wasn’t Maruti, it was NEXA? Also Kizashi/ Vitara – both were awesome cars but did not sell too many because of pricing disaster.

RM – Yes Sir, price was too high for them

Me – Whats diff with S Cross, it too is going the same route?

RM – Yes Sir, I agree 1.6 is over priced …

Moment of silence, I plan to get the test drive still since i have waited for this car for so long, but our guys do not have the TD car yet!

So, tired of waiting for Scross (been tracking it since Nov last year). I do feel angry over the apathy shown by Maruti and the way things progressed with Nexa RM ( I would rather call him Relationship Damager). Our buddy was so confident of pricing, that seeing his confidence I had even ordered a set of alloys, which luckily weren’t shipped and the seller was kind enough to cancel the order.

Saddened by my experience with SCross, I headed to Hyundai Showroom. Upon enquiring about Creta with 3 different dealers, earliest delivery I was promised was only after 2 months.

But thanks to a good friend, one of the dealers agreed to deliver a White Creta SX by end of next week!! The only catch being that I was forced to buy an accessory pack from them. I opted for a Leather pack, which I anyways was planning to go for. I made the down payment and now wait for the car to be delivered now, tentative date being 18th August.

Last edited by Abhi99 : 7th August 2015 at 21:21.
Abhi99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 21:19   #934
BHPian

Hellooo people ...

Just back from a test drive of the DDiS 200. I will deliberately skip the beaten-to-pulp observations, but must mention that premiumness of the interiors and the superbly mature, yet stylish exteriors had me bowled over. I repeat, I was floored by the exterior, given that this was my first time with the X-over. The EcoSport, whose looks I'm an ardent fan of, appeared stunted in comparison (looks are subjective, no offense intended).

Now as far the TD goes, my idea was to experience driveability in slow moving and steady city conditions, especially since my highway usage will be under 10%.

Here are things that stood out for me:

Disclaimer: I have not driven the 1.3 avatar in any other MS car, in either state of tune, but have recently driven the Punto Evo 1.3, the Rapid 1.5, the EcoSport 1.5 and the City 1.5 - the latter two, quite extensively on long hires.

a. The Refinement - Man! There wasn't a single moment I felt I was driving a Diesel. Right from cranking up the engine to turning it off, the NVH levels bowled me over. Looks like the insulation and refinement are segment-top-notch. Essentially, I did not miss the sweet tone of my Esteem.

2. The Drive - I mentioned something about getting used to turbo lag a few days ago; appears I'm not even able to recognise it anymore. Maybe its just my style of driving (I've spent ~ 1.3 lakh KMS behind the wheel), but I was able to sail through bumper-bumper traffic in the 2nd gear and accelerate to 60 in the 3rd and 4th, without much effort. The turbo kick in beyond the 1700 mark is sweet rather than rapid. Gearshifts are butter smooth and slot very easily.

I did not have the chance to push the car beyond the 70 KMPH mark, but this is something I know wouldn't be possible in peak hour traffic. A longer TD has been promised on Wednesday.

3. The Clutch - You have to experience this to believe it. Of the Diesel MT avatars I have driven in recent months, the S-Cross has the smoothest clutch I have experienced (Rapid being the other extreme). I also liked the fact the the play is relatively short.

4. The Driving Position - I always admired the commanding position the EcoSport provides, but the seating position (height/incline) needed some adjustment. With the S-Cross I was feeling at perfect ease in multiple positions. The tilt and telescopic adjustment, which I find very essential in the Rapid (I'm 5' 10"), felt just like a good to have in the S-Cross. I thought the height adjustment did not have a great range though.

5. The rear bench - My parents and better half found the ingress and egress very easy (remember, I own the Esteem ), but the transmission beam was an unpleasant surprise. The width of the beam is comparatively wider than its height (Children may actually prefer to sit in the centre).

Minor observations (can be subjective, again):

1. MS has switched the turn indicators to the right - I had the wipers going swoosh thrice.

EDIT: The after effect of driving the EcoSport and the Rapid - I stand corrected, but still can't believe I wrote the above

2. The head rest at the back is a pain in the neck, literally.

3. The boot is very decent for my needs, what with a very easy to remove parcel shelf and equally easy to operate split mechanism.

4. The fit and finish are top notch by MS standards and the silver trim looks stunning.

5. The substitute RM was very patient and allowed me to take my time at checking out the car (there were other wannabees waiting and hence I was reasonable in my inspection)

All in all, I was fairly convinced about the car's performance at low to mid speeds, particularly city driveability, which is a major consideration for me (one of the reasons I have booked the Skoda DSG). I have finalised the Zeta 200 in Silver, with a final confirmation after the longish TD on Wednesday. Tentative delivery by the 4th week of August as I'm in the first batch.

Last edited by pannags : 7th August 2015 at 21:41. Reason: Corrected a "fact"!
pannags is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 21:21   #935
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
Swift/Ritz has FGT and 70bhp. The are as heavy as Ciaz, when comparing Weight to Power/Torque, they could be further lower isnt it? One of my friend owns a Verna and always amazed on Swifts overtaking him easily (he drives pretty fast). If they can keep up, S-Cross could also?
I agree that the Swift/Rits is FGT as compared to Ertiga/Ciaz and SCross being VGT.

I meant that the DDiS 200 engine is more suited for the smaller cars rather than the larger/heavier ones. May be a 1.5L diesel can be plonked into the Ciaz and Ertiga.
Old 7th August 2015, 21:31   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Minor observations (can be subjective, again):

1. MS has switched the turn indicators to the right - I had the wipers going swoosh thrice.
It was always the case isnt it? AFAIK, only Fords/Renaults do have it in the left. Am I missing something?
sathya_g_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 21:38   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
It was always the case isnt it? AFAIK, only Fords/Renaults do have it in the left. Am I missing something?
Oops, how could I?! The ill-effects of driving different cars in short intervals. You're absolutely right, I stand corrected.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 21:41   #938
BHPian

Quote:
I agree that the Swift/Rits is FGT as compared to Ertiga/Ciaz and SCross being VGT.

I meant that the DDiS 200 engine is more suited for the smaller cars rather than the larger/heavier ones. May be a 1.5L diesel can be plonked into the Ciaz and Ertiga.
If they intend to plonk the the 1.6 in the ertiga and the ciaz they need to get their brains in order first.

First and foremost, get the 1.6 locally produced. Come on how can you expect volumes at an infuriating price?

Second, work on the clutch and gearbox. The clutch is too heavy to be useful in indian driving conditions. They need to work that out first and if they can't, they shouldnt launch the 1.6 till they can mate it with the TCSS that is being launched.

Third get that 6 speed gearbox in order. The 5 speed that we see in the S cross is the same one that was in the other MSIL diesel cars but it has been refined. The same cannot be said about the 6 speed which is clunky.

The 1.6 needs to be tuned properly you can't have a mad dog left out on the streets like that. Get it in order and make all that power and torque usable in daily driving conditions. A bit of top end grunt can be sacrificed for better low end and mid range performance.

Last edited by rockporiom : 7th August 2015 at 22:09.
Old 7th August 2015, 21:42   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi99 View Post
But thanks to a good friend, one of the dealers agreed to deliver a White Creta SX by end of next week!! The only catch being that I was forced to buy an accessory pack from them. I opted for a Leather pack, which I anyways was planning to go for. I made the down payment and now wait for the car to be delivered now, tentative date being 18th August.
Me too booked a creta sx in silver.
But sure ll test drive the ddis 200 and ddis 320
If ddis 200 appeals to the heart, i will buy it.
If ddis 320 appeals to the heart, i will let it go.
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 22:09   #940
Senior - BHPian

MS should have tuned ddis 320 for a better bottom end. 250 nm of torque with 120 ps power was more than enough from a 1.6l engine. That would have been more drivable..

IMHO, MS has gone overboard on the state of tune for this car. Also, 1.3l diesel is small for a SUV.. ddis 250 with 1.6l would have been ideal.

Price is a lakh higher. But this can be subjective as the car is well built and a good handler.
Old 7th August 2015, 22:13   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Me too booked a creta sx in silver.
But sure ll test drive the ddis 200 and ddis 320
If ddis 200 appeals to the heart, i will buy it.
If ddis 320 appeals to the heart, i will let it go.
Congrats on booking the creta. BTW which engine did you go for? The 1.6 or 1.4? If its the 1.4 do check the ddis 200. The car is just too good. Get the zeta and later get the HID's as accessory which would cost about 30-40k. The car is completely VFM in the ddis 200 zeta variant.
Old 7th August 2015, 23:00   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Congrats on booking the creta. BTW which engine did you go for? The 1.6 or 1.4? If its the 1.4 do check the ddis 200. The car is just too good. Get the zeta and later get the HID's as accessory which would cost about 30-40k. The car is completely VFM in the ddis 200 zeta variant.
No. I booked the 1.6 SX at 13.34 L OTR Cochin
Shall check out the DDIS 200 Zeta which should cost around 11.5 OTR Cochin
The alpha is pegged at 12.7 OTR which is just 60k less than the Creta 1.6SX

Comparing the 1.3 alpha vs zeta the price difference is a whooping 1.2 L
For that you get
- Leather - Can be done outside for 30k
- HIDs - OEM at 40-45k

The price difference would still be 50k
Thats the price you pay for Cruise control, automatic headlamps and wipers
If you are not a leather freak you can save up to 80000
What can you do for 80000??
Alloys and Primacy for 30k
ICE for 45K
WOW

Shall be considering the 1.3 Delta DDIS 200.

If I am buying the Creta SX 1.6, I will have to spend 10 k for art leather seat covers, 12k for OEM reverse cam, 2k for steering cover, add a map my india navigation for 10k to equip it almost on par with the S cross. (interiors). So the total would come to 13.6L. May be add an ICE at 40K, total of 14L.

My heart is still with the S cross.

My 1.6 girlfriend has eloped with a richer brat. Either I can marry her 1.3 sister (They say she is crippled) who is sympathetic towards me ( and used to adore me ) or I can go for an arranged marriage with Ms Creta whom the world and my family likes. I am not sure as what to do. But they say, marriages are made in heaven, but not all are.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th August 2015 at 00:57. Reason: Post edited. Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
sandygordon is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 23:04   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

I have made a small comparison between Ertiga, Ciaz and the S-Cross. Looking at the table it should give out the average performance the cars must give out on the road.
Actually the weight of the DDIS 200 model is ~ 1200 kg and hence the power to weight ratio is ~75 which is pretty decent. And we know that the 0-100 is 13.5 for S-Cross as compared to 14.9(ACI) for Ertiga. So all in all I think S_cross 1.3 will be a decent, satisfactory performer overall. In fact, the older Laura and Jetta with their 108bhp 2.0 TDI had ~76 bhp/ton. So after reading that the ride and handling is near similar to the Jetta, you're getting the same driving experience(nearly) here.
Whichcarnow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 23:19   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
The price difference would still be 50k
Thats the price you pay for Cruise control, automatic headlamps and wipers
If you are not a leather freak you can save up to 80000
What can you do for 80000??
Alloys and Primacy for 30k
ICE for 45K
WOW

Shall be considering the 1.3 Delta DDIS 200.
Correction!! You get cruise control in Zeta, you even get the same ICE as Alpha. Things you will miss out on Zeta over top end Alpha are:
  • Auto HID & Wipers
  • Leather Package
  • Auto IRVM
BlueEyes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 23:22   #945
AWD
BHPian

Just occurred, isn't this similar to SRV, a vehicle that flopped big-time in Indian market ? If that flopped, wouldn't Scross get the same treatment ? I think that was the only premium hatch in India, or was there some other too ?
AWD is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks