Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 15:40   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
- While dimensions are big it doesn't have the presence of the Creta or the Ecosport. Not a single person looked at the car when we were test driving.
- When you sit in the Creta you get this premium feel. It was missing here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I agree and even I don't think road presence is something which every one looks for. (Maybe initial period yes at best).
One might agree to one and disagree with the other or vice versa. But the fact remains that the S Cross never had the charisma to attract eyes which the Swift did in 2005 and the Ecosport in 2013. I experienced both.

Last edited by rajeev k : 10th August 2015 at 15:56.
Old 10th August 2015, 15:59   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm not in the market for an S-Cross and would never buy a car that looks like it. It simply lacks character and looks too old / boring.
I beg to differ on the looks part. The S-Cross is definitely not a head turner, but has very mature looks and graceful styling. This is from someone who has always admired the looks of the likes of the VW Golf, the Nissan Qashqai, and therefore, not very surprising.

Quote:
But if I'm going to live with a car for many years, it had better bring a smile to my face every time I drive it. I'd rather have the best-in-class engine than 3 lakhs in the bank. The heart keeps me happier than a heavier wallet would. End of the day, some things are more important than calculations & cost / benefit analysis.
Very well said and I definitely think so too, although, sometimes the proposition of opportunity cost creeps in unannounced.

Last edited by pannags : 10th August 2015 at 16:02. Reason: Added content
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 16:06   #1053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
One might agree to one and disagree with the other or vice versa. But the fact remains that the S Cross never had the charisma to attract eyes which the Swift did in 2005 and the Ecosport in 2013. I experienced both.
Totally understand the point. And also the point GTO conveys. But then if that was always the case, one wont find Toyotas selling so much (With no disrespect to Toyota of course). Every one including me has the battle of heart vs mind. But in the end it also at some point in time gets over ridden by one's own priorities and budget requirements.

About road presence: I would actually like a car which would NOT make its presence felt. I would like it to do its job silently without attracting attention. Food for a counter thought ?

But I surely wont compromise on quality and performance that I would require. Those aspects I dont want to sacrifice within the confines of what is available in the market. When I chose the Duster for example, I accepted the spartan interiors for GC, high seating, a frugal engine and space in terms of what was available then. So will be the case for many who may chose the DDIS200. Nothing wrong with such a choice. Its after all one's own preference.

Last edited by ampere : 10th August 2015 at 16:23.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 16:34   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, if for any reason I was buying the S-Cross, I would get the 1.6L only.
Come on! Give the car some credit. It has better build quality, fit & finish and is well-equipped when compared to any Maruti on sale today. Not only that, it rides very Euro car-like and its high speed manners are almost Jetta territory. While I agree that it isn't a head turner, it has its fair share of strengths which make it quite competent in its segment.

Quote:
But if I'm going to live with a car for many years, it had better bring a smile to my face every time I drive it. I'd rather have the best-in-class engine than 3 lakhs in the bank. The heart keeps me happier than a heavier wallet would.
Absolutely

Just a thought: Ideally, if I was looking for a car in that segment, I'd consider the 1.3L DDiS Zeta (yet to drive but based on user reports) and save Rs. 3 lakhs over the corresponding 1.6L variant. With that much money to spare, Rs. 40K for better wheels and tyres, Rs. 40k for HID + projectors and spend the rest of the saved cash on performance upgrades / tuning box (stage 2 or stage 3); and there you have it - a personalized S-Cross that you would look forward to driving on a daily basis, which will leave you with a wide grin each time you floor the throttle!
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 17:02   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Come on! Give the car some credit. It has better build quality, fit & finish and is well-equipped when compared to any Maruti on sale today. Not only that, it rides very Euro car-like and its high speed manners are almost Jetta territory. While I agree that it isn't a head turner, it has its fair share of strengths which make it quite competent in its segment.

Absolutely

Just a thought: Ideally, if I was looking for a car in that segment, I'd consider the 1.3L DDiS Zeta (yet to drive but based on user reports) and save Rs. 3 lakhs over the corresponding 1.6L variant. With that much money to spare, Rs. 40K for better wheels and tyres, Rs. 40k for HID + projectors and spend the rest of the saved cash on performance upgrades / tuning box (stage 2 or stage 3); and there you have it - a personalized S-Cross that you would look forward to driving on a daily basis, which will leave you with a wide grin each time you floor the throttle!
I have different view for those who actually have enough money and want to spend that 3 L, just buy a 3 year old, run less than 30 k kms X1! There is no comparison in any aspect, far more superior car.
Old 10th August 2015, 17:18   #1056
BANNED

I like power so it would be 320 all the way.

The way I look at it, there is no 320 Nm manual at 17 Lakhs. The next 320 Nm manual would be the Octavia at 22 Lakhs.

The S Cross gets you the same torque 5 Lakhs cheaper with fantastic service and Japanese reliability.

The advantages of the extra torque at that price makes any disadvantage it may have insignificant.

For Maruti's sake, I hope it doesnt follow the example set by the Kizashi.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 17:25   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Performance:
DDiS320:
- One word : Insane!!
- It's like an on/off switch. Hit 2000rpm and all passengers slam their heads against the head rests. Gives head banging a new meaning. Acceleration is quite insane and scary at times.

Quote:

However, if for any reason I was buying the S-Cross, I would get the 1.6L only.
Hey Vid6639/GTO, can one of you answer the queries that one of my cousin has, as he is currently in the market for new car purchase. He has the following criteria:

- Has to be a 1.6 engine under the hood. So he has already eliminated the Ventos, Rapids, Elite, Evo 90HP. Apparently the new Verna 1.6 CRDI has also not impressed him.

- After driving my 1.6 GT, he outright rejected the 1.5 GT as it did not give him the same hooliganism. So he wanted to know if the DDiS 320 is just as or more potent than the Polo 1.6 GT ?

- He has no constraints on the budget and all he wants to have is Fun to Drive diesel car under 15lks. At the moment, only the S-cross DDIS 320 fits the requirement.

- Though he is aware of the Punto Abarth TJet launch, he is a bit interested in knowing if this DDIS 320 may find its way to probably a Ciaz or Swift in the coming months ?

Really appreciate your time.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 10th August 2015 at 17:29.
Old 10th August 2015, 17:28   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Ex showroom prices will not be reduced by any manufacturer. You may just get a few cash discounts, loyalty bonus, exchange bonus etc.no manufacturer admits a pricing fiasco. BMW just reduced 1lakh on their 3 series after the big make in India campaign. Again if you don't buy your cars now you will be paying more in a year. Maruti will not assemble this motor here unless the volumes improve.
MSIL will be using this 1.6L engine for the next three years after which they would do a VW and launch a SMC developed locally manufactured 1.5L (D) engine. Expect the 1.5L sometime in 2018.
Old 10th August 2015, 19:20   #1059
BHPian

Friends, anyone has the S-Cross price list from Tamil Nadu? I am not sure if the Coimbatore and Chennai Nexa showrooms are fully operational now. Any fellow BHP-ian got a chance to visit them? Please let me know if you have any information on this. Thanks!!
Old 10th August 2015, 19:37   #1060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Friends, anyone has the S-Cross price list from Tamil Nadu? I am not sure if the Coimbatore and Chennai Nexa showrooms are fully operational now. Any fellow BHP-ian got a chance to visit them? Please let me know if you have any information on this. Thanks!!

See post # 990. Posting again for your ref.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20150808wa0008.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 19:45   #1061
BHPian

I ve booked the Creta SX 1.6.
My confusion is between
S cross 1.3 Zeta (11.1LOTR) vs Creta SX (13.4L OTR) vs 1.6 Delta (14.2LOTR)
My Nexa RM was a guy with no patience, reported it to Nexa Kochi, they promptly replaced him with a new RM. I have asked for TD of both 1.3 and 1.6 on Wednesday. Will be driving both and taking a decision.

1.3 delta would need headlamps + shoe and alloy replacement (30k+30k+36k) pegging it at almost 15+ L OTR. So, even if its a good deal, I wont be going for that price point.
So eventually I have to decide between 1.3 Zeta (+ remap/RD box + Michelin primacy + alloys + 30 k ICE + HID headlamps - 12.5 L OTR) vs 1.6 Creta SX (+30k ICE + HID conversion k + OEM Verna reverse cam - at 13.9L OTR).

Last edited by Eddy : 10th August 2015 at 21:11. Reason: corrected typo
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 20:32   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I have different view for those who actually have enough money and want to spend that 3 L, just buy a 3 year old, run less than 30 k kms X1! There is no comparison in any aspect, far more superior car.
Sounds interesting Zulfi, but we cannot ignore the aspect of operational costs, can we?! The service costs for a premium Nexa will still be way lower than the Bavarian roadster.
Old 10th August 2015, 21:18   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
So eventually I have to decide between 1.3 Zeta (+ remap/RD box + Michelin primacy + alloys + 30 k ICE + HID headlamps - 12.5 L OTR) vs 1.6 Creta SX (+30k ICE + HID conversion k + OEM Verna reverse cam - at 13.9L OTR).
I can relate to that scenario. Having waited endlessly for SCross, the price was a major let down. I thought hard and relaized that at this price point 1.6 wont be a hit as such and hence in the long run may face spare shortage and may not fetch good value in second hand market (whenever i upgrade). Hence 1.6 was out of picture for me.

1.3 did not appeal since i have had the same engine in 3 different cars and i simply needed a bigger one this time. I took the TD of Creta and came out impressed. Power delivery is linear, car is more or less comfortable and sweetest of all, retails atleast 1.5 L less than 1.6 Delta.
Abhi99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 21:29   #1064
BHPian

Dream MOD on the 1.3 Okay

DREAM MOD on the 1.3 Okay scenario (1.3 delta)
Avid photo-shoppers - Please help me
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20150803_124113.jpg  

Old 10th August 2015, 21:37   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Today I saw a blue S Cross on the road. While I had seen the car in display it did seem like having some presence. However, today the S Cross was followed by an older i20. Both the cars took a U turn in front of me. Got to say this, the SCross looked as dated as the older i20 and did not look even half a size bigger. Buyers will have a hard time explaining why this car is so much more expensive specially DDIS320

Last edited by vibbs : 10th August 2015 at 21:38.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed