Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2015, 23:32   #1006
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

So effectively the so called compact [pseudo] SUV bandwagon is useless, lets not call them SUVs to begin with [excluding the AWD versions, if any] and we are not even talking in 4X4 territory. In Bangalore spending 16-19 lakhs for the top end versions is just nuts for these cars. Now the Ecosport looks like some what of a honest car.

I'd rather buy a 3-4 years old, low mileage, well cared for - hold your breath - BMW X1. It is completely worth it as compared to the Creta, S-Cross, Duster, Terrano.
zulfi hansi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 00:55   #1007
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at the different price lists posted here, I thought that may be Maruti has priced the Zeta 200 DDiS at 9.99 Lacs ex-showroom Pan-India. However in our state(Jharkhand) it is priced at 10.05 lacs.
So looks like they made a nice study about the tax structure across different states. Nice move Maruti!!

S Cross Prices for Jharkhand(Since only Ranchi has got the Nexa outlet in the whole of Jharkhand(and Bihar probably)

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20150809wa0000.jpg

Regards

Last edited by Leoshashi : 9th August 2015 at 01:00.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 01:46   #1008
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been thinking of the service costs. How much would be S-Cross regular service going to cost?? 10K every time?? While people flock to buy the DDIS200 version, have they also made up their mind to spend additional as this is a premium product? (I assume all this 'premium' strategy is to earn some additional income from service too). Should be an interesting point to watch.

From all the TD reports, I am disappointed once again. How difficult is to make a (diesel) car with good insulation levels?! The diesel drone of the first gen Swift was maddening around 100 kmph & I always looked forward to a fairly silent driver's (diesel) car. Looks like the wait is still on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Will Nexa provide HIDs ? Even if they do, it will be at a premium or as part of some package, a la adventure edition in the duster. I think it will be priced close to 40 k minimum.
If this is an accessory, you might as well get the kit aftermarket & get it installed in the A$$. The Philips kit (4300K) would cost around 10-15K I guess.

Now, the problem is, when the bulbs are shot, one is looking at a cost of ~2500/- per bulb going by the rates I was told 3-4 years back, for Philips. Premium features do come at a price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
What difference does HID make wrt normal headlamps? Do they offer much better illumination?...
Not a stupid question at all. The illumination is far better when coupled with projector lens. Add to it, the style factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Someone said that RM was telling about Ciaz being added into Nexa showrooms. This will affect Scross sales.
So I don't think Suzuki would cannibalise Scross's sales by putting in Ciaz at Nexas, unless it wants to promote the latter more than the former.
Should Maruti worry? Its good for them that the customer opts for a Ciaz over Creta / Duster / Ecosport.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th August 2015 at 01:49.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 02:12   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Should Maruti worry? Its good for them that the customer opts for a Ciaz over Creta / Duster / Ecosport.
Maruti would indeed have to worry as internal competition would be fierce. The customer entering NEXA currently would make up his mind only on the S cross instead of the competition and a person entering a normal MSIL showroom with a budget of 10-11 lakhs would only make up his mind on the ciaz but if the Ciaz is added to NEXA majority of the mango people would go for the ciaz instead of the S cross and save some bucks while thinking they are getting more value in a bigger car.

This would destroy the S cross which would be a problem for Maruti as they would have invested a considerable amount to make the car here locally. The produced stock not getting sold would also cause a huge problem for the both the dealer as well as MSIL. Remember this product is not a CBU which means that simply discontinuing the product won't be cheap and easy. MSIL would have to focus on pitching the cars differently to customers so that none get swayed to the other.

Plus if a customer purchases a ciaz over the ecosport or creta it would completely beat the purpose of the S cross which is here to battle the above mentioned products. The ciaz is here for the city and verna where as the S cross is being positioned as the first and only car in its segment. The RM's don't compare it to the creta or the elite i20 they simply say that this is the first product in its segment. It is us or the consumer that compares the S cross to the various offerings in the market and not NEXA.

Last edited by rockporiom : 9th August 2015 at 02:17.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 07:23   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
Or Maruti might have a different plan to increase the price of 1.3 variants to make 1.6 a little more attractive. 1.6 is surely on an experimental run and once Maruti tunes it perfectly which they are very capable, they will start assembling locally and the prices may come down a little. Right now 1.3 s-cross is a hit and the prices will only go north. If they can sell 1 DDIS 320 for 10 DDIS 200 for the first year, they won't worry with the 1.6 volumes and pricing.

Ex showroom prices will not be reduced by any manufacturer. You may just get a few cash discounts, loyalty bonus, exchange bonus etc.no manufacturer admits a pricing fiasco. BMW just reduced 1lakh on their 3 series after the big make in India campaign. Again if you don't buy your cars now you will be paying more in a year. Maruti will not assemble this motor here unless the volumes improve.
Old 9th August 2015, 11:28   #1011
BHPian

As I said on the thread before, I cancelled the booking and I have purchased a used Ritz diesel Vdi and a used Gen 2 Swift petrol Zxi. 2 cars for less than half of price of ddis 320.. All is well in the world.
Manoj2268 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 11:30   #1012
BHPian

The S-Cross Sigma looks like a very compelling deal. Anyone's seen how this base variant looks in the flesh?

Specs suggest it'll have the B-pillar blackout along with body colored mirrors and door handles. No roof rail (ok) and no wheel caps (Yikes!).

The latter may not matter to someone who'll get their own alloys anyway.
Old 9th August 2015, 12:10   #1013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
The S-Cross Sigma looks like a very compelling deal. Anyone's seen how this base variant looks in the flesh?
See post 468 for more on the Sigma variant. You can add some accessories like fog lamp etc. ( see the accessory list )

Sigma Vs Alpha ( pic - courtesy - The Automotive India)

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20150803_124113.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th August 2015 at 12:13.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 12:35   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
However in our state(Jharkhand) it is priced at 10.05 lacs.
So looks like they made a nice study about the tax structure across different states. Nice move Maruti!!
Bang on Leoshashi. They know how to get the volumes.

BTW, I must say the taxes in Jharkand make the Alpha 200 look like VFM and the Zeta, a fantastic buy!
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 13:15   #1015
BHPian

I'd like to say this in Jeremy Clarkson way- Welcome to the new world of Nexa super premium showroom. Here you will get a super premium crossover (eh hatchback?) at 14L. Although if you pay a couple more lakh of your hard earned money, you'll get twice a better car with twice the space and comfort,build quality,driving pleasure and all in the likes of Jetta/Octavia. Welcome to the super luxurious world of MSIL Indians.

In one line this car is grossly overpriced. Forget the 1.6, even the 1.3 swift engine will cost you nearly 11L for the Alpha model. So does anyone here think that the car is premium enough to cost twice that of Swift with the exact same engine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Carpainter : 9th August 2015 at 13:20.
Old 9th August 2015, 13:20   #1016
Senior - BHPian

It's unfortunate but yesterday my preferred RM called me and asked me to come for a TD, but I discussed with him for a few minutes and informed him my decision to cancel my booking of the 1.6 Alpha. He understood why and also didn't push me to consider another variant or engine choice. He really delivered the premium experience till the very end.

We did exchange about the 1.6 prices and he agreed it wasn't aggressive & competitive. Once an email requesting cancellation is done, I'll have the full refund before mid next week.

Anyone who wants to get handled by a great RM, please reach out to Deepu at the Bimal NEXA showroom on Outer Ring Road. He's worth anyone's time.

So long, S-Cross. The excitement was good while it lasted.
k_ajay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 13:30   #1017
BHPian

Here is the complete pricelist for Mumbai, useless for me but someone may find it useful.

Now sure what My Nexa Card charges are.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-image2.png  

Abhi99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 13:39   #1018
BHPian

Now ciaz is getting lauched with a Hybrid system this month. Why couldn't they introduce this in DDIS 320? They could have given this only to the 320 which would have helped them in justifying the premium. Not that the system is worth that much but at least they would have had something to justify the premium apart from the engine and gearbox. Doesn't look like the Ciaz would get the 1.6 anytime soon. Got a call from my dealer that stock is being cleared which is the very reason they have announced discount for the first time I asked him if he would book the new upcoming variant for me instead. He said he wasn't sure if they were permitted to take bookings for the upcoming Ciaz as the rumours are it is going to be shifted to NEXA with some updates.

Last edited by rockporiom : 9th August 2015 at 13:40.
Old 9th August 2015, 13:46   #1019
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

My parents and I went to the Nexa Showroom today and spent a lot of time poking about the Suzuki S Cross. Of all the variants on offer it is very clear that the Alpha MT S Cross 1.6 DDIS is the best by far. It costs 17.69 Lacs on Road in Bangalore.

We test drove the vehicle and quite enjoyed it. Empty Bangalore roads on Sunday were a definite plus, on the test drive.

Im not reviewing this in detail - just merely placing some simple points on record and in no particular order. This is just for information as my set of simple impressions.

1.The interiors are spacious and while the upholstery may be black, one does not feel claustrophic in the vehicle on account of the large glass area. By contrast, the Creta feels a little claustrophobic in the rear owing to its high waistline.

2.The rear seats do not have adequate under thigh support. Nor does the Creta. However ingress and egress from all seats is pretty good in both these vehicles. Even the doors open nice and wide.

3.It is sad that the S Cross also, like the Creta, does not have a height adjustment lever for the front Passenger seat.

4.I m not pleased that they have chosen fit to only give 2 airbags in front instead of 6 airbags even at this price.

5.I am however, happy about the vehicle having all 4 Disc brakes.

6.The front seats are very comfortable indeed but could have had better under thigh support.

7. The seating position is high and the view is excellent.

8. The headroom in front is perfectly fine however, the headroom at the rear is a bit constrained - I have hardly got a couple of cm between the top of my head and the roof when sitting in the upright position in the rear seat. Im forced to sit like this if I want thigh support. However, if I slump a bit I lose thigh support but gain headroom.

9. Being tall, I find that the bottom of the head rest at the rear, sits a little uncomfortably between my shoulder blades.

10. The engine is extremely quiet and one feels the kick and punchiness in the 1.6 litre 125 BHP unit which develops 320Nm of Torque. Being a 2WD the clutch is really light and the vehicle is extremely responsive (quite like the 2WD Yeti though this vehicle does not feel as solid as the Yeti). One feels the Turbo charger kicking in at about 1800-odd Rpm but it is not obtrusive at all.

11. The cornering ability is pretty good too, the vehicle does NOT feel unsettled at all.

12. The braking ability is great, with the ABS kicking in nicely if hard braking is done.

13. The ride quality is excellent. It feels very comfortable over speed breakers and over bumps. One does not suffer with those horrible thuds and thumps at all, ground clearance being quite high at 185 mm. This is contributed to by the higher sidewall profile of the tyres on their 16 inch alloys. (The Yeti sits squatter because the sidewall profile is lower and the tyres are slightly fatter than those of the S Cross).

14. The controls and steering wheel etc are very comfortable, though the steering is quite light and lacks much feedback. Great for ladies and for city driving for sure.

15. The vehicle itself feels light and agile but lacks the solidity and "planted feel" of the heavier Crossover vehicles like the Yeti and the Duster.

16. The suspension is fantastic and I would say it is very comparable to the Duster's in terms of overall comfort, though the Duster might have a small edge.

17. The load carrying capacity is pretty nice with its 353 litre boot (with the seats up) which expands to about 375 odd litres with one rear seat down and 800 litres with the seats fully folded. The 60:40 split seats are nice and the load bay becomes nearly flat when they are down. However, this car also fails my Lateral Golf Bag test, since it is not quite wide enough.

18. They've given a full sized spare tyre and thats great for India.

19. The overall dimensions of the vehicle are nice for the city and little bit of country roading for a small urban family of a couple and their 2 kids OR their 2 dogs and a bit of luggage.
The vehicle is very similar in size to the Skoda Yeti and indeed bumper to bumper it measures 4300mm which is a bit more than the 4223 mm of the Yeti.

20. The black 'man made" leather upholstery and fit and finish in the S Cross are very good indeed. It certainly feels more premium than the Creta from the inside. The jumbo box in the centre of the front two seats is quite spacious. Little touches like that sunglass holder and neatly placed cubby holes are useful.

21. The soft touch surface in the SCross is limited - the lower dashboard and a part of the armrests have it but the upper dashboard and fascia etc are all of the normal hard plastic as are the doors etc. However, there are soft touch patches on the doors which is a nice thing.

22. Perhaps feature for feature, the S Cross may not have the same number of gimmicks and gizmos as the Creta but overall, it is a very neat package indeed.

23. I appreciate they have provided the Touchscreen in the Top Spec but frankly this touch screen is nowhere near that of the Skoda Yeti's.

24. There is a marked lack of other things like Hill Hold and so on.

25. There is no AT variant and there are no petrol variants at all in this vehicle. I think they would do very well if they could give an AT variant and introduce a top spec Petrol too.

26. While the vehicle does not have a second row AC Vent, the AC itself is very powerful and the Top Spec vehicle comes with Climate Control etc - however, the whole Control Package is not in the same class as that of my Yeti.

27. They ought to have considered one version with more safety kit, Stability Control and 4WD/AWD etc at least as an option for consumers.

28. The load carrying capacity, the vario-flexi seating, luggage compartment capacity and 4WD and all the other frills of the Yeti put that car in a completely different class. In terms of quality there is no comparison really.

29. Comparing the S Cross and Creta, very frankly at these prices and with these features, one would be quite hard pressed to make the choice! The Creta is a bit bigger (like a scaled down Santa Fe) and looks a bit more aggressive if that's what one wants in one's Quasi SUV/ Crossover. Both the S Cross and the Creta are better in terms of overall solid feel than their other cousins from their own stables, but they are a long way even now, from the Euro Solid monsters.

30. I liked the finish inside the bonnet of the S Cross too - they've provided the insulating damper as standard and not done cost cutting on that! Also, one can see the 4 ABS leads going into the vehicle distributing themselves to the 4 wheels. ABS used here is the 8.1 version. TPMS can be retro fitted / upgraded I believe.

31. Overall this is an expensive car at 17.69 Lacs. When I go back 4 years and see that for just a couple of lacs more I was able to get my Yeti which has so much more than this vehicle, I am shocked at inflationary influences that clearly are causing these manufacturers to raise prices like this and provide less and less!

32. I still wonder why a car priced at 17.69 Lacs as this S Cross is can't give us 6 Airbags!

33. The Creta Top Spec SX+(O) appears to have 6, and appears to be priced at about the same level.

34. The S Cross offers a 4 year Extended Warranty at about Rs 20K whereas the Creta gives one a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty as standard.

35. All in all this is a hard choice to make for someone in the market, who is considering his/ her options between these two vehicles.

36.For me, however, the prize for a more "Premium Feel" goes to S Cross vs Creta and the combination of compactness, the all important 4 wheel disc brakes and the 1.6 DDIS engine may actually win.

37. The Music System is ok. Sounds ok. But frankly a long way from the Euro vehicles in terms of quality and depth of sound.

However, there are clearly glaring gaps in these vehicles, when I sit and compare them with my Yeti. Saying that, both these vehicles offer a lot for the lifestyle seeking, aspirational, young and prosperous urban yuppie couple with their kids and/or dogs.

These types of vehicles definitely liberate us from the mundane and lift one's spirits up, when compared to the more staid and fuddy-duddy Exec sedans.

Yes, we all know that about 90% of the buyers will be simple regular joes with no zeal for adventure at all and they will probably spend most of their time commuting in bumper to bumper city traffic between computer screen to computer screen, but hey, thats what cars do for us don't they? They give us a sense of "La Liberte"!

Looks like the Crossover Revolution is well under way and these vehicles are here to stay for some time at least. Clearly, Hyundai and Maruti will be laughing all the way to the bank, for some time to come!

A small addition - at NEXA on the corner of Museum Road Bangalore, contact Mr Prince Samuel, the Relationship Manager. Very helpful and obliging. Excellent Sales Attitude.

Last edited by Eddy : 9th August 2015 at 14:46. Reason: spacing for better readability
shankar.balan is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 13:55   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Although if you pay a couple more lakh of your hard earned money, you'll get twice a better car with twice the space and comfort,build quality,driving pleasure and all in the likes of Jetta/Octavia. Welcome to the super luxurious world of MSIL Indians.

In one line this car is grossly overpriced. Forget the 1.6, even the 1.3 swift engine will cost you nearly 11L for the Alpha model. So does anyone here think that the car is premium enough to cost twice that of Swift with the exact same engine. Correct me if I'm wrong.
1.6 is overpriced but compare it with Jetta/Octavia feature by feature and you well not find them twice as good as Scross.
Give me Swift at half the price of 1.3 Alpha and I will buy it instantly.

Most Viewed