Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 14:14   #1096
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
I'm afraid the taxes are 18.87% for all vehicles over 10 lakhs, ex-factory.
thank you!! do you know where on the RTO site I can look this up for future reference?
Old 11th August 2015, 14:45   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
thank you!! do you know where on the RTO site I can look this up for future reference?
You're most welcome. Actually, its a shame that their website is not updated and shows details from the notice issued in 2010. The taxes, however, have been promptly hiked!

http://rto.kar.nic.in/KMVTA%202010.pdf

BTW, here is the attachment I posted earlier:
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-roadtax2015.jpg  

pannags is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 14:51   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
You're most welcome. Actually, its a shame that their website is not updated and shows details from the notice issued in 2010. The taxes, however, have been promptly hiked!

http://rto.kar.nic.in/KMVTA%202010.pdf

BTW, here is the attachment I posted earlier:

Thanks much for the information. That explains why I was stuck with 17%. Since there were no updates, I guessed that the existing rates are in force.
Old 11th August 2015, 21:49   #1099
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I am not sure why Suzuki went for such tame designing on the crossover. Even though I prefer sedate looks, some changes to the front grille can bring a lot of aggression and character to the car. I had posted these edits in the older S-Cross thread, posting it again since the discussion has come up.

Below are the crude edits I did using Snagit. Experts in Photoshop can definitely do a better job. Pardon the attempt if you find it to be bad.

Attachment 1402174

Attachment 1402175
Function over Form. Signs of a slowly maturing market at least in the urban world. Your renditions are both Volvo-esque and Audi-esque. But no longer is the buyer as moved by "presence" or "head turning ability".
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 22:00   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
. But no longer is the buyer as moved by "presence" or "head turning ability".
Don't agree. A car is just not about necessity and practicality...it's also about desirability and personality. A car, particularly above 10 lakhs needs to look the part at least to the owner, IMO. It's just not what other think about the car...it's about how I feel every time I look at my car.

If what you said is true, companies should not invest in the exterior design of the car in which case our roads will be filled with ugly but highly practical vehicles. Not a pretty sight.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 22:13   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Function over Form. Signs of a slowly maturing market at least in the urban world. Your renditions are both Volvo-esque and Audi-esque. But no longer is the buyer as moved by "presence" or "head turning ability".
Don't agree at all. Please speak for yourself and all other S-Cross buyers or lovers but I just abhor this car. A thing of beauty indeed is a joy. Ever wondered why people flock to sleek low-riding super cars and take pics. Most do not know all the technology under the hood and many do not care either. But they are all drawn to the ooomph looks these cars ooze even when they are parked. I don't understand why would anyone buy an ugly car. We are not in 70s USSR where you have Hobson's choice. I JUST CANNOT STAND UGLY CARS. PERIOD. My concern is if such cars sell, we will see more and more ugly cars. Even today, yester-years cars like Lancers, Civics, Cruzes turn heads.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 22:40   #1102
Distinguished - BHPian

Now why hasn't Suzuki added SVHS in SCross? It would have justified the prices further. Instead, they choose a model that sells well, discontinue it and introduce the new technology in it, and sell at a higher cost! So much for adding a companion to scross at Nexa showrooms.
Old 11th August 2015, 23:01   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Don't agree. A car is just not about necessity and practicality...it's also about desirability and personality. A car, particularly above 10 lakhs needs to look the part at least to the owner, IMO.
Agree with you on this

I just saw a review of the UK Skoda Yeti by a British channel, where they compare it with the Suzuki SCross 1.6 diesel. Apparently the SCross in 1.6 diesel guise is more expensive that the Yeti!!

Now I am confused whether to be happy that the SCross is priced far cheaper here, or to be upset that the Yeti is highly overpriced :P They do say that a lot of the features that come as standard here are optional extras that you need to pay more for in the UK. Not sure if that is a good strategy for Skoda India. Wish there was a Yeti Ambition and Ambition 4x4 at the very least at around 17-18L on road. That would be brilliant!

However, that could point to why Maruti had their price ranges mixed up from an Indian perspective. The base models of the SCross start cheaper there too, but they must have been thinking that the 1.6 is cheaper than the Yeti by almost 10L in India, so that's a steal!!
Old 11th August 2015, 23:11   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
I agree that the market is maturing and buyers are ready to look beyond the looks, but the fact is that the first impression of a car is made by the looks. Let us not discount the role of looks in the success of a car so easily. For me, the car should go with my personality - so I prefer a classy but sedate looking than a flamboyant car. But I will never go for car that I feel is ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Don't agree at all. Please speak for yourself and all other S-Cross buyers or lovers but I just abhor this car. A thing of beauty indeed is a joy.

I JUST CANNOT STAND UGLY CARS. PERIOD. My concern is if such cars sell, we will see more and more ugly cars. Even today, yester-years cars like Lancers, Civics, Cruzes turn heads.
Pgsagar sir, with all due respect - you have repeated that you HATE the looks of S-Cross so many times in this thread that it has become VERY REPETITIVE. I kindly request you to stop commenting on the looks of S-Cross as your view is now very very clear. You think the car is ugly, but there are scores of members here in this very forum who like the looks and prefer these kind of looks. Please respect their views also.

There is much more to a car than looks and why don't we discuss any of that? If you cannot get past the looks, wouldn't it be better not to comment on that any more? Comments like this break the healthy discussion that is happening in this thread and this coming from a senior member like you is not healthy for this forum. Please consider my request.
Vigkey is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 06:45   #1105
BHPian

The day has come. I ll have to take a decision soon.
I am eagerly waiting for the S cross test drive. Hoping the 'premium' nexa RM will allot both cars for test drive today itself. The Nexa Cochin show room is going to be operational only on Monday I think. I ll be trying to TD the Creta as well today evening.

For me the sales team at Hyundai was far better than those in the Maruti Nexa. 0 points to Cochin Sai Service for that. Nexa guys are typical Kochi arrogant brats who feel they sell BMWs and Mercs. They feel the product to be so good that customers would flock to the show room for the product and not their service.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 07:21   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Yet to take a drive. Friends tell me Nexa is not open for TDs yet here at Kochi. Kerala is a very strong market for MSIL cars and that's very poor show from them to be this unprepared.

And going by the reports thus far, it looks DDiS200 will be a good option for someone living in Kerala. It looks far more livable in daily traffic and you don't lose anything else over the DDiS320 variant on variant apart from explosive binary power. For me at least, the DDiS200 is much worth a shout unless you own a 900 acres farmland in Ooty growing Pear and do interstate runs often. If the cost difference wasn't this big, maybe the 320 would have made a bigger case for itself.

Also, I feel MSIL would have done well to rework on the turbo and the torque map for the DDiS320 for our country. You know, a peak torque of say 280Nm with a flatter curve which starts nice and early. Would have made a stellar engine for daily drive.

Eager to drive both back to back.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 07:23   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Yet to take a drive. Friends tell me Nexa is not open for TDs yet here at Kochi. Kerala is a very strong market for MSIL cars and that's very poor show from them to be this unprepared.
They have started TDs only for those who have pre-booked the car.
Old 12th August 2015, 08:47   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Here's the torque curve for the 1.6 i found in the internet. It says to me that

from 1500 rpm onwards, i am very dependable and have already surpassed the DDiS 200, Ecosport diesel, et al.

at around 1700 rpm, i surpass the hyundai's peak torque;

And at 2000 rpm, your journey is very lonely.

So i would take the 'below 2000 rpm dead' words with a bucket load of salt unless these numbers are faked.

Source: fiatforum
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-torque.jpg  

ramzsys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 09:04   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
They have started TDs only for those who have pre-booked the car.
LOL! So, one needs to spare 11k for a TD is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
So i would take the 'below 2000 rpm dead' words with a bucket load of salt unless these numbers are faked.
A graph from a dynorun is a bit like ARAI certified fuel efficiency numbers. Both are too utopian to form conclusive opinion on a car. Good references, that all! A real world test drive will be much better to know how a car or an engine behaves.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 09:18   #1110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Also, I feel MSIL would have done well to rework on the turbo and the torque map for the DDiS320 for our country. You know, a peak torque of say 280Nm with a flatter curve which starts nice and early. Would have made a stellar engine for daily drive.

Eager to drive both back to back.
No!!!!! I hope MSIL does not do this. It will ruin the character of the car. MSIL will end up tuning it for mileage and will remove the turbo kick and make it more linear.

That's the biggest grouse with teh new Swift vs the earlier first gen car. The car is perfect for enthusiasts whereas commuters will hate it.

The car is a pain to drive in city but worth the pain when you give it an open stretch of road and press that loud pedal.

I hope the car doesn't sell well and MSIL start discounting it before they start fingering the engine and localizing it.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed